• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads

TOFB

Cyburbian
As I'm finalizing my new house plans one thing has come up that I just can't wrap my mind around. The plans call for the microwave to be installed in the island instead of above the range. That leaves space for a very nice exhaust fan/hood. I definitely want the vent to actually go to the outside but having the microwave below my waist does not seem like something I would like. Having to bend over to punch buttons is not something I want to do for something that gets a good bit of use. Does anyone here have a microwave in your kitchen island and if so how do you like it? Or am I overthinking things?

View attachment 50746

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
248867.png

DVD

Cyburbian
So my oldest will be allowed to get a learner's permit for driving on December 7th. It will be a day that will live in infamy.

Good news, she doesn't want to drive my car because it's a stick shift.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^teach her to drive a stick just enough so she doesn't have an issue. I taught The Girl to drive my stick in a vacant KMart parking lot on one afternoon. I wanted her to know the basic principles and told her if she ever had to she could. She did okay and was not freaking out about it, but she said she knew she would never want to own one either.

I also taught her to change a tire. Her response on that was she didn't need to know that because we bought her an AAA membership and all she had to do was call them first & me second.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
As I'm finalizing my new house plans one thing has come up that I just can't wrap my mind around. The plans call for the microwave to be installed in the island instead of above the range. That leaves space for a very nice exhaust fan/hood. I definitely want the vent to actually go to the outside but having the microwave below my waist does not seem like something I would like. Having to bend over to punch buttons is not something I want to do for something that gets a good bit of use. Does anyone here have a microwave in your kitchen island and if so how do you like it? Or am I overthinking things?

View attachment 50746
It is the worst. I can't express how bad it is... there are lots of issues with kids (maybe not yours but others), putting junk in it and turning it on, etc. Also, bending down all the time with food is really annoying.

Avoid at all costs. Unless you like it, than go for it ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian

View attachment 50746

I am going to agree with everyone else. Don't do it. We had it years ago in a condo and hated it. We are in very early stages of designing a new house and I am going to have it inside a pantry cabinet that will have storage, microwave, coffee maker, and similar items. That way they are hidden when not in use.

dw914er

Cyburbian

View attachment 50746

My ideal setup is stovetop with a nice range over it, a separate area for the ovens, and a spot for the microwave that is above the counter height. Reaching down to use the microwave would probably get annoying quickly for me.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My ideal setup is stovetop with a nice range over it, a separate area for the ovens, and a spot for the microwave that is above the counter height. Reaching down to use the microwave would probably get annoying quickly for me.

This.

I'd rather have a big ole ugly microwave sitting on top of the counter than down below it.

kms

Cyburbian
This.

I'd rather have a big ole ugly microwave sitting on top of the counter than down below it.
I agree. I have no idea why people use them a knee height.

How large of a microwave do you really need? I use mine mostly for melting butter. It will hold a dinner plate if I want to reheat food.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
How large of a microwave do you really need? I use mine mostly for melting butter. It will hold a dinner plate if I want to reheat food.

When I was little, my parents had a massive microwave that somebody had given them shortly after they got married in the '60s. It was probably about the same size as a 35" TV and it lasted until the early '90s (I'm surprised that cancer isn't more prevalent among us!) and they only got rid of it because the knobs had broken off too many times and could no longer be put back on.

The microwave was large enough that my mom used it to make the Thanksgiving turkey one year when she had loaned out her electric roasting pan (do people still use those?) and didn't want to tie up the oven all morning. It worked great!

Like yours though, our microwave is big enough to hold a large dinner plate and that's plenty for us. I've never needed anything bigger.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My laptop is being pushed to it's limits. I have it plugged into a cheap docking station with two other monitors, full keyboard, and I am running stuff like Bluebeam and about 10 other windows. For a long time it it sounded like an airplane taking off, then I bent up one of those wire upright file holders and it sits in there with the screen open like a folder. The keyboard is almost vertical, but it works great. Air circulates around it and everything stays secure.

Office-Hack Win.

Old Planner

Cyburbian
When I was little, my parents had a massive microwave that somebody had given them shortly after they got married in the '60s. It was probably about the same size as a 35" TV and it lasted until the early '90s (I'm surprised that cancer isn't more prevalent among us!) and they only got rid of it because the knobs had broken off too many times and could no longer be put back on.

The microwave was large enough that my mom used it to make the Thanksgiving turkey one year when she had loaned out her electric roasting pan (do people still use those?) and didn't want to tie up the oven all morning. It worked great!

Like yours though, our microwave is big enough to hold a large dinner plate and that's plenty for us. I've never needed anything bigger.
Yes. I still use mine a few times a year for office get togethers (or would, except COVID) and family dinners where it is used as an extra oven.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
^^^teach her to drive a stick just enough so she doesn't have an issue. I taught The Girl to drive my stick in a vacant KMart parking lot on one afternoon. I wanted her to know the basic principles and told her if she ever had to she could. She did okay and was not freaking out about it, but she said she knew she would never want to own one either.

I also taught her to change a tire. Her response on that was she didn't need to know that because we bought her an AAA membership and all she had to do was call them first & me second.
I didn't learn stick until the age of 22, out of my own volition. My parents grew up with Automatics, and my grandparents (who knew stick) were part of the generation of drivers who preferred auto because they learned on non-synchro, rough shifting, stiff clutch 3 on the trees, 4 on the floors etc. Nonno Tony was a lazy guinea bastard who drove automatic from the early 60s until his death in 2003 (last car was a 95 Taurus, vulcan v6 automatic) and my living maternal grandfather was a truck driver back in the day when his rigs were 12 speeds you needed to double clutch, that had three different gear selectors for all 12 speeds (he drove 1959-65, before the days of range selectors). His argument against it was that he put in plenty of clutch time as a truck driver, and was driving predomonintly in NYC and preferred not having a clutch on Cross-Bronx Expy traffic, which I get. When I bought my first 5 speed car after I finished University, he actually drove it home for me, and I proceeded to have 2 weeks of bucking and stalling until I got the hang of it, now it's like 2nd nature and I am a diehard for the #3pedalmafia.

The only non-stick cars I aspire to own at this point are my dream 77-79 Box Caprice with a 4 speed colum shift auto and 350 V8 and a Diesel Mercedes W116 300SD (simply because finding one with a 4 speed would require a trip to Europe).

I think all new drivers should be required to learn it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

View attachment 50746
My microwave OVER the range vents to the outside. Pretty much all the over the range microwaves are adaptable for real exhausts.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
^^^teach her to drive a stick just enough so she doesn't have an issue. I taught The Girl to drive my stick in a vacant KMart parking lot on one afternoon. I wanted her to know the basic principles and told her if she ever had to she could.
That will quickly become a mute point. I think that in 5-10 years time, cars will have totally switched over to electrics, making multispeed transimissions of all types obsolete.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Last night I had a dream that really messed with my head. I am sure it was not anything I ate or TV or anything like that because yesterday was a great day otherwise.

Planit

Cyburbian
That will quickly become a mute point. I think that in 5-10 years time, cars will have totally switched over to electrics, making multispeed transimissions of all types obsolete.
It will be in the (near) future, but as for now it's something she needs to know IMHO & because I drive a stick.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be planners
Don't let 'em sign permits or redline new plans
Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such
Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be planners
'Cos they'll never be home and they're always alone
Even at public hearing and such

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wife and I were talking about spring cleaning last night. Sounds like we are going to take this to a whole new level and bring it to the level of almost being minimalists. But not fully.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Wife and I were talking about spring cleaning last night. Sounds like we are going to take this to a whole new level and bring it to the level of almost being minimalists. But not fully.
Good luck with that. In prep for moving I have been decluttering the house. Minimalism sounds good until you have to decide to get rid of your mini-muffin pans and china given to you by your great aunt.

bureaucrat#3

My parents had a mid-70's Radarange that made it past the millennium. Many full family meals were "cooked" in it.

One of the best deals I ever made was buying the microwave from the previous tenant of a college apartment for $5. It lasted for 15 years, although the last one required us to multiply the suggested time by 1.5. Our new microwave is now also a toaster oven and air fryer.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So you'll be minimally minimalists? 😉

Yes... exactly. We might even ask if it brings us joy.

Good luck with that. In prep for moving I have been decluttering the house. Minimalism sounds good until you have to decide to get rid of your mini-muffin pans and china given to you by your great aunt.

We are not going total minimalism, but we will be substantially reducing the amount of stuff that we have. We gave extra kids bikes, wagon, tons of clothes, strange household items, books, DVDs, CD's, electronics, dishes, and more.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Yes... exactly. We might even ask if it brings us joy.

We are not going total minimalism, but we will be substantially reducing the amount of stuff that we have. We gave extra kids bikes, wagon, tons of clothes, strange household items, books, DVDs, CD's, electronics, dishes, and more.
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck finding places to take some of that stuff. I have had luck with our local Buy Nothing FB group.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I never thought we'd use an air fryer, but got one from our inlaws for Christmas. Surprisingly, we've used it probably a dozen times since we got it.

DVD

Cyburbian
Speaking if stick-shifts, I really want to get a little stick-shift VW Golf to buzz around Germany. ZOOOOOOOOOM! choke, stall, cough, cough Zoooom!
My last visit to Germany says you want a Porsche or BMW or something that will reach 200 mph (someone translate to kph) with no problem so you can drive in the left lane with the left turn signal on.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
My last visit to Germany says you want a Porsche or BMW or something that will reach 200 mph (someone translate to kph) with no problem so you can drive in the left lane with the left turn signal on.
Well of course I want a BMW or Benz but I am much more of VW kind of girl.

When Hubby and I were first dating and getting to know each other he accused me of driving a Jetta. I have never forgiven him for that.

My daughter wanted her walls in her bedroom painted gray. She didn't want to go to the big box hardware store to pick the color. I didn't want to pick the color because she's picky even though she says she isn't. I got a gallon of agreeable gray, which she loves. Thanks Cyburbia for bringing agreeable gray to my attention.
Cyburbia for the win!!!