• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

AG74683

Cyburbian
Our youngest will drink anything if it's in smoothie form. I'm going to start putting some spinach in there.
The know it all girl here occasionally brings smoothies in for lunch that have stuff like that in it. They are actually pretty good, at least the ones I've tried. You can fit all sorts of veggies in there and still make it taste great.

DVD

Cyburbian
My youngest joins us for cocktail hour. She mixes a bunch of juices and usually a can of some flavored seltzer.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
This is a travesty. I assume you rectified this quickly?
Oh yes and it will be every third song on the playlist to be played on the way there. I am not even a big fan of the song but it's so appropriate for the occasion.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have cable and I am trying to figure out if the NHL playoffs will be on my NHL channel subscription or if I will need to figure out something else. Do any of you Puck Heads now?
NBC and NBCSN schedule

NHL

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Below is a clip from a news source for a city in the county northeast of me that got sent to me....

The Council also voted unanimously to change the name of the City Collections division to the City Customer Service Division with the goal of providing an exceptional customer service experience, not just being seen as a punitive agency to those it encounters. In addition, Joe Money Bags*, the city’s finance director, also asked that the council consider permanently abolishing face-to-face transactions for payment of utilities or other fees, making the drive-thru and internet options being the only options for the city.
At first, I thought the elimination of face to face transactions was pandemic related and then I saw the word "permanently". I think they should not have had both request on the same agenda as they seem contradictory to one another.

* name changed because I felt that I needed to omitted the real name.

DVD

Cyburbian
Hey, the less I have to see some bureaucrat the better. Especially if they want my money. Right?

DVD

Cyburbian
I Fing hate realtors. They're trying to sell a hillside lot which means I can't just quote basic setback info. I need engineered plans to do anything. I gave the basics to include the idea that no, you can't expand the property (we're touchy about grading areas). So of course she wants to know how much area has been graded. I told her my estimate is close to the allowed amount. I can't be exact without pulling a file from archive that would take weeks to show up. Of course she wants the file so she can do what every realtor does. Either forget about the whole thing because the house already sold or look at them baffled because they are engineered grading plans. Yes, I will waste government time so you can be told by a set of plans that you can't build just like the plans said. :mad:

I got annoyed so I passed her to the Records Department. She can have fun looking at the plans.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I Fing hate realtors.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, become realtors. I swear, I've never met even a single one who has a shred of common sense. They ask the same question over and over and never seem to grasp what you're telling them. I had one email me today about a property in the town limits of one of our towns here. He said he searched "everywhere for the zoning codes on it" when he literally could have Googled "Town of XYZ, NC Zoning". It's literally the FIRST freaking choice.

DVD

Cyburbian
Crap, now I've got a guy who wants to plant an invasive species of tree (Brazilian Pepper) on the boarded of our desert preserve. He's demanding the code that says he can't. No code, but common decency says don't plant invasive trees. We already have most cities around here banning olive trees. Don't be that guy.

DVD

Cyburbian
Those who can, do. Those who can't, become realtors. I swear, I've never met even a single one who has a shred of common sense. They ask the same question over and over and never seem to grasp what you're telling them. I had one email me today about a property in the town limits of one of our towns here. He said he searched "everywhere for the zoning codes on it" when he literally could have Googled "Town of XYZ, NC Zoning". It's literally the FIRST freaking choice.
My problem, what are you going to do with zoning information. It's a damn house. Let's face it, no one is doing super remodels on the house to add tons of square feet and most accessory building codes cross all the zones. You know one you know them all. Just keep it a couple feet of the side. For the one client that wants more then have them talk to us.

Old Planner

Crap, now I've got a guy who wants to plant an invasive species of tree (Brazilian Pepper) on the boarded of our desert preserve. He's demanding the code that says he can't. No code, but common decency says don't plant invasive trees. We already have most cities around here banning olive trees. Don't be that guy.
Brazilian peppers are a bane of Florida. Ugly, ugly trees that spread everywhere. Does your state have some regulation about invasive species?

This is part of what University of Florida says about them, " The family Anacardiaceae contains poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and Schinus terebinthifolius, or Brazilian peppertree. People sensitive to poison ivy, oak or sumac may also be allergic to Brazilian pepper tree because it also has the potential to cause dermatitis to those with sensitive skin. Some people have also expressed respiratory problems associated with the bloom period of pepper tree." For the rest, it is here: https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/plant-directory/schinus-terebinthifolia/

DVD

Cyburbian
We have banned mulberry and olive because of allergy issues. Brazilians haven't been banned yet. We just fight to keep anything not native out of the desert preserve and this guy is being a jerk, but it's private property and he doesn't care that he paid premiums to be near one of our desert preserves. He doesn't seem to care that the damn thing spreads and can't be killed.

Thanks for the info, I forwarded that to our landscape person to see what they can do.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Of course she wants the file so she can do what every realtor does. Either forget about the whole thing because the house already sold or look at them baffled because they are engineered grading plans. \ :mad:
Do you get a lot of "Herp, derp, is this subdividable?"

My answer is "No." Because if you're asking b/c your client can't afford it w/o subdividing, then your client can't afford it, and if you're asking because you can't even make an educated guess then you lack the basic common sense to advise anybody else, especially your client.

Other than the paperwork (which is really managed by banks and their lawyers, the realtor in that system is basically the "I have people skills" guy from Office Space), I don't see what realtors do other than hold a near monopoly on marketing and access to the marketing of homes for sale. They and car salesmen can go the way of buggy whip manufacturers as far as I am concerned.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Never heard of it. Who's TLC?
I want to tell you, I really do... but I think that by not knowing, it may make you a scrub. And I don't want no scrubs.... ;)

They were a pretty successful band in the 90's with a lot of women empowerment songs that were a bit before their time.

Also, Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes burnt down Andre Risen's house when they were in a fight... so that is pretty badass. Sadly she passes away in Honduras in the early 2000's. Personally, I was always a Chili fan...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've got the window open while I work and somebody outside a block or two over is either using some sort of very high-pitched saw or getting a cavity filled with the world's loudest dentist drill.

Charlotte's new MLS expansion team will be called "Charlotte FC"
BOOOOO

It should have gone to Raleigh...
Well, then that name would just be stupid.

Question posed EXCLUSIVELY to residents of the state of New York: what in your mind is officially encompassed in phrase "upstate New York?" I mean where do you draw the boundary lines exactly?
I think a true New Yorker will say the Harlem River.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My problem, what are you going to do with zoning information.
To be fair, this was a commercial property in town. It was formerly a Family Dollar, but when Dollar Tree bought them out, they closed it down because the town already has a Dollar Tree.

I just threw every single item I possibly could at this permit application. This guy has continually added to the property without permits, going well over BUA limitations, within setbacks, taking out vegetative buffers. I called for a landscape architect, a soil scientist, surveys. You name it, he's gonna have to get it.

EDIT* New update. Does this guy really think that I'm gonna buy that the new 4,000 square foot addition being added to this restaurant is for "storage space"? Too bad, storage services are a conditional use permit in that district. Now you gotta go to both boards for review.

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Charlotte's new MLS expansion team will be called "Charlotte FC"
BOOOOO

It should have gone to Raleigh...
Very clever name. I'm impressed. :r:
I feel obligated to comment on this since the other NC cyburbians have put in their 2¢. I wonder if they considered SC in lieu of FC. I would have loved to see the chaos that Charlotte SC would have caused. All in all, it's not the most creative name but it is not likely to offend anyone.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I feel obligated to comment on this since the other NC cyburbians have put in their 2¢. I wonder if they considered SC in lieu of FC. I would have loved to see the chaos that Charlotte SC would have caused. All in all, it's not the most creative name but it is not likely to offend anyone.
That would have been hilarious in more ways than one. I liked the idea of Queen City FC, but then Cincinnati would have a fit over it. I think Carolina FC was the way to go though.

DVD

Cyburbian
Do you get a lot of "Herp, derp, is this subdividable?"

My answer is "No." Because if you're asking b/c your client can't afford it w/o subdividing, then your client can't afford it, and if you're asking because you can't even make an educated guess then you lack the basic common sense to advise anybody else, especially your client.

Other than the paperwork (which is really managed by banks and their lawyers, the realtor in that system is basically the "I have people skills" guy from Office Space), I don't see what realtors do other than hold a near monopoly on marketing and access to the marketing of homes for sale. They and car salesmen can go the way of buggy whip manufacturers as far as I am concerned.
Most of our lot split questions comes down to doing the easy lot split survey routine or replatting to get the split, but yes, I got the derp email yesterday on a super expensive lot, talking NBA player type money. You know they want to split it so they can afford it. I wish my answer could be no, because it's meant to be a large lot and your neighbors will hate you for it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So, to a NYC resident is the entire state north of Poughkeepsie called or considered 'upstate' - even western NY state or do they refer to that as 'western NY"?
To someone from Detroit or Grand Rapids, is Traverse City "Northern Michigan"?

*** The correct answer to that is no, you need to cross the bridge to be Northern Michigan.

Planit

Cyburbian
Public Works got a call from NCDOT saying they were going to tear out a ped island the city installed 3 years ago as part of a joint NCDOT/City project for a crosswalk on a major arterial. No other comment.

Public Works calls me and asks what this is about. I call 7 people with NCDOT with no one answering. Finally called the general office number and the secretary admin assistant finds someone. They find another person who looks into it.

Turns out NCDOT is removing the island so they can install conduit for a new pedestrian signal, new crosswalks & new island, but - here's the kicker - they don't know when the reinstallation will occur. Right now they are just removing the island next week.

NCDOT - c'mon guys!!!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
To someone from Detroit or Grand Rapids, is Traverse City "Northern Michigan"?

*** The correct answer to that is no, you need to cross the bridge to be Northern Michigan.
I agree that Traverse City is not Northern Michigan, but it is Up North. On a related note, many folks wouldn't count Marquette as Up North. Up North ends at the bridge; once you cross the bridge you're in Northern Michigan.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
How much do you and your spouse have in common?
Actually very little.

Areas we have in common:
views on vacations (general location type, length, etc)
having a dog/dogs
short work commutes are a must!
action movies (ie 007, Avengers, Star Trek/Wars, Bourne)
views of retirement
parental responsibilities/needs/issues
needing friends/have a hobby outside the home/time apart is necessary
we are both carbon-based life forms

AG74683

Cyburbian
Turns out NCDOT is removing the island so they can install conduit for a new pedestrian signal, new crosswalks & new island, but - here's the kicker - they don't know when the reinstallation will occur. Right now they are just removing the island next week.
NCDOT - c'mon guys!!!
Hint - it will never be reinstalled.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
A red panda is missing from her habitat at an Ohio zoo,
but she's not a threat to anyone

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yeah, I know.
That's how I would bet.
It may return one day. It will take several pedestrians being hit by a car. A death or two. And then it'll be reinstalled but in a completely haphazard way by some random third party contractor they find.

DVD

Cyburbian
How much do you and your spouse have in common?
Nothing.
Male - Female
Dog person - Cat person
Conservative (not in this climate though) - Liberal
Spontaneous - Can't do anything without a plan
My children good - her children bad (yes, we had them together, I just give her ownership in the bad times)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Public Works got a call from NCDOT saying they were going to tear out a ped island the city installed 3 years ago as part of a joint NCDOT/City project for a crosswalk on a major arterial. No other comment.

Public Works calls me and asks what this is about. I call 7 people with NCDOT with no one answering. Finally called the general office number and the secretary admin assistant finds someone. They find another person who looks into it.

NCDOT - c'mon guys!!!
How? NCDOT has no $$