• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own thread
Just post nine more times in a row individually. Get it done. Like ripping off a bandage quickly. Go ahead. If you need nine reasons to post then answer the following questions:

1. Why are you afraid of being in teh Clubbbe?"
Bad things happen in threes," said Teh Cat.
3. All the cool kids are in the Clubbbe...you want to be cool, don't you?"
Bad things happen in threes," said Teh Cat.
4. Here, smoke these cigarettes. That's what cool people do....you want to be cool don't you?
"Bad things happen in threes," said Teh Cat.

2. Why can't you just be like everyone else and not make waves?
Because making curls takes too much time..

5. If a train leaves Chicago going to New York City travelling at 75 mph and a train leaving NYC heads to Chicago at the same time travelling 55 mph, at what point will they intersect?
It depends- is there a baby tied to the railroad tracks?

9. Would you like to be in Luxembourg now drinking beer? No? Well I sure would!
You venturin'with dubbel, tripel, quadrupel--or just stickin'with puny pintje?

8. What is the average airspeed velocity of a swallow?
African or European?

7. What is your Quest?
The Holy Grail

6. What is your favorite color?
#0000FF

Holy crow! MD Plan and I will end up falling down a rabbit hole rung to Teh Clubbbe at almost the same time!!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I am beyond grateful that I have not had to spend most of the last year attending Zoom meetings on a regular basis. I've had some for sure, but not nearly to the extent some of you have. That would have driven me crazy.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am beyond grateful that I have not had to spend most of the last year attending Zoom meetings on a regular basis. I've had some for sure, but not nearly to the extent some of you have. That would have driven me crazy.

Last week, I broke my record and had 7 in one day

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Sign guy: So what's the problem with my sign permit application?
Me: Based on what you submitted, your sign exceeds the maximum square footage.
Sign guy: Your numbers or calculations must be wrong.
Me: Based on what YOU submitted, your sign exceeds the maximum square footage.
Sign guy: okay, so when can I get the permit?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What does this mean -

Retail use that activates the street

I am just a simple southern Indiana planner.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When I was little I had a crush on Hefty Smurf.
1619716341153.png

dandy's way of telling us that even from early on, she's all about hooking up with the vacuous beefcake types. And was Moose your favorite from Archie comics?

1619716563769.png

I'd start a 'hey guys: Betty or Veronica?' poll now....but we're trying to stay away from thread splits.

1619717021110.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Speaking of Scooby Doo. Everyone no doubt remembers the classic original theme song

Junior went through a serious Scooby Doo phase and that meant I was obligated to watch them all too. I happen to like the new alt-rock sounding theme song 'what's new Scooby Doo'

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If you mean a gay Chippendales's dancer, then yeah, I guess Fred fits the bill. NTTATWWT
I don't remember where exactly I heard it, whether it was in one of the new cartoons or the movies, but there was a line where Daphne said "no one can accessorize as well as Fred."

1619723214927.png

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Speaking of Scooby Doo. Everyone no doubt remembers the classic original theme song

Junior went through a serious Scooby Doo phase and that meant I was obligated to watch them all too. I happen to like the new theme song 'what's new Scooby Doo'

Matthew Sweet (of 1990s fame, think Girlfriend) did a version of the Scooby Doo theme song:

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated was actually fairly entertaining. They had some good adult humor but Itty Bitty still liked the silliness. This is the Gluten Demon from the episode, "The Devouring".
219GlutenDemon.png

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Matthew Sweet (of 1990s fame, think Girlfriend) did a version of the Scooby Doo theme song:

I love Matthew Sweet and had never heard that song until one day last year when it came up on the Kids Place Live station my daughter was listening to and I recognized the voice immediately. I thought, "Wow, that's cool!" My daughter was unimpressed when I tried to get her into some ore Matthew Sweet stuff. Am I raising a philistine?

It's not as good as the Matthew Sweet version, but Best Coast did the theme song for the Scoob! movie that came out last year:

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I love Matthew Sweet and had never heard that song until one day last year when it came up on the Kids Place Live station my daughter was listening to and I recognized the voice immediately. I thought, "Wow, that's cool!" My daughter was unimpressed when I tried to get her into some ore Matthew Sweet stuff. Am I raising a philistine?
Did you ever see him perform live? We saw him a lot during college and the in NYC. He put on a good show.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Did you ever see him perform live? We saw him a lot during college and the in NYC. He put on a good show.

After years and years of wanting to, I finally got to see him back in '18 here in Detroit.

From what I've read, he does not tour widely as he has a big fear of flying. I'm sure he wasn't as sharp as if I had gotten to see him back in his mid-to-late '90s heyday, but it was still a very solid performance with a lot of material from Girlfriend, 100% Fun, and Blue Sky on Mars so I was happy!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am reminded on mornings after storms that I am old. My soreness and pressure headaches are real.

--

I wish the government would figure out the ARP funding model that they are going to use, and the guidance for how we are going to be able to use that money. They passed the law... hurry up and figure out what the rules are already.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
My wife got bit on the back of the arm by a unknown bug yesterday. She asked me to take a look at it and tell me what I thought. It was swollen and it told her to take a Benadryl; and I followed it up with if that does work, just remember with great power comes great responsibility. This morning things appeared to be normal; I was low key disappointed.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My wife got bit on the back of the arm by a unknown bug yesterday. She asked me to take a look at it and tell me what I thought. It was swollen and it told her to take a Benadryl; and I followed it up with if that does work, just remember with great power comes great responsibility. This morning things appeared to be normal; I was low key disappointed.
so long as the bite doesn't leave something like this she should be okay

1619787174020.png

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I wish the government would figure out the ARP funding model that they are going to use, and the guidance for how we are going to be able to use that money. They passed the law... hurry up and figure out what the rules are already.

I hear ya. I look at the 4 categories and think "damn, there's some things we can't do that we want to". And then I hear about some other community that has plans to use the funds for something that I don't think qualifies. Hopefully we get some true guidance soon.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Old-School internet comics Brunching Shuttlecocks hated Scrappy Doo. http://brunching.com/scooby.html
EVERYONE hated Scrappy Doo! Someone at the Hannah-Barberra Studios really didn't think that one through.

You have an iconic cartoon character - Scooby - that audiences had loved for years, and they decide to insert Scrappy Doo in why? So Scooby can be 'straight man' to that hilarious Scrappy? Like Scooby wasn't funny so they needed that extra comedic kick? Puh-lease!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Wife informed me that the hardest decision imaginable for a woman is to find a bathing suit that she likes. She said that it is harder than a career, spouse, kids, or where to live. Is this true?
Probably some truth to that. All those other things you can check out before you do it. But you can't try on a bathing suit. That's my simplistic answer.

kms

Cyburbian
Probably some truth to that. All those other things you can check out before you do it. But you can't try on a bathing suit. That's my simplistic answer.
Women can try on bathing suits provided they leave on certain udergarments.

The stress comes from seeing ourselves in so many suits that we think make us look worse than we already think we look, and that other people see us the way we see ourselves.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
EVERYONE hated Scrappy Doo! Someone at the Hannah-Barberra Studios really didn't think that one through.

You have an iconic cartoon character - Scooby - that audiences had loved for years, and they decide to insert Scrappy Doo in why? So Scooby can be 'straight man' to that hilarious Scrappy? Like Scooby wasn't funny so they needed that extra comedic kick? Puh-lease!

Scrappy Doo is the Cousin Oliver of the cartoon world.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
You know it's going to be interesting when you tell the applicant the Council meeting will be held via Zoom and he asks "What's Zoom?".

Ai ai ai.

kms

Cyburbian
You know it's going to be interesting when you tell the applicant the Council meeting will be held via Zoom and he asks "What's Zoom?".

Ai ai ai.
I can't tell you how many people I've dealt with lately don't even know their email addresses or how to find email sent to those addresses.

One guy gave me three similar addresses and none worked. Another told me that he'd have his son open email and retrieve attachments.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Don't forget this guy:

702999fc46caa78e5578ea74011315d1.gif
Okay the Great Gazoo sucked too, but for different reasons. Cousin Oliver is actually a trend that we saw develop in the 70's where producers intentionally introduced a cute li'l kid in order to prop up ratings and make old shows more interesting (news flash - IT DIDN'T WORK). Even more egregious in my mind than the Brady Bunch was how the producers of The Walton's handled the last few seasons as nearly the entire original cast had gone. They wholesale imported a brand new 'replacement' Walton family.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh yeah. I forgot all about that little d&$%head.

I had to look up Cousin Oliver as I forgot who that was and it's a thing - The Cousin Oliver syndrome - an attempt to boost ratings on a long standing show by adding a little kid, especially shows where the kids are all grown

hilarious