• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Our planning district is working on a river corridor plan that borders two localities. We've been doing a lot of public outreach to make the public aware of the plan - signs along the river, mailings to property owners, virtual webinars, etc.

I just got an email that made me laugh. The person said that they like the idea and hope it is successful, but wondered what good it was to develop a plan since one of the localities never uses them anyway and then cited a few examples. They helpfully copied the planning commission and board on their email as well.

I will not be responding to that email, but doesn't that just sum up the quintessential experience of planning in general?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got mascara in my eye as I pulled into my parking space and my eyes just started flooding with tears as the city manager pulled into her parkign space across from me - ugh - so embarrassing

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Dear mendelman,
Whenever I read your posts I feel very annoyed. However, It's good to know that some day you will go away. I sincerely hope that in the future you will stop being such a dweeb. As always, I enjoy giving you a hard time and I always say that if more people could be like you we'd all be doomed. In closing, I'd like to emphasize once again that you haven't got a clue.

Sincerely,

Maister

Little known fact: Maister's office uses the Mad Libs method for their boilerplate emails.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I RJ'd this morning since I knew my boss wasn't coming in til 11am. At 11:30 I will play courier for the law department and that should take an hour. Then lunch and hopefully out at 430.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
IT HAS BEEN ALL AFTERNOON!

What is everyone doing that they can't post? Huh?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
According to Strava and CityStrides, I've run 56.28% of the roads in my community. There is one big corner of the city that I have a lot of gaps in my running coverage in and I think I could easily get up above 90%, but it also looks like they use some mapping service that counts travel lanes in parking lots and the like as public "roads".

Doohickie

Cyburbian
According to Strava and CityStrides, I've run 56.28% of the roads in my community. There is one big corner of the city that I have a lot of gaps in my running coverage in and I think I could easily get up above 90%, but it also looks like they use some mapping service that counts travel lanes in parking lots and the like as public "roads".
How did you do that calculation?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
PSA from the guy who worked in the optical industry for years: ladies, mascara is not your friend when it comes to eye irritants. It's likely the number one culprit for eye doctor office visits re: eye irritants.
  • you may be allergic. It's wise to do a self test on a forearm to see if your skin reacts. If there's even a trace of redness, don't use that brand
  • don't use water-proof varieties. Sure, no smudging sounds good in principle until you have to practically use a freakin' brillo pad to remove it. All the rubbing around your eyes acts as an irritant.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
@Doohickie

I believe I've seen you post here that you use Strava? If so, you can go to CityStrides.com and link your Strava account. CityStrides will then pull in your Strava data (it can take a while to sync the data). Once it's finished doing that, you can search for a particular city and see what share of the streets in that city you've run, biked, walked, etc.

Planit

Cyburbian
I asked a complaint if she would take a picture or two of her complaint over the weekend since most of the illegal activity happens over the weekend...I received 17 pictures she took this morning.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No trick-or-treating for us this year. I feel sorry for Itty Bitty. This has been a rough year for traditions.

The kids right here always look forward to seeing each other out there for trick-or-treating and we've discussed it with our immediate neighbors who also have little kids. I think the general consensus this year is that we're all just going to do each other's houses so we'll do about 4 houses. I'm wrapping up Halloween bags for all the neighbor kids with a bunch of full size candy bars, some suckers, pencils, stickers, bookmarks, etc. and then that's it. We're not going to other houses besides those right here. I feel sort of bad, especially for a couple of elderly neighbors who always tell us how much they look forward to seeing our girls in their costumes but.

Our oldest daughter was upset about how this Halloween "is gonna suck" with no parties and no real trick-or-treating, and she's right. But we did get rescued a little bit: A friend of hers who always has a big party on the last day of school before Halloween is doing a "walk through" Halloween party for her friends and their families in their backyard. The mom is very organized and even gave each family a block of time to come walk through their display, take pictures, collect some candy, and be on their way. So knowing that she'll see at least a friend or two, even if it's just for a few minutes, managed to lift our daughter's spirits a bit.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
No trick-or-treating for us this year. I feel sorry for Itty Bitty. This has been a rough year for traditions.
You know what....you're a highly creative person, make a couple of brand new traditions up cut from whole cloth. I'm sure you can think of something. In fact, I know so.:einstein:

e.g. How about a 'traditional' Easter bunny egg hunt Great Pumpkin candy hunt?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We're just buying and eating our own individual favorite candy, watching movies, staying inside and chillin'.

Granted, my boys are 11, 12 & 13 this year, so they're pretty cool with the plan.

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
I asked a complaint if she would take a picture or two of her complaint over the weekend since most of the illegal activity happens over the weekend...I received 17 pictures she took this morning.
Welcome to my world. If I ask for photos, I limit the number and ask for the best photos a person can get without being harmed.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
@Doohickie

I believe I've seen you post here that you use Strava? If so, you can go to CityStrides.com and link your Strava account. CityStrides will then pull in your Strava data (it can take a while to sync the data). Once it's finished doing that, you can search for a particular city and see what share of the streets in that city you've run, biked, walked, etc.
In high school I think I literally rode 100% of the streets in Cheektowaga, NY. I had a map of the town and marked off the street after I rode them. I might have missed a few, but not many.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I collect these.

Hehe! It reminds me of the NYS silhouettes that leave out :italy: YO STRONG ISLAND :italy:. Which has me thinking, do people in the Upper Peninsula think of themselves as really separate from Michigan, or even more Michigan-y? I always thought it was unusual that Long Islanders think of themselves as being in the fourth state of the tri-state area, in a way. A few examples:

logo.png

logo.jpg

LI NY address.png

Using the same logic, someone in the UP might write their address like:

Toivo Korhonen
453 Manganese Circle
Marquette, UP MI 49855

Anyhow, I'll just leave this here.

upstate new york.jpg

For what it's worth, a Buffalonian reps the UP.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You can tell a lot about the demographics of your church by who pays for advertisements in the annual directory. Ours has no less than 2 audiologists and 3 funeral homes advertising in it, including a funeral home paying for the entire outside back cover.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Back from a long weekend vacation!

We stayed at a B&B which had cottages (so we had our own 2-room unit with parking), and the breakfast was switched to a tray in your cottage. Yum! Everything was delicious! And the evening turndown service included red wine and a dessert.

We ziplined, walked, hiked, and wine tasted our way through 3 full days. Tip: don't do a hiking uphill zipline course, eat lunch, then expect to easily climb straight up 280 steps for a scenic view. Trust me. Your legs and stomach will not like you.

Drove home in wet weather and through a front that dropped temps 30 degrees. And now I know for sure I'm not on vacation anymore - it's raining and 40 degrees outside. Yuck.

DVD

Cyburbian
If rats are the rats of the earth and pigeons are the rats of the sky, what are the rats of the sea? Also, what does that make seagulls?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
If rats are the rats of the earth and pigeons are the rats of the sky, what are the rats of the sea? Also, what does that make seagulls?

ouch, my brain hurts from that...

but actually, the rats of the sea are bottom dwellers, so lobsters, I guess