• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
beyond words - the Beirut explosion

but really 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in one place ? :wow:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Ha! I looks link Hink and I have our minds in the same place. Had I saw his reply before I submitted mine I might have said something along the lines of, "If it's from Hink's wife, I would likely be getting in trouble with hink..."

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
strange anniversary tomorrow - 75 yrs since
Hiroshima

Have you read John Hersey's book ?

I want to read
FALLOUT: The Hiroshima Cover-up and the Reporter Who Revealed It to the World by Lesley Blume.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Ha! I looks link Hink and I have our minds in the same place. Had I saw his reply before I submitted mine I might have said something along the lines of, "If it's from Hink's wife, I would likely be getting in trouble with hink..."
:roflmao:

AG74683

Cyburbian
On the topic of our changing BoC here, I mentioned that they're looking for a change in management and "have the votes". That's a big IF, one of the commissioners trying to get him out has to win his election. He's been playing favorites, pushing the envelope on getting people what they want, and has taken to social media trying to drum up votes for himself. I fully suspect he's the reason why I was sort of pushed out of here (he tried time and time again to get favors from me and I refused).

The topic of police consolidation has come up again here, namely having the Sheriff's Office take over policing for the county and dissolve the town police forces. It's logical in the sense that the towns spend a significant amount of their budgets on police for little gain. That started a dialog between 2 commissioners, the CM, and the sitting Sheriff. Of course one of those commissioners was the one trying for re-election. He turned a simple conversation into a political fire storm by leaking rough draft documents from the meeting to someone he knew would get it out in the open on social media.

At first I was confused as to why my boss would include that snake in the meeting, because we all know his intentions. It finally dawned on me this morning that he was included ON PURPOSE, because of those exact intentions. The CM knew he'd leak it to social media, knew it'd cause a fire storm, and knew the press would be on his side and publish not one, but TWO stories on how scummy this commissioner was to leak the documents. He's absolutely skewered in the paper, and I bet it's gonna cost him votes and maybe the election. With him losing the election, they no longer have the votes to fire the CM, and thus he keeps his job. Brilliant.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife is not a fan of my longer hair. She's really not a fan of how I've decided to wear it slicked back!

So I'm wearing it slicked back today.

estromberg

Cyburbian
I love my job so this isn't a complaint but they don't fund cell phones for my position - my phone is a personal phone so I don't have any work schedules or emails on it - I do use it for work just to say I am going to be late or whatever but no work related email and I only gave my number out to applicants when I was wfh

so I think if your work email is on a personal phone that your employer isn't paying for then you should take that work email off your phone - there's a price in both directions to have 24/7 access...
This.

estromberg

Cyburbian
Can we talk about how big of a scam the commercial copier world is? I swear, every time you try to use it, it needs some new proprietary part. "Waste toner box is full!". Well okay, let me empty it then. NOPE, can't do that, you have to order a new one!!! "Toner cartridge has 1/2 toner left, MUST BE REPLACED!!!".
They say this, but most waste toner boxes can be emptied. I just did ours the other day in a pinch as a replacement was not going to be available for a while. The downside to emptying them is that toner is just stupid messy and they are pretty cheap.

AG74683

Cyburbian
"I have a client that wants to subdivide this lot. The existing plat map says lots may not be further subdivided, would the HOA need to authorize this". Well, I'm no rocket scientist, but when a map says "lots may not be further subdivided" I believe that generally means THEY CAN'T BE SUBDIVIDED AGAIN.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
"I have a client that wants to subdivide this lot. The existing plat map says lots may not be further subdivided, would the HOA need to authorize this". Well, I'm no rocket scientist, but when a map says "lots may not be further subdivided" I believe that generally means THEY CAN'T BE SUBDIVIDED AGAIN.
I understand that you are saying that, but what do I need to do to get them subdivided?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife is not a fan of my longer hair. She's really not a fan of how I've decided to wear it slicked back!

So I'm wearing it slicked back today.
Yeah, don't do that

See...when a mommy and daddy love each other very much....
POST OF THE DAY

Just did a site visit on our corridor for my zoning project -

You know a commercial corridor is not pedestrian friendly when there aren't crosswalks (I had to drive and park on the other side) and that people driving along gave me strange looks as I was walking in my office get-up along a 4 lane corridor (there was a sidewalk) - they likely thought, oh that poor lady has a DUI and has to walk to her office job because you know that's what you think, admit it, when you see someone walking along a highway or strip commercial corridor amiright?

Reactions: kms

DVD

Cyburbian
I thought I had a fake site plan, but it turns out the last planner forgot to write amendment on the new plan and it's new enough that it's not in our database yet. Damn, and I thought I was going to have fun today.

On the subject of greetings and closings, I just don't use them in emails. I don't need two lines of how are you doing during the pandemic. Just get to the points and move on. Unless it's someone I actually know well enough that I might care what's going on.

Come on AG, things can always be subdivided one more time.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the subject of greetings and closings, I just don't use them in emails. I don't need two lines of how are you doing during the pandemic. Just get to the points and move on. Unless it's someone I actually know well enough that I might care what's going on.

Yes I sign off with my initials and then under it is my full name with the city logo and my phone number.

Do I need to get my lawyer here to make this happen - I am subdividing for my children!!!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm always shocked when doing a word search in the Zoning Ordinance and it takes me to the Adult Uses section.

I didn't know that "Tumbling" could include "Naughty Tumbling".
Our local library has their video section dividing into "Documentaries", "Children and Family Videos", and "Adult Videos". I always feel a bit creepy going into the Adult Video section there.

Exactly. Just ask Zeno!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Do I need to get my lawyer here to make this happen - I am subdividing for my children!!!
"If I can't subdivide my children will be homeless"

And year here, in this office, in the form of our entire staff, living proof that people whose parents did not subdivide lots for them are still able to find and pay for places to live.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
"If I can't subdivide my children will be homeless"

And year here, in this office, in the form of our entire staff, living proof that people whose parents did not subdivide lots for them are still able to find and pay for places to live.
I bought this land to leave for my kids! Why do I have to build a road - we can share a driveway!

dw914er

Cyburbian
The go-to signature of my millennial co-workers.

I believe it is a millennial benediction: "May your best life be with you." "And also with you." I am too Gen-X to believe in such a thing as a "best life."

They also start emails with "Hey NAME," :r:
Millennial here. I also find 'best' as an annoying signature line, and despite that, still use it often.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The dirty little secret they don't teach you in planning school: ain't nothing permanent in zoning, baby.

Now, record this deed split or I'm going to the newspaper ...

Edit to add:
I never write "dear" unless you are in fact dear to me. Which means never for work.
I close with my employer's name and under it mine. Otherwise, no "best" or "sincerely" or any other nonsense. It's business, dammit.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Millennial here. I also find 'best' as an annoying signature line, and despite that, still use it often.
Yeah, I admit I've probably used it too, tried lots of them out and don't really like any of them, can't use "thanks," unless I'm thanking the person for something but that's my go-to.

My kid's froofy private school uses "warmly" for everything. Like, "Tuition is going up 20% next year and there's an outbreak of rickets! Warmly, ...."

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I feel like I want to be the first person to post today.

My dad would have turnrd 86 today. He was 56 when he died. He's been gone half of my life.
It's usually me, so congrats.

Yea putting time into perspective, especially time with loved ones, is hard. It always makes you open your eyes just a bit wider.

Reactions: kms

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Why would you deny [fill in acts which ignore or defy all applicable ordinances] to a vet. This isn't what I fought for.
Fixed it for you.
You do have veteran's permits don't you? You know the type of permit that says you can do anything you like any time because you fought the Japs on Okinawa or Charlie in Da Nang.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Some explosives experts are saying that the explosion in Beirut is probably closer to the 1 to 1.5 kiloton range rather than the 300 tons generally being reported. This would put it as one of the largest non-nuclear explosions ever. The Tianjin explosion (also caused by ammonium nitrate) was estimated to be around 336 tons.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Some explosives experts are saying that the explosion in Beirut is probably closer to the 1 to 1.5 kiloton range rather than the 300 tons generally being reported. This would put it as one of the largest non-nuclear explosions ever. The Tianjin explosion (also caused by ammonium nitrate) was estimated to be around 336 tons.
The videos from the explosion are insane, especially the one that shows the tiny little flashes (fire crackers or sparklers?) going off in the sky before the massive explosion and the mushroom cloud.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Today's what the heck moment..

A real estate agent asked me a question via email, I answered the question via email, and the real estate agent responded via email "You are correct".

So many thoughts are going through my head...

• Should i have replied "dang right!"
  • Did I just ace an one question test, if so what do I get?
  • Why call me if you knew the answer.
  • Did he misspell "thank you"?

A real estate agent asked me a question via email, I answered the question via email, and the real estate agent responded via email "You are correct".

Why call me if you knew the answer.
You already know: spam-ish 'telemarketing'. Agent trying to get a foot in the door.

Should i have replied "dang right!"
If you did, it would be a funny story to tell. You'd get some laughs.

But the agent would see it as 'encouragement' and you'd end up with more of his spam.

Did he misspell "thank you"?
Did he spell it exactly like that? If so, he spelled it correctly.

kms

Cyburbian
Today's what the heck moment..

So many thoughts are going through my head...

• Should i have replied "dang right!"
  • Did I just ace an one question test, if so what do I get?
  • Why call me if you knew the answer.
  • Did he misspell "thank you"?
I like item 4.

He's probably conversing with you, like when you're taking with someone, tell them something and they say "oh, yeah, you're right".

I'd be careful writing it, though. Now if he does something that goes against what you told him, you can wave that email in his face and say "you knew better".

Doohickie

Cyburbian
beyond words - the Beirut explosion

but really 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in one place ? :wow:
Did you hear the whole story? Apparently the ship carrying it had mechanical problems so they brought it into port. Once there it was deemed by Lebanese authorities to be not seaworthy. Most of the crew was allowed to leave and repatriate to Moldova (a former Soviet republic) but 4 were made to stay with the ship. The ship's owner was not responsive, so the ship was essentially abandoned. They offloaded the ammonium nitrate over concerns the ship was not safe. Oh by the way, this happened more than 5 YEARS ago. It's been sitting in that warehouse ever since.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Dave Chappelle can keep having his weekly / twice weekly events. It as a big zoning issue in Yellow Springs (actually just outside), where he lives. They issued him a temporary use variance. What is that?! I cannot, for the life of me, find this as as thing in the State of Ohio. I have been doing planning for 14 years in Ohio and have never seen someone issue a variance, temporarily. That isn't what a variance is. A variance runs with the land.

"The board approved the zoning variance Thursday night, with two conditions: that the pavilion make every effort to reduce noise issues and that the property owner meet with neighbors weekly to allow them to discuss any noise issues or concerns. "

Sir, please try to do better, but we aren't going to require you to actually do anything, because... you know, it is for Dave Chappelle... ;)

AG74683

Cyburbian
Dave Chappelle can keep having his weekly / twice weekly events. It as a big zoning issue in Yellow Springs (actually just outside), where he lives. They issued him a temporary use variance. What is that?! I cannot, for the life of me, find this as as thing in the State of Ohio. I have been doing planning for 14 years in Ohio and have never seen someone issue a variance, temporarily. That isn't what a variance is. A variance runs with the land.

"The board approved the zoning variance Thursday night, with two conditions: that the pavilion make every effort to reduce noise issues and that the property owner meet with neighbors weekly to allow them to discuss any noise issues or concerns. "

Sir, please try to do better, but we aren't going to require you to actually do anything, because... you know, it is for Dave Chappelle... ;)
I'd like to know who the hell complained about Dave's weekly/twice weekly events? Honestly, I'd see that as an enormous boost to my property value. Treated to one or two FREE Dave Chappelle shows a week?! The only ask that I'd have is that Dave and I get together at least once a week for a few frosty Samuel Jackson's while he tells me stories about Charlie Murphy's stories.

In other news, I think I have mold/dampness issues in my storage building. I pulled my suitcases out this morning to prepare for this beach trip and they looked slightly moldy. I washed them off. I have a dehumidifier coming which should help some, but I need to figure out where the moisture is coming from to begin with.

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My :dog: dog :dog:had a seizure late last night. This was her first that we've seen. While the episode itself was short and not intense, she did experience longer side/after effects.

A previous dog had seizures, so I know what I'm seeing when it happens. But still - her first, so I did have a minor freak out. Hubby was naturally not in the room so missed the event (same as with previous dog - she was my shadow). Her back leg wobbliness lasted until morning, she has not eaten her usual amount of breakfast and is now sleeping. She did get hot and panted last night, but no drool.

I thought I had a handle on how the pandemic, my job, and all this forced togetherness was affecting me. But last night's seizure just put a cap on it. I need to figure something out because I am getting closer to flipping out.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Today I learned about the Nipingon River Bridge, on the Trans-Canada Highway about 50 miles (80 km) northeast of THunder Bay. The bridge is the only vehicle link between eastern and western Canada. If the bridge is closed, traffic has to detour through the United State, through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The theme song from The Greatest American Hero has been stuck in my head today. It was actually on the radio this morning.