• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Yeah, got to love the Viking genes. My legs are so pale white, they don't tan, they don't burn, nothing. My arms, my head, my neck, you could use a stop watch so see how fast I burn. Then, it's burn, peel, burn, peel, freckle. My tan is more like the freckles just kinda grow together.
I'm Scandihoovian and can get sun burned indoors. I wear a ball cap outdoors, pretty much always.

:thinking:What's the difference between Scandihoovian and Scandiwegian? (Not a rhetorical question.)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:thinking:What's the difference between Scandihoovian and Scandiwegian? (Not a rhetorical question.)

Definition of Scandihoovian

1 usually disparaging : a Scandinavian individual especially living in the U.S.

Thanks so much, JNA.

So Scandiwegian has a neutral connotation, whereas Scandihoovian can be somewhat pejorative...

But I can't imagine Gedunker referring to his heritage in a solely negative way. Surely his use of Scandihoovian has a jocular element?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
What’s your favorite Thanksgiving side dish ?
do we need a poll ?

My favorite is stuffing. I realized a few years ago that I don’t like turkey at all, but love the side dishes.

My favorite is stuffing or dressing as well but bad stuffing is awful. It seems like it's a dish that can go south pretty quickly if not done right. A close second is candied yams/sweet potatoes.

I don't care for turkey either and would much rather do a ham as the main dish but I was overruled by my wife. The one good thing about Thanksgiving with my extended family is that there are usually enough people there that we need a turkey and a ham so that there's enough for everybody. I'll usually take a little bit of turkey, just because, but I go for ham for most of my meal.

My wife was adamant that we needed to do a full turkey for us for our Thanksgiving this year for 2 adults and 2 kids (who will barely touch anything anyway). Thankfully I talked her out of that when I went to the grocery store and the smallest turkeys they had available were 22 pounds and wouldn't even fit in our freezer currently.

btrage

Cyburbian
My favorite is stuffing. I realized a few years ago that I don’t like turkey at all, but love the side dishes.
I make a very good slow cooker stuffing, or dressing, whatever you want to call it.

I know some people that do a "sides only" Thanksgiving. I'd be down for that.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
What’s your favorite Thanksgiving side dish ?
do we need a poll ?

I like turkey when it's seasoned. I don't care for plain turkey.

Side dishes vary at my table. I don't care for stuffing, but Hubby does, and my dad likes it too. This year I ordered some, as well as cranberry jelly (none of that canned crap) and gravy (haven't gotten the hang of making it). I like green beans, but not all green bean casseroles are created the same. The beans with some almond slivers are fine. Corn for the others, but not a huge fan. Must have potatoes in some form - family preference is mashed, but will also smile for scalloped or roasted. Bread or rolls, and either another veggie or another starch, depending on who will be at the table.

If I had my way:
seasoned turkey with cranberry sauce, green beans, mashed potatoes with gravy, cooked carrots, rolls, and a fruit pie (cherry!) for dessert.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
For anyone making turkey breast, I made one in the crockpot over the weekend and it turned out really well. I don't usually care for turkey much (it's usually just too dry for me), but this turned out really well and was even nice and juicy the second day after sitting in the fridge overnight (I did make sure to spoon some of the liquid from the crockpot over it before putting it in the fridge - don't know if that made a difference or not, though).

kms

Cyburbian
I need more formal lounging clothes. Do they make a formal jogging suit?
A few years ago, I began wearing dresses around the house. Not dusters or house dresses, but casual pull over dresses. It's like wearing a night gown that you can wear to the store. I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner.

It doesn't work as well in the winter, though.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need more formal lounging clothes. Do they make a formal jogging suit?

That's actually a thing in clothes - loungin wfh clothes that you can go on zoom meeting wearing

I noticed in my catalogues and algorithms from places like JJill and even Boden (where I get a lot of my work clothes) have jumped on this trend - good pivot, really

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Whatever you do do NOT watch this Watermelon Meow Meow video. It will claim 58 seconds of your life that you will never get back..

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's actually a thing in clothes - loungin wfh clothes that you can go on zoom meeting wearing

I noticed in my catalogues and algorithms from places like JJill and even Boden (where I get a lot of my work clothes) have jumped on this trend - good pivot, really
I love JJill's Wearever clothing line. I buy a few pieces every year because they mix and match well, travel exceptionally well, and are comfortable. There's always a 30% coupon code floating around online. Lands' End and L.L. Bean had some nice stuff in their recent catalogs too.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The directive was issued by our Division Director to WFH as much as possible due to COVID surging. Le sigh.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Probably my favorite Turkey Day side is sweet potato casserole (with pecans and sweet potatoes, not with marshmallows and yams).

I have a Thanksgiving confession . . . due to COVID and due to all of our kids being with their other parents this Thanksgiving, my husband and I are only eating Thanksgiving Dinner with his parents, at our house. The thought of just the four of us sitting at the dinner table, and preparing everything for just the four of us, is making me sad. Whereas, if it was just me and my husband having a movie binge couch potato day, I wouldn't be sad at all - I could really use some down time, and it would be awesome to just chill. I'd rather postpone Thanksgiving Dinner until another day when we have all the kids, but celebrating it is important to my MIL, so here we are and I feel a bit guilty for feeling like I'd rather do nothing. Maybe we can Zoom with other family while we eat and that'll help. :disappointed"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm getting old. It's getting harder to tell the difference between songs by The Cure, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, and sometimes The Cult. This is the music of my generation, too.

Why is "hookers and blow" the favorite go to answer ?
Because saying "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" sounds kind of dated, with rock being dead and all. "Sex, drugs, and pop music with empowering and uplifting lyrics" just doesn't sound the same, nor does "'clear and girls with them painted on jeans."

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
As I sit here this morning watching the EPL, I badly miss playing soccer. I have thought about old man soccer many times, but at age 54 its a tough sport. I already lost one ACL, have permanent floaters in my right eye, have scars from being cleated. At this point bike riding and treadmills are where I am going to stay :(

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Riding bikes isn't a bad hobby.

I've discovered something recently: We moved two and a half years ago, and now I'm 3-4 miles closer in to the city. The city is where I do most of my riding. But.... when we moved much of my time has been spent doing new old house things so I haven't been riding much. That changed in July when I decided to lose some weight; I'm now riding much more. And here's what I discovered: with getting my legs back and the decrease in weight, and being just a little closer to the city, the whole city is in my grasp. I can routinely go all the way out to the far edge of the city and now I'm looking into exploring neighboring cities by bike.

No it's not as adrenaline-pumping as competitive sport, but there is a sense of ever-expanding accomplishment when I explore a new area.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I like getting out of bed, getting a coffee, and starting in on email all before 7am when I am WFH.

My efficiency is much greater when I am at home overall. I certainly have more (different) distractions, but when I am working, I get a ton more accomplished in less time.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
With the time change, I take a different route to work on sunny mornings to avoid the-sunlight-through-the-trees strobe light effect. It is freaking blinding.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
As I sit here this morning watching the EPL, I badly miss playing soccer. I have thought about old man soccer man times, but at age 54 its a tough sport. I already lost one ACL, have permanent floaters in my right eye, have scars from being cleated. At this point bike riding and treadmills are where I am going to stay :(
I so miss playing soccer. It was such a big part of my life. After 2 ACL surgeries I had to retire. 😭

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Riding bikes isn't a bad hobby.

I've discovered something recently: We moved two and a half years ago, and now I'm 3-4 miles closer in to the city. The city is where I do most of my riding. But.... when we moved much of my time has been spent doing new old house things so I haven't been riding much. That changed in July when I decided to lose some weight; I'm now riding much more. And here's what I discovered: with getting my legs back and the decrease in weight, and being just a little closer to the city, the whole city is in my grasp. I can routinely go all the way out to the far edge of the city and now I'm looking into exploring neighboring cities by bike.

No it's not as adrenaline-pumping as competitive sport, but there is a sense of ever-expanding accomplishment when I explore a new area.

I have done open water swims now several times. 4 1.2 milers and 1 2.4 mile so far. Of course I got to do none in 2020. I did an Aqua Bike in the Twin Cities a few years ago. 1.2 mile swim with 56 mile bike. I felt good about completing that one. I really miss swimming.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just picked a popcorn kernel out of my gum stuck between the rearmost molar. I haven't had popcorn since last week Tuesday.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
All my pants are now 2" - 4" too big in the waist. I keep losing weight but who knows how permanent this is so I haven't been in a rush to buy many new pair (though I've got a pair that's supposed to arrive today). In order to keep my pants from falling off of my waist these days, I've begun wearing bulky sweaters and then tucking them into my pants. My wife is not a fan. :ha:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
All my pants are now 2" - 4" too big in the waist. I keep losing weight but who knows how permanent this is so I haven't been in a rush to buy many new pair

When I put on the weight when we moved into the house a couple years ago, bought fatter pants but I hung onto the 34s and 36s

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
All my pants are now 2" - 4" too big in the waist. I keep losing weight but who knows how permanent this is so I haven't been in a rush to buy many new pair (though I've got a pair that's supposed to arrive today). In order to keep my pants from falling off of my waist these days, I've begun wearing bulky sweaters and then tucking them into my pants. My wife is not a fan. :ha:
WSU around the house right now:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I find it amazing how terrible people's business cards are these days. I mean government has an excuse (sort of) of history and bureaucracy, etc. Private firms though should have clear, easy to understand, and cool looking cards.

I know we are in a world where email and digital files are the norm, but a business card is still important to me. I will push until all business cards don't suck. Also, no one needs a fax number on your business card.... no one.