• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If rats are the rats of the earth and pigeons are the rats of the sky, what are the rats of the sea?
Maybe some species of fish that washes up on shore during mass die-offs and creates rotting stench on beaches?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
If rats are the rats of the earth and pigeons are the rats of the sky, what are the rats of the sea? Also, what does that make seagulls?
I'd image seagulls are probably another species rats of the sky.

As for rats of the sea, I'd go with lion fish, which are a true menace or flying Asian carp.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So by random chance I looked at my old neighborhood on Realtor.com (Cheektowaga, NY, where I grew up) and saw the house across the street from my parents' house was on the market. I used to play with the kid that grew up there. He was a little developmentally challenged but pretty much a good kid, and we all used to play together. He was okay, just a little slow. When he was grown, and my mom had a slip and fall in the driveway (and broke her leg), Bobby was the first person to find her and call 911.

So with the house up for sale I looked Bobby up on Facebook. I found him. I saw that his mom passed away in May, which is why the house was up for sale (his dad passed quite a while ago). I sent him a friend request and he was really happy to hear from me. He's had a tough year. His mom died in May, his dog died the next day, and his older sister died a month later. He's had a rough go of it.

On the plus side, he's living in an assisted living place, has a life coach and an art teacher. The art thing is significant. Besides a menial labor job he has through a charity agency, he makes money as an artist, and has written 3 children's books that will be hitting the market soon. He actually started a charitable foundation where proceeds of his art sales go to help other people with developmental disabilities.

It was really kind of neat reconnecting with someone I knew when I was a kid and haven't heard from in a long time (like almost 40 years). And I have to admit that I'm amazed and proud of the progress he's made in the world.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
So by random chance I looked at my old neighborhood on Realtor.com (Cheektowaga, NY, where I grew up) and saw the house across the street from my parents' house was on the market. I used to play with the kid that grew up there. He was a little developmentally challenged but pretty much a good kid, and we all used to play together. He was okay, just a little slow. When he was grown, and my mom had a slip and fall in the driveway (and broke her leg), Bobby was the first person to find her and call 911.

So with the house up for sale I looked Bobby up on Facebook. I found him. I saw that his mom passed away in May, which is why the house was up for sale (his dad passed quite a while ago). I sent him a friend request and he was really happy to hear from me. He's had a tough year. His mom died in May, his dog died the next day, and his older sister died a month later. He's had a rough go of it.

On the plus side, he's living in an assisted living place, has a life coach and an art teacher. The art thing is significant. Besides a menial labor job he has through a charity agency, he makes money as an artist, and has written 3 children's books that will be hitting the market soon. He actually started a charitable foundation where proceeds of his art sales go to help other people with developmental disabilities.

It was really kind of neat reconnecting with someone I knew when I was a kid and haven't heard from in a long time (like almost 40 years). And I have to admit that I'm amazed and proud of the progress he's made in the world.

this is such a great story - thank you!

Planit

Cyburbian
Submitted a federal grant application just before 5:00 pm yesterday. I had to wait on the state to provide a letter we requested 2 weeks ago & I received it @ 4:45. It was frustrating to say the least.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I was issued a new computer at work so I am now running windows 10. I am not a fan. If I were a caveman, I would have been a late adopter of fire and the wheel. As I age, my tolerance to change is diminishing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We have a lot of friends here from the Detroit area who take assignments in Germany, France, Italy and South Korea for a year or three (thanks to the automotive industry). They all seem to love it and always find ways to get back here for a few weeks every year. I'm always a little jealous when I hear about so and so moving to Munich or Stuttgart or Milan with their kids for a couple of years. What a great opportunity!

We also have met a ton of families who come from those countries (as well as Spain and China and Japan and the Netherlands) and move to our area for a few years. For the most part they seem to really enjoy it and they seem to take every opportunity to travel around the country and see national parks or big touristy things. We have enough of those foreign workers coming over here for a few years that there is one automotive supplier that actually owns a couple of houses in our neighborhood so that their workers and their families have a place waiting for them when they move to the area.

DVD

Cyburbian
So what part of Germany? We must all google scout out your new digs.

Don't laugh, but I grew up with a TRS80 and a tape deck to load programs.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I love me some Jack White. However, I will see your Jack White and raise you a Tom Morello.

That's cool. I actually dug out my CD of RATM's 1992 self titled album. Been happily listening to it in car for the last week. :)

But...I may be ready to wreak some political havoc, if I don't watch myself. ;)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
So what part of Germany? We must all google scout out your new digs.
@WSU MUP Student , Porsche and Mercedes will be just down the Autobahn. 😁 The plannerd in me is excited about the mass transit and bicycle opportunities.

The offer is for a 2 yr gig in Stuttgart. @Salmissra , we have extended family in Switzerland so I might get to actually meet them.

You are all welcome to come visit and ride the U-bahn and S-bahn with us!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Danke! The school we are considering for Itty Bitty has a dual language program. I am most excited about that.

I need to brush off my duolingo app. 😳
Unsolicited parental advice:
Remember how you sell this is key. Kids take their emotional cues from grownups. If you present this as "We have some WONDERFUL NEWS, Itty Bitty, We're all going to get to go on the adventure of a lifetime! Yay!!" chances are good that's exactly the spirit she'll take it.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I have a new thorn in my side: geotechnical engineers. Long story short. My contractor and my geotech didn't communicate. They did an over ex. Soils compaction failed. Ripped out everything, we-compacted. Yea.. good times let me tell you.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Unsolicited parental advice:
Remember how you sell this is key. Kids take their emotional cues from grownups. If you present this as "We have some WONDERFUL NEWS, Itty Bitty, We're all going to get to go on the adventure of a lifetime! Yay!!" chances are good that's exactly the spirit she'll take it.
Thanks! Good advice is always welcome. We've been laying the groundwork for awhile. She and I call ourselves, "The Adventure Girls!" and we like to go on adventures. We've talked about moving before so these ideas are not foreign concepts.

The most difficult part will be separating her from my parents. They are extremely close. But we have been talking about getting a place big enough for my parents to stay for extended periods (much to Hubby's delight 🤔). And she and I coming back to the states for extended visits too. And at the moment this is just for 2 years. Gulp.