• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The new president of the HOA for complex where my rental townhome is located is getting on my nerves. I inquired about the assessment for exterior painting; I have received 5 text from back to back over the course of an hour and none of them answers my question. I am pretty sure two of the text were sent by accident unless she wanted me to know that she had to take Aunt Sue to the pharmacy to get a flu shot and she asked if I needed any q-tips.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm back in the office today for a hearing and using my dual monitors for the first time since March. I'm so used to the little laptop screen now that these dual monitors are hurting my eyes and my brain. . . :eek: That's what I get for complaining about how little the laptop screen was, back in March. :p

DVD

Cyburbian
Well? Do you need q-tips?

Got my new headset from work yesterday. It's the boss's effort to keep this work at home thing going smooth. He's hoping for more work at home when this is all over.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just had some yogurt - I usually don't like yogurt but this wasn't bad - needs to be like pudding for me to like it

I hated yogurt as a kid but when I was in the Marines I found myself the recipient of a case of cups of strawberry and raspberry yogurt that "fell off a truck" and I decided to try one and realized I actually loved yogurt. It's quite possible that I never actually ate it as a kid and it was one of those things that I refused to ever try but hated nonetheless.

These days we go through a lot of yogurt in our house. I have a bowl of plain yogurt or plain greek yogurt with some honey and Grape Nuts for breakfast nearly every day and then occasionally have a little cup of a flavored yogurt as a snack later in the day or before bed.

I do try to avoid the flavored ones because there is a lot of added sugar in them but they are tasty. My favorite flavor is lemon. Unfortunately, I can never seem to find big tubs of lemon flavored yogurt at the store.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It actually was purchased at a local second hand store that is associated with our regional nonprofit Hospice organization. They get alot of estate donations from households that get closed out and it is often very lightly, if barely ever used, furniture.

Mine was one that surely came out of some front living room that was only used for family pictures on Easter and Christmas, but never used the rest of the year. It was about $250 at this store and in mint condition. I like it for its muted (retro) chic design and that its a full 6.5-7 ft long couch, which let's my 6'-1" frame fully stretch out on it.

:)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Today is a big deal in my office - our office manager named Karen is retiring after working here for 28 yrs.

That also means I move up in longevity in the office to being # 2.
Karen is probably not a 'Karen' though, right?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Today is a big deal in my office - our office manager named Karen is retiring after working here for 28 yrs.

That also means I move up in longevity in the office to being # 2.
Are you aiming for #1? What's it going to take to get that top spot?

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Well? Do you need q-tips?

Got my new headset from work yesterday. It's the boss's effort to keep this work at home thing going smooth. He's hoping for more work at home when this is all over.
I didn't need any more. My wife seems to buy a big pack of them ever third trip to the store so we have enough for now.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Few things are as 2020 as a Zamboni Catching Fire:

Mrs. Bubba brought up something while we were cleaning up after dinner last night as another reason why 2020 sucks, and I honestly can't remember what it was - that's how numb I've become to this year.

In other news, it's still warm enough here that I'm working barefooted today, so at least I got that going for me, which is nice...

Veloise

Cyburbian
I hated yogurt as a kid but when I was in the Marines I found myself the recipient of a case of cups of strawberry and raspberry yogurt that "fell off a truck" and I decided to try one and realized I actually loved yogurt. It's quite possible that I never actually ate it as a kid and it was one of those things that I refused to ever try but hated nonetheless.

These days we go through a lot of yogurt in our house. I have a bowl of plain yogurt or plain greek yogurt with some honey and Grape Nuts for breakfast nearly every day and then occasionally have a little cup of a flavored yogurt as a snack later in the day or before bed.

I do try to avoid the flavored ones because there is a lot of added sugar in them but they are tasty. My favorite flavor is lemon. Unfortunately, I can never seem to find big tubs of lemon flavored yogurt at the store.
Noosa offers larger-sized containers of lemon.

For a while the Greek Gods brand offered chocolate yogurt in a quart container. Best part was the top right after opening, layered with bubbles and almost spongey, in a way. Yum. Of course it was discontinued.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Today is Friday. Friday means that tomorrow is Saturday. Saturday is going to be busy. But I am okay with that. Wanted you to know. Carry on.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Noosa offers larger-sized containers of lemon.

For a while the Greek Gods brand offered chocolate yogurt in a quart container. Best part was the top right after opening, layered with bubbles and almost spongey, in a way. Yum. Of course it was discontinued.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the larger lemon ones from Noosa. I really like their lemon yogurt but all I ever see are the single-serving ones. Maybe eventually I'll venture out to a different grocery store.

Last time I went to the store I got a pint container of salted caramel from Greek Gods. It's really good but it's a bit too sweet for me so I usually have to do a half a serving of that and a half serving of plain yogurt to sort of cut it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Nothing like having one contractor find a problem that leads to having to get a different contractor to fix that new problem. :(

So some of our landscape work is postponed, but the remainder can be done while we get the other contractor out here. Fun times. But, if we hadn't had the landscaper here, and he hadn't been digging/pulling out old stuff, we would not have found the new problem. Apparently, we caught it early, and it could be so much worse . . .

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I worked really hard this week. Now I'm tired. A lot more tired than weeks where I said I worked really hard but actually didn't.

Planit

Cyburbian
I've driven this street many times over the years, but didn't notice this until today. I wonder how many bumper bumps have occurred over the years.

1602870686261.png

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder what came first, the driveways or the pole.
If it were our local utility company they would have dropped the pole in the middle of the driveway and kept it moving. In fact, they did that to one of my HOME projects last year. There was a markout where the pole was supposed to go adjacent to the driveway apron what had forms installed but not yet poured. The put the pole dead center in the middle of the driveway apron. Took them 6 weeks to come back and move it to where it was supposed to be.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I received a sketch plan for a development this morning that required a phone call instead of an e-mail. More than 100 townhome units, with a single point of entry on something that resembles an old stockcar oval track. The density, configuration, access management, cross access, open space, buffers, road improvements, and structure design were just the beginning of the list of items that it didn't meet.

Sad part is there was a point in time years ago that this community would have accepted something like that.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the metal roof of our building and continually makes a tapping noise that is not enjoyable.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am thinking about letting my hair go grey/natural - during COVID I stopped going to the hairdressers and still have not gone - I actually only go a few times a year anyway and it's a thing now with the 50-somethings to go grey and not be taken in by the patriarchy but all I can think about is my Mom saying "You should color your hair until you hit 80, as after that, it looks a little ridiculous" lol

Bubba

Cyburbian
This was the most typical Georgia/Atlanta sports weekend ever. Even laughing at Tech losing to Clemson by the largest margin ever in an ACC game isn’t enough to get the bad taste out of my mouth. WHY CAN’T I HAVE NICE THINGS??? :mad::cursing::yell:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Where's @AG74683 when we need him? We had a house fire in the neighborhood next to ours Friday evening. A 7,000 sqft house went up in flames just before dinner time. The house was just over a mile from us and even with all the trees between our block and theirs, the smoke was clearly visible. The house was a total loss but thankfully nobody was hurt. Somebody posted video of the fire on NextDoor, it was a pretty scary sight.

1603114067659.png

I ran past the site of the fire yesterday morning and I was surprised at how strong the smell still was, even after quite a bit of rain on Saturday and Sunday morning.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
This was the most typical Georgia/Atlanta sports weekend ever. Even laughing at Tech losing to Clemson by the largest margin ever in an ACC game isn’t enough to get the bad taste out of my mouth. WHY CAN’T I HAVE NICE THINGS??? :mad::cursing::yell:
Hey, Ohio has been waiting for Ohio State for the last month... I mean we have the Reds, Bengals, and Browns..... which is about as much losing as I can take.

At least you have the chance to be good at things....