• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

DVD

Cyburbian
I must go hunting for a desk for the child today. This should be fun.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The theme song from The Greatest American Hero has been stuck in my head today. It was actually on the radio this morning.
That is actually one of the ringtones I put on my phone. Believe it or Not but IIRC that was also the first TV theme song to hit the top of the Billboard charts.

But as great as that theme song is, I always preferred the remake:

DVD

Cyburbian
I've got no problem assembling affordable Swedish crap, but the store is on the other side of town. We're talking 32 miles or about an hour to figure out if they even have something in stock.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I had some water dripping into my truck from the overhead buttons yesterday. I opened and closed the sunroof. I really hope it is not starting to leak.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I was hoping to see Hancock County Maine go "into the green" on my state's travel map today (so I'd be allowed to travel there) but no dice.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
They say old habits die hard. One member if a different department keeps stepping into the planning whelm when they should stay in their wheelhouse. It hasn't caused too many issues with outside folks, but I have had to ask them to pass those questions onto me instead of trying to answer them.

I understand where they are coming from. At one point, their involvement was needed, but that was years ago. EVERYTHING has changed since then.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The know it all is trying to tell me that "dihydrogen monoxide" is NOT water, and that it's a "different molecular form". WTF?

DVD

Cyburbian
The know it all is trying to tell me that "dihydrogen monoxide" is NOT water, and that it's a "different molecular form". WTF?
That stuff is dangerous. Just google it! So many deaths every year.

DVD

Cyburbian
Keeping it random before the weekend

Cyburbia, brought to you in double vision. Some drinking may apply.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Sorry - too many people taking a test before they leave their home state and coming up here BEFORE THEY GET THE FLIPPIN RESULTS!

wtf, seriously

go to Baxter
LP
After reading the (below) piece, I have a much greater understanding of what you and fellow Mainers are going through.
It''s almost unbelievable that The Boston Globe would publish such a snarky op-ed piece written by one of their staff writers:
Sorry Maine, but your COVID-19 rules will not ruin my summer traditions this year
My parents needed a morale boost, and I was determined to make it happen
By Christopher Muther Globe Staff, Updated August 6, 2020, 12:00 p.m.
Quoted from the snarky writer:
"This summer Maine has decided to assume the role of the popular girl in the high school cafeteria. Maine has invited all the cool kids from the Northeast to sit at her table, except for Massachusetts and Rhode Island. She’s saved a seat for Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Connecticut. Heck even New Jersey got invited. Yes, you heard that correctly, New Jersey!"

"Last month [Maine's] Hidden Pond was named one of the top 10 resorts in the Northeast. So despite the steep price (about $1,000 a night), I bit. My parents deserved to get spoiled this year, and my vacations have been canceled, so why not? As Nancy Sinatra says, you only live twice."

"Yes Maine, we would be sitting at your cafeteria table. Perhaps you could ask New Jersey to move over to make room for us?"

:eek:

Edited in later:
As of the time of that writing, New Jersey had a Covid-19 infection positivity rate of about 1.5%, whereas Massachussets' positivity rate was about 3%. The staff writer acknowledged this, but his very next sentences were:
Seriously though, New Jersey over Massachusetts?

Here’s where it gets personal. My family has been vacationing in Maine since Leon Leonwood Bean was tottering around in plaid, flannel diapers. OK, that’s a tiny exaggeration, but my parents have been going up every year for the past 40 years, probably more.
At this point, I thought that the op-ed was a facetious satire. His "declaration of entitlement" was so outrageous that of course, he was trying to be funny!

Actually no--or not entirely--because as I quoted (above), he really did book and then go on the vacation to Maine with his folks.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We started the week with a hurricane, floods, and tornadoes, and finished it with an earthquake.

Happy 2020 Ya’ll!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Today is Monday. Which, as we all know, is the start of yet another week.

If we as a country decided to reduce our output by 14%, this would be second Sunday. Just saying.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Sorry - too many people taking a test before they leave their home state and coming up here BEFORE THEY GET THE FLIPPIN RESULTS!

wtf, seriously

go to Baxter
UGGGH. I also wonder if there isn't much follow-through on clearing cases once they come in the door- like people aren't bothering to re-test and never get marked as "recovered." The Big College Town in my region is awash in students(who are mostly taking things seriously) and parents (some of whom are not. The mask-defying trumper dad with a liberal kid at Uni and and perpetually appalled spouse is becoming a common occurrence up here, and I'm staying out of our major shopping areas because of it.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
People ask me wft Bridgton, ME and I tell them long story but its all good.
And there are many Steven King sightings in the local bookstore as he has a camp on half a lake there - he no longer resides in Bangor - a few of his books are based in Bridgton: Under The Dome, The Mist, and supposedly others, but it's hotly debated

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Today is Monday. Which, as we all know, is the start of yet another week.

If we as a country decided to reduce our output by 14%, this would be second Sunday. Just saying.
I get second Saturday every week. A while back my job went to 4 x 10 schedule. I work Mon-Thu and have Fri-Sun off.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My parents visited yesterday to bring our oldest some birthday gifts (she turned 10 on Saturday). We stayed outside and had hot dogs and ice cream cake.

They also brought our 4-year-old a tiny little remote controlled tarantula. She loves and it is the most annoying thing in the world. Hopefully the batteries die soon.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Any thoughts / concerns about vacation travel this fall ? got 3 weeks don't really want to do staycation.

Is it to early to worry about Christmas travel plans ? mom is in California.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Any thoughts / concerns about vacation travel this fall ? got 3 weeks don't really want to do staycation.

Day trips only for our family. We've got no desire to be staying in a hotel or cabin that we have no idea who was there before us or how well it has been cleaned. If we were campers I'd consider that but none us are really into that regardless of the pandemic situation, other than pitching a tent in the backyard or on the beach at the in-laws and saying that's camping!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the situation will have improved enough by late winter/early spring so we can make it Florida next year for spring break.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

My wife always says the real concern is the people, not the hotel. So if you want to go to some hotel that is likely fine (IMO), but I certainly wouldn't do it somewhere with lots of people, or with a shoddy staff. If you stay somewhere for a multiple days, I would request that no one else enter your room while you are there.

Find a rental in Michigan and disappear for a couple weeks. Finish a puzzle or go on hikes without having to see a lot of people.

Brown County is always nice to camp in. Camping is pretty crazy though right now, as I think a lot of people are doing it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just hit send on comments to the school board about opening school next month - I NEVER do this as a municipal planner, get involved, but I felt like I needed to so wtf, I did it

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian

Buy the tickets and go see your mom. You're obviously careful already so just plan to be tested close to the time you are leaving for that extra peace of mind and enjoy the holiday. I actually think planes are probably one of the safest places to be. They are making everyone wear a mask and while yes, it's a metal tube in the sky but the air filtration is better than almost anywhere else you can be.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
All this College Football news is really taking my morning relaxation period for a ride.

I hate trash collection and the contractual obligations of it.

--

Also it seems Andrew Yang is all stealing my ideas... ;)

I would advocate for 4x8 week. We need less production ;)

DVD

Cyburbian
Crap morning. My sprinklers broke at 4 am. Yes, in the desert you run sprinklers in the early morning. Shut off the water and went back to "sleep" and some idiot calls at 5. WTF Tuesday?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
That's pretty awesome. Although Wawa is also in Florida and I think their long-term plans will have more stores there than in Jersey and PA combined. Where I lived in Maryland we had both. Sheetz is my favorite though. The wannabes around here are just awful. Sheetz would make a killing with all the PA and Ohio folks who have moved down there.

DVD

Cyburbian
Thanks, it gave me some message about this service not available due to COVID...or some garbage I wasn't taking the time to read through.
Of course I could have just called them instead of losing my patience with the interweb, but that would have required effort and I'm a lazy, lazy man. She really wanted a desk we found at the local OfficeMax, but that was out of stock city wide. We found a nice folding table to make the kid happy. Not what she wanted, but that and a Starbucks bribe made her happy. She immediately started decorating it with her stuff. Her cat has found a place to sit on it.

DVD

Cyburbian
To make Tuesday worse my betta fish Nimby Jr. died today. I knew he was going, but it had to be today. Does anyone know any good words to say for his eulogy?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Re: traveling in a Covid 19 world...seems okay. The only annoyance is everything being closed at random times. Hours aren't being updated on websites or anything so it's incredibly hit or miss.