• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Meh, you people and your round a bouts. Try explaining the diverging diamond to someone.
Or a Michigan Left-Turn.

No, no...you have to go through the intersection you want to turn left at, go about 500 feet past the intersection, take a left through the large median, merge into the formerly opposing traffic, get to the right as fast a possible and then turn right. Got it? It's pretty intuitive after you do it about a dozen times.

Or do the opposite of the above if there are four such lefts in your intersection.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Ask the State DOT. We have two going in right now. One at two separate major intersections in the urbanized areas of adjacent townships.

The mechanics of it are pretty simple. Getting the general public to not lose their mind is the hard(est) part.

Good luck. :daydream:
Before bike trails became desired neighborhood amenities, I had some fun refuting the fear and nonsense.
No one is going to pedal to your house and make off with your TV.
The parks agency can provide port-a-pots.
Kids can set up lemonade stands.

Round-a-bouts are great fun to pedal through, and save gas and time for drivers.
Sheesh.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Antarctica is home to 21,000,000 penguins.

Malta is home to 500,000 humans.

If the Antarctic penguins invaded Malta, each Maltese would have to fend off 42 penguins.

No small task.

I believe I read somewhere long ago that Malta (or maybe it's just the capital Valletta) has the highest rate of vehicle/pedestrian accidents in the world. Having been to Malta, I can attest to how dangerous it felt to cross any street. I have a feeling that penguin force would be obliterated about 10 minutes after showing up on the island and trying to get through any neighborhood.

Maybe Malta needs more roundabouts?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The guy I just saw leaving Planet Fitness had the HUGEST biceps. This guy had to be on 'roids. We're talking imbalanced proportions big time. He looked like Popeye (okay, Popeye was all about forearms, not biceps, but you get the idea). Do women generally find that attractive?
1617735408937.png

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

If the Antarctic penguins invaded Malta, each Maltese would have to fend off 42 penguins.

No small task.
Especially if they had M 16s and grenades. It would be a bloodbath in the making. Especially if Opus was leading them.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

No small task.
Malta first line of defense would be hungry pods of Orcas.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The pollen is here and it always amazes me how bad it can get. Driving down the highway with pines on both sides it looks like fog...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
SWAT in the hood! I was walking my dogs tonight. My plan was to walk all the way down our street to the other end (not quite a mile), and then come back. For some reason when we got up to the underpass under the freeway my dog pulled that way and I decided to follow her into the neighboring subdivision.

While I was out I saw two or three helicopters orbiting around the area. Didn't think much of it; figured it was an accident on the freeway.

Checked Nextdoor and found out the SWAT team was called for a house at the other end of my street, our original destination. I guess they served a warrant and the suspect fired shots and barricaded himself in. Glad I went the other way tonight.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
My fear of being sick and seasonal allergies are really getting me this week. As a fully vaccinated person for a month, I feel a bit better about everything, but this weird fear is probably not going to go away anytime soon, which kinda sucks.

On the good news side, I remembered that Dos Equis with Lime is a cheap alternative to my wine problem. ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
SWAT in the hood! I was walking my dogs tonight. My plan was to walk all the way down our street to the other end (not quite a mile), and then come back. For some reason when we got up to the underpass under the freeway my dog pulled that way and I decided to follow her into the neighboring subdivision.

While I was out I saw two or three helicopters orbiting around the area. Didn't think much of it; figured it was an accident on the freeway.

Checked Nextdoor and found out the SWAT team was called for a house at the other end of my street, our original destination. I guess they served a warrant and the suspect fired shots and barricaded himself in. Glad I went the other way tonight.
wow.:eek:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The pollen is here and it always amazes me how bad it can get. Driving down the highway with pines on both sides it looks like fog...
It's supposed to storm today so I'm hoping it knocks some of it down. Hopefully we are past everything that doesn't move gets covered in yellow. That is probably wishful thinking at best. The next up plague will be love bugs.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

It was a callback to me wondering if two week old clam chowder was still safe to eat a few months back. Spoiler: It was!

In other soup-related news: I found a recipe for some shrimp soup I really want to try. One of the steps is to saute the shrimp tails in olive oil and garlic as a base. I had never heard of that but it sounded interesting so I started saving the shrimp tails when I pull them off of shrimp for tacos I make (shrimp tacos have become one of my go-to lunches lately as I try to clean out the freezer) and sauteing them in the oil for a few minutes before removing them and putting the shrimp in. It does seem to make a bit of a difference!

One more soup-related item: This reminds me of this scene from Derry Girls where the kids are at a retreat with some Protestants and trying to come up with similarities among Catholics and Protestants. They don't have much luck with similarities but they do list off a ton of differences. One of my favorites was, "Catholics love Mary, Protestants love soup"

1617808360424.png

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Has anyone found in an ordinance in a subsection language that was written by what has been called the Department of Redundant Duplication ?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The jig is up.

Work from home is ending the week after next. Kind of. I work a 4-day work (10 hr per day) currently and did before the pandemic. I will return to the office but my boss said I can continue to work from home 2 days a week and only only have to go in 2 days a week.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The rain is coming today. On April 1 I ran in 24 degrees and snow, and yesterday I ran in 81 degrees and blistering heat. I love Ohio spring... ;)

---

We didn't get a big grant yesterday that we were planning on getting. I can't but think it is a good thing as it gives us an opportunity to rethink the plan, but it still sucks. "Free" government money is nice if you can get it...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Has anyone found in an ordinance in a subsection language that was written by what has been called the Department of Redundant Duplication ?
I’ve seen that language in hundreds (100s) of codes.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We have about five or six more days of The Pollening here in the ATL before we move into Actual Spring.
Spring and fall in Upstate New York has been more like a battle between summer and winter in recent years, than distinct seasons by themselves. April still sucks, but otherwise it seems like daily highs in spring are either overcast and below 50°F, or sunny and above 65°F. Sunny, cool football tossing days seem rare.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The jig is up.

Work from home is ending the week after next. Kind of. I work a 4-day work (10 hr per day) currently and did before the pandemic. I will return to the office but my boss said I can continue to work from home 2 days a week and only only have to go in 2 days a week.

I'm hoping when things settle here that that's the schedule they'll allow us to work if we want (though I'm no longer on a 4-40 so I'm hoping to maintain 2 days in the office and 3 days at home).

The rain is coming today. On April 1 I ran in 24 degrees and snow, and yesterday I ran in 81 degrees and blistering heat. I love Ohio spring... ;)

Yesterday morning it was 61º degrees when I went running... at 5:10 a.m. It was 19º on my morning run on the 1st. I generally don't mind running in hot weather (and 61º is by no means "hot") but after months and months of colder weather, my body was definitely not acclimated and ready for yesterday's run. I was a sweaty mess at the end.

FWIW, one of my favorite times of year to run is on those early mornings at the end of May and early June when the humidity starts to hit here and the mornings suddenly get muggy and sticky. I love the smell of those late spring mornings and running through some of the neighborhoods with little lakes in them and seeing the condensation rising from the lake surfaces.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Starbucks by my house was out of cold brew this morning so I had to stop at a different one along my route to the office. This Starbucks just doesn't make the cold brew as well as the one by my house.

#FirstWorlProblems

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So my live oak is finally starting to bud again after the Texas Freeze. I was a bit worried it wouldn't.

For those unfamiliar with live oaks, they are a variety of essentially evergreen oak. They shed their leaves a couple times a year, but not all of them; they are always green.

But when we had the freeze in February, the huge live oak in my front yard lost all its leaves. The local arborists said the live oaks would be fine but even as other live oaks started to bud, mine remained inert... until a couple of days ago. It's finally waking up. It seems like the biggest live oaks are the slowest to rejuvenate.