• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Ordering Chicago style pizza from a local joint in Southern Indiana. We’ll let you know how it goes:grimace:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I prefer my note pads to have the band at the top. If it just is paper all the way up I seem to find a way to tear it off all the time. I also prefer the Office Depot pads... not sure why on that one though.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm betting not well. I still prefer deep dish over pizza on a cracker.
A pizza shop around here makes a sweet, crust that's similar in texture to pie crust. I really like it, but don't want to have it more than once or twice a year. I like their pepperoni pizza and the sweet salty flavor contrast.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you coffee drinkers just not live within walking distance of a Starbucks? Do you really hate America that much?

ah, you are dating yourself - remember when, in the 90's, we all thought your downtown had "arrived" when a Starbucks located there

now it's independently owned an operated coffee shops with locally roasted beans from a grower that pays fair wages and uses responsible harvesting practices is a thing

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ordering Chicago style pizza from a local joint in Southern Indiana. We’ll let you know how it goes:grimace:
That's kinda scary. I suppose it could be worse, though. You could have written "ordering Chicago style pizza from Oregon" and that would have potential for Steven King level scary.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This is definitely a Captain Beefheart kinda day.

1617368408398.png

Did you know Frank Zappa produced the album?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I prefer my note pads to have the band at the top. If it just is paper all the way up I seem to find a way to tear it off all the time. I also prefer the Office Depot pads... not sure why on that one though.
I'm with you 100%. Eff those 'accordion-style' post-it notes.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't tear very well so I like the tear right at the top because I seem to be able to do that properly

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

When you say, "...pizza on a cracker" are you referring to St. Louis style pizza? I didn't know that was a thing until I went there for a conference a couple years ago. Cool city, horrible local pizza.

ah, you are dating yourself - remember when, in the 90's, we all thought your downtown had "arrived" when a Starbucks located there

now it's independently owned an operated coffee shops with locally roasted beans from a grower that pays fair wages and uses responsible harvesting practices is a thing

We've got a couple places in our downtown like you describe. The best one is very good but about 2x the price for a similar drink at the Starbucks a block away from it. We've also got options for a Swedish-style coffee and bake shop and an Iraqi-style coffee shop. The Swedish place has great baked goods but the coffee isn't anything special. The Iraqi place just opened up a few months ago. I have yet to check it out but I've heard it's very good. I went for a walk into town to get something from the Starbucks Reserve this morning but as I type this I wish I would have tried the Iraqi place.

Planit

Cyburbian
Wednesday night, I took my mom to her friends house for dinner. As a surprise for her, there were 3 other couples (all her friends there) for a dinner party. It was the first time the whole group has gathered since early last year and the first time some have seen mom since her hospital stay. It was great for all of them.

The was wild hearing a bunch of 80+ year olds just gabbing away, boasting about the vaccines and body aches.

On the topic of the diplomas, they are lacquered on high quality wood. They will be going in the archive box we have in the basement.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday night, I took my mom to her friends house for dinner. As a surprise for her, there were 3 other couples (all her friends there) for a dinner party. It was the first time the whole group has gathered since early last year and the first time some have seen mom since her hospital stay. It was great for all of them.

The was wild hearing a bunch of 80+ year olds just gabbing away, boasting about the vaccines and body aches.

I love this post so much

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
So, it was actually pretty good. The pizza was pretty meaty with lots of mozzarella but I thought they kind of drowned it in sauce. I know that’s the style, but to me it was excessive. I’m born and raised New York style, so take that into account. I’m reserving judgment on their mozzarella, too: it had a very musty taste, which I kind of liked, but I’m still evaluating.

I will order from there again, but only when I really feel like changing it up from my preferred style.

Oregon? Yes that would have been scary indeed.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So, it was actually pretty good. The pizza was pretty meaty with lots of mozzarella but I thought they kind of drowned it in sauce. I know that’s the style, but to me it was excessive. I’m born and raised New York style, so take that into account. I’m reserving judgment on their mozzarella, too: it had a very musty taste, which I kind of liked, but I’m still evaluating.

I will order from there again, but only when I really feel like changing it up from my preferred style.

Oregon? Yes that would have been scary indeed.
I've had New York style pizza (pizza on a cracker) in NYC. Give me a Chicago style deep dish anytime. Giordano's is preferable, TYVM.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I had a Harris Pizza pepperoni and green pepper last night and it was all I could imagine.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Question for the Brain - what do you do with your dad’s diplomas and dental license?

I don’t want to throw them out. Don’t really display them. Brothers won‘t take them. UGH!
Start a genealogy box. You might not care to pull all the genealogy stuff together, but someone in your family will eventually and stuff like that would be greatly appreciated.

Planit

Cyburbian
Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Have you ever had Buffalo style? Toppings kind of like NYC style, although with cup & char pepperoni, and a more substantial yeasty bready dough crust than NYC's paper thin crap.

I think it was our Fearless Leader here who recommended Bocce Club in Buffalo so I checked them out on a trip out there a few years ago and was very pleased. Buffalo seems like a good halfway-point between Detroit and New York, both geographically and pizza-related.

Re Chicago-style: It's good but I can never have more than a slice or two.

FWIW, we made homemade pizza this weekend in the cast iron skillets and they turned out good, but very thick and very deep. Had I layered it with the cheese under the sauce, it would have been a pretty good effort at homemade Chicago-style.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Have you ever had Buffalo style? Toppings kind of like NYC style, although with cup & char pepperoni, and a more substantial yeasty bready dough crust than NYC's paper thin crap.
Julie's in downtown Springville, NY - quite possibly the best pizza I've ever had.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

On the one hand, it sounds cool. On the other....the guy posting is from the UK! Something tells me he's never been on 8 mile Road

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Somewhere along the line I became a small town person. Its not really that I changed political beliefs, its that I have somehow gotten used to and am more comfortable working and living in a small town. Of course, one that has large urban amenities within a half hour drive is preferable. I am moving here at the end of the month and my office, the grocery store, the post office, an ATM and a cafe are all within 3-4 blocks.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
equal to Hawkeye66 -

from my office
1 block is Library Central Branch, Credit Union, Post Office
2 blocks from eye doctor
7 blocks from riverfront greenway

TOFB

Cyburbian
Somewhere along the line I became a small town person. Its not really that I changed political beliefs, its that I have somehow gotten used to and am more comfortable working and living in a small town. Of course, one that has large urban amenities within a half hour drive is preferable. I am moving here at the end of the month and my office, the grocery store, the post office, an ATM and a cafe are all within 3-4 blocks.
I recall this hole in the wall having great food and cold beer. Oh, and next door to City Hall? What a shame.
Capture.JPG

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I haven't had a club sandwich since.....months before covid hit. I wish I had one now. With fries. And maybe a 22 oz. draft Olde Style

DVD

Cyburbian
Sadly in Soviet Arizona we count blocks by the mile. So Wally-mart is 1 block and so is the grocery store, school, library and more. Sadly work is about 15 blocks.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1 block from my office gets me to a Popeye's Chicken and two different kidney dialysis clinics.
No Popeye's nearby. No Chick-Fil-A nearby, No Raising Cane's anywhere in New York state, period. We don't even have a KFC in town.

One block from my office gets me to a Starbucks, a Jimmy John's, and a bunch of upscale independent restaurants where a quick, cheap lunch is out of the question.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
How difficult on a scale of 1-10 do you think putting a roundabout will be in small town Ohio? Hmm. I am still going to suggest it...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
How difficult on a scale of 1-10 do you think putting a roundabout will be in small town Ohio? Hmm. I am still going to suggest it...
Ask the State DOT. We have two going in right now. One at two separate major intersections in the urbanized areas of adjacent townships.

The mechanics of it are pretty simple. Getting the general public to not lose their mind is the hard(est) part.

Good luck. :daydream:

Last edited: