• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

DVD

Cyburbian
I love reading articles on the other planning site about trends. Especially when it deals with my state/city metro. I like how they just dump on us over sprawl and not being urban. You do understand that we're a collection of something like 17 cities, not just 1 and they all want development. No? I guess that's because it's easier to write up something that declares the subject good or bad without thinking of the details like that. Or details like this is how people in this town want to live. We're just now starting to urbanize a little more and develop housing for those people. The market is slowly shifting, but we're not New York so stop trying to look at us through that lens and maybe realize we're gonna do what we want and what we want to do is build. Granted we could slow down on the single family subdivisions.

Reactions: Dan

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Received the Census PSAP Verification email - GO ME ! except one block boundary they accepted my corrections & new Census Tract & Block Group boundaries.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Who could replace Trebek hosting Jeopardy?

Jennings, Rutter or...stay with me...Buzzy Cohen.

Discuss.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am going with Allison Janney.

Or maybe Megan Kelly.

Or what about Kristin Bell?

I feel like it is going to be a woman.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I just received my 23 and Me DNA results. Turns out I am 0.1% Congolese. I have so much to learn about . . . . .

But I'm mostly French/German and British/Irish.

Reactions: kms

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The market value of silver is $18/troy oz at this moment.

kms

Cyburbian
IMO, there is only one person who could host this show and do it justice. Mayim Bialik. She literally has a Ph. D. in neuroscience. She's intelligent, funny, very well spoken, and, coincidentally, she is also currently "unemployed" with the Big Bang Theory ending. She's the perfect fit.
I was going to suggest Ashley Judd, who seems to have gotten the brains in her family, but yours is better.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Not including Detroit, I presume?

Or are the old fogeys that ran away from the City of Detroit all out of commission and/or dead now?
Happily including them. There was a key death in the summer and It's amazing how much things can change in just a few months. Hopefully that change continues because I'm pretty sure it's very welcome by most of the staff in my office.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Happily including them. There was a key death in the summer and It's amazing how much things can change in just a few months. Hopefully that change continues because I'm pretty sure it's very welcome by most of the staff in my office.
The actuarial tables get us all eventually...is what a good accountant would say.

Right? ;)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Well I can tell you that based on DNA it identified some 2nd and 3rd cousins that I knew of but have never met.
I've been tempted to take it in the past. I've been concerned about the privacy of the information. Plus, I'm relatively close to the ones who immigrated. So unless one of Nordic ancestors picked someone up during the raids, it's going to pop Northern and Central European. There will probably be a strong emphasis on the Northern.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
And it is time...

I knew this day was going to arrive eventually, after all it was unavoidable given everything going on. I just didn't think it would be so soon and I am at a bit of a loss for words and will be in need of guidance... No, I didn't get fired or am getting a divorce or anything like that... but my shoes have finally gotten to to the point of no return and need to be replaced after 4 years. I have zero fashion sense, so I turn to you all for assistance. I need a pair of black leather dress shoes. Lace-up, slip on, cap toe, mock-toe, oxford, wingtip? What styles and brands would you suggest I try on? When I was in college I sold shoes but that was 20 years ago. What guidance can you provide?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
And it is time...

I knew this day was going to arrive eventually, after all it was unavoidable given everything going on. I just didn't think it would be so soon and I am at a bit of a loss for words and will be in need of guidance... No, I didn't get fired or am getting a divorce or anything like that... but my shoes have finally gotten to to the point of no return and need to be replaced after 4 years. I have zero fashion sense, so I turn to you all for assistance. I need a pair of black leather dress shoes. Lace-up, slip on, cap toe, mock-toe, oxford, wingtip? What styles and brands would you suggest I try on? When I was in college I sold shoes but that was 20 years ago. What guidance can you provide?
You can never go wrong with a traditional simple black leather design.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
For $349 I think I'll go wrong! Jeezus.
Those shoes have plastic soles. A good dress show should have leather soles.
Obviously, I as simply using that as an example of overall design.

The individual component parts are the next layer of one's decision.

I generally go to DSW for nice quality dress shoes at decent prices (around ~$100).

Reactions: kms

Planit

Cyburbian
A little tidbit I read today:

Today is the 100th anniversary of the Volstead Act, which prohibited making and selling alcoholic beverages.

• Angry
Reactions: DVD

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I believe I wore those shoes as part of my uniform. They were much less than $349.

DSW is good. Just pick up any basic black or brown shoe and avoid all the brogue.
I always lean more classic than modern and put a very heavy emphasis on comfort. I have a pair of boots for when I do field work, so this next pair of shoes does not need to do that level of double duty, but I want to make sure that it is something that will last.

The other option is to break out the roll of back gorilla tape and put some squares on the bottom to cover the holes.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
IMO, there is only one person who could host this show and do it justice. Mayim Bialik. She literally has a Ph. D. in neuroscience. She's intelligent, funny, very well spoken, and, coincidentally, she is also currently "unemployed" with the Big Bang Theory ending. She's the perfect fit.
I don't know what her career goals are, but would agree she'd make a potentially great host.

Oh, who am I kidding, I think I should be the next host of Jeopardy!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A little tidbit I read today:

Today is the 100th anniversary of the Volstead Act, which prohibited making and selling alcoholic beverages.
Yes, and in 1219 a massive storm in the North Sea flooded the Netherlands and killed thousands. Guess January 16th is a day where lots of tragedy has occurred.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I don't know what her career goals are, but would agree she'd make a potentially great host.

Oh, who am I kidding, I think I should be the next host of Jeopardy!
It'd be a pretty cushy job I think. The filming schedule isn't particularly demanding, They film only two days a week (usually Tuesday and Wednesday) and they typically film 5 games a session (usually). They only film every other week too, so really it's like 46 days a year. It'd be a stable job, no travel, with a huge fan base. Basically the perfect job.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It'd be a pretty cushy job I think. The filming schedule isn't particularly demanding, They film only two days a week (usually Tuesday and Wednesday) and they typically film 5 games a session (usually). They only film every other week too, so really it's like 46 days a year. It'd be a stable job, no travel, with a huge fan base. Basically the perfect job.
Great, what's the dental plan, and when can I start?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
And it is time...

Shoes! Now you're talking my language!

I generally would recommend against black for day-to-day wear and would lean towards some shade of dark brown, oxblood, or burgundy. They tend to be so much more versatile. I'm somewhat of a shoe horse and probably have 60+ pair of high quality boots and shoes and I have exactly 2 pair of black dress shoes and they are probably the least worn shoes in my closet.

If I were to recommend something, I'd suggest a dark brown captoe lace-up with leather soles as the most useful, especially if you routinely wear suits (dark brown matches very nicely with navy and grey suits). My preferred brand is Alden but they've gotten pretty pricey over the past few years (however, I'm wearing a pair today that are 10+ years old and look brand new and have a couple pair that I bought when I lived in Japan in 1998 that still look great). Rancourt makes a good alternative. They are about half the price as the Alden, I think their quality control is just as good (or even better), and everything they make is full-grain leather, made in the USA, and can be resoled and refurbished. They manufacture shoes for companies like Timberland, Brooks Brothers, J. Press, Quoddy but also do a lot of direct-to-consumer sales and their customer service is among the best I've experienced. Rancourt Bartlett Oxford

If money is no object and you want something slightly more casual, I'd recommend the Alden 4-eyelet Ranger Moc in color #8 shell cordovan. Alden's leather sole is by far the most comfortable leather sole I've ever worn, the moccasin style shoe works just as well with tailored wool trousers as it does with a pair of jeans, and with a horsehair brush and some shoetrees the shell cordovan will easily last you 20 years as long as you replace the soles as needed. Shell cordovan is made from the hide of a horse's hindquarters and it does not crease or crack with age so no water or other contaminants work their way into the leather which is why they can last forever. The other nice thing about the shell cordovan is that thanks to the natural oils in it, it shines up very nicely with minimal effort each morning.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Two days a week? We were a standby couple on the Newlywed Game (original with Bob Eubanks) back in the 80s and they cranked out a whole week of shows in a single day. We were actually about 5 minutes from getting on a show when the "real" couple showed up. That would have been odd because it was an all-maternity day and we weren't expecting .

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
blahblahblah full grain leather blahblah soles blahblahblah cordovan blahblah horse's hindquarters...

Wait, did you say horse's hindquarters? What's the deal with them?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
As for shoes: I think that until I bought my current pair which are orthopedic to help alleviate the pain from a bone spur, I never paid more than $50.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I think that's why Drew Carey and Steve Harvey picked up the game show gigs. Their popularity as comediennes was waining. It's a steady gig and evidently, you don't have to work that many days.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've always wondered about the accuracy of those test.
Ancestry has the most robust collection of genetic population samples. For me it's been mostly accurate based on what I already knew as well as some surprises. I did 23 & Me as well which mostly matched up to Ancestry. Overall I found Ancestry to be the most useful for my purpose which was identifying my biological father which I was ultimately able to do.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
^^ My sister and I both did Ancestry. While our results were close to identical, there were a few differences. Who knew we had Finnish ancestors? I show 2% Finn, she shows 4%. And while I seem to have more Irish than her, both numbers are less than 5%.

Overall it was interesting to see what they show as the migration pattern of my ancestors. And guess what? It matches the family records. So it must be right, right?

Planit

Cyburbian
It's the bigger end that does not eat carrots. I repeat, do not try to feed carrots to that end of the horse.

You had to learn that in Kansas. So maybe that's one good thing you brought back with you.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm going to amend my Alex Trebek replacement list.

• Brian Cranston
  • Soledad O'Brien
  • Comedy option: Charlie Sheen

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I just don't think the next host will be a hugely funny person. The show isn't really about them. Not that they won't have a sense of humor but that's not the focus. I want it to be someone who just seems to be a well-informed and well-read person.