RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I was thinking more on the lines of wings and a salad.
That seems like way too much work for a weekday lunch.

I agree with Hink.

I'm thinking today is more of a have a hysterical fit in a public place and end up getting tazed kind of day.
meme_dontmindifido.jpg

Bubba

Cyburbian
No official word yet, but Mrs. Bubba's firm was apparently sold yesterday...the owner/CEO was in after business hours cleaning out his office.

Yikes.
Yep, sold. Employees will be informed internally on Sunday (Happy Mothers' Day, y'all!), public announcement to follow on Monday. The VP that Mrs. Bubba reports to won't say anything other than "you'll recognize the purchaser."

Should make for an awesome weekend...

Planit

Cyburbian
Actual email received after telling the guy that his request constituted spot zoning & would not be approved.

Thank you for your response. The Spot Zoning seems to have merit. I understand not all infill requests are feasible however I am confident the following points of support are worth considering:

1. Though in an R 11 zoning district the property would be located next to a 7290 sf lot with home and across the street from vacant B-4 property. There would be no negative attributes to the connected properties.

2. ____________ Ave. is primarily a residential street. The diversity of lot size, property usage, and building styles on __________ Ave. would not make this home seem "out of place."

3. This home would be located within walking distance to downtown and its residents would be apt to support downtown businesses.

4. A new property and home would contribute to city property taxes and support city utilities/services.

Does the above support Spot Zoning and will it be recognized by the decision making entity? What is the protocol to move the Spot Zoning process forward?

I especially like #s 3 & 4...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sometimes, I fall asleep to boring old movies on TCM. (No, I'm not a fan of classic cinema.) Yesterday night, there was some old late 1940s/early 1950s movie on, and one of the characters cussed out another with the crudest profanity my virgin ears have ever been subjected to. "PEAS AND CARROTS!"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Sometimes, I fall asleep to boring old movies on TCM. (No, I'm not a fan of classic cinema.) Yesterday night, there was some old late 1940s/early 1950s movie on, and one of the characters cussed out another with the crudest profanity my virgin ears have ever been subjected to. "PEAS AND CARROTS!"
Buster, you better zip your lip and keep that kinda talk strictly on the QT!
1620395350059.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Typical landscape in America

Typical landscape in Europe

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It is kinda surprising when even the state Court of Appeals doesn't recognize that it is ruling on the wrong type of variance (e.g., land use versus development standards). :oops:

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Should I get a nice(ish) camera or just stick with the camera phone?

dreams of publishing photos of euro pedestrian districts for cyburbians

kms

Cyburbian

A street photography phone would be good, but you also have to hold the little one's hand. Camera phone should be ok.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Before Berlin hit the top of the charts with "Take My Breath Away" (song featured in the 1986 movie 'Top Gun') there was 'Masquerade'

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm a bit late posting to here, but if you are a fan of Star Wars, sci-fi, Muppets, singing, dancing, music, cheesy jokes, and/or 80's music . . . you might be interested in watching the "May the 4th Be With You" Variety Show Extravaganza that my hubby, our kids, a bunch of local friends, and some new friends from other states/countries put together. Skip the first two minutes because it's a countdown slideshow from when we "premiered" the video "live" on Tuesday.

This is what happens when we need something to take our minds off COVID. :p

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm a bit late posting to here, but if you are a fan of Star Wars, sci-fi, Muppets, singing, dancing, music, cheesy jokes, and/or 80's music . . . you might be interested in watching the "May the 4th Be With You" Variety Show Extravaganza that my hubby, our kids, a bunch of local friends, and some new friends from other states/countries put together. Skip the first two minutes because it's a countdown slideshow from when we "premiered" the video "live" on Tuesday.

This is what happens when we need something to take our minds off COVID. :p
Um, is that actually pole dancing at 27:33? :whisper:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yes, I'm going to be pedantic. Suck it up.

You can't have an first annual anything. You can have an inaugural anything and it becomes annual when you do it again, a year hence.

That is all. Carry on.
:ttth::sleep::pill:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

When I zoom in tight on photos taken with an iPhone, there's a kind of smeared water color effect, thanks to what is probably very aggressive noise reduction. Using other camera programs don't seem to help.

Get a real (digital) camera. Mirrorless or DSLR, interchangable lenses, with a large sensor; Micro Four-Thirds, APS-C, or larger if you can afford it. A compact camera with a non-interchangeable lens and small sensor doesn't offer any compelling advantages over a smartphone camera. The new breed of cameras with a non-interchangeable lens and large sensors seem more expensive than those with swappable lenses.

I have a Olympus E-PL7 (Micro Four-Thirds) camera that I use for more intentional photography. It's not a high-end DSLR, but there's still no comparison; it takes much clearer, sharper photos than my iPhone. Even my older E-PL1 takes better photos than the iPhone, even though its sensor has a lower resolution. I can use an adapter to play around with old manual focus lenses.

The disadvantage of a dedicated camera - it can be cumbersome to carry, especially if you're packing extra lenses, batteries, and other hardware with it. Also, images will be more "what you see is what you get", and you may have to do more post-processing to make them "pop". If you shoot a scene at a certain place and time, the resulting photo on the iPhone might seem more vibrant or "contrasty", while the image from the camera might seem a bit "blah" in comparison.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes in the realm of current planning, you hear people's business ideas and say to yourself da f**?

There's a sucker born every minute. While I don't work in the realm of planning, CDBG & HOME are the programs we run out of my office. We get our fair share of kooky inquiries including from municipalities who should know better.

Town: Hello, we're submitting a CDBG Cares Act grant application so we can renovate the police department's locker room.
Us: BWAHAHAHAHA
Boss: So can you tell me which objective criteria that would meet for COVID response and relief?
Town: Uh...social distancing?
Boss: For who? Is the locker room open to the public, can the homeless people come take a shower there, will you be giving tours or meeting residents there.
Town: No way. It's for the cops only.
Boss: Are the cops all residents of your town and are they low income?
Town: BWAHAHAHAHA
Boss: I think we're done here.
Town: So that's a no?
Boss: What do you think?
Town: We need another project?
Boss: THANK YOU FOR CALLING HAVE A NICE DAY.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I get an email when our pump stations pump more than they should, as a fail safe to make sure someone checks them to see what is wrong. When it rains a lot (like it did this weekend) I get emails. Lots of emails. There has to be a better way.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Funny cats....internet....video....a natural combo.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
When I zoom in tight on photos taken with an iPhone, there's a kind of smeared water color effect, thanks to what is probably very aggressive noise reduction. Using other camera programs don't seem to help.

Get a real (digital) camera. Mirrorless or DSLR, interchangable lenses, with a large sensor; Micro Four-Thirds, APS-C, or larger if you can afford it. A compact camera with a non-interchangeable lens and small sensor doesn't offer any compelling advantages over a smartphone camera. The new breed of cameras with a non-interchangeable lens and large sensors seem more expensive than those with swappable lenses.

I have a Olympus E-PL7 (Micro Four-Thirds) camera that I use for more intentional photography. It's not a high-end DSLR, but there's still no comparison; it takes much clearer, sharper photos than my iPhone. Even my older E-PL1 takes better photos than the iPhone, even though its sensor has a lower resolution. I can use an adapter to play around with old manual focus lenses.

The disadvantage of a dedicated camera - it can be cumbersome to carry, especially if you're packing extra lenses, batteries, and other hardware with it. Also, images will be more "what you see is what you get", and you may have to do more post-processing to make them "pop". If you shoot a scene at a certain place and time, the resulting photo on the iPhone might seem more vibrant or "contrasty", while the image from the camera might seem a bit "blah" in comparison.
Thanks for the info! I will check it out.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I went ahead and did the APA post conference survey. I gave it a firm meh. Got my CMs. The ethic session was great. A couple sessions were ok. Hopefully next year's will be in person.