• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Talking about banana (actual food)

How long ago has it been that you eaten an ice cream banana split by yourself ?

TOFB

Cyburbian
I took a banana or two to work every day for years, now pretty sick of them. Pear and apple today.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Talking about pears -

Anybody send or receive a Harry & David box of pears ?

Veloise

Cyburbian
Can a person who rents an apartment or house then AirBNB a portion of that house?
As someone else mentioned, much depends on local regs.
I've often stayed at AirBnB where the spare BR is offered. Sometimes it's entirely private, with a separate entrance, kitchenette, etc. Other times I feel like I'm at a dance camp weekend or my aunt's house (which is why I prefer this over Corporate Hotel America). I prefer stays at family homes.
Bottom line: examine your local regs, then proffer a lease agreement that complies with those.

Last edited:

Veloise

Cyburbian
Me waiting for someone to add a comment in another thread so I can post a hilarious list that's not germane to my earlier post

thanks Maister
it's the band name list in the political thread

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
and now we shall dance 2.gif

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Um....tomatoes are a vegetable. Duh.

:p
Botanists, or plant scientists, classify fruits according to the edible portion of the plant that develops from a flower and contains seeds.
I would say that classifies tomatoes as a fruit but the last time I saw the fruit of the loom commercials, I didn't see a tomato so there's that.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I would say that classifies tomatoes as a fruit but the last time I saw the fruit of the loom commercials, I didn't see a tomato so there's that.
The Supreme Court decided tomato is a vegetable back in the 1800's. No joke. Not sure what made them the authority on that issue but there it is.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I hardly ever buy bananas anymore because even with four kids around, only a couple of bananas get eaten and then they get spotty. Sometimes I don't understand my children. :p

bureaucrat#3

Talking about pears -

Anybody send or receive a Harry & David box of pears ?
We received these in the past but had to give them away. Six pears trips our $25 gift limit. HR at another city I worked for once sent an email to the entire 600 employees letting them know that they had pears if anyone wanted to stop by and get one.

DVD

Cyburbian
Had a boss at a past job who ate fruit all the time. No one really liked him. He never connected with any of his staff. Anyway, if he didn't eat his fruit he would offer it to other people. It was kind of creepy. Here (lady's name) would you like a banana? She looked at him funny and said no. My answer was always, do I look like I eat fruit?

Another topic, I started watching the History of Swear Words on Netflix. Entertaining, but I was led to Lucille Bogan. I'll just say her music is NSFW and todays singers have nothing on her.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The Supreme Court decided tomato is a vegetable back in the 1800's. No joke. Not sure what made them the authority on that issue but there it is.
Nix v. Hedden, 149 U.S. 304 (1893), was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that, under U.S. customs regulations, the tomato should be classified as a vegetable rather than a fruit.[1] The Court's unanimous opinion held that the Tariff Act of 1883 used the ordinary meaning of the words "fruit" and "vegetable," instead of the technical botanical meaning.

I am still botanically correct.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Somebody hurry up and post a random thought so I can post:

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

kms

Cyburbian
I used to display old photos of my grandparents and parents. I dont have the space to do that now. I have a photo of my daughter and me.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have family photos displayed in your home, how many do not contain you or you child?

I used to have the stereotypical random sorting of framed photos on the stairwell walls going upstairs but when we started renting, they tell yo to take down family photos as your renters feel weird staying in your house so i did and then they never went back up so I don't have any

I have so many digital photos on social media of my kids so I guess that's my photo album but I do miss having them framed and in my house

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I am not in any of the photos displayed throughout my house...as they are all photos of bananas.

DVD

Cyburbian
You should have apples in your photos! Apples used to be the American fruit thanks to Johnny, but you banana republic people have ruined it all. Be patriotic and bring back apples! The apples will rise again!

TOFB

Cyburbian
We have, IMO, way too many family photos in our house framed and displayed. And another 25 on a bulletin board.

And I bet I threw away 200 photos over the weekend, mostly out of focus or irrelevant. Don't tell my wife, she will never miss them.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
There's a joke (or two) there but Imma let it go. I swear I'm perpetually 14 years old. :grimace:
There used to be a trucking terminal near us called South East Express. They must have had a big contract to haul bananas because all their trailers had a slogan under their logo: EAT MORE BANANAS! The logo was a stylized S. E. X.

Always made me chuckle.

Planit

Cyburbian
All over the country, I'm seeing the same
Nobody's winning, at this type of game
We gotta do better, it's time to begin
You know all the answers
Must come from within

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yes!!!

Here's the old terminal. Looks like it was still active in 2007 per Google maps, though I don't think it was still South Eastern Xpress. The house we sold in 2018 was less than a mile west of there. I think when we bought the house in 1997 this terminal was no longer SEX at that point.

Last edited:

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
when I Worked in a coastal community, spite houses or additions to block a view to the ocean was a thing
I worked in a coastal community where one subdivision's private covenants required you to build a skeletal frame of any addition you wanted out of 2x4's first so everybody could see how their view would be blocked. That was... ...fun.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I used to have the stereotypical random sorting of framed photos on the stairwell walls going upstairs but when we started renting, they tell yo to take down family photos as your renters feel weird staying in your house so i did and then they never went back up so I don't have any

I have so many digital photos on social media of my kids so I guess that's my photo album but I do miss having them framed and in my house
Most smart tv's and streaming devices have an option for photo slide shows as a screen saver. We display our digital photos that way at our house. It is relatively simple to setup. I got my mother a google nest hub three years ago and I set up a shared folder on google photos that is displayed as a screen saver. My sister, my brother, and myself can add pictures to be displayed. We share old family pictures that we have scanned along with current pictures of our family. We also add pictures of our kid's art projects.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
omg I am so oversensitive sometimes

I feel like I need a Wanda-Sykes from Monster-In-Law following me around to tell not to say that or think that or whatever

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I'm signed up for electronic bill pay for a car payment through my bank (the loan is through another lending institution). My bank is showing that the payment was sent and delivered. But the payment hasn't been processed. So I called my bank, and they told me to call the lender. I called the lender, and do you know what I found out? My bank is MAILING a PHYSICAL CHECK to the lender each month. So now, because the mail is screwed up, they think it's been delivered, but the lender hasn't seen it yet.

Is that common practice with e-bill pay? If I had known that, I would have just signed up for automatic payments directly on the lender's site, and will probably do that once this whole situation is resolved. That seems inefficient and unnecessary.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm signed up for electronic bill pay for a car payment through my bank (the loan is through another lending institution). My bank is showing that the payment was sent and delivered. But the payment hasn't been processed. So I called my bank, and they told me to call the lender. I called the lender, and do you know what I found out? My bank is MAILING a PHYSICAL CHECK to the lender each month. So now, because the mail is screwed up, they think it's been delivered, but the lender hasn't seen it yet.

Is that common practice with e-bill pay? If I had known that, I would have just signed up for automatic payments directly on the lender's site, and will probably do that once this whole situation is resolved. That seems inefficient and unnecessary.
My bank sends checks if I can't provide an account where they can transfer money. So that option takes a little planning. Your bank should cover any late fees if you incur any.

Can you check your settings for the payee? You might be able to reset it to a transfer instead of a check.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

My credit union used to do all paper checks for their e-bill pay but about 2 years ago they switched over to automatic electronic payments for probably 95% of them. I never even had to do anything, they somehow knew what the routing numbers and account numbers were even for things like the lawn company who cuts my grass and plows my driveway. They do still have a disclaimer on the site that if a paper check needs to go out, it will take up to 14 days for the payment to process but I think the only person I make payments to that still goes by paper check is the fee I pay each year to my friend who runs our fantasy football league. C'mon Rich! Get with the program!