• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Bubba

Cyburbian

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So our company is finally encouraging live video in our Skype/Zoom meetings. We just had our first Skype staff meeting, only about a quarter of us had the camera going.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm signed up for electronic bill pay for a car payment through my bank (the loan is through another lending institution). My bank is showing that the payment was sent and delivered. But the payment hasn't been processed. So I called my bank, and they told me to call the lender. I called the lender, and do you know what I found out? My bank is MAILING a PHYSICAL CHECK to the lender each month. So now, because the mail is screwed up, they think it's been delivered, but the lender hasn't seen it yet.

Is that common practice with e-bill pay? If I had known that, I would have just signed up for automatic payments directly on the lender's site, and will probably do that once this whole situation is resolved. That seems inefficient and unnecessary.
It depends on the relationship between your financial institution and the biller. Some billers will receive electronic transfers from your bank, others don't opt in and get a paper check. I had one bill like that for years which sucked.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I like to try little baking projects here and there and have gotten more confident experimenting with bread-type baking (I make pizza dough regularly, but am branching out more). Last weekend I made homemade bagels that turned out pretty well. Not perfectly - they were a little wrinkly, but they tasted really good. I think I'm going to try hamburger buns next.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
My calorie counting app told me that I meet my goal better when...

I like to try little baking projects here and there and have gotten more confident. . .
Met with the realtor today who was optimistic. I am not going to hold my breath but I appreciate her energy.
. . ...I will switch things around until they are balanced and in visual harmony.

^This all^ reminds me... there is no 2021 New Year's Resolutions thread!

Or should we just pretend 2020 didn't exist:ha: and bump up the resolutions & goals thread M'skis started about a year ago?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am reminded of why I don't make milkshakes. Although they are very good at bringing boys the yard, they also require a large amount of clean up, which the boys do not help with.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I am reminded of why I don't make milkshakes. Although they are very good at bringing boys the yard, they also require a large amount of clean up, which the boys do not help with.
How much did you pay Kelis to teach you how to make a milkshake that's actually good enough to bring the boys to your yard? She charges for that, ya know.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The consistency and texture of homemade milkshakes using just milk, ice cream and a blender usually differs from commercial varieties.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Our boss sent an email out last night that says we need to have a "quick staff meeting" this morning and reminding us that Monday is a holiday. I had two staff members email immediately afterwards freaking out if there was something they needed to know.

I reassured them that if there was a personnel issue, it would be addressed directly with anyone that it would have impacted. But it's funny how those "we need to talk" emails immediately induce anxiety, even as I'm reassuring everyone else, I couldn't help but wonder if the most terrible thing ever happened - like we were being sued or something. Logically, that doesn't make any sense, but that's where everyone's mind goes!

We'll find out this morning, I guess.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We've decided grocery delivery is a very good thing. But I am uncertain how much to tip the delivery person. 15% seems more than enough.

We have been tipping 10% but can be shamed into giving more.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm baking a coffee cake.

The coffee cake was a success, though next time I'm going to add some crushed walnuts to it and make a thicker icing for the glaze.

Last week I made a loaf of gingerbread. That was a big hit too.

I need to figure out which baked good to make next week. My oldest was asking for molasses cookies but I was considering a yogurt-based chocolate bundt cake or maybe a dark chocolate gingerbread.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Beyond underwear, realizing I have 99% of the shoes and clothes I need for the rest of my life is sad and comforting at the same time.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Is secretly wishing my 11-year-old 1080p 50" plasma TV would die so I can get a bigger 4K smart TV a bad thing?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We've decided grocery delivery is a very good thing. But I am uncertain how much to tip the delivery person. 15% seems more than enough.

We have been tipping 10% but can be shamed into giving more.

The convenience of it is nice but I've decided that I freaking hate it. They are always out of something I ordered and almost always they substitute what I wanted with some awful shit that I would never buy in a million years.

TOFB

Cyburbian
The convenience of it is nice but I've decided that I freaking hate it. They are always out of something I ordered and almost always they substitute what I wanted with some awful shit that I would never buy in a million years.
We paid $99/yr for 2hr free delivery on orders over $30 and they text me when they don't have the item ordered. It is a pain in the butt for us to haul groceries in from the detached garage, around the pool on the now ice-encrusted walk. Oh, then there's the Vid thing.

bureaucrat#3

I worked at an unnamed place where their idea of auto deposit was the bookkeeper walked to all the banks of the employees on payday and deposited your checks...
That's much better than the engineering firm I worked at years ago. As soon as you got your paycheck it was a race to the company's bank to cash the check. For a couple of months, a few checks bounced or the last one or two were told there were insufficient funds and to come back next week.

Bubba

Cyburbian
That's much better than the engineering firm I worked at years ago. As soon as you got your paycheck it was a race to the company's bank to pull cash the check. For a couple of months, a few checks bounced or the last one or two were told there were insufficient funds and to come back next week.
That didn't happen to be in Atlanta, did it? I'm aware of a engineering firm in one of the northern burbs that was like that (about 20 or so years ago)...

Veloise

Cyburbian
Do any of you have a recipe for onion blossom soup?
Not sure about the "blossom" part. (Go to the faux Aussie restaurant and pick one up, bring home and make into soup?)

French Onion Soup

Thinly slice a Vidalia onion. Put in a deep saucepan with some butter. Saute for a while, until browned and soft.
Meanwhile, reconstitute some bullion cubes or crystals, or open a can. Add to saucepan, stir.
Cook on medium for a while. Salt and pepper to taste.

Place in an oven-proof bowl and float a slice of French bread on top. Cover this with mozerella cheese. Broil until the cheese is nicely browned and melted.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure about the "blossom" part. (Go to the faux Aussie restaurant and pick one up, bring home and make into soup?)

French Onion Soup

Thinly slice a Vidalia onion. Put in a deep saucepan with some butter. Saute for a while, until browned and soft.
Meanwhile, reconstitute some bullion cubes or crystals, or open a can. Add to saucepan, stir.

Place in an oven-proof bowl and float a slice of French bread on top. Cover this with mozerella cheese. Broil until the cheese is nicely browned and melted.

the secret to exceptional French onion soup is to make your own beef broth - it's so worth it imho

bureaucrat#3

Is secretly wishing my 11-year-old 1080p 50" plasma TV would die so I can get a bigger 4K smart TV a bad thing?
I have a 720p 40" plasma that is approximately the same age. My wife thinks its perfectly fine (and it is), but I really would like a something newer, bigger and nicer. It's showing no age and I assume will last for years to come. 1st world problems.

Veloise

Cyburbian
the secret to exceptional French onion soup is to make your own beef broth - it's so worth it imho
I don't do beef.

Back in college (the first round) I'd make up a gallon of this, store in repurposed containers in the freezer. My other bulk dishes were veggie lasagna and veggie enchiladas, similar treatment.
As long as I remembered to move one to the fridge every morning, I never had to spend too much time in the kitchen. This was years before microwaves.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
For this fictional bloomin' onion soup, I think the french onion soup would be a good base, but you need to have some deep fried onions in there too. Not the French's fried onions but something more savory like the bloomin' onion at Outback. You'd have to serve it fast though because there's a risk that things will start to get mushy.

kms

Cyburbian
For this fictional bloomin' onion soup, I think the french onion soup would be a good base, but you need to have some deep fried onions in there too. Not the French's fried onions but something more savory like the bloomin' onion at Outback. You'd have to serve it fast though because there's a risk that things will start to get mushy.
I’m going to use chicken broth and try to season it to taste like a mild version of the dipping sauce. I’ll thicken it and maybe add garlic.

I agree about keeping the onion crispy. I’m thinking of making tiny crackers using onion purée and the breading seasonings.

kms

Cyburbian

French Onion Soup

I make my own French Onion Soup pretty frequently. I use Gruyere cheese on mine. I’ve used provolone in the past. I think that mozzarella is too bland.