RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
AIB news
do you just show up in the ER with 4 gun shot wounds ?
&
don't cooperate with Police about when and where you got shot ?
You would be surprised how often that happens. Usually if it is gang related no one talks. At all.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
meme_crimeboss-1.jpg

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Ok so? I get that but it's still a bad financial move. Many in the immigrant community also do susu instead of traditional banking/lending/borrowing but it doesn't mean it's the best way.

But hey, if someone wants to GIVE you that much cash, once you know it's legit by all means go for it. I would too. I'm just saying from a purchasing standpoint there are better ways to maximize your money.
The whole "bad financial move" point is a red herring. If someone is buying a car from me, as long as the money is there I don't really care if they're smart money managers or not.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Researching the installation of an in-ground pool is an adventure. The biggest shock is the the price in response to pandemic, the freeze in Texas this spring, and the demand. The pool side and features that we would like has gone up as much as 40% in the past 18 months.
I would imagine you are also in the queue waiting 6-9 months. We got a quote and they said 8 months, and we decided that wasn't something we wanted to put 60% down on and not get for 8 months. I will just wait with my money in my pocket thank you. ;)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The whole "bad financial move" point is a red herring. If someone is buying a car from me, as long as the money is there I don't really care if they're smart money managers or not.

I agree. I said as much. I had segued into a new sub-topic about buying a vehicle with cash.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I would imagine you are also in the queue waiting 6-9 months. We got a quote and they said 8 months, and we decided that wasn't something we wanted to put 60% down on and not get for 8 months. I will just wait with my money in my pocket thank you. ;)
Also:

...pools...amiright?

I would only ever consider a private pool (and it's attendant costs and headaches) if I could easily afford to build and maintain a cool indoor pool with slides and water features and grottos and....

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My grandfather had a pool at his house in Tucson. It had an inflatable cover so that he could swim in it year round. Then the local kids found that they could toss darts at the inflatable and deflate it. After a few cycles of grandpa repairing/hoodlums damaging the inflatable cover, grandpa gave up and only used the pool without the cover.

Personally, I see pools as way more work than they are worth and am happy not to ever have had to mess with one.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Oh good, it's not just here in the south. The soonest we could get an in-stock pool installed would be September, most of them are saying November.

We are looking to do the same thing for a fiberglass install. Based on what I can find, it appears that there are sales from November to March when the demand is the lowest, so I think we will just wait and sign on the dotted line at that time. Until then, I am going to research the hell out of every available so when it comes time to buy, I will know if I am getting a deal or not.

We are also thinking about breaking up the project as well. I am going to get quotes to have someone else do the concrete patio/decking, I am going to keep the dirt on site to do some regrading, and I am going to install the fence, landscaping, and sod when the project is done.

We have a neighborhood pool that we have access to, but the limitations and crowds limit the level of enjoyment and access. If we could get something in ground next spring, that would be perfect.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Personally, I see pools as way more work than they are worth and am happy not to ever have had to mess with one.
That's my opinion as well.

When I've looked at houses, I consider a pool as a negative, seldom a positive.

TOFB

Cyburbian
When we sell our house (maybe soon), the new owners can fill the pool if they want, or not. IDK.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
That's my opinion as well.

When I've looked at houses, I consider a pool as a negative, seldom a positive.
My wife has never allowed us to even consider one (due to the risk of drowning). Now that our children are old enough though, there are cracks in that defensive wall, and I am trying to break the damn wall before she changes her mind. Unfortunately the additional time will likely mean we just end up with a hot tub. Which is still 6 months out.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My wife has never allowed us to even consider one (due to the risk of drowning). Now that our children are old enough though, there are cracks in that defensive wall, and I am trying to break the damn wall before she changes her mind. Unfortunately the additional time will likely mean we just end up with a hot tub. Which is still 6 months out.
Garden hoses work well too. :p

It may be easier and faster to just dig a pond on your property.

dw914er

Cyburbian
We're under construction for a pool - the pool has been gunited and waiting for tile and coping. My wife and I both grew up with pools, and with the hot southern California summers (and spring and fall), we're able to get pretty good use out of it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We're under construction for a pool - the pool has been gunited and waiting for tile and coping. My wife and I both grew up with pools, and with the hot southern California summers (and spring and fall), we're able to get pretty good use out of it.
Totally. Makes sense in 'hell on earth' locations (see also: Phoenix Metro), but I grewup on the 45th parallel in northern lower MI right on Lake Huron and still live in the southern Great Lakes region, so private outdoor pools seem silly to me.

Also, it's topping out at 60F today where I am. :daydream:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'd love to put a pool in our backyard but my wife has no desire to spend that money for something we'd only use 4 or 5 months out of the year, especially when we have access to a nice wide sandy beach on Lake Huron.

I've come to accept that the only way I'll probably ever get a pool would be to move to a house that already has one... so I've been sending my wife random listings for houses in the area with pools. I'm starting with this house and then working my way down, price wise so that something in the $700k~ range doesn't seem so crazy:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
does this line in state law qualify for "well duh"

The utility may not locate a pole where it interferes with the ingress or egress from adjoining land.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Sometimes distant news has an emotional impact on people, even though it might not have any direct effect on anything in their lives. On Friday night a teenager in Michigan's Upper Peninsula wondered away from his home, without a jacket on. For me, it hits close to home because he is on the Autism Spectrum. To make this more difficult, he is also non-verbal, the weather has been harsh (snow and rain), and it is in the middle of the wilderness. WLUC TV out of Marquette MI has been doing updates, but at this point I fear that it will not be a good outcome.

This is one of my biggest fears, and while my son is verbal, he tends to wonder and he as gotten outside. So we have alarms on all the doors of the house that send a loud chime anytime the door opens and at night if the alarm gets turned off, my watch and phone alerts me and wakes me up.

kms

Cyburbian
Sometimes distant news has an emotional impact on people, even though it might not have any direct effect on anything in their lives. On Friday night a teenager in Michigan's Upper Peninsula wondered away from his home, without a jacket on. For me, it hits close to home because he is on the Autism Spectrum. To make this more difficult, he is also non-verbal, the weather has been harsh (snow and rain), and it is in the middle of the wilderness. WLUC TV out of Marquette MI has been doing updates, but at this point I fear that it will not be a good outcome.

This is one of my biggest fears, and while my son is verbal, he tends to wonder and he as gotten outside. So we have alarms on all the doors of the house that send a loud chime anytime the door opens and at night if the alarm gets turned off, my watch and phone alerts me and wakes me up.
The same thing happened here on Friday night. It was so heart warming to hear that the whole neighborhood chipped in to search for him and to keep all their outside lights on to help with the search. They found him around 10:00.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Totally. Makes sense in 'hell on earth' locations (see also: Phoenix Metro), but I grewup on the 45th parallel in northern lower MI right on Lake Huron and still live in the southern Great Lakes region, so private outdoor pools seem silly to me.

Also, it's topping out at 60F today where I am. :daydream:
I was surprised how many folks had pools when we lived in Grand Rapids (OK Wyoming), including us. My wife had a pool growing up so we knew what we were getting into. A lot fewer pools here, though.
Capture 2.JPG

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I understand why everyone must have meetings on Tuesday... I mean Monday is just not a good day. But has anyone every realized Tuesday isn't either?

Planit

Cyburbian
I understand why everyone must have meetings on Tuesday... I mean Monday is just not a good day. But has anyone every realized Tuesday isn't either?
Yes...and I have a Planning Commission meeting tonight with 2 public hearings!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ideally, meetings should be avoided on certain select days of the week. Only the ones ending in 'y'.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

Our CIty Council is Monday and I don't mind it as it gets it out of the way for the week.

Planning Board is off Tuesdays (mostly) from Council so I i only have one meeting a week as I delegated Historic Preservation

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Wednesday or Thursday are the ideal nights for a meeting, if you must have one. Monday's are too soon, and Tuesdays are too close to Monday's... ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Wednesday or Thursday are the ideal nights for a meeting, if you must have one. Monday's are too soon, and Tuesdays are too close to Monday's... ;)
Octember the First is the day on which all your most outlandish wishes come true. If March is too dusty and April too gusty, if May is too early and June is too soon, just try to remember the first of Octember, when whatever you are hoping to get will be yours!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Our CIty Council is Monday and I don't mind it as it gets it out of the way for the week.

Planning Board is off Tuesdays (mostly) from Council so I i only have one meeting a week as I delegated Historic Preservation

My last job was chock full of meetings. The council had a workshop EVERY Wednesday at 3pm and the regular public meeting the 1st and 3rd Thursday at 7pm. The Planning Commission had a workshop the 3rd Monday at 3pm the and their regular meeting the 2nd Monday at 6pm. The Historic Preservation Commission met the 2nd and 4th Thursday at 6pm. It is one of the largest historic districts in the country so those were typically lengthy meetings.

Obviously a lot of comp time was earned.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Here at the county, all of the Board of Commissioners committee meetings are during working hours, which is nice. The full board meetings are in the evening but thankfully, I very rarely have to deal with the full board (maybe 3x in my 14 years here?).

Our planners who work with the individual cities and townships commonly have to go to night meetings but their supervisor is very good at giving them comp time. I know there is some bargaining among the planners over who gets to work with which communities and the days and times of their regular meetings is heavily factored in.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have written 2 emails today to realtors listing property that hasn't received subdivision approval or is a lot that is not buildable - about to do another one!

wtf people!