• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
The heck do you run your potatoes though?

Over easy is the best egg if there's fried potatoes or corned beef hash sharing the plate. Scrambled is for next to foods in the "syrup-bearers" food group. Caveat is I only really like my own scrambled eggs. I cant's stand rubbery, grainy, or watery scrambled eggs. Poached is for Benedicts and salads. Hard-fried is for when you don't want to bother hard boiling.
Over easy and then smashed on hash browns is the best way to eat eggs.

dw914er

Cyburbian
A super annoying thing when I was a kid was whenever my dad decided to adjust the picture on the television. You young'uns might not remember it, but long ago (cough cough) on broadcast television they used to have lots of static and other visual noise (e.g. 'flipping picture') on the screen. My father being the perfectionist he is would fiddle around endlessly with the antenna or other tv adjustment controls trying to get a 'perfect' picture. This, of course required him to sit directly in front of the screen while making adjustments, thereby blocking your view of the tv. I remember we were watching MASH one time (a 30 minute sitcom) and when he finally pronounced the picture 'perfect' and got out of the way there was only six minutes of the show left. :mad: I would have been quite content laughing at Hawkeye through a little bit of snow.
The show Married with Children had a great scene like that where they had to get into the Fox viewing position. I'm glad those days are gone, though the struggle now is finding out if the wifi died.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Is it just me or can anyone else turn to a radio station and sometimes correctly identify the format without even hearing any music?

Less now than it once was. There are a lot of networks that will have DJ's on multiple stations with different music selections.

But I remember when the country station had a DJ that sounded country, and the Top 40 station would have something like this:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Less now than it once was. There are a lot of networks that will have DJ's on multiple stations with different music selections.

But I remember when the country station had a DJ that sounded country, and the Top 40 station would have something like this:
Christian radio stations particularly stand out even to this day. Something about their tone/timbre when they talk. Back in the day you could ALWAYS tell the difference between FM and AM talking styles.

Reactions: kms

Doohickie

Cyburbian
We have a new Buffalo bar in Ft Worth... this makes three (two locations of Buffalo Bros, and the new one: Nickel City)

1622816024395.png

It's nothing special, but it feels like an old neighborhood tavern in Buffalo. Genny Cream (from Rochester) on tap. Light meals inspired by Buffalo and Detroit, including pizza logs, fried bologna, wings by the pound, and a pretty good Detroit-style coney dog.

A cool thing: They have adult happy meals, such as a slider with cheese, fries, and a shot & a beer for $13. ❤️

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Christian radio stations particularly stand out even to this day. Something about their tone/timbre when they talk. Back in the day you could ALWAYS tell the difference between FM and AM talking styles.
Yea... something like this?

Big Owl

Cyburbian
We have a new Buffalo bar in Ft Worth... this makes three (two locations of Buffalo Bros, and the new one: Nickel City)

View attachment 51836

It's nothing special, but it feels like an old neighborhood tavern in Buffalo. Genny Cream (from Rochester) on tap. Light meals inspired by Buffalo and Detroit, including pizza logs, fried bologna, wings by the pound, and a pretty good Detroit-style coney dog.

A cool thing: They have adult happy meals, such as a slider with cheese, fries, and a shot & a beer for $13. ❤️
They need the George Thorogood happy meal with one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
it's down to, what, four more sleeps? Getting better!
I think 5 more sleeps! But my days are all off and I can't trust myself about anything without double and triple checking!!

The shipping container did not arrive like it was supposed to. 😭😭😭 So the movers are packing up their truck in between smoke breaks and will take it to their warehouse where hopefully the container will arrive sometime next week. 😳 And then start it's 2 month journey.

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm getting so many student loan email solicitations. They're like the extended car warranty robo phone calls. At least a couple a day!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm getting so many student loan email solicitations. They're like the extended car warranty robo phone calls. At least a couple a day!
Hi Planit,

I see you have a child entering college this year. Would you be interested in educational funding loans so your child is not some low life scumbag after the next four years?

Lastly, despite what you've heard, 'crippling student debt' is really only in the eye of the beholder and it could be worse...you could be a Syrian refugee trying to enter Hungary.

Now...all I need is your SSN and DOB and we can get started.

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
I lectured my kids to ignore the credit card applications that they stuff into the bags at the book store.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am working my way through an emotional support bag of Reese's peanut butter cups with pretzels.
Plan on having a few dozen high stress days over the next three months. Comes with the territory with most international moves.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I think 5 more sleeps! But my days are all off and I can't trust myself about anything without double and triple checking!!

The shipping container did not arrive like it was supposed to. 😭😭😭 So the movers are packing up their truck in between smoke breaks and will take it to their warehouse where hopefully the container will arrive sometime next week. 😳 And then start it's 2 month journey.

Oooh, do you know the name of the vessel it's going to be on? [educational voice] You could track it at marinetracker.com or other similar sites and give a geography lesson at the same time[/educational voice].

My guess is Newark>Norfolk>Miami>Le Havre>Rotterdam>Hamburg.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think it will be Newark -Albuquerque - Luxemburg - New Orleans - Yellow Knife - San Pablo - Rome - Seattle - Kansas City - Tokyo - Sidney - London - NYC - Miami - Madrid - Maui - Rotterdam - Dublin - Mars - Hamburg...

Just kidding. I am sure it will arrive quickly and everything will be there undamaged.

I wonder if they will put one of those location stickers on it every time it stops or changes direction.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Oooh, do you know the name of the vessel it's going to be on? [educational voice] You could track it at marinetracker.com or other similar sites and give a geography lesson at the same time[/educational voice].

meme_popedroppingbeat.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Has anyone heard about Amazon Sidewalk? Turns out it is for real and the first thing I did was opt out of it on my account.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This has been one of the longest of the long four day work weeks I've ever experienced. And there's still a half hour left!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian

Oooh, cool. I will try to find out. Thanks!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
West Colonial Drive, Winter Garden, Florida, 12 July 2002. The original Town Next Door.

dayul_2002_07_12.jpg

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So we had our local runoff elections today. Our council (including mayor) is now 25% younger. (By the way, the mayor's office (M) counts as District 1 in case your curious. I didn't know myself until I looked at this graphic and noticed 1 was missing.)
1623030979114.png

The district I used to live in (6) had the most radical change, not just in terms of age but also demographics and politics. The margin of victory was 273 in over 14,000 votes cast in that district. On election night it looked like the incumbent would pull it out but by the next morning it was clear the challenger had won.

Reactions: Dan

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
So we had our local runoff elections today. Our council (including mayor) is now 25% younger. (By the way, the mayor's office (M) counts as District 1 in case your curious. I didn't know myself until I looked at this graphic and noticed 1 was missing.)
View attachment 51885
The district I used to live in (6) had the most radical change, not just in terms of age but also demographics and politics. The margin of victory was 273 in over 14,000 votes cast in that district. On election night it looked like the incumbent would pull it out but by the next morning it was clear the challenger had won.
Hurrah for the Millennials. They’re (and us Xers) finally taking over.
:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have to get a lot completed this week. On Monday morning that is always daunting. I will update on Friday afternoon whether or not I was successful.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Hurrah for the Millennials. They’re (and us Xers) are finally taking over.
:cool:
I'll also throw this out there: Although city elections are non-partisan, Democrats now hold a 5-4 majority. The younger mayor was the chief of staff for the outgoing mayor; that seat stays Republican, so Ft Worth remains the largest city with a Republican mayor.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I think it will be Newark -Albuquerque - Luxemburg - New Orleans - Yellow Knife - San Pablo - Rome - Seattle - Kansas City - Tokyo - Sidney - London - NYC - Miami - Madrid - Maui - Rotterdam - Dublin - Mars - Hamburg...

Just kidding. I am sure it will arrive quickly and everything will be there undamaged.

I wonder if they will put one of those location stickers on it every time it stops or changes direction.

I've made some online sales and purchases that seem to have made journeys like this to take a seemingly straightforward trip from Detroit to Los Angeles or from Hong Kong to Detroit.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A story I once heard from from a former gf's father:
He used to work at Upjohn Pharmaceuticals (now Pfizer), which was the one place in town you really really wanted to work because at the time it was family owned and they treated their employees like...family. There was never any talk of unions because frankly they gave their employees everything and more that they could possibly have asked for had there been a union. So it was not unusual for people with college degrees to take menial jobs there and make good money while biding their time until an opening for a chemist or biologist opened up, months or even years later. So he accepted a job working as a janitor. On his first day during orientation a small group of new hires was taken on an introductory tour and told what was expected of them. The supervisor explained that one of their tasks was to clean all the porcelain fixtures in the bathroom so that they would be as sterile as humanly possible. How sterile is that you ask? He proceeded to demonstrate by cleaning a toilet with extreme thoroughness. Afterwards he took a paper cup which he dipped in to the toilet bowl....and took a drink!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
A story I once heard from from a former gf's father:
He used to work at Upjohn Pharmaceuticals (now Pfizer), which was the one place in town you really really wanted to work because at the time it was family owned and they treated their employees like...family. There was never any talk of unions because frankly they gave their employees everything and more that they could possibly have asked for had there been a union. So it was not unusual for people with college degrees to take menial jobs there and make good money while biding their time until an opening for a chemist or biologist opened up, months or even years later. So he accepted a job working as a janitor. On his first day during orientation a small group of new hires was taken on an introductory tour and told what was expected of them. The supervisor explained that one of their tasks was to clean all the porcelain fixtures in the bathroom so that they would be as sterile as humanly possible. How sterile is that you ask? He proceeded to demonstrate by cleaning a toilet with extreme thoroughness. Afterwards he took a paper cup which he dipped in to the toilet bowl....and took a drink!

lava.gif

should I just yellow card myself now or what

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I am this close /--------/ to being done with people. If you say you are going to attend a function, Keep Your Word! If there is an issue/ emergency, let me know you can't make it before or after the event so you don't just look rude AF.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm playing around with my camera more, now that we're getting closer to summer. It's an Olympus E-PL7, a mirrorless Four Thirds system camera.

I got polarizing filters for my two (entry level) lenses. Shooting from the passenger seat of my car, there's no window reflections. Contrast could be better, but I blame it on the windshield. Not too bad, otherwise.

east_hill_01.jpg