• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Future Mrs arcplans and I decided to honeymoon in curacao. Off the beaten path for the Caribbean, but hey planning a honeymoon during a pandemic has been a very interesting task, considering it is a December vacation.

You'll have to give us a full report on the island when you return!

I was in grad school at the time of my wedding and we went to St. Lucia and Martinique for our honeymoon but one of my professors lobbied hard to try to get us to go to Curacao instead. Like MD Planner, I've heard a lot of good things about it so my wife and I have decided that if we ever make it back to that part of the world, that would probably be our destination.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Meconium is a different beast entirely and I wouldn't be surprised if it would be considered a biohazard on a different scale than those other fluids.

Our oldest was born while the Deepwater Horizon oil spill was going on and I remember changing that first diaper in the hospital and my stomach being turned immediately upon inspection. In my mind it was seriously a cross between the sludge that was pumping out from beneath the Gulf of Mexico and something that Morgoth conjured up in the bowels of Thangorodrim.

I grew up on a farm and dealt with plenty of animals and their various fluids. Meconium is definitely on a different level of disgustingness.
So some mommies decide to use drugs and alcohol during pregnancy. When the baby of one of these mommies end up in a NICU certain tests need to be conducted. These tests for grown-ups involve peeing into a cup.

Not so for babies. The lucky NICu nurses get to scoop the meconium from the dirty diapers and collect it in a container. This may take a few diapers to collect enough. My scraping tool of choice is a plastic spoon. Some nurses prefer wooden tongue depressors.

We also get to squeeze baby urine out of cotton balls and collect that too!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
In the interests of maintaining robust RTDNTOTO numbers, I will refrain from doing a "gross things cleaned from cars" split. Carry on.
Did I ever talk about the time in 2000 when I first bought Bailey home from her breeder? Here she is,, in my car, at the start of our ride home.

2000-xx-xx Bailey coming home - Denver.jpg

About 30 minutes later, two blocks away from my house, that little white ball of fluff literally assploded all over the passenger seat.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Just an update on my charley horse from yesterday. I still know that it happened.

It snowed here last night. 2 inches. Of snow. On April 20/21.

That is terrible. Ugh.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
One of the people along a proposed greenway said in a public meeting - "you don't want to build a greenway here, there are coyotes around and they come out at night and will attack."

My response was "yes, but the greenway closes at dark, just like several of our parks."
Although anything's possible as proven by the occasional viral video, coyotes are pretty reclusive and mostly eat small rodents.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I want to make a joke about a coatimunicolors but I only have the punchline so far...
What did Jacob give to Joseph that caused so much discontent among his brothers?

Okay, so Biblical humor rarely results in knee-slappers.

Bigger question: what humor can be found in the Bible, or any other Holy book for that matter?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yeah, the subject of how people deal with religion is ripe for jokes, but the actual writings themselves? Not so much
Doohickie said:
I checked Wikipedia for the subject Humor in the Bible and tbh the passages cited were not very funny at all. I was kind of disappointed.
The only half-way decent Biblical 'joke' I found on my brief search was:
The Bible said:
Lord will give you meat, and you shall eat. You shall not eat one day, or two days, or five days, or ten days, or twenty days, but a whole month, until it comes out at your nostrils” (Numbers 11:19-20)
Get it? Food coming out of your nostrils! haw haw [slaps knee]

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I checked Wikipedia for the subject Humor in the Bible and tbh the passages cited were not very funny at all. I was kind of disappointed.

There's some humor hidden in the Talmud (Jewish interpretation of Biblical law). A few exampes I found online:

Man to wife, "I vow that I will not have sex with you until you show me something beautiful about you."
Man went to see Rabbi Yishmael son of Rabbi Jose to get out of vow. The rabbi said:
  • Perhaps her head is beautiful?
  • It is round.
  • Perhaps her hair is beautiful?
  • It is like stalks of flax.
  • Perhaps her eyes are beautiful?
  • They are bleary.
  • Perhaps her nose is beautiful?
  • It is swollen.
  • Perhaps her lips are beautiful?
  • They are thick.
  • Perhaps her neck is beautiful?
  • It is squat.
  • Perhaps her waist is beautiful?
  • It protrudes.
  • Perhaps her feet are beautiful?
  • They are as broad as those of a duck.
  • Perhaps her name is beautiful?
  • Her name is "Muck".
The rabbi said: "Then I pronounce your vow fulfilled. Her name suits her beautifully." — Nedarim 66b

I love Mormon humor.

Doth a man take an ass which belongeth to his neighbor? I say unto you, Nay. — Mosiah 5:14.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Seriously? I think the GFM is dumb, but if they want to use a professional cleaning service, so be it. Their car, their mess, their choice.

I'd hire a service, too. A good one knows how to clean a car without oversaturating or oversoaping. Having a new baby in the
house is tiring enough without having older children. If they'll accept casseroles from well-wishing people, why not accept help with cleaning the car?
They aren't raising funds to cover the cost of getting the car cleaned.
The GFM is intended to buy them a new used car.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Dandy, before you head overseas, I just wanted to encourage you to check back here on Cyburbia from time to time (or better yet, regularly). This place can function as a tangible tie to 'home' for you while you're having adventures in foreign lands.
🥰🥰🥰 You can't get rid of me that easily! Where else am I going to vent about my chafing drindl, dry currywurst, and mountaineering adventures?

MLS = America's Super League

I'm enjoying reading about the ESL fallout and their casualties.
Today on tv they aired a women's Super League game, billed as such.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Just an update on my charley horse from yesterday. I still know that it happened.

It snowed here last night. 2 inches. Of snow. On April 20/21.

That is terrible. Ugh.
I've seen pics on FB from Ohio friends/family . . . it looks pretty except for the strangeness of it. Climate change!

Got my first vaccine today and I'm wondering if me wondering if I'll feel crappy tomorrow will make me feel crappy tomorrow.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
So i think my neighbor is doing a rather large garage conversion. Now aside that I think for the most part, permits are a money grab for muni's because they never equate the time spent (especially here in cali), I don't think my neighbor got a permit. I am on good terms with her, but still, I plunked down 5K for my permit and she is doing a significant amount of work that will eventually bite her in the arse when she goes to sell. Don't know if I should just let it go or turn her in to code enforcement to get a permit.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I saw this on social media this morning and thought wow, how true is that.

Then someone posted that they show up because they are the ringmaster...

Attachments

• 48CC6C16-E9DE-4357-BFA9-78F7E45FDFEB.jpeg
    48CC6C16-E9DE-4357-BFA9-78F7E45FDFEB.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 3

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
So i think my neighbor is doing a rather large garage conversion. Now aside that I think for the most part, permits are a money grab for muni's because they never equate the time spent (especially here in cali), I don't think my neighbor got a permit. I am on good terms with her, but still, I plunked down 5K for my permit and she is doing a significant amount of work that will eventually bite her in the arse when she goes to sell. Don't know if I should just let it go or turn her in to code enforcement to get a permit.
Mind ya' bidness.

MD Planner

Cyburbian

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 5K permit part of your post.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The county has about 600 summer positions that we're looking to fill. Most are part time (20 -30 hour a week) jobs in Parks and Rec but also some in Facilities and some office jobs and some of the positions allow up to 1,000 hours before the end of the fiscal year.

At this point in the year HR would normally have filled about 80% of them. So far they've filled 85 jobs and have basically run out of qualified applicants.

arcplans

Mind ya' bidness.
I think that's where I am gonna leave it.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 5K permit part of your post.
Yea.. that's the cost of doing business in this state, and I didn't include the school fees. All in total, it was about $7,700 for permits and school fees to add a granny unit and 98 sf addition. Based on my billing rate (and it is on the high end), there is no way that a city staff member spent 35 plus hours when state law requires it to just be cost recovery only.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I plunked down 5K for my permit and she is doing a significant amount of work that will eventually bite her in the arse when she goes to sell.
Why?

One house we looked at when we bought in 2018 had a whole bathroom added, none of the work to code. We backed out of the deal, but eventually the house sold.... and then sold again to, as it turns out, someone I know from a local planning forum. He was aware of the issue and had the seller re-roof the addition (it was a flat roof added onto a hip roof... the person who put it on just ran the shingles onto the flat portion and didn't properly flash around the vent).

But the city didn't care about any of that.

arcplans

Why?

One house we looked at when we bought in 2018 had a whole bathroom added, none of the work to code. We backed out of the deal, but eventually the house sold.... and then sold again to, as it turns out, someone I know from a local planning forum. He was aware of the issue and had the seller re-roof the addition (it was a flat roof added onto a hip roof... the person who put it on just ran the shingles onto the flat portion and didn't properly flash around the vent).

But the city didn't care about any of that.
Key is it won't appraise for what the seller will probably ask for, that's the bite in the arse part.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Yea.. that's the cost of doing business in this state, and I didn't include the school fees. All in total, it was about $7,700 for permits and school fees to add a granny unit and 98 sf addition. Based on my billing rate (and it is on the high end), there is no way that a city staff member spent 35 plus hours when state law requires it to just be cost recovery only.
That makes sense. I know we talk to business and industry leader type folks literally every week who are looking to relocate here and "get the hell out of California". I mean we hear it a LOT. And I'm on the complete opposite coast. I'm all for things paying their own way but when you're basically extorting money because you can eventually you're going to get pushback. And it will probably only get worse for businesses who can't relocate for logistical and locational reasons.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Have not been around in a few years, not sure what made me log in today, but hello to all the people I know here, looks like many of the same old gang are still around. can't believe I remembered my passwords.
Woohoo! Welcome back! :)

arcplans

That makes sense. I know we talk to business and industry leader type folks literally every week who are looking to relocate here and "get the hell out of California". I mean we hear it a LOT. And I'm on the complete opposite coast. I'm all for things paying their own way but when you're basically extorting money because you can eventually you're going to get pushback. And it will probably only get worse for businesses who can't relocate for logistical and locational reasons.
Legit. Without the ability to raise property taxes, it really leaves cities no choice but to increase fees. This state has really become the haves and have nots and sadly without a massive tax overhaul, redistricting, and other things, getting this state from the the far left to the center is a tough cause. Personally, I don't see myself leaving anytime soon, but maybe in retirement going to another country and renting out our place.