• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads

Big Owl

Cyburbian
So my live oak is finally starting to bud again after the Texas Freeze. I was a bit worried it wouldn't.

For those unfamiliar with live oaks, they are a variety of essentially evergreen oak. They shed their leaves a couple times a year, but not all of them; they are always green.

But when we had the freeze in February, the huge live oak in my front yard lost all its leaves. The local arborists said the live oaks would be fine but even as other live oaks started to bud, mine remained inert... until a couple of days ago. It's finally waking up. It seems like the biggest live oaks are the slowest to rejuvenate.
If it did not have buds; would it be a oak, dead oak, or dead live oak.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I typically decline Zoom meeting invites unless absolutely necessary. I find most are not. Usually you can accomplish the same thing in a detailed email or phone call. That way I don't have to see people's kids, pets, the mess of their house, their robes etc.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Jazz bagpipes?

You HAVE TO listen to this. Feel free to skip over the first minute while she staggers around stage like she's drunk, and start watching right around 1:06

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I typically decline Zoom meeting invites unless absolutely necessary. I find most are not. Usually you can accomplish the same thing in a detailed email or phone call. That way I don't have to see people's kids, pets, the mess of their house, their robes etc.
I treat a request for a Zoom meeting the same as a request for an in person meeting- so if there's more than one other person involved and we think we might need to screen-share, then fine- we are replacing a meeting. Otherwise one-on-one can be phone calls or emails.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Well to be fair we've never closed. We had some downtime not being open to the public but that ended a while ago. We took precautions but things have been fairly normal here for months. We have most folks come in for meetings who want to and it's been fine. We video call if necessary.

Once concession that I did like was moving our senior staff meeting to the council chambers. Plenty of space to be able to distance there. Before the pandemic it was 11 people shoulder to shoulder at a conference table. It was tight.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Once concession that I did like was moving our senior staff meeting to the council chambers. Plenty of space to be able to distance there. Before the pandemic it was 11 people shoulder to shoulder at a conference table. It was tight.
We did the same, but into our medium size conference/meeting room that gives us much more space.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
we’ve been zooming public meetings. It’s been... entertaining
Well hello there stranger. Glad to see you. Hope you are well!

---

I am listening to red hot chili peppers this morning, and I am going to end up jumping around my office by the time anyone else gets in.

"CAUSE I DON'T EVER WANNA FEEL, LIKE I DID THAT DAY...."

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Lying here in the darkness
You hear the sirens wail
Somebody going to emergency
Somebody's going to jail
You find somebody to love in this world
You better hang on tooth and nail
Wolf is always at the door

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I will likely be thinking big planning thoughts today...much like everyday, suckas!

TOFB

Cyburbian
I got to the files of our notorious sex offender neighborhood planner, who remains in prison. No takers to purge them so we pitched the entire lot.

Can't get this out of my mind today; don't know why.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I got to the files of our notorious sex offender neighborhood planner, who remains in prison.
Wait.

What!?

giphy.gif

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I just returned from a site visit with a group of people who built a tractor pull venue without permits. At the end of visit, a guy wearing bib overalls told me that he appreciated my honesty and transparency; and he followed it up with that is how he likes to treat people. Did I mention "without permits" and this is the 4th time we caught them doing work without permits.

Planit

Cyburbian
I just realize - for some reason - that of the 4 major sports, only 2 places hold the champions.

Tampa
NFL - Buccaneers
NHL - Lightning

Los Angeles
NBA - Lakers
MLB - Dodgers

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I just returned from a site visit with a group of people who built a tractor pull venue without permits. At the end of visit, a guy wearing bib overalls told me that he appreciated my honesty and transparency; and he followed it up with that is how he likes to treat people. Did I mention "without permits" and this is the 4th time we caught them doing work without permits.
meme_guy-overalls-1.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Ranking the Ghostbusters Mini-Puft Toys From Least Distressing to Infinitely Disturbing​

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I've had a nice big office for the past few years, but I had to move out of it today because (1) we're undergoing a partial office reorganization and (2) I'm pretty much WFH now. Now (1) I don't have an office space at all and (2) I'm really missing everyone. It felt like I was cleaning out my office to leave the agency, which I logically know I'm not, but that's how it felt. Looking forward to start seeing co-workers in person this summer.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I worked over the weekend. I am not a fan of that, but I am also out for the next 4 days... so I guess that is a trade off.

Speaking of, I will be gone for the next 4 days. See you all on next Monday (well after today at least....).

Planit

Cyburbian
I worked over the weekend. I am not a fan of that, but I am also out for the next 4 days... so I guess that is a trade off.

Speaking of, I will be gone for the next 4 days. See you all on next Monday (well after today at least....).

Okay then, go have fun without us.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I can't remember the last weekend when I did not spend any time working.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just realize - for some reason - that of the 4 major sports, only 2 places hold the champions.

Tampa
NFL - Buccaneers
NHL - Lightning

Los Angeles
NBA - Lakers
MLB - Dodgers

Had the Devil Rays beaten the Dodgers last fall, Tampa would have three of the four championships!

The Tampa Bay area doesn't have a basketball team, but had the Heat beaten the Lakers in the NBA finals, the state of Florida could have had all 4 championships!

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Got my zillow home update today.. my home broke the $1 million plus mark for home valuation. I don't know how accurate that thing is, but eff balls.. that's insane.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Got my zillow home update today.. my home broke the $1 million plus mark for home valuation. I don't know how accurate that thing is, but eff balls.. that's insane.
arc...making it rain....

:)

estromberg

Cyburbian

On the one hand, it sounds cool. On the other....the guy posting is from the UK! Something tells me he's never been on 8 mile Road
We've had the Detroit Style from Motor City Pizza at Costco. It's pretty good for a frozen pizza