• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

DVD

Cyburbian
Somehow got back in on the work computer. IT is messing with things. No get get developers to take a day off so I can slack a little more.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I second that. I'm always suspicious when people play to your emotions. It's comes across as manipulative.
meme_cute-differentlyabledforcharity.jpg

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We received our phased return to the office guidelines today.

I will have to start getting up earlier to add drive time to my morning routine.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I will have to start getting up earlier to add drive time to my morning routine.
I work from home two days a week and go into the office two days. Yeah.... it's a bitch getting up early Tuesday and Wednesday. (I work 4 x 10 so I get to RJ every Friday.)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Bubba

Cyburbian
Gohmert asks if federal agencies can change Earth's or moon's orbits to fight climate change

Eh, that's on par with Hank Johnson worrying that Guam could capsize.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yes, we are all scheduled to jump up and down for one minute at 09:57 GMT on June 31, 2021. To assist all public agency are asked to play "Jump" by Kriss Kross on any and all amplified devices.
Do I need to wear my clothes backwards as well? I mean to make the orbit change or not?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Explosions Seen as Homes Go Up in Flames in Montgomery County

Multiple Montgomery County homes went up in flames Thursday afternoon in an explosive fire that happened after police responded to a homeowner threatening a code enforcement officer with a gun.

Nero

19E53E09-AB0F-4184-B627-3EC867EA7ED3.jpeg
So I’ve been working from home in Michigan since Covid started. But my office is in Winchester Virginia and I have been paying for my apartment every month since Covid started! When Covid first started they said we would be out for two weeks, then they said a month, then they said we would be back after memorial day, then it was July 4, then it was Labor Day, and then it was after the first of the new year, now it’s after July 4 again, i’m pretty sure I will be back in Virginia Soon. I’m going to Kuwait in mid July for a month then I hope to take some time off.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have color coded my todo list. It is now dependent on how quick I need to complete tasks. Which I think is fun... since I would finish them all if I could. But at least now I have colors on my todo list.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yes, we are all scheduled to jump up and down for one minute at 09:57 GMT on June 31, 2021. To assist all public agency are asked to play "Jump" by Kriss Kross on any and all amplified devices.
I heard the Chinese are staging a massive counter-jump campaign to occur at the same time and cancel out the effect.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
In a petition to vacate -
"on a portion of the easement"

How much is a "portion" ? when they don't submit a survey.
And it is not an easement but unimproved platted right-of-way.

kms

Cyburbian
I don’t know how restaurants in my town stay open. Two are closed today. One is catering a rehearsal dinner tonight and another wants to get ready for an event in town tomorrow.

So the hell with walk-in business and regular customers. People expect businesses to be open and ready at the times that they need to eat. If you turn enough people away often enough, they'll stop coming around.

I'll heat up pizza rolls in the oven.

• Sad
Reactions: JNA

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I don’t know how restaurants in my town stay open. Two are closed today. One is catering a rehearsal dinner tonight and another wants to get ready for an event in town tomorrow.

So the hell with walk-in business and regular customers. People expect businesses to be open and ready at the times that they need to eat. If you turn enough people away often enough, they'll stop coming around.

Another possible illustration of not enough workers either willing or seeking employment in low wage service jobs?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just read an article about crazy prices being offered by online auto retailers like Carvana to purchase your used vehicle so I put in the info on my 7-year-old Wrangler, just to see. They offered me nearly $30k! That's crazy and only a few thousand less than what I paid for it back in '14.

I'd be tempted to take the offer except that I don't think I can find what I'd want to replace it with on any lots right now.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Another possible illustration of not enough workers either willing or seeking employment in low wage service jobs?

We all took naps here yesterday around 4:30 and slept way too late. We needed dinner when we woke up and nobody liked my suggestion of cereal so my oldest talked me into some Little Caesar's pizza. That's fine - it's cheap, it's fast, and I actually enjoy it. So I drove up to the one a couple blocks from our house only to find out they are closed Tuesday - Thursday because a lack of workers. (Thankfully there's another location a couple miles aways and they were open.)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I found heart pine floors under the cheap laminate that I am replacing in a room of my home. I evidently anticipated that I would find the heart pine floors and wonder why someone would cover them, as opposed to refinishing them because I found a note that I left under the floor addressed to "future self or current occupant" written by me that addressed why I didn't refinish the heart pine floors in 2006. Thank you 2006 Big Owl, you saved me a lot of time and energy.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
No. Not at all. It's always this way, including pre-covid.

Yeah, you see that fairly often in a lot of downtown businesses. I know in my last city, which has a very popular and thriving downtown, a lot of the stores and restaurants are like that. For some, I think it's more of a hobby business than one that they actually want to make money at. And others are simply ones who are clueless and will be out of business entirely in short order.

DVD

Cyburbian
I found heart pine floors under the cheap laminate that I am replacing in a room of my home. I evidently anticipated that I would find the heart pine floors and wonder why someone would cover them, as opposed to refinishing them because I found a note that I left under the floor addressed to "future self or current occupant" written by me that addressed why I didn't refinish the heart pine floors in 2006. Thank you 2006 Big Owl, you saved me a lot of time and energy.
Maybe it was a future Big Owl who after trying to refinish the pine floors and ruining it so bad he had to move out because the stink of failure was too much and his family left him for someone who knew not to refinish pine floors so he went back in time to save you and your family before taking his own life in a tragic fishing accident.

kms

Cyburbian
Yeah, you see that fairly often in a lot of downtown businesses. I know in my last city, which has a very popular and thriving downtown, a lot of the stores and restaurants are like that. For some, I think it's more of a hobby business than one that they actually want to make money at. And others are simply ones who are clueless and will be out of business entirely in short order.
I feel as though a few businesses in town are hobbies for their owners, or businesses they started on an impulse. I've stopped using those businesses. There are far too many choices out there.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Maybe it was a future Big Owl who after trying to refinish the pine floors and ruining it so bad he had to move out because the stink of failure was too much and his family left him for someone who knew not to refinish pine floors so he went back in time to save you and your family before taking his own life in a tragic fishing accident.
You might be on to something... I am just amazed that past or future Big Owl was confident that present day Big Owl would willing to take advice from his past or future self.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I believe my new place may be the home to a rather substantial bat colony. We threw a sticky board down in the crawlspace and two days later it had 4 bats on it. They also left another little present; bat mites! They look like bedbugs. Great! Also, their poop is potentially toxic!

I am getting quotes and the house owner and I are dealing with it, but its not comfortable to sleep in the house.

kms

Cyburbian
I believe my new place may be the home to a rather substantial bat colony. We threw a sticky board down in the crawlspace and two days later it had 4 bats on it. They also left another little present; bat mites! They look like bedbugs. Great! Also, their poop is potentially toxic!

I am getting quotes and the house owner and I are dealing with it, but its not comfortable to sleep in the house.
Ugh. I'd leave.

MD Planner

Cyburbian

Be careful. I had a rental property that had bats in the attic. One night I watched them fly out of the louvers at the end of the house. I stopped counting at 200! But in Maryland they are protected at certain times of the year because they have babies. So we had to wait until a certain date. Then we put up screens and such that allowed them to exit but not return. Several hung on the side of the house for a few days but eventually they move on. They really are very beneficial in lots of ways. Try not to kill anymore of them.

Is there any way to break your lease with the house owner without incurring an astronomical financial penalty?

I've found that getting rid of bats is easy enough. But getting rid of bat mites is difficult & expensive and takes more than a little while.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

I know a guy that might be able to help you. His name is Bruce...

keaton-batman-costume-img-1.jpg

DVD

Cyburbian

Just keep telling yourself that you live in the Batcave and that's just Alfred or Robin fixing the Batmobile and not bat mites or The Joker.