RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I have been corresponding today with a banker that only has an address for a property (that he needs to make sure is secured, as, I guess, it is in foreclosure). He does not have the state mandated ID number, no plat number, no lot number, nor any other clues that might help me track it down, and he's insisting my office might not know about possible address changes some other office might have made affecting his property. (Uh, no. State law has vested us with addresses to the exclusion of all others.)

How does a lender have tens of thousands sunk in a property and only have the address? Inconceivable to me.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
8 Years.

That's how long I went without doing any of the "required" monthly IT security training modules before my bosses actually said something about it.

I know have about 90 5-15 minute training modules to do before the end of the quarter or else they'll revoke my login access or something.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
8 Years.

That's how long I went without doing any of the "required" monthly IT security training modules before my bosses actually said something about it.

I know have about 90 5-15 minute training modules to do before the end of the quarter or else they'll revoke my login access or something.

Haha. We have a similar thing here that comes out the first of the month. Most are pretty quick. On ours, for some inexplicable reason, you can adjust the speed to 1.5 or 2x speed. So come by my office on the 1st and you'll hear what sounds like a 45 record being played on 78 speed. But I save half the time! :cool:

The Terminator

Cyburbian
The county has about 600 summer positions that we're looking to fill. Most are part time (20 -30 hour a week) jobs in Parks and Rec but also some in Facilities and some office jobs and some of the positions allow up to 1,000 hours before the end of the fiscal year.

At this point in the year HR would normally have filled about 80% of them. So far they've filled 85 jobs and have basically run out of qualified applicants.
Id gladly live in SE Michigan for a summer! Especially if they needed people in Fleet Management/Motor Pool ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
learned a new madeup word -

Scarchitecture
is a combination of the word scar and architecture, which refers to the remnants of former roads and railways hidden in today's cities, most easily identified in satellite imagery, thanks to the magic of Google Maps.

from a FB posting by

Reactions: kms

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I learn something new everyday. Somedays I think, man I am getting smarter. Yesterday was clearly the opposite and I am certainly dumber for the knowledge that I "learned".

But it is hump day. Which isn't Tuesday, making it a fine day for a meeting, if anyone wanted to know.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I have written 2 emails today to realtors listing property that hasn't received subdivision approval or is a lot that is not buildable - about to do another one!

wtf people!
That's proactive! I've done it before but I've also let it ride before and then given pretty rude and unexpected answers to prospective buyers when they call- letting the system take care of itself.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Minor irritant: When someone IMs me through the company Skype with Can you IM? or Hello or whatever, and I respond in kind, and then they don't send anything further for minutes, sometimes hours. You've interrupted by other work, you've got my attention, now value my time. :cursing:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Or here's another one: An IM that says, "Can I send you an email?" :r:

I get that you want to make sure I address it promptly. So send it FIRST and then shoot me an IM to let me know it's time sensitive. But don't IM me before you've even composed the email.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Minor irritant: When someone IMs me through the company Skype with Can you IM? or Hello or whatever, and I respond in kind, and then they don't send anything further for minutes, sometimes hours. You've interrupted by other work, you've got my attention, now value my time. :cursing:
One of my direct reports has a tendency to IM me to ask if I'm available to talk, (I respond yes), followed immediately with a reply from him of "I'll call you in a couple of minutes." I've learned from experience with him that "a couple of minutes" really means an hour-and-a-half. Then again, he's been working remotely from the Bahamas since December - I guess he's working on "island time" now...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
legitimate_businessmans_social_club.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

In a similar vein, it irks me when I'm in a meeting or workshop or something and somebody gets a call on their cell phone and they answer without leaving the room but they answer only to say something along the lines of, "I'm in a meeting right now. Let me call you back." If you cannot talk, why the f*ck did you answer the phone in the first place!?! :mad:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In a similar vein, it irks me when I'm in a meeting or workshop or something and somebody gets a call on their cell phone and they answer without leaving the room but they answer only to say something along the lines of, "I'm in a meeting right now. Let me call you back." If you cannot talk, why the f*ck did you answer the phone in the first place!?! :mad:
Word. :explodinghead:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
So infrastructure remnants are now "architecture"?

Pass.
Abandoned railroad ROWs in my hometown are still mostly huge gashes in the landscape that haven't healed; not places where property lines have a bit of an odd alignment. Incredibly easy to find.

I have a thing for tracking down bits and pieces of grand but unfinished projects. For example, the unbuilt Gates Mills Boulevard rapid transit line outside of Cleveland. The loop at the end was supposed to be a turnaround and yard area. Same thing with Northfield Road, which was supposed to be the alignment of a planned extension of what's now called the Blue Line.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Abandoned railroad ROWs in my hometown are still mostly huge gashes in the landscape that haven't healed; not places where property lines have a bit of an odd alignment. Incredibly easy to find.

I have a thing for tracking down bits and pieces of grand but unfinished projects. For example, the unbuilt Gates Mills Boulevard rapid transit line outside of Cleveland. The loop at the end was supposed to be a turnaround and yard area. Same thing with Northfield Road, which was supposed to be the alignment of a planned extension of what's now called the Blue Line.
Identifying evidence of old railroad ROW's is prime forensic planning study material

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
A bit of family lore: my grandfather reportedly paid for a house in cash. The agreed upon purchase price at the time was $10,000. My grandfather went to some pains to go to a bank and obtained a $10,000 bill, which he handed to the surprised seller at the time of purchase.

View attachment 51273
Who can identify the guy appearing on the bill without googling it?
I like your grandfather.

Also, I want a $10,000 bill...
I'd love to put a pool in our backyard but my wife has no desire to spend that money for something we'd only use 4 or 5 months out of the year, especially when we have access to a nice wide sandy beach on Lake Huron.

I've come to accept that the only way I'll probably ever get a pool would be to move to a house that already has one... so I've been sending my wife random listings for houses in the area with pools. I'm starting with this house and then working my way down, price wise so that something in the $700k~ range doesn't seem so crazy:

Smart! This house also has an indoor basketball court, outdoor tennis court, and indoor and outdoor hot tubs in addition to the pool. You may decide you don't need all that. Start big and scale down in your negotiations.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It is ridiculous on how places try to scam you. For example, I went to get subway for lunch. I wanted a 6-inch with double meat. However I discovered that it was less expensive to buy a 12-inch. When I asked if there was twice as much meat on a 12-inch as there is on a 6-inch, they said yes. So I asked if I could get a 6-inch with double meat but pay the price of a 12-inch. To which they said no, they would charge me the double meat rate.

Years ago, I was in a Burger King, and I noted that it was less expensive to buy four 5-piece chicken tenders than it was to buy one 20-piece.

I also see this all the time in the store. When you look at price per volume, the higher volumes are not always the best deals.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Holy crow! MD Plan and I will end up falling down a rabbit hole rung to Teh Clubbbe at almost the same time!!
Just post nine more times in a row individually. Get it done. Like ripping off a bandage quickly. Go ahead. If you need nine reasons to post then answer the following questions:
1. Why are you afraid of being in teh Clubbbe?
2. Why can't you just be like everyone else and not make waves?
3. All the cool kids are in the Clubbbe...you want to be cool, don't you?
4. Here, smoke these cigarettes. That's what cool people do....you want to be cool don't you?
5. If a train leaves Chicago going to New York City travelling at 75 mph and a train leaving NYC heads to Chicago at the same time travelling 55 mph, at what point will they intersect?
6. What is your favorite color?
7. What is your Quest?
8. What is the average airspeed velocity of a swallow?
9. Would you like to be in Luxembourg now drinking beer? No? Well I sure would!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Just post nine more times in a row individually. Get it done. Like ripping off a bandage quickly. Go ahead. If you need nine reasons to post then answer the following questions:
1. Why are you afraid of being in teh Clubbbe?
2. Why can't you just be like everyone else and not make waves?
3. All the cool kids are in the Clubbbe...you want to be cool, don't you?
4. Here, smoke these cigarettes. That's what cool people do....you want to be cool don't you?
5. If a train leaves Chicago going to New York City travelling at 75 mph and a train leaving NYC heads to Chicago at the same time travelling 55 mph, at what point will they intersect?
6. What is your favorite color?
7. What is your Quest?
8. What is the average airspeed velocity of a swallow?
9. Would you like to be in Luxembourg now drinking beer? No? Well I sure would!
But span the posts in at least 2 minute intervals between each posts, so that post merging isn't required. :cool:

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
But span the posting out with at least 2 minute intervals between posts, so that post merging doesn't occur. :cool:
If it's less than 2 minutes you better be ready to get your mod-fu on big time. I dare you...I double dog dare you to merge them.

1619634202010.png

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
If it's less than 2 minutes you better be ready to get your mod-fu on big time. I dare you...I double dog dare you to merge them.

View attachment 51304
I've had you're pebble for fifteen minutes already, sensei.

I've had you're pebble for fifteen minutes already, sensei.
Also, I can reach back in time to post merge. I am strong with the mod-fu.
Moderator note:

Blatantly frivolous consecutive posts clearly intended to pad post counts dutifully merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
And I allowed you to take that pebble - which is not really mine - ten minutes before you committed that grammatical faux pas!
That's an unfortunate byproduct of mod-fu mastery.

So fast it breaks the laws of English grahamer.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins has died at age 90​

He "flunked out" the first time he applied to the space program. He says there are 15 or 20 reasons why he might have flunked, but he likes to tell the story of the famed Rorschach inkblots mishap during his psychiatric exam.

"I leafed through a whole series of them, and then the last one was a blank sheet of paper, pure white, 8 by 10," he said. " 'Here, so what do you see?' they asked. I say, 'well, of course that's eleven polar bears fornicating in a snowbank.' And I could see the examiner's eyes kind of tighten. He didn't think that was funny. He didn't like people making light of his card set. Anyway, for whatever reason, I flunked.

The next year, (in the inkblot) I saw my mother and my father, and my father was slightly larger and more authoritarian but not too much more than my mother, and I passed."

If you ever have to take a Rorschach Test - remember Michael Collins answers.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
The sprinkler repair guys are at the house. First look - a couple new heads and one connector needed. Tested, then found a large leak at the sidewalk connector - large as in bubbles of water visible above ground and seepage across the sidewalk. So now we have the guys digging and repairing that, as well as the other original issues.

This ain't going to be cheap.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When it comes to being given a Rorschach test, the best strategy is to give innocuous animal-shape related answers. That looks like a butterfly, birdie, duck, and that one's a horsey. Weird responses can get you sent up the clinical food chain quick. That one looks like the ink-black heart of deeply angry urban planner as he's getting ready to crash through an office wielding an axe to make Them pay for laughing at him...

Bubba

Cyburbian
When it comes to being given a Rorschach test, the best strategy is to give innocuous animal-shape related answers. That looks like a butterfly, birdie, duck, and that one's a horsey. Weird responses can get you sent up the clinical food chain quick. That one looks like the ink-black heart of deeply angry urban planner as he's getting ready to crash through an office wielding an axe to make Them pay for laughing at him...
I answer "hookers and blow" for every single ink blot.

dw914er

Cyburbian

Do you mean to tell me that I shouldn't have used that answer? That and "looks like the sign area calculation" did illicit some odd looks.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
City planner/urban designer on House Hunters in Napa, CA. Their budget is 800k.

He is looking for walkability and no Snout houses.
He must be married to a heart surgeon ;)

---

I am at the point where I get excited that it is raining because that means that we MAY have some soccer practices cancelled tonight... I mean it isn't good for the fields to play on them when it is this rainy.... or I just want a night or two off from sports. Is it Summer yet?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We recently had another round of pizza discussions here and @mendelman's favorite ;) Detroit place was talked about a bit... well, it also got a nice write up in Food & Wine yesterday:

Speaking of Buddy's Pizza - that's what we're having for dinner tonight. We don't normally do pizza mid-week but my daughter's elementary is having a fundraiser tonight and every pizza ordered at the Buddy's around the corner from our house gets some money donated to the school for some playground improvements.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I like Detroit style pizza, but the Buddy's I went to in Warren/Sterling Heights about 2 years ago was barely acceptable pizza. The toppings, sauce and cheese were scant at best, so the taste and texture was mainly crispy cooked yeast dough crust. Not what I looked for with pizza.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I like Detroit style pizza, but the Buddy's I went to in Warren/Sterling Heights about 2 years ago was barely acceptable pizza. The toppings, sauce and cheese were scant at best, so the taste and texture was mainly crispy cooked yeast dough crust. Not what I looked for with pizza.

I will say that Buddy's is sort of notorious for being a bit skimpy on the toppings, but I think they generally use much higher quality toppings than a lot of the other places around.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It must be "head home if you're an RV snowbird day". The amount of RVs I saw fully loaded and towing their car this morning on my short commute was crazy. I guess that makes sense though. May 1st is Saturday and many rent their spaces for 6 months so that would be about right.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It must be "head home if you're an RV snowbird day". The amount of RVs I saw fully loaded and towing their car this morning on my short commute was crazy. I guess that makes sense though. May 1st is Saturday and many rent their spaces for 6 months so that would be about right.

My in-laws are snowbirds but they got a late start on their annual migration to Florida this year since they were waiting for their 2nd vaccine shots. Usually they go down in early December, come back up for Christmas, then go down again after Christmas and stay until right after Easter. This year since they didn't get there until February, they've decided to stick around until early May... just 'cause. So this is now the latest they've been down there in probably a decade.

We were talking to them yesterday and they said they forgot how much everything empties out near where they are (Naples) by now and were enjoying no crowds downtown and no traffic on 41 for a change.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Going to be on an all-day call. Would be an all-day call without COVID - the people are scattered across the country in 3 time zones.

Breaks for coffee/lunch/whatever are included, but it's going to be a lot of time staring at the screen.

Of course, there's the possibility that we will finish early. Would be nice but not expected.