• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Planit

Cyburbian
The Fuddruckers here closed 10 years or so ago and has sat vacant since then. We always joked that its cursed - both the site & the building because it was a Fuddruckers.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Fuddruckers here closed 10 years or so ago and has sat vacant since then. We always joked that its cursed - both the site & the building because it was a Fuddruckers.
Maybe you're onto something regarding a Fuddruckers Curse. The one near me hasn't sat vacant but every restaurant that tried to go in there has failed rather quickly.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Maybe you're onto something regarding a Fuddruckers Curse. The one near me hasn't sat vacant but every restaurant that tried to go in there has failed rather quickly.
Ours is a bank now. I am pretty sure it went out to pasture in 2010...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am going to buy one pumpkin spice latte. One.
Hear ye hear ye. The High Council of Men is now convened. The first order of business on the floor is disciplinary case #118A: a Mr. Hink was recorded as saying he wants to "buy a pumpkin spice latte". Does Hink have counsel available? If not, counsel may be appointed to represent you at no cost in this matter. Or does the defendant wish to represent himself? Does the defendant have anything to say in his defense?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hear ye hear ye. The High Council of Men is now convened. The first order of business on the floor is disciplinary case #118A: a Mr. Hink was recorded as saying he wants to "buy a pumpkin spice latte". Does Hink have counsel available? If not, counsel may be appointed to represent you at no cost in this matter. Does the defendant have anything to say in his defense?
Clutching my pearls! Horrors! Not before the killing frost!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Pumpkin Spice Latte are an abomination I tell you.

The only acceptable Pumpkin foods are

Pie
Ice Cream
Bread / Dessert Loafs
Muffins
Donuts

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Pie
Ice Cream
Bread / Dessert Loafs
Muffins
Donuts
Agreed. Hink, are you aware that the penalty for publicly expressing a desire for pumpkin spice lattes carries a MANDATORY 6 month man card suspension? These are serious charges.

Planit

Cyburbian
I believe Mr. Hink has a had continuous history of making poor decisions.
All I need to do is show this as the college he chooses to cheer for during a football season (which won't even play this fall).

1599764899532.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I believe Mr. Hink has a had continuous history of making poor decisions.
All I need to do is show this as the college he chooses to cheer for during a football season (which won't even play this fall).

View attachment 49060
Or as Hink is quick to point out, no, it's not "Ohio State" it's THE Ohio State University

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Women, why can't you appreciate it when your male partner explains the satisfaction that comes from having a good, healthy :poop:?
We just want to know that you're satisfied. The reason why isn't important. Especially that one.
I dunno... when I come out of the bathroom claiming to be satisfied, if I don't tell my wife why/how I was satisfied her mind might wander to other methods.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Hear ye hear ye. The High Council of Men is now convened. The first order of business on the floor is disciplinary case #118A: a Mr. Hink was recorded as saying he wants to "buy a pumpkin spice latte". Does Hink have counsel available? If not, counsel may be appointed to represent you at no cost in this matter. Or does the defendant wish to represent himself? Does the defendant have anything to say in his defense?

Pie
Ice Cream
Bread / Dessert Loafs
Muffins
Donuts
Agreed. Hink, are you aware that the penalty for publicly expressing a desire for pumpkin spice lattes carries a MANDATORY 6 month man card suspension? These are serious charges.
Next thing Hink will be telling us he likes pumpkin spice scented candles.
complete dealbreaker right there
Okay council. I said one. One. I mean, there is no proof that I have had more than that, nor that I have enjoyed them. I just said I had one...ish.

Also, since you are all SOOO much better than people who may, or may not (nothing has been proven), enjoy one pumpkin spice latte per year, what is your goto Starbucks drink then? A carmel machiatto? Or some Christmas flavored drink? Or DRAGONBERRY?

Also:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
...what is your goto Starbucks drink then?
Nothing as Starbucks' coffee tastes of burnt dirt and their hot chocolate even tastes burnt. How do they ruin hot chocolate?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It all starts with one - oh I'll just have one

It's a gateway drug to Hallmark movie-watching and quoting The View

We'll be doing an intervention by spring when you start reminiscing about West Palm...
it's a slippery slope. One minute you're sipping a pumpkin spice latte and before you know it you're attending Oprah's book signings or comparing swatches of off-white and beige in deciding which draperies work best for the family room. It's quite sad, really. Hink, hand over your man card immediately. It's for the best.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Also, since you are all SOOO much better than people who may, or may not (nothing has been proven), enjoy one pumpkin spice latte per year, what is your goto Starbucks drink then? A carmel machiatto? Or some Christmas flavored drink? Or DRAGONBERRY?
I guess I'm a basic b____ since I love Starbucks, though now I only go once every couple of weeks.

In the mornings, my goto drink is a Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew and in the afternoon I usually get whatever seasonal lattes or frappuccinos they've got going on. I've never had a desire to try the pumpkin spice but I like the other fall and winter ones like creme brulee or chestnut praline or salted caramel mocha.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's a slippery slope. One minute you're sipping a pumpkin spice latte and before you know it you're attending Oprah's book signings or comparing swatches of off-white and beige in deciding which draperies work best for the family room. It's quite sad, really. Hink, hand over your man card immediately. It's for the best.
Stay out of Home Goods, man!

DVD

Cyburbian
As HInk's attorney I will point out that there is no acceptable pumpkin spice for men outside of those listed by JNA. The Starbucks defense also doesn't work. I am rarely seen in a Starbucks and when I am it is usually to impress or cater to a lady. Drinks chosen at Starbucks should be appropriately manly like black coffee, tea of some kind, or even some fruity or sweet drink if used to impress the lady you're with such as flattering her by drinking the same or similar drink. Pumpkin spice is not an acceptable drink to impress a lady with. You''re better off going with the fru fru drink and admitting you have a sweet tooth hoping the lady will think you are sweet. The only acceptable time to drink pumpkin spice is after losing a bet and doing the manly thing and following through on the stakes of the bet.

As Hink's attorney I am putting in a plea of losing a bet. That must be the only reason Hink had a pumpkin spice anything.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yes, losing a bet would be a meritorious defense. Similarly, having a tea party with one's preschool daughter might also qualify. Unfortunately, there's no evidence of either. Verdict: hand over the card!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Fuddruckers going out of business. What a shame.
Not at all. The only times I went there was for lunches with people from work. It was fine, but there was nothing that distinguished it from local mom & pop burger joints. It was never a place I would choose to go.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
... but I like the other fall and winter ones like creme brulee or chestnut praline or salted caramel mocha.
That is basically the same thing. I enjoy the salted caramel mocha a lot. But my go to ice cream is also salted caramel or praline, so who knows....

Planit

Cyburbian
I have to admit. I have bought Chai Tea Latte with almond milk @ Starbucks for The Girl. I repeat, for The Girl & she loves it.

Now that she's driving around herself and has a job making her own money, she has her own Starbucks card.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are so many local roasters in Maine that going to Starbucks feels like going to McDonald's

and yes, I have been known to drink my coffee out of a mason jar lol

Bubba

Cyburbian
I have to admit. I have bought Chai Tea Latte with almond milk @ Starbucks for The Girl. I repeat, for The Girl & she loves it.

Now that she's driving around herself and has a job making her own money, she has her own Starbucks card.
Stop it, you're making me feel old...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
That is basically the same thing. I enjoy the salted caramel mocha a lot. But my go to ice cream is also salted caramel or praline, so who knows....
The milk man that delivers to our house always lists a "dark chocolate salted caramel" as one of the ice cream options. We ordered it a couple times way back in the spring when we first started getting the deliveries and it was absolutely delicious. One of the best ice creams I've ever had! And of course it's been out of stock every week since then.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
If you like the Sweet Cream Cold Brew, the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is actually pretty good, and I'm not really a big fan of pumpkin-inspired beverages. But that's the perfect way for me to enjoy a little hint.

But also, if you get the Nitro cold brew, does that kind of offset the pumpkin spice factor? (I'm not a man, so I guess it doesn't matter in my case, but Nitro just makes things sound tough and burly to me.)

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian

Pictures of the same places at 2 points in time...pretty cool stuff.

DVD

Cyburbian

Chai tea isn't anywhere near pumpkin spice. It would be an acceptable drink in cases like my daughter who loves Starbucks and gets all these frilly drinks and I play along getting what I can handle from the place which is iced chai tea latte. It goes to Maisters tea party defense. Otherwise I'm never seen in a Starbucks.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Pictures of the same places at 2 points in time...pretty cool stuff.
Wow, that is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JNA