• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Planit

Cyburbian
I am pretty sure 3.5 hour zoom meetings should be banned in all 50 states...
My iPad battery would have died (& did when I had a 2.5 hour zoom meeting). Desktop computer has no camera so its the iPad and thats okay.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
omg yes

I make toast at work for breakfast a lot so I can do a 12 hour fast from the night before (we eat dinner late, yes) so I usually treat myself to decent bread so I brought in some rosemary bread from a local bakery and when I took it out of the bag it was moldy so I went to the breakroom and got some brown sugar pop tarts from the vending machine

that's all I got

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am not above randomly mysteriously disconnecting or logging off of meetings on Skype, GoToMeeting, Zoom, etc. that go longer than about 45 minutes, especially meetings with more than about 3 or 4 people.

It seems like the more people involved and the more time the meeting takes, the less that is actually getting accomplished.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am in the office today and used some of the random hand sanitizer that is on our big communal work table/cutting board area. It is the most foul smelling sanitizer I've used. I don't know what the smell is (it isn't the stink of a distillery like a lot of them have right now) but it is literally turning my stomach. This is probably one of those sanitizers that the FDA is trying to recall for causing blindness or worse. :puke:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I feel you. We had one here that smelled like the nastiest, cheapest tequila ever. It was disgusting.

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
For the past two days, I have been dealing with a lawnmower junkyard that caught fire. A couple hundred gallons of used motor oil stored in buckets and drums that either melted or got knocked over during the fire. The ten thousand squre feet of lawnmowers stacked two and three high doesn't help much. Thankfully, the state's hazardous waste folks are involved and the EPA will likely be involved before it is all over. Junkyard fire > dumpster fire.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the past two days, I have been dealing with a lawnmower junkyard that caught fire. A couple hundred gallons of used motor oil stored in buckets and drums that either melted or got knocked over during the fire. The ten thousand squre feet of lawnmowers stacked two and three high doesn't help much. Thankfully, the state's hazardous waste folks are involved and the EPA will likely be involved before it is all over. Junkyard fire > dumpster fire.
whoa, pics? too soon?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A community I once worked for had an enormous pile of tires (think thousands of tires) on one man's property near the highway. One day the tires caught fire and burned. And burned. And burned. For weeks. This was all before my time but if ever I wanted to strike up a conversation with a local resident all I had to do was mention the words 'tire pile' and guaranteed I would hear at least a half hour narrative on the subject.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A community I once worked for had an enormous pile of tires (think thousands of tires) on one man's property near the highway. One day the tires caught fire and burned. And burned. And burned. For weeks. This was all before my time but if ever I wanted to strike up a conversation with a local resident all I had to do was mention the words 'tire pile' and guaranteed I would hear at least a half hour narrative on the subject.
Did you work in Springfield?

Did you work in Springfield?
No, this was in Allegan County.
You could just as well have worked in New York City, for piles o'tires fires were a regular thing in the 1960's-70's. Followed, of course, by myriads of chatty local residents to recant stories about 'em.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
In the first place I worked, we had a tire dump in the northern part of the County. I got tasked with trying to get in cleaned up. It caught fire before the site could get cleaned up. It burned and burned and burned.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Don't know if this belongs here or the "never-ending COVID-19 thread or how i learned to be a maskhole and accept it". But how are y'all communicating with your co-workers? I am just super curious. We are using microsoft teams. Not to shabby for month 4

estromberg

Cyburbian
The know it all is trying to tell me that "dihydrogen monoxide" is NOT water, and that it's a "different molecular form". WTF?
FYI

DVD

Cyburbian
We're using Skype for business. We also have Teams. Most of the meetings are on Cisco Webex.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Don't know if this belongs here or the "never-ending COVID-19 thread or how i learned to be a maskhole and accept it". But how are y'all communicating with your co-workers? I am just super curious. We are using microsoft teams. Not to shabby for month 4
Teams here. Works pretty well, except it mangles tables and other formatting in shared Word docs.

You could just as well have worked in New York City, for piles o'tires fires were a regular thing in the 1960's-70's. Followed, of course, by myriads of chatty local residents to recant stories about 'em.

Like Willets Point?
Oh yes, you are so on the mark!
The Willets Point tires fires started when The Iron Triangle was put together in the 1930's, and they didn't stop until NY claimed eminent domain of the area around 10 years ago.
Planit, how do you know about Willets Point?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I would give my travel coffee mug a 6 out of 10. I wouldn't recommend it to my closest friends, but maybe to miscellaneous acquaintances.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Now that is truly a random thought. And before 8:00 am. Impressive.
On the scale of randomness alone, never mind the hour of posting, I would give his post a solid 7/10. It was largely unlooked for, which is the main thing, however, if awarding points for randomness style I might recommend going with an object, situation, or phenomenon that falls further outside our normal experiences. Coffee mugs, after all, are something many of us see every day and would likely fall under the category of banal objects. For the truly random experience one must search farther afield...

I wonder if Malawi has a Ministry of Good Fortune?

or

My god, my face feels like a Tasmanian Devil's butt today.
Good luck with your random postings!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I would give my travel coffee mug a 6 out of 10. I wouldn't recommend it to my closest friends, but maybe to miscellaneous acquaintances.
I have one mug that I would say is an 8. Nothing in a 9 or a 10. Sombody needs to make the Kleen Kanteen mug (which has a tapered shape like a real coffee cup, important for the cupholder on my bike), upsize it to 24oz (for iced coffee in the summer, I'm not an animal), and graft on the top from a Contigo, because they never spill. That would be a 9.5.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Speaking of tire piles, I had an interesting experience once. I used to work as a surveyor when I got out of college. (it was not a good time to try to find planner work). Anyway, we were doing some boundary survey on a very rural property and on the adjacent property there was all this equipment making noise and we finally worked our way over to that area. This claw thing was just picking up tires from this gigantic pit and dropping them into a shredder. Apparently the state had gotten involved and was trying to clean it up before there actually was a fire. It was a beautiful area but somehow this guy had become a tire dump for many, many years. But the image I still have in my head 26 years later is the snakes that were falling out of these tires as they were picked up. I'm talking hundreds of them. It was unreal. Like something out of Indiana Jones.

• Wow
Reactions: kms

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of tire piles, I had an interesting experience once. I used to work as a surveyor when I got out of college. (it was not a good time to try to find planner work). Anyway, we were doing some boundary survey on a very rural property and on the adjacent property there was all this equipment making noise and we finally worked our way over to that area. This claw thing was just picking up tires from this gigantic pit and dropping them into a shredder. Apparently the state had gotten involved and was trying to clean it up before there actually was a fire. It was a beautiful area but somehow this guy had become a tire dump for many, many years. But the image I still have in my head 26 years later is the snakes that were falling out of these tires as they were picked up. I'm talking hundreds of them. It was unreal. Like something out of Indiana Jones.
oh that smarts, wow

disgusting 2.gif

Planit

Cyburbian
Oh yes, you are so on the mark!
The Willets Point tires fires started when The Iron Triangle was put together in the 1930's, and they didn't stop until NY claimed eminent domain of the area around 10 years ago.
Planit, how do you know about Willets Point?

I've been to Shea & Citi fields
:cool:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have one mug that I would say is an 8. Nothing in a 9 or a 10. Sombody needs to make the Kleen Kanteen mug (which has a tapered shape like a real coffee cup, important for the cupholder on my bike), upsize it to 24oz (for iced coffee in the summer, I'm not an animal), and graft on the top from a Contigo, because they never spill. That would be a 9.5.
Yes, please. Man, I had to look up both of those, but I am completely in.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
How does one claim eminent domain if an area? Asking for a friend ...

DVD

Cyburbian
There were clouds in the sky today as I drove into the office. I think that confuses Arizona drivers. They were going slower than normal and in the fast lane of all places.

DVD

Cyburbian
I hate people that show up late to appointments. I have you a choice of times, pretty much any time and you said 11. So the day of the appointment you email me to say you're running late and I give you the 11:30 you asked for. So where the F are you!!! I know you'll show up at 12 and expect me to drop my lunch to help out. Time to pull out fatherly lecture 27 about being on time means showing up a couple minutes early and how being on time is respectful to the person you are seeing and all the other customers after you.

estromberg

Cyburbian
I hate people that show up late to appointments. I have you a choice of times, pretty much any time and you said 11. So the day of the appointment you email me to say you're running late and I give you the 11:30 you asked for. So where the F are you!!! I know you'll show up at 12 and expect me to drop my lunch to help out. Time to pull out fatherly lecture 27 about being on time means showing up a couple minutes early and how being on time is respectful to the person you are seeing and all the other customers after you.
Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I grew up in a family of early show up and married into a family of late arrivals - I love it when I am 15 minutes early, which is on time in my family and I hate the stress of being late or rushing in at the last moment and on time but I do it sometimes - now I do it as I have some adult attention issues which makes getting out the door really hard so I have to focus-focus like crazy to get out early enough to be 15 minutes early

Big Owl

Cyburbian
One day I am dealing with a junkyard fire and the next day, a potential sexually oriented business. Two issues that are so different, yet so similar at the same time.

DVD

Cyburbian
So I berated the late guy. He finally shows up at 12:40 for an 11:00 appointment. That was satisfying.

I swear all automatic queue speaker just said, "Now serving 1011 at the shite development counter". Gotta use an English accent.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
One day I am dealing with a junkyard fire and the next day, a potential sexually oriented business. Two issues that are so different, yet so similar at the same time.
It's what keeps a planner's life interesting. After 32 years of planning, I have so much random and otherwise useless crap running through my head, it's not funny.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This is close to me, about 2 miles away.

Really.... much ado about nothing. They came and rounded them up Thursday.

It's a good story though. These things are beaver-sized rodents. First time I saw one in person I didn't know what they were and I was all OMG. Since then I see one once in a while. They travel from the river up through the creek beds. At this particular park the locals started feeding them so the population exploded.

If you feed them they will come right up to you. They're not a threat to people (any more than a squirrel) but they can carry diseases including rabies and will wreck the local ecosystem if left unchecked, messing with water plants and river/creek beds, and displacing native wildlife.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Nutria are bad news. They destroyed untold acres of marshland on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Aggressive hunting and bounties has finally eradicated them almost completely after decades. I know there's millions of them in Louisiana and Texas.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I would like to see an upgraded design for doors. Are the doors we have the most efficient? Who decided that? Can't we do better?