RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

kms

Cyburbian
I have a love/hate relationship with Sheetz. I have found that they are either wonderful, clean, and friendly, or they are horrific, dirty, and lack any sense of customer service. It all depends on the manager. The local location meets the second description.
Most here are clean, maybe because the corporate office is here. I go out of my way to buy gas at a Sheetz in VA. It's the busiest one I've seen, and the most filthy.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Canadian 5 cent (face value and still legal tender) coins from 1922-1981 are pure Nickel and therefore theoretically worth 8 cents each due to the market value of Nickel at this moment (Nickel at $8.0993/lb)
With the increasing price of fuel and used vehicles, it may no longer be profitable to haul a trailerload of returnable cans to Michigan for a 10 cent/can refund.

In New York State, beverage bottle/can deposit is 5 cents. However, there's a small number of hole-in-the-wall businesses that will pay 6 cents a can. How do they make their money? Either they do the Seinfeld Michigan thing on a grand scale, or ... I don't know.

I have a love/hate relationship with Sheetz. I have found that they are either wonderful, clean, and friendly, or they are horrific, dirty, and lack any sense of customer service. It all depends on the manager. The local location meets the second description.
hipster.jpg

"I like the really filthy, dirty old Sheetzes, like the ones they have in Schuylkill County or the Mon Valley, They're more authentic and real than those new sanitized, gentrified Sheetzes in Virginia and North Carolina. They pay more attention to making good sandwiches than keeping the bathrooms clean for the white middle class moms in their SUVs."

Even though Sheetz is based in Pennsylvania, they won't expand to New York state for some reason. Same thing with Wawa. New York State really doesn't have any gas station-slash-convenience stores with a cult following, except maybe Stewart's around Albany. Byrne Dairy is decent, but their footprint doesn't extend far beyond 315 and 607. But, yeah, no Sheetz, Wawa, Royal Farms, or anything like that.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Walk with me, Suzy Lee
Through the park and by the tree
We will rest upon the ground
And look at all the bugs we found
Safely walk to school without a sound
Safely walk to school without a sound

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Again, turned on TCM so I could fall asleep to an old movie, just like my dad.

Whe I woke up, there was some movie on from the late 1950s, maybe. The setting was some beach in Rio de Janeiro. Around the hotel and on the beach, in a climate where humidity is close to 100%, and temperatures are in the 90s (30s C), men were dressed in suits with ties, and women in formal dresses with huge hats. "They dressed nicer back then" regardless, this is kind of ridiculous. Of course, every man spoke like he had a neverending head cold, and medicated it with a handful of amphetamines.

Do Americans even go on vacation in Rio anymore? It's not a travel destination you hear much about anymore, kind of like Acapulco or the Catskills.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, turned on TCM so I could fall asleep to an old movie, just like my dad.

Whe I woke up, there was some movie on from the late 1950s, maybe. The setting was some beach in Rio de Janeiro. Around the hotel and on the beach, in a climate where humidity is close to 100%, and temperatures are in the 90s (30s C), men were dressed in suits with ties, and women in formal dresses with huge hats. "They dressed nicer back then" regardless, this is kind of ridiculous. Of course, every man spoke like he had a neverending head cold, and medicated it with a handful of amphetamines.

Do Americans even go on vacation in Rio anymore? It's not a travel destination you hear much about anymore, kind of like Acapulco or the Catskills.

We are planning to go to the Florianópolis area in 2022 which is way down - fly into Sao Paulo and then a long drive or a short flight over - close friends have a house down there and we have been itching to go for years - Brazil has not done well as a country with COVID so hopefully 2022 things will be better!

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
If you are a sales rep for a pump company or engineering firm rep, its probably best not to link to your crazy ass Trump conspiracy theory stuff on LinkedIn if you wish to be taken seriously. Just sayin....

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are a sales rep for a pump company or engineering firm rep, its probably best not to link to your crazy ass Trump conspiracy theory stuff on LinkedIn if you wish to be taken seriously. Just sayin....

Yeah, I scroll on by most of the time - sometimes I will stop and read the comments, though lol

DVD

Cyburbian
Why is gas price going up over $3 in Arizona when it's all you east coast people that are putting gas in plastic bags?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Why is gas price going up over $3 in Arizona when it's all you east coast people that are putting gas in plastic bags?
Because you're plebeian wage slaves and must drive.

a7784810ba7523cb8a9013fe4614ae3b.jpg

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I hate that people think LinkedIn is a place for their opinions on politics. Why share your opinions on a space that is intended to have work ideas, work relationships, and work related discussions?

It is painfully obvious who are comfortable doing this and whom are not.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I hate that people think LinkedIn is a place for their opinions on politics. Why share your opinions on a space that is intended to have work ideas, work relationships, and work related discussions?

It is painfully obvious who are comfortable doing this and whom are not.
Silverlining: It's a good ad hoc vetting system, so there's that. :cool:

kms

Cyburbian
Road trip, a sad one. I'm headed to Louisville for my aunt's funeral.

My brother asked me to take a photo of the flowers we bought. Um, no.

When my dad took us home for visits, he always stopped at White Castle before he went to his dad's place. We'd eat a few, and carried a big bag of them into Granddaddy's apartment.

I ate a few in the car, and won't show up with any.

I sent a photo of one to my brother. That photo will have to do.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Time = the measurement of mass moving through space.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian

When my dad took us home for visits, he always stopped at White Castle before he went to his dad's place. We'd eat a few, and carried a big bag of them into Granddaddy's apartment.

So sorry for the loss of your Aunt.

Time = the measurement of mass moving through space.
Length x width = height

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
"Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space." - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
"Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space." - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
“The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.” - Kurt Vonnegut

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Gashole, a person who causes an artificial gas shortage by hoarding gas, which causes the price of DVD's gas to increase.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So I posted a factoid I read online on a different thread - "3 billion pizzas are sold each year (that's 350 slices every second)."

I have a confession: whenever I read a statistic that says something like "an automobile accident occurs every 1.5 seconds in the USA" my mind automatically starts playing out a montage scene of various cars smashing into one another every second: at intersections...sideswiping on the highway...rear ending at a traffic light....

or a venereal disease gets transmitted on average once every 12 seconds.......

Planit

Cyburbian
I have a confession: whenever I read a statistic that says something like "an automobile accident occurs every 1.5 seconds in the USA" my mind automatically starts playing out a montage scene of various cars smashing into one another ever second: at intersections...sideswiping on the highway...rear ending at a traffic light....

You mean like this?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
CDC now says that fully vaccinated people do not need to wear masks while indoors.

They also released the Pfizer vaccine for use in kids 12 and older.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
crap! Just found out I have to make dinner tonight - breaded pork cutlets - and kjel is nowhere to be found to tell me how to do it. Oh well, I'm pretty sure you just dredge them in flour and panko and then put them in a skillet filled with oil. How hard can it be?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
crap! Just found out I have to make dinner tonight - breaded pork cutlets - and kjel is nowhere to be found to tell me how to do it. Oh well, I'm pretty sure you just dredge them in flour and panko and then put them in a skillet filled with oil. How hard can it be?
mmm...mmmm...schnitzel....mmmmm....

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Unsuccessful spaetzle?
Successful food photography principles:
1. do NOT show food sitting next to disgusting failures.
2. when it comes to food, show before instead of after pictures.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I was going to reserve a rental car for our trip in August. I knew prices were up & it looks like about a $200 bump per week on the prices. However, now there's an additional option which the difference is another $100 to $150 between the 'pay now' or 'pay later' selection. Ouch.
We usually rent a minivan for out-of-town trips (neither car we have seats all six of us) but when I saw it would cost us $900 to rent a minivan for 6 days when we visit my parents next month, the hubby and I decided to see if we could find a nice, cheap, used van. We are now the proud owners of a 2007 Honda Odyssey. o_O

Don't tell my 1997 Toyota Camry, but I'm going to try to "sell" it to the regional air pollution control district ("cash for polluters" thing). It's such a trouper, I hate to think of it being dismantled, but it's not worth hanging on to and eventually putting money into whatever breaks/explodes.

My hope is that the Odyssey lasts a couple of years, at which time I'll have paid off all the legal expenses from dealing with my ex last year and then I can get either the plug-in hybrid Chrysler Pacifica, or some other plug-in hybrid that will seat all six of us, if there are more options by then.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
My left knee is just waiting to hurt me, I know it. I can tell it is ramping up to break somehow.

Stupid left knee. I would take two right knees if I could.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My left knee is just waiting to hurt me, I know it. I can tell it is ramping up to break somehow.

Stupid left knee. I would take two right knees if I could.
I don't want to hear about your high school glory days...again.

:p

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I fell using my son's skateboard last night. Did the ol' tuck-and-roll but still saw stars and it hurt a bit. Oh well. Most of the time I was trying to learn how to manual on his bike while he skateboarded, so the general soreness I'm experiencing today probably comes from that as much as the fall.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Hope everything goes ok K.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today is hot dog day here

I may have posted this before so sorry if this is a repeat story - when I first started working here, I saw in the office kitchen one of those hot dog machines you see at festivals and the like. I assumed it was stored (accidentally perhaps) there from Parks & Rec or something and thought nothing of it until one random day it was hot dog day and the 4 departments on the second floor - legal, HR, Planning/Development and Engineering all go in on a hot dog lunch with soda, hot dogs, fixins (someone is bringing celery salt today and told me I must have it so going to try it) and cookies (I got those today from a local bakery) - so it's actually a thing that we happen to own which i think is hilarious

so yeah, it's hot dog day