• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Kind of what I expected.

states-traffic-laws.png

We went through a few bags of these in Germany. I got them for the name and they were pretty good. But not much different than bugles.

When I lived in New Mexico, many stores and flea market stands would stock Mexico domestic market goods. I wondered about the snack foods with ambiguous names, and packaging with no description or depiction of what's actually inside. I guess you're supposed to know that .... oh, Chavuchiltos are lemon- and picante-flavored pretzel sticks, because there's a happy bear and his hummingbird pal on the front of the bag; with no indication of "limon" or "picante".

Meanwhile, in Germany ...

fussbodenschliefmaschieneverleih.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm stunned that Florida isn't dark purple in this chart - however, there's a lot of people from Ohio that come to Florida on vacation & the Florida cops look for those plates I reckon.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
One of my favorite little bits in the domain of rock n roll starts with the guitar in the bridge following the initial chorus (~1:24 in the video)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
One of my favorite little bits in the domain of rock n roll

My immediate reaction was, "Hey I have some favorite little riffs too...." But now I can't think of any. They will come, and let me assure you, they they do, I will post them.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My immediate reaction was, "Hey I have some favorite little riffs too...." But now I can't think of any. They will come, and let me assure you, they they do, I will post them.
Along a similar vein, another little favorite rock n roll bit can be found where the barking guitar starts in around 3:20

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Imagine having a history teacher assign to you the task of writing a paper summarizing the American revolutionary war. Two hours before it is due; they ask you to include information in that paper about the Battle of the Bulge. Confusing, right? That's what it is like working with our current administration here.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We were surprised to discover that we had two four-drawer file cabinets in the City Clerk's basement storage area, filled with BZA and PC meeting files from the late 1990s to ~2006. Neither myself nor my staff have the slightest inkling how they got there. But now I have 13 additional 1.5 cu.ft. boxes that need to go to long term storage.

I wish I could afford an intern to scan them, but ala$, there'$ no moolah.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've had David Bowie's song, Starman, on the brain since hearing some of it on an episode of The Crown.

"I didn't know what time it was, the lights were low
I leaned back on my radio
Some cat was laying down some rock 'n' roll..."

A wise person once observed that concerning song lyrics we often sing that which we would feel too silly saying.
Show of hands, who hear would at any point in their lifetime utter the phrase "some cat was laying down some rock n roll" with no irony or pretension intended? Anyone? Buehler?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Hey do any of you cats get the vibe that adopting reasonable land use regulations results in a community achieving their own righteous groove? Like, you dig on on what I'm saying, man?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Form based codes are like far out, man. The cats in my department are laying down some serious regs, baby.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

I probably watched this video 500 times when I was 12 or 13 and I still don't tire of the song.

When I was a kid, my friend would record stand up routines and MST3K episodes on Comedy Central The Comedy Network and he would put a music video between each routine/episode and we'd watch those everyday after school or for hours in the summer when we got bored with Nintendo or D&D. It seemed like Been Caught Stealing was every other video he recorded so it would be on each VHS cassette 5 or 6 times. Some others I remember being in heavy rotation on those cassettes:

Right Here, Right Now
Enter Sandman
Set Adrift on Memory Bliss
Janie's Got a Gun
Rhythm Nation
Epic
The Humpty Dance

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I probably watched this video 500 times when I was 12 or 13 and I still don't tire of the song.

When I was a kid, my friend would record stand up routines and MST3K episodes on Comedy Central The Comedy Network and he would put a music video between each routine/episode and we'd watch those everyday after school or for hours in the summer when we got bored with Nintendo or D&D. It seemed like Been Caught Stealing was every other video he recorded so it would be on each VHS cassette 5 or 6 times. Some others I remember being in heavy rotation on those cassettes:

Right Here, Right Now
Enter Sandman
Set Adrift on Memory Bliss
Janie's Got a Gun
Rhythm Nation
Epic
The Humpty Dance
The 1/2 Comedy Hour on MTV on weekeday late afternoons was appointment TV for me at this same time in our/yours/my lives.

Pauly Shore blew my mind, during this period, as a comedy loving pre/early teen. I wonder if he/it holds up now that I am not 12-14 yrs old.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Pauly Shore blew my mind, during this period, as a comedy loving pre/early teen. I wonder if he/it holds up now that I am not 12-14 yrs old.

Despite getting older, and perhaps more sophisticated in my tastes, my sense of humor still loves the same lowbrow jokes from when I was a teenager. Do we ever grow out of some of the classic, simple, and silly comedy?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Who wrote this into an ordinance -

Commercial site plans meeting the requirements for commercial review

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Despite getting older, and perhaps more sophisticated in my tastes, my sense of humor still loves the same lowbrow jokes from when I was a teenager. Do we ever grow out of some of the classic, simple, and silly comedy?
My continued love of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure would say we don't.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A friend of mine fell off her horse yesterday and broke some ribs and busted her nose and had to go into surgery to put a pin in her wrist. Her mom posted on Facebook about it saying that the surgery went well and she should be fine. I had to fight so many urges not to ask if she was in stable condition. I did however express my wishes that she get back in the saddle again soon.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, this is interesting. A community not too far from us had a rash of vehicle breaks ins and even the theft of two cars. The information from the police is that the thieves used some type of universal or changing frequency device to unlock the vehicles and the two that were stolen were push button start.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Additionally, it's a matter of sincerity and genuine delivery that worked for those/that comedy then and, really, anytime. That's why Encino Man, Pauly Shore's early sets and Bill&Ted's EA worked then and still work today. To be fair, I haven't seen Encino Man in awhile, so I reserve the right to change my mind on that one, but.... :music:Memory... :music:

colin cowherd football GIF

A friend of mine fell off her horse yesterday and broke some ribs and busted her nose and had to go into surgery to put a pin in her wrist. Her mom posted on Facebook about it saying that the surgery went well and she should be fine. I had to fight so many urges not to ask if she was in stable condition. I did however express my wishes that she get back in the saddle again soon.
Give it a couple more days for the 'stable' joke implementation. Are these friends (and family of friends) that know you well enough for this to 'work'?

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Give it a couple more days for the 'stable' joke implementation. Are these friends (and family of friends) that know you well enough for this to 'work'?

They are definitely close enough for them to find this amusing in a day or two. And thankfully for the sake of added fun internet drama, she has a bunch of friends on her Facebook page who I'm pretty sure would never see the humor in it. :rofl:

As for the Pauly Shore discussion: I re-watched Encino Man early in the summer. It holds up!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This post is to acknowledge there are a great many delightful Friday-themed gifs to choose from if one checks the 'beer' icon on the toolbar.

Happy Friday GIF by Justin
Its Friday Meme GIF by Mushmushfun
Its Friday GIF
Friday Feeling GIF
Good Times Dance GIF by Jackson-Triggs

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I can not stand Pauly Shore... My kids watched a Goofy Movie and he voiced a character and I had to leave the room. There are few actors that I find more annoying.

For some reason I totally agree with you on how annoying he is, yet I still love a lot of his movies. I don't know what that says about my intellectual development, or lack thereof.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm with Mskis on this one. Pauly Shore = nails on chalkboard to my ears.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I keep getting prompted by Word to use an Oxford comma and it's bothering me.

Though not enough, apparently, to check settings, find the auto-grammar suggestions section, and stop the function.

word everyone GIF

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I keep getting prompted by Word to use an Oxford comma and it's bothering me.

Though not enough, apparently, to check settings, find the auto-grammar suggestions section, and stop the function.

word everyone GIF
That is an astute, perceptive, and entirely correct observation.