• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Kids have a weather day due to the anticipated ice storm (We didn't get any ice yet)...

But, like everything else wrong with the pandemic, they have them virtual learning today. It is a load of crap to expect early elementary school age kids to do virtual learning.
My kids have been in distance / virtual learning for almost a year now. 1 out 3 have done well with it. At first I was okay with it, but we have hired a tutor for the younger, and the oldest (high schooler) has gone off a cliff. TBH, I just want my kids back in school at this point, and I will take a hybrid model if I have to.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I was a freshman in college in '78-'79. I took 4-1/2 years of German in high school (we had a semester introduction in 8th grade) so to meet my college foreign language requirement, I thought I'd take German in the spring semester. Lo and behold, my college accepted a large number of Iranian students, deposed of their native land when the Shah was restored to power. None of these guys spoke English when they arrived, and took an immersive language class before enrolling. Wouldn't you know it, one of the classes they had openings in was German 101. With me. By the end of the spring semester, the guys who had only been speaking English for months were already more fluent in German than I was, with 5 years learning.

I took a couple of things from this: either I had a lousy German teacher or these guys were seriously smart. I've always concluded that Iranians are a very smart people. The other thing was if you needed to make a call from the pay phone in your dorm (google it kids), you wanted to do so before the Iranians called home, because a short international call could cost plenty and actually fill up the coin box on the phone, making it only useful for inbound calls until the phone company came to empty the coin box out.

DVD

Cyburbian
I object and move to strike inclusion Exhibit B as it is a dialect of English spoken within the continental United States (despite the best efforts by Jeep) and not a foreign language.

On a side note... I just received an e-mail from info@pelosiforcongress.org asking for a donation. Better chance of getting blood from a rock then $$$ out of me for her campaign.
As an impartial juror that lives in the continental 48 I have to agree that this is not English. Midwest I can accept. Southern I can accept. That is some kind of Canadian dialect making it foreign.

There is a Red Lobster across from my office and my wife has convinced me to bring home dinner from there this evening. It's probably been 8 years since I've had Red Lobster. All I really want is a giant bag of their Cheddar Bay Biscuits.
We buy the box of mix from the store once in a while to feed the children. It keeps them off our back about going to Red Lobster.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
My kids have been in distance / virtual learning for almost a year now. 1 out 3 have done well with it. At first I was okay with it, but we have hired a tutor for the younger, and the oldest (high schooler) has gone off a cliff. TBH, I just want my kids back in school at this point, and I will take a hybrid model if I have to.

Our high-schooler has had the hardest time out of all our four (he's been entirely virtual). Two of the four have been in hybrid school since November and it has helped them regulate themselves (school-work wise and emotionally), even though they don't get much "fun interaction" time with other students, no electives, wear masks all the time, etc. I don't understand why teachers aren't prioritized more for the vaccine than they have been, so we can get schools open again.

arcplans

Our high-schooler has had the hardest time out of all our four (he's been entirely virtual). Two of the four have been in hybrid school since November and it has helped them regulate themselves (school-work wise and emotionally), even though they don't get much "fun interaction" time with other students, no electives, wear masks all the time, etc. I don't understand why teachers aren't prioritized more for the vaccine than they have been, so we can get schools open again.
IKR? Both our counties case loads have gone down significantly. Our district (and I am sure yours) have quite a bit of umm "crunchy" parents, so they have been extremely cautious on re-opening. Our district finally voted to re-open half time starting March 4 for TK-2, March 8 for 3-6, and secondary March 15, if we remain in the "red tier" for 5 days. Based on my conference call this morning, this appears to be doable starting next week.

Both our counties have FUBARd roll out more than likely because we are considered "rural counties" in the State's mind. Like seriously, I am ready to move on from this pandemic.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
As an impartial juror that lives in the continental 48 I have to agree that this is not English. Midwest I can accept. Southern I can accept. That is some kind of Canadian dialect making it foreign.

We buy the box of mix from the store once in a while to feed the children. It keeps them off our back about going to Red Lobster.

I remember back when I was in high school and they had just started serving the cheddar bay biscuits every week my mom would try a different recipe to see how close she could get to the red lobster recipe. It took her a few tries but she eventually nailed it. She still makes them quite a bit.

As for Red Lobster in general... it's pretty gross. Everything is fried. EVERYTHING. Or at least everything in our order yesterday. Oh well. The kids enjoy it and my youngest is like me in that she'd eat 100 shrimp if we let her.

There were a ton of leftovers so I was able to take a bunch of clam strips and some scallops and put them in a bun with some homemade remoulade sauce and coleslaw and get something of the po' boy I've been craving for a long time.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Hey it is Friday Afternoon. I just want to always remind people that when I am on and it is actually then. So you have been reminded.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The hybrid model is an option for my youngest daughter. She does 2 days in school and 3 remote days per week. She excels at it. On the days that she is at school, there are only 12-15 students in her class and she has developed a great relationship with her teachers. She's more confident and feels comfortable asking questions. The full remote would have been awful for us or it was last spring when that was the only option.

Bubba

Cyburbian
As for Red Lobster in general... it's pretty gross. Everything is fried. EVERYTHING. Or at least everything in our order yesterday.
We had a thread (or a subthread in a past Random Thoughts edition) on restaurant chains you generally only eat at when on traveling for work. Red Lobster is one of those for me - if it's across the parking lot from my hotel, there's a good chance I'll eat dinner there at least once out of expediency.

You know, back when work travel was a thing...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The hybrid model is an option for my youngest daughter. She does 2 days in school and 3 remote days per week. She excels at it. On the days that she is at school, there are only 12-15 students in her class and she has developed a great relationship with her teachers. She's more confident and feels comfortable asking questions. The full remote would have been awful for us or it was last spring when that was the only option.

We thought the hybrid model would work... but it doesn't for my oldest. He does two in, three out as well. He has failed tests, struggled with assignments, and homework has been an absolute nightmare. Frustrating thing is the kid is brilliant in math and sciences, but he is struggling to get a 70% on both of those right now. We met with his teacher about this, and apparently when he has a text or quiz in class, he is one of the top students. Outside of class, is is lucky to get a passing grade.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I waited tables at Red Lobster full-time in my early 20's until I got my first planning job and then for a few years part-time after I had an 8-5 job for a total of 5 years. The fresh fish is actually fresh so that's usually a decent bet.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
He hasn't been to Disney either! :D

Could be signs of a sleeper cell . . . .
I've been to Disney World's parking lot and rode the monorail, but haven't been in the park. [/nail biting]

But I've been to DC four times, Philly three times, Boston three times and NYC six to eight times (depending on one's definition).

Praise be the Founding Fathers.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I see a post like mendelman's and it reminds me how I took for granted going to DC and seeing the monuments, the Smithsonian museums and others, etc. Growing up only 70 miles away there were lots of field trips, weekend family trips and the like. For all the grief it gets, it really is a pretty cool city. It's truly a collection of neighborhoods and they are worthy of exploration.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
2062253.gif

TOFB

Cyburbian
I've been to Disney World's parking lot and rode the monorail, but haven't been in the park. [/nail biting]

But I've been to DC four times, Philly three times, Boston three times and NYC six to eight times (depending on one's definition).

Praise be the Founding Fathers.
I feel a separate thread coming . . .

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I see a post like mendelman's and it reminds me how I took for granted going to DC and seeing the monuments, the Smithsonian museums and others, etc. Growing up only 70 miles away there were lots of field trips, weekend family trips and the like. For all the grief it gets, it really is a pretty cool city. It's truly a collection of neighborhoods and they are worthy of exploration.
Try growing up in rural northern Michigan.

Sure...Mackinac Island and the Bridge often. Also, the UP is an experience and I always liked camping at Fayette State Park...but DC within an hour's drive would have been amazing for me as a bit of a history nerd and proto-urbanist kid.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
He hasn't been to Disney either! :D

Could be signs of a sleeper cell . . . .
Ummm... this is true. I have never met the mouse.

Try growing up in rural northern Michigan.

Sure...Mackinac Island and the Bridge often. Also, the UP is an experience and I always liked camping at Fayette State Park...but DC within an hour's drive would have been amazing for me as a bit of a history nerd and proto-urbanist kid.

I loved Fayette State Park. It was an hour from our house, so we never camped there, but there were many field trips and visits. Growing up, we would go hiking in Hiawatha National Forest, fishing on Lake Michigan, canoe the Two Hearted River, sailing in Little Bay De-Noc, cliff diving into Lake Superior, or visiting Kitch-iti-kipi. In the winter, we were always skiing, or snowboarding, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, or ice fishing.

Now that I live in the south, we have been to DC twice. I have yet to go to Ashville or the Biltmore Estate... yet.

arcplans

I don't think I have ever had Red Lobster...
Red lobster is taboo in my "new" family. Probably because they own a seafood restaurant next to the ocean :doubtful: so, they are the definition of "fresh". Also my fiancé's family has quite the take on chain restaurants in general (they don't do them). They refer to Olive Garden as "Italian Denny's". Snobs i tells ya :p

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Mrs. is on her way home from work. She decided to swing by the new Trader Joe's, which just opened today.

trader  joes.jpg

Her text: "I am NOT going in". Don't blame her, now that the students are back.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Red lobster is taboo in my "new" family. Probably because they own a seafood restaurant next to the ocean :doubtful: so, they are the definition of "fresh". Also my fiancé's family has quite the take on chain restaurants in general (they don't do them). They refer to Olive Garden as "Italian Denny's". Snobs i tells ya :p
I will now forever refer to Olive Garden as "Italian Denny's"

That also reminds me that somebody once told me that Buca di Beppo literally translates to "Joe's Hole" and I can never un-know that.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I don't understand why teachers aren't prioritized more for the vaccine than they have been, so we can get schools open again.
At this point, the year+ of the pandemic will be largely a lost year and I think it will pick up again in earnest, in person, in the fall.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
There were a ton of leftovers so I was able to take a bunch of clam strips and some scallops and put them in a bun with some homemade remoulade sauce and coleslaw and get something of the po' boy I've been craving for a long time.
I had a po' boy from Flying Fish tonight. Shrimp. It's not the best I've had, but it's pretty solid. I miss being able to eat in the restaurant, which is kind of like a cajun's summer kitchen with vinyl checkered tablecloths and 1950s style chairs.
flying-fish-07.jpg

Doohickie

Cyburbian
We had a thread (or a subthread in a past Random Thoughts edition) on restaurant chains you generally only eat at when on traveling for work. Red Lobster is one of those for me - if it's across the parking lot from my hotel, there's a good chance I'll eat dinner there at least once out of expediency.

You know, back when work travel was a thing...
That is Applebee's for me. For one of the hotels I stay at, there's only one "bar" close to the hotel and that's the Applebee's. Sometimes there's someone to talk to there and sometimes not. (I prefer to sit at a bar to eat if I'm by myself.)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I waited tables at Red Lobster full-time in my early 20's until I got my first planning job and then for a few years part-time after I had an 8-5 job for a total of 5 years. The fresh fish is actually fresh so that's usually a decent bet.
Good to know.

wintergirl

Cyburbian
The Mrs. is on her way home from work. She decided to swing by the new Trader Joe's, which just opened today.

Her text: "I am NOT going in". Don't blame her, now that the students are back.
I wish our students were back. We're still "learning" entirely online, and the latest plan from the government is to reopen universities in the middle of May, which also happens to be the final teaching week of the term.

I can't figure out if the government are trolling, or if they simply don't know what the university term dates are. I strongly suspect the former.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Saw some hearing advertisements in the paper for a rezoning and variance. Out of curiosity I decided to watch a bit of the meeting video to see how it went down.

Pretty depressing. The guy they got right now has absolutely no idea what he's doing and the new board has opted to just rubber stamp everything because he can't really explain to them what exactly is going on.

Apparently he comes in once a week and hides in the office. He doesn't do any of his own work, instead trying to pawn it off on others.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had a po' boy from Flying Fish tonight. Shrimp. It's not the best I've had, but it's pretty solid. I miss being able to eat in the restaurant, which is kind of like a cajun's summer kitchen with vinyl checkered tablecloths and 1950s style chairs.
flying-fish-07.jpg

The bread on that sandwich looks fantastic! Much more appetizing than the stale hamburger buns I was using!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That was a stock photo from the restaurant's web page. The really thing was good, but didn't look quite that studio-perfect.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I enjoy "me" time, but honestly all it ever does is make me feel less productive and therefore worse. I would rather clear the full list of things I need to get done and then relax, as I will feel like at least I earned it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You're thinking of the 3D "samples" they sometimes have at restaurants. I would guess this pic is real food.
The Japanese have plastic food down to an art form. Don't gimme that real yaki soba, I'll stick with this plastic stuff please.

Edit: I'm kinda like Hink in that I'd much rather take an afternoon off than a morning. I can usually crank out a significant amount of work in a focused half day and then feel good about taking the rest of the day. When you take the morning off you spend half the time dreading going in during afternoon....only two hours before I gotta go in...only 90 minutes before I have to head to work...

Planit

Cyburbian
Today's activities were to include 5 meetings. As of now, I've been to 1 and 3 have been cancelled/postponed.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Saw some hearing advertisements in the paper for a rezoning and variance. Out of curiosity I decided to watch a bit of the meeting video to see how it went down.

Pretty depressing. The guy they got right now has absolutely no idea what he's doing and the new board has opted to just rubber stamp everything because he can't really explain to them what exactly is going on.

Apparently he comes in once a week and hides in the office. He doesn't do any of his own work, instead trying to pawn it off on others.
At least you can file it under "no longer my problem."

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Nice EFIS on that one.
Also, our local TJs was a sea of "white license plates" when the college kids came back, even though they were all supposed to quarantine before heading out into the world after being home. We stayed the heck away.

That said, I hope TJ's never goes back to an occupancy limit of "however many people show up." It's so much easier to navigate when the number of people in the store is metered.

That said, why in heaven's name do they put a bunch of the most desirable things in the same narrow aisle? Coffee, olive oil, pasta, beans, chocolate, salad dressing, frozen desserts, all are in one aisle that is always 50% more crowded (and needs 50% more restocking staff). Painful.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am using an Instapot to make chicken broth/stock from the carcass of the roast chicken we had for dinner last night.

Anyone have any suggestions on how long to leave it in the pot?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am using an Instapot to make chicken broth/stock from the carcass of the roast chicken we had for dinner last night.

Anyone have any suggestions on how long to leave it in the pot?
A while. Instapots do good work quickly, but broth is more time. Maybe 45 minutes? Probably longer though.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
As I'm finalizing my new house plans one thing has come up that I just can't wrap my mind around. The plans call for the microwave to be installed in the island instead of above the range. That leaves space for a very nice exhaust fan/hood. I definitely want the vent to actually go to the outside but having the microwave below my waist does not seem like something I would like. Having to bend over to punch buttons is not something I want to do for something that gets a good bit of use. Does anyone here have a microwave in your kitchen island and if so how do you like it? Or am I overthinking things?

1614017084989.png

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Or am I overthinking things?
You're probably over thinking it.

It depends on how much you actually use the microwave.

I dislike the over-the-range microwave (even though we still have it in our remodeled kitchen because simplicity needs).

Or you could spend $$$$ and get a drawer style microwave.

Last edited: