• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Thankfully whenever we move offices or cubes, we don't have to do much other than pack up a box or two of "personal effects" if we have them. The moving of everything else is strictly left up to our Facilities and IT folks. So much so that we get gently scolded if we're seen plugging in phone line or pushing our desk chair over to the new spot. I believe this is some custom leftover from when everybody in the departments were union and there was more of a concern, from a contract sense, over who did what work.
That's the way it works at the company I work for, a union shop.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Professional movers are contracted to move my plotter, the city safe, and some other pieces but otherwise all the boxes are being moved by guys from the street and flood control departments. We are expected to move our desktop/personal stuff only. We are not taking any furniture from the old shop - if you saw it, you'd understand why. There's all new furnishings in the new offices.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Our City Hall is closed to the public for the second time. People were just getting use to us being open. It's a common occurrence to see people looking into the building with their face pressed up against the glass. It's proof that signs notifying people of our closure are only effective if people read them.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Given the Covid situation -

Would you go to your in-person state conference that was being held out of town ?
Even if you were vaccinated ?
Would you even stay over night ?

I don't need the CMs

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Whenever I am in a bathroom, changing room, or dressing room and someone knocks on the door or tries the handle, I yell, "Ocupado!" instead of something normal like, "I'm in here."

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I saw my PCP yesterday afternoon. Been dealing with a cold, had it confirmed that I do not have the 'vid. My BP is high though and cholesterol up a bit and they said I have an 11% chance of heart attack or stroke. Interesting new metrics. So they are changing my meds a bit. I bike and swim, but I need to get my nutrition buttoned up so they referred me to a nutritionist. Genetics are tough to beat lol.

DVD

Cyburbian
As of today I have 40 reviews (a few are multiple items on the same plan set like site review and landscape review), 3 new projects to review, 21 emails, a 4 hour customer service shift, and 7 project meetings. I can do this all by the end of the week.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Would you go to your in-person state conference that was being held out of town ?

I don't need the CMs
No. The staying overnight isn't so much the problem, as the grouping of people indoors. If you don't need the CM's, don't risk it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian

I don't need the CMs
Personally I would if it's something I really wanted to do. But that's me. I'm comfortable with the risk but I understand those who are not. I'm vaccinated, have no underlying conditions and have had Covid already so I feel pretty good about my chances. And driving to work everyday is a bigger risk than going somewhere and possibly contracting Covid and being very sick or worse. But again that's just me and everyone's situation is different.

Salmissra

Cyburbian

I don't need the CMs
I'm going to ours, but it's local and I don't have to stay overnight somewhere. If I had to travel, probably not.

I'm going to be wearing a mask all day. I'm vaccinated.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member

I don't need the CMs
Yeah, no. I'm not going. It wasn't really a hard choice, either.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
The Iowa League of Cities conference starts today. I took the virtual option.

With my mom's situation and fighting this cold, I just didn't feel like going.

zman

Cyburbian

I don't need the CMs
I’d go. I went to the state city managers conference in July in person and had no issues. It is good for me to drive to the coast and see people. Everyone took to their preferred level of caution and prevention.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

I don't need the CMs
Given your underlying health issues, I'd be leery.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just don't want to be in a hotel for mine so I am thinking of staying at my friend-who-is-my-pandemic-bubble even though it's an hour and a half away

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I'm going (and presenting) It's around the corner for me but honestly travel and hotels in my region is not what freaks me out. I'm vaccinated, will be masked inside. Fingers crossed that things don't get worse between now and the conference- that would lead me to rethink.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

I don't need the CMs
No. With break-through cases, it is not worth the risk.

Our state conference has gone virtual again.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I won't even go into one of our large conference rooms here at the office if there is more than about 3 other people and we're all masked and I know we're all vaccinated (I connect remotely to nearly all of our meetings in-house).

There's no way I'd go into a hotel conference center with dozens or hundreds of people.

FWIW, a co-worker decided to attend a conference in-person that our large regional chamber was hosting a couple weeks ago. He said there were probably 75 people in a conference room designed for a couple hundred, but only a few were masked and nobody was keeping any distance during the networking time at the start. He got his free beer (or two) and promptly noped his way out of there after about 10 minutes.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Ugg. Sent out a 1-page memo for comment. Memo format is the exact same as last year (and the year before, and the year before that . . .) with updated information.

Comments back from the same people who've reviewed it the last two years include:

1) correct memo format - it's not the way we do things around here
2) why is this a memo and not a letter?
3) Did Big Boss ask for this to be a memo and not a letter?

So, I attached the previous 3 year's worth of memos, spent minimal time formatting into a letter, and included the amount of time and resources needed to mail merge and print these letters to match printed envelopes. I pointed out that the memo format cut back on processing and was actually the way we've been doing things around here.

Response: keep it a memo.

Really? A lot of work to prove I'm right.

And now I'm ready to beat traffic and go home. I'll log on later to do some back office/website updates.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I’d go. I went to the state city managers conference in July in person and had no issues. It is good for me to drive to the coast and see people. Everyone took to their preferred level of caution and prevention.
July was a whole 'nuther ball game.

My fair state has numbers comparable to the highest surge last year, and that's with more than 50% vaccinated.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have to accomplish at least two things today. I'll keep you posted.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
July was a whole 'nuther ball game.

My fair state has numbers comparable to the highest surge last year, and that's with more than 50% vaccinated.

Not quite comparable to the previous peaks (but our numbers are still definitely trending in the wrong direction).

For Michigan:
1631795481230.png

We've currently got a 7-day average of 3,094 new cases. In the spring, that average peaked at 7,600 new cases and in the winter it hovered between aboud 6,800 and 7,500.

Hospitalizations and deaths are also substantially lower than our previous peaks and surges:
1631795742587.png

I still wouldn't be headed out to a big in-person conference!

I wish the state would go back to reporting out the numbers on a daily basis, instead of this every 2 and 3 days garbage.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Not quite comparable to the previous peaks (but our numbers are still definitely trending in the wrong direction).

For Michigan:
View attachment 55091

We've currently got a 7-day average of 3,094 new cases. In the spring, that average peaked at 7,600 new cases and in the winter it hovered between aboud 6,800 and 7,500.
What proportion of those new cases and hospitalizations are pediatric?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
TIL I could never foster for dogs. A stray followed my son and his dog home last night. We kept him in our yard overnight until Animal Control could come over this morning and pick him up. I already bonded with him and hated to see him go. He is such a sweet dog.
1631802228610.png

Reactions: Dan

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those graphs are from the NY Times. They don't report granular data like that. Many local health departments and states also do not report out granular data that allow you to focus on the detailed current case data.

zman

Cyburbian
Anyone else re-plate their take out food when they get it home? The wife said I was a weirdo for taking my delicious steak and steelhead fillet out of the container and putting on to one of our typical plates.

My rationale:
  • Typically, I dont like the lack of stability a styrofoam clamshell offers (I really dont like that restaurants still use those, but thats another topic).
  • With a steak, I want to be able to cut into it and not piece through the plastic (which was last night's container).
  • Plus, it just looks and feels better if I am home eating from my own dishes.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Co-worker to deputy director: I love ball parks that I can get to on public transportation.
Other co-worker: That's because you don't drive!
Me texting the other co-worker: SAVAGE
Deputy director: You really don't drive?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Anyone else re-plate their take out food when they get it home? The wife said I was a weirdo for taking my delicious steak and steelhead fillet out of the container and putting on to one of our typical plates.

My rationale:
  • Typically, I dont like the lack of stability a styrofoam clamshell offers (I really dont like that restaurants still use those, but thats another topic).
  • With a steak, I want to be able to cut into it and not piece through the plastic (which was last night's container).
Depends on the food. For steak, yes. I had takeout enchiladas yesterday and I replated; if cutting is involved replating is a must. If it's handheld (burgers or gyros or whatever) then, no.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This website teases out the age groups in the hospitalization data, but pediatric cases are grouped into age 0-17. You can search by region or state, but nothing more specific.

zman

Cyburbian
Depends on the food. For steak, yes. I had takeout enchiladas yesterday and I replated; if cutting is involved replating is a must. If it's handheld (burgers or gyros or whatever) then, no.
Thats a good point. Burgers and handhelds can stay. Chicken strips, fish and chips, and the like.

We have a great Greek place near our house and I always replate the salad... but that's to get more room to toss it around with the dressing.

On another note: I dont need my Greek food to be that authentic... can I get some pitted Greek olives, please?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Those graphs are from the NY Times. They don't report granular data like that. Many local health departments and states also do not report out granular data that allow you to focus on the detailed current case data.

Michigan reports quite a bit of granular data but the pediatric figures are only publicly available to download on an Excel spreadsheet that gets overwritten daily. So when I look for the data, I can only get a current snapshot, and not a 7-day average or long term figures. There's probably some FTP site out there where I can download all of the old daily reports, but I don't see it. I can see that the currently there are 13 deaths per million for ages 10-19 in the state and about 95k cases per million for that age group, but that's cumulative. There are no deaths reported for ages 0-9 in the state and the current case rate is 36,396 per million, the lowest case rate for all age groups in the state by a long shot.

My rationale:

I'm the same: if it's going to need to be cut up, it will definitely be replated.

Beyond that, it generally depends on the size and shape of the takeout container more so than the food. Even if it's a burger and fries or deli sandwich or some tacos or something, the really deep and narrow containers that some places use are annoying to me so they usually get moved to a plate. One exception: fish and chips never gets replated. For some reason, it just tastes better when everything stays in the packaging it was served to me in and then covered in liberal amounts of malt vinegar.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Found in an old book that belonged to my wife's grandmother.

big_red_cars_03.jpg

big_red_cars_02.jpg

big_red_cars_01.jpg

Pacific Electric Los Angeles - Glendale - Burbank interurban schedule, January 10 1949.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This website teases out the age groups in the hospitalization data, but pediatric cases are grouped into age 0-17. You can search by region or state, but nothing more specific.

Thank you for sharing this, it's very cool! (the visualizations and available data, not the fact that we need it)

I'm sort of surprised that the trend for hospitalizations for 0-17 year-olds in Michigan is actually still quite a bit lower than it was in the spring.

Mods:
Please feel free to move all these COVID posts over to the COVID thread.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
What with all the packing we've done ahead of the move this weekend, it feels like I'm working from a warehouse
Cosmo Kramer Yes GIF

zman

Cyburbian
One exception: fish and chips never gets replated. For some reason, it just tastes better when everything stays in the packaging it was served to me in and then covered in liberal amounts of malt vinegar.
Dude, yes. My wife got fish and chips from the restaurant last night and the melding of flavors that occurred on the drive home made them EPIC! They also made me jealous as I should have gotten that instead (despite my steak being tasty too).

Now, on to steaks. When I travel alone for work, I tend to eat like a fasting monk through the day, saving my per diem for a good steakhouse in the city in which I am staying. Despite going to some great steakhouses around the country, the one steak that stands out to me was a room service steak at the Doubletree Hotel next to SeaTac Airport. Not sure if it was the steak itself, or the fact that I toiled to find the hotel for a last minute stay due to a flight cancellation, but it was one of the best I had. Complete with a glass of cabernet (with the token plastic wrap over the top for transport).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
O.M.G. Are you willing to part with this? I live and breathe for trains and this is like a CHERRY acquisition. If not, are you planning on framing it
I'd like to frame it. I love this kind of ephemera. (FWIW, my wife is an OG Valley Girl from "the good side of Ventura Boulevard".) I also love those headways.

My dad and I rode on the very first "civilian" train to leave Amherst Street station when the subway portion of Buffalo's light rail system opened on May 20, 1985. I still have a lot of first-train-on-opening-day ephemera, One of the best pieces -- a story book and guide for kids on how to ride the subway alone. Free range childhood FTW!

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Now, on to steaks. When I travel alone for work, I tend to eat like a fasting monk through the day, saving my per diem for a good steakhouse in the city in which I am staying. Despite going to some great steakhouses around the country, the one steak that stands out to me was a room service steak at the Doubletree Hotel next to SeaTac Airport. Not sure if it was the steak itself, or the fact that I toiled to find the hotel for a last minute stay due to a flight cancellation, but it was one of the best I had. Complete with a glass of cabernet (with the token plastic wrap over the top for transport).

I don't travel as much for work as some of the folks here in our department, but when I do, I eat much like you. Very little in the morning and through the day and then take myself out for a great dinner once or twice while I'm in town (though I tend to look for the restaurant/bar with the best local craft beer selection instead of the best steak).

There are a couple of vendors that we purchase products/subscriptions from and I usually try to hunt them down if they're at a conference since I can often get a free meal at a great restaurant. I know a few of the salespeople in particular are really into finding the best restaurants in the area that they can.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Despite going to some great steakhouses around the country, the one steak that stands out to me was a room service steak at the Doubletree Hotel next to SeaTac Airport. Not sure if it was the steak itself, or the fact that I toiled to find the hotel for a last minute stay due to a flight cancellation, but it was one of the best I had. Complete with a glass of cabernet (with the token plastic wrap over the top for transport).
I had a similar experience in Seoul, Korea, when I had a flight delay. I ended up at the Holiday Inn and ordered a steak and it was delicious.

Veloise

Cyburbian

For Michigan:
View attachment 55091

Hospitalizations and deaths are also substantially lower than our previous peaks and surges:
View attachment 55092

I still wouldn't be headed out to a big in-person conference!

I wish the state would go back to reporting out the numbers on a daily basis, instead of this every 2 and 3 days garbage.
I was quoting a headline that flew by in the last couple of weeks.

Daily numbers won't help anyone decide to attend a conference or hold a square dance or sit in a packed stadium with screaming fans. I had a test recently; ArriveCAN required that it be 72 hours prior to my arrival at the border. The results came into my email in about 18 hours; if it had been positive, I could have been running around infecting a lot of people.