• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I forgot.
Go Bills.

go_bills.jpg

Last edited:

Old Planner

Cyburbian
Greetings from Fort Worth, Texas
Decades ago, I was stationed at Ft. Hood. It was bitterly cold in my second winter there. When I looked out at the sentry that was guarding the WAC barracks, the poor guy had 3/4 inch of snow topping his helmet. It was an odd sight in Texas.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I watched a bit of an episode of Land Man Standing last night and Tim Allen's old character Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor made an appearance. I had never seen this new show before, but it seems to me that the set up a re-boot of Home Improvement for sometime in the future. I looked it up and apparently this is the last season of Last Man Standing, so I wonder if this is his next project.

I loved that show when I was younger being that it was set to take place in Detroit and he would wear sweatshirts of all the different colleges in Michigan on the show.

I loved that show too, but "you can't go home again." I think there's too much water under the bridge with respect to Tim Allen to return to those more innocent times.

I loved Home Improvement too and was watching some reruns of it a few years ago and was glad to see it actually holds up pretty well. I remember looking up some stuff about the cast and it sounds like they all hated each other by the end of series so I'm not holding my breath for a reboot but maybe they can get themselves together for a short run of new episodes.

FWIW, Tim Allen's mom lives a couple houses down from us and goes to our church. In non-pandemic times we'd see Tim Allen at church for Christmas Eve and around other holidays if he was home to visit. My wife used to try to sneakily take photos of him at church in the pews ahead of us but stopped after I told her she was being too much of a weirdo.

Planit

Cyburbian
“As I walk through this wicked world
Searching for light in the darkness of insanity
I ask myself is all hope lost?
Is there only pain and hatred and misery?

And each time I feel like this inside
There's one thing I want to know
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
Oh, what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?”

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Greetings from Fort Worth, Texas

That's way more snow than we got. Here we could see it falling out of the sky, hit the ground, then melt. So basically, if you looked at the ground you would think it was raining, if you looked up it was snowing.

Either way, it was also cold.

DVD

Cyburbian
Similar to Hink, just do what I told you to do and your project will get done. Stop arguing. Although mine is not about painting.

DVD

Cyburbian
Overheard at the cigar shop this weekend.

Person 1: Hey, check out my new skull ring. (I should point out person 1 is your average dad bod kind of guy, not some biker)
Guy at counter: What are you 5?!?

No comment after that other than people laughing.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The esoteric can reveal universal truth.

Also...I wonder what it would be like to have Larry David as your dad?

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I typically always have a banana with my morning coffee everyday for breakfast.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Like LP, I take a banana with me to the office every morning. Right now since I'm working from home and we only go to the grocery store once a month or so, I don't have as many bananas. But I have had plenty of apples. They seem to last longer on the counter.

The history of bananas cultivation and their mass import into the U.S. and why they are so cheap is really pretty fascinating.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm not particularly fond of bananas. I tolerate them in food, but would never go out of my way to select one to eat.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Forgetting about local regulations I'd say it depends on the original lease. A lot of them wouldn't allow sub-letting and I'd assume this would be a lot like that.
Agreed. Plus, on practical note, if said residence is setup for keeping the two residencies quite separate, it could make it tolerable to do such.