• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Thank you for this quick, timely and appreciated reply.
Wait, I'm super confused now. Are you saying your appreciation is premised entirely on timeliness? or is it quickness? Because something can be quick and yet at the same time not be timely, and whether or not you appreciate something for quickness, as being distinct from your appreciation of timeliness is.......ENTIRELY UNCLEAR. In fact I'm gaping at that word salad you just posted IN HORROR. What the hell are you trying to say, man? It is so confusing!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Wait, I'm super confused now. Are you saying your appreciation is premised entirely on timeliness? or is it quickness? Because something can be quick and yet at the same time not be timely, and whether or not you appreciate something for quickness, as being distinct from your appreciation of timeliness is.......ENTIRELY UNCLEAR. In fact I'm gaping at that word salad you just posted IN HORROR. What the hell are you trying to say, man? It is so confusing!
Cool GIF

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior stayed home from school. Had a runny nose since last night. Claims its allergies. Just gave him a home covid test 20 minutes ago. Assuming the lack of a phone call from Mrs. Maister the last few minutes means negative results.

EDIT: home test came out negative.

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Junior stayed home from school. Had a runny nose since last night. Claims its allergies. Just gave him a home covid test 20 minutes ago. Assuming the lack of a phone call from Mrs. Maister the last few minutes means negative results.
I hope he gets to feeling better soon. My youngest was out of school due to allergies last week and the school required a negative covid test before she could return. After a doctor's visit, a dozen phone calls and half a dozen emails, we got all the required documentation so that she could return to school today.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I hope he gets to feeling better soon. My youngest was out of school due to allergies last week and the school required a negative covid test before she could return. After a doctor's visit, a dozen phone calls and half a dozen emails, we got all the required documentation so that she could return to school today.
This was my concern. Getting an 'official' covid test takes like 3 days. That's 3 days he's out of class. And Junior is not one to catch up after falling behind.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Getting an 'official' covid test takes like 3 days.
Huh? The one "official" COVID test I've had returned the result in about eight hours. And, while it was booked in advance, I could have gotten roughly the same time slot as a walk in.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Itty Bitty caught a cold the Friday of her first full week of school. She managed to give it to Hubby too.

The kitties and I slept in the other room and managed to be spared.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
This was my concern. Getting an 'official' covid test takes like 3 days. That's 3 days he's out of class. And Junior is not one to catch up after falling behind.
Fortunately for us, the school will accept a pcr test or lft (rapid) with diagnoses from the doctor. The pcr test take 3-5 days to get results. We were about to get a rapid test at our family doctor and results within an hour.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Huh? The one "official" COVID test I've had returned the result in about eight hours. And, while it was booked in advance, I could have gotten roughly the same time slot as a walk in.
Welcome to my county's health dept.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Additionally, it's a matter of sincerity and genuine delivery that worked for those/that comedy then and, really, anytime. That's why Encino Man, Pauly Shore's early sets and Bill&Ted's EA worked then and still work today. To be fair, I haven't seen Encino Man in awhile, so I reserve the right to change my mind on that one, but.... :music:Memory... :music:
I watched Encino Man about 2 years ago, and I thought it was still entertaining - though Brendan Fraser really helps.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Aaron Rodgers needs to check is ego. If I was the coach, I would bench him for a game to help him realize that he is not in charge of the team, and after a performance like that, he's not even in charge of his throwing arm.

zman

Cyburbian
Tests at our City's site take about 24 hours (including 2 on my own tests when I got the 'Rona). This includes a daily courier drive of all samples 4 hours to a lab in Seattle.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I quit facebook.. evidently I am not allowed to have an opinion on my what goes in for local politics that is outside of the muni I work for..:censored:

Probably for the best.

Sorry - yeah that's the weird side of Facebook and Twitter - either you are fake and everything is great and sparkly or if you tell it like it is, it's bad high drama or, if it's work related, inappropriate

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Tests at our City's site take about 24 hours (including 2 on my own tests when I got the 'Rona). This includes a daily courier drive of all samples 4 hours to a lab in Seattle.
I get tested at least 1 to 2 times a week. The longest it has taken was 18 hours to get results back. Test process takes 15 minutes.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Sorry - yeah that's the weird side of Facebook and Twitter - either you are fake and everything is great and sparkly or if you tell it like it is, it's bad high drama or, if it's work related, inappropriate
It was actually nextdoor. But because Nextdoor changed their algorithm on who can view what, I was outted because someone from my judication I work for saw a response I put when discussing the city where I live in's mayoral appointment. Likely will get a talking to from the CM (not surprised). Sooo just took Facebook down at the same time. Weirdly it was liberating.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was actually nextdoor. But because Nextdoor changed their algorithm on who can view what, I was outted because someone from my judication I work for saw a response I put when discussing the city where I live in's mayoral appointment. Likely will get a talking to from the CM (not surprised). Sooo just took Facebook down at the same time. Weirdly it was liberating.

I will miss your posts though - but keep instagrammin'

DVD

Cyburbian
I dropped all that social media like JNA holding a smart phone. Don't miss is it at all, but then I don't have any desire to post pictures of what I ate or see pictures of you hanging out at the latest bar. So I guess I'm saying no one misses me either.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Social media and news seems to breed distrust and anger. I need to get away...
I agree... I would also add stupidity as well.

I am shifting my "Social" media focus more towards work related items and using Linked-in more.

kms

Cyburbian
Social media and news seems to breed distrust and anger. I need to get away...
Both have turned nice people into angry and insulting people. I'm starting to feel as though I misjudged some of my friends.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I agree... I would also add stupidity as well.

I am shifting my "Social" media focus more towards work related items and using Linked-in more.
LinkedIn is terrible too. It used to be a safe space, but now it is almost as bad.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I use Facebook sparingly. I only have about 70 friends on there and generally they are all people I either went to school with (elementary school, high school, grad school) or served with in the Marine Corps.

I don't add family. I don't add co-workers. I don't add parents of my kids friends. That seems to cut down on a lot of the drama.

I don't post on Facebook too often but I keep my account because I am in a couple of Facebook groups dedicated to local runners and people do post good stuff on there in terms of sales at local stores, interesting routes, local group runs, 5k and 10k runs, etc.

LinkedIn is useless to me but I do have a premium account because it's free to veterans. My employer tries to get us to post stuff on our personal LinkedIn pages and there are a couple of folks here who do quite a bit but I just don't care. I log into it maybe once every few months.

I will admit to enjoying Instagram. Maybe I'm "basic" but I enjoy scrolling through occasionally and looking at pictures of watches and people who post up stuff about running and fitness. Excuse me now while I go sip my Starbucks cold brew and pull my Uggs back on...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Facebook is a massive time suck. I'm as close to quitting entirely as I think I have ever been. I'll miss a few people, but so be it.

Other than here, I've got no presence on other social media platforms. Semi-luddite, neo-luddite? Meh.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The massive zit that is growing on my the tip of my nose is thankful for the office masking rule.
You need a pimple patch. It's a hydrocolloid disk with salicylic acid. Stick on at bedtime and take it off in the morning. They work.

Reactions: kms

zman

Cyburbian
My oldest had a headache at school yesterday… miraculously better when we got home and had a glass of water. But has to have a negative ‘Rona test to return. So we are lining up at Urgent care for a radio test.
The kid lives off of chips, soda, and Fortnite. I think he’s understanding that he needs water.
(hopefully negative test)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You need a pimple patch. It's a hydrocolloid disk with salicylic acid. Stick on at bedtime and take it off in the morning. They work.

ORDERED!

I'll report back tomorrow whether or not you need to reimburse me for this purchase. ;)

Possibly TMI
This is one of those pimples that's painful to touch and it still isn't "developed" enough to pop it.... yes, yes, I know that's frowned upon.

Planit

Cyburbian
We just received a new print head for our plotter. It arrived safe and sound in its shipping.
1631633049198.png

Yes, that is all that was in the box.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I look at FB and Twitter every day but rarely, RARELY, post anything. Really try not to read comments. Cesspool, indeed.

DVD

Cyburbian
Kids getting a couple teeth pulled today and mom is freaking out. I will survive this day. Gloria told me so.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone knows that office moves stink. But office moves during packet week are the penultimate suxxor.
We moved our office from one side of the building to the other under duress in July while most of us worked 1 day a week in the office. We were given a 5 day notice and little assistance. The tail end of Hurricane Ida caused severe window leaks in our former office so the joke is on them....

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thankfully whenever we move offices or cubes, we don't have to do much other than pack up a box or two of "personal effects" if we have them. The moving of everything else is strictly left up to our Facilities and IT folks. So much so that we get gently scolded if we're seen plugging in phone line or pushing our desk chair over to the new spot. I believe this is some custom leftover from when everybody in the departments were union and there was more of a concern, from a contract sense, over who did what work.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
So, I've been back in Graduate MUP courses since August 25th and it feels really good to be back. Taking a GIS class and a Land Use Law seminar.

I also found a job with a local non-profit, 15 minutes away from my (parents) house so I have been working and studying. This is the first time I am regularly employed since 2019 and my Move-to-Montreal (to be a hipster) blunder. Coworkers and org are great! Not directly planning related, but probably the best organization I have worked for since I was an undergrad. Workplace culture is very supportive and nontoxic, and most importantly I enjoy the job!

I am very busy and kinda stressed, but productive stress is soooo much more bearable than existential "how am I going to pay my bills" stress. I am on track to payoff all my lingering Canada debt by October, yay!!

Next goals to tackle (now that School and Work are taken care of):

-Get back to my 2019 pre covid weight and get a physical with a new GP (the one I had been seeing retired)

-Save up for another Volvo 240!

2020 was a really bad year, but I needed it to happen, otherwise I would have not had my wake up call, I'd be a fixed gear riding barista in Montreal going nowhere fast.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It is not surprising, but amazing to me, that people work so hard to be angry, but refuse to work to be happy.

It takes effort, unless you are independently wealthy. I am still on board that money can equal happiness as long as money equals more time to do what makes you happy.

Reactions: kms