• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Why can't the Gross Frustration Aggregate Score (GFAS) also apply to comments & reactions in public meetings ?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Why can't the Gross Frustration Aggregate Score (GFAS) also apply to comments & reactions in public meetings ?
It can, most certainly. Not only that, but we're relying on you to compile the appropriate indexes for the various factors that contribute to GFAS.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It can, most certainly. Not only that, but we're relying on you to compile the appropriate indexes for the various factors that contribute to GFAS.
I am appealing to the collective wisdom & insight of the Throbbing Brain of Cyburbia to list such factors.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If you've got 20 or so minutes to set aside tonight I think you'll find this video about American English dialects fascinating. Well worth the time to watch it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oh goodie....

We have had several different developers have property owners reach out to indicate that they are unhappy with the new development regulations that went into effect over a year ago. Well, those regulations were put in place because the community had become the laughing stock of the region, the downtown was crumbling, crime and poverty were both rising, and industry was rethinking if they wanted to be here.

Yes, it was a significant shift from the way things were done in the past... but the way things were done in the past would have run the Town into the Ground.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We were told that too by a larger MF developer. On one project, this developer told a supplier he'd give them a $3m deposit if they could hold prices for 90 days. The deposit was declined.
Sounds like I should have done that deck reconstruction project last fall rather than this spring. Thankfully it is pretty small.

DVD

Cyburbian
Would you live on a main road (two lane) with sidewalks, that was very close to a playground, a 5 minute walk to downtown, a 4 minute walk to the city park, and a 2km walk to your child's school?
I would say yes, but you need to define main road. Around here that's a 5-6 lane arterial carrying about 40-60k trips per day.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I would say yes, but you need to define main road.
What Dandy's currently considering?

image.jpg

or this?

german-city-suburbs-road-house-gardens-trees-german-city-suburbs-road-house-gardens-98682668.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Would you live on a main road (two lane) with sidewalks, that was very close to a playground, a 5 minute walk to downtown, a 4 minute walk to the city park, and a 2km walk to your child's school?

I would say yes, but you need to define main road. Around here that's a 5-6 lane arterial carrying about 40-60k trips per day.

That's the type of thing I was imagining as well. When I go to the office, I pass these houses:

They're on a "main road" that's 3+ lanes in each direction, 50mph speed limit, and >40k AADT. No way would I live there.

These houses are on the "main road" headed into our downtown but for some reason I don't think of this as a main road in the same way.

@dandy_warhol - I'd probably say yes to the house in the situation you describe. It sounds closer to the 2nd link I posted.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Also like here in Rochester, MI (I drive this alot):

https://goo.gl/maps/pYzbGk2CyeW4QEvh8

I almost linked to a scene around that area instead of the Birmingham one. Here's a "main road" scene from the other side of Rochester, MI that's about the same distance from downtown as the one you posted and a similar amount of traffic, but something about the scale here just doesn't seem as inviting.

I'd consider living along the stretch in Rochester that you posted, but not along the stretch I posted. FWIW, the area in the link I just posted has lower traffic counts than the one you posted.

I had let my hair grow out and had a decent ponytail length (like WSU). It's now been wacked off & back to normal (whatever that is).

I went to my tailor Tuesday because I've run out of pants that fit and had to get some new purchases hemmed. I used to pop into his shop every couple of weeks regardless of if I was having any work done or not but haven't been in there in about a year now. He and his wife didn't recognize me at first because of my long hair (and they could only see a few inches of my face). I was telling them that I'm finally getting anxious to get it cut again (2 more weeks!) and they both told me they like my hair long so of course I had to tell my wife she's been outvoted now so I'll definitely be keeping it long into year 2 (I'm still getting it trimmed and cleaned up though sometime after the 1 year mark on March 10th).

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Fitting the classic - "hell has no fury like a woman scorned"

A Man Called His Ex A 'Moron' By Text While Storming The Capitol. She Turned Him In​

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That's known as "mise en place". How very French of you.

I prepare things that way, too.

I don’t have a dishwasher, so big cooking days can be pretty messy. I can't wash dishes in stages when I'm working at the stove.
I do that to an extent, but I also like to plan appropriately to dirty the minimum number of bowls, pans and utensils.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Interesting article on the ICC and adoption of environmental regs.
Interesting, but also much ado about nothing, because the ICC creating model codes in no way mandates adherence to the exact letter by a government wishing to adopt it all or in portions.

ICC is not the Federal US gov, a State gov or a county/local gov. I buy your model codes and then I get to do as I please with them when actually adopting them.

Unless the ICC wanted to take the next step of trying to copyright the model codes that then prevent change by govs. But I'd like to see them try that.

These kind of battles are so silly and easily ended if people knew or spoke up about the actual mechanics of model codes and how they become actual law(s).

Im-Just-A-Bill-Schoolhouse-Rock-1975-3-1-750x509.jpg

Last edited:
There's no thread for Sad News About Pets (or dog-walkers), so I'll just put this here.

New surveillance video shows the horrific attack on Lady Gaga's dog walker

michaelskis

Cyburbian
A week ago, I went Carnivore/Keto, gave up everything but water, picked up running early in the morning again, and implemented several things that I learned from the book The 5AM Club (Minus some of the weird things at the end...)

What I thought was ADD earlier this week was just the ketones fueling my brain instead of glucose and the mitochondria have been running on overdrive. For the past two days my productivity has been through the roof and I have felt absolutely amazing. I now have a clear head, tons of energy, and a renewed excitement about all the different parts of my life.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The 2lb bag of mini cereal marshmallows I bought earlier this week was probably one of my better purchases over the past few years.
You better keeping running everyday (like a m-fer) for the rest of your adult life with that sweet tooth of yours.

;)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A week ago, I went Carnivore/Keto, gave up everything but water, picked up running early in the morning again, and implemented several things that I learned from the book The 5AM Club (Minus some of the weird things at the end...)

What I thought was ADD earlier this week was just the ketones fueling my brain instead of glucose and the mitochondria have been running on overdrive. For the past two days my productivity has been through the roof and I have felt absolutely amazing. I now have a clear head, tons of energy, and a renewed excitement about all the different parts of my life.

I'm not on a carnivore or keto type diet but these days my diet is much healthier than it was a year ago. I've also upped the amount I run back to mileage I haven't done in a decade+ (and I'm doing it at a much better pace). I get that ADD feeling on days that I don't get a long enough run in the morning or where I skip my run altogether. It usually hits me around mid-afternoon and I start getting antsy. My wife can usually see it coming on and knows that means I'm going to try to slip out of the house for a bit for an extra run.

You better keeping running everyday (like a m-fer) for the rest of your adult life with that sweet tooth of yours.

;)

Not going in to work everyday has caused me to cut waaaaaaaaaayyyyy back on my sugar and caffeine consumption. When I'm sitting idol at my desk, I'm so much more likely to snack on horrible options or drink a bunch of empty, sugary, calories.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Depression and anxiety are really getting to me today. I think ill make some frozen chicken fingers to cope. Id smoke a cigar to relax if it wasn't 10 degrees outside.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Join the USGS National Map Corps

Since several of you are very adept at mapping you might like the challenge & reward.

Current Map Challenges
Schools in CA & NV
City / Town Halls in NC
Fire Stations in AR

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Mobile home parks, used car lots, and internet sweepstakes are a few of my favorite things... cue Julie Andrews.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Hubby's back from a loooooong dentist appt to fix his cracked tooth. He "doesn't want to talk about it" and is cranky.

I'm betting they made him wait in the chair, then drilled a lot, maybe without enough pain meds, then fiddled with whatever, and had to drill some more.

This is not the first time, so I should have been prepared for the crankiness.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I do that to an extent, but I also like to plan appropriately to dirty the minimum number of bowls, pans and utensils.
Tonight, for instance: I made a fish fry. I melted the butter for the cornbread in a big mixing bowl, then mixed the cornbread in that bowl, then once it was in the oven I rinsed it out quickly and filled it with cold water to soak the fish in before breading it.

Also, I've been a short order cook, so once I start cooking a familiar meal, the order of things comes pretty naturally. Cooking is one of the few things I multi-task.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Whoo HOOO! It is 5PM in the East!
I RJ every Friday; I work a 4x10 schedule.

That doesn't mean I didn't work though. About a year ago, a large branch broke off a tree that straddles my and my neighbor's yard. I steadfastly ignored it, as did the neighbor. It was held up by a heavy growth of climbing vines. The cold weather must have messed the vines' structural integrity up because if finally fell.... in my neighbor's yard. The wife came over and mentioned the "my tree" had fallen in "their yard" and could I help Leo cut it up? (She was a way of saying things in exactly the wrong way, even though she's basically a nice person.) So I called my Buddy With A Chainsaw Who Likes Getting Free Wood For His Fire Pit and he and I tackled the job this morning (while Leo watched, which fine because he's nearly 80 and has numerous health problems and I was okay with him just watching). I have a small pole chainsaw but we really needed the big gun my friend brought.

After dealing with that, I used my pole saw to trim some branches on the trees in my yard. I've been meaning to do that for awhile and it seemed like a good opportunity since I already had it out. So that was pretty much my morning.

Afternoon was my biweekly shopping excursion. Since the pandemic I shop only ever other week. I will probably continue that even when limiting contact with people isn't my motivation. So after a trip to Pet Supplies Plus, Panther City BBQ (for lunch), HopFusion Aleworks, Costco, Sprouts and Albertson's, I brought the groceries home, walked the dogs for two miles, then cooked the previously mentioned fish fry. I've cleaned the dishes, now I'm enjoying a G Man Vienna Lager from Hopfusion. My work day is done.