• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
2131665.gif

kms

Cyburbian
The word yea is lazy to me. Just say yes. Yes is clear. Yea comes off mumbled and I have to say "sorry?" or "what?" or "what did you say" or "huh?".
My neices say "Un-uh-uh" when they mean "I don't know" They are old enough to know and should knock it off.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Our network is called "WI-FLY AWAY" a play on one of my wife's favorite Allison Krauss song, "I'll Fly Away".

Sometime back, I let our building maintenance know that a light fixture in my office wasn't working. Yesterday, I let our building's maintenance people know that 2 light fixtures are not working. They show up and points out that 2 bulbs in my third fixture are out. So of the 14 bulbs in my office, 4 of them are working. I was told that they would get to it when they had a rainy day and if the the other 4 went out that I would be moved up the priority list.
I have a recording of that song. I'm not sure if it is on an Allison Kraus live album or if it was on the "O Brother" soundtrack, but it's one of my faves.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I have a recording of that song. I'm not sure if it is on an Allison Kraus live album or if it was on the "O Brother" soundtrack, but it's one of my faves.
It's on the "O Brother" soundtrack. There is a live version on a soundtrack of a documentary that was recorded at the Ryman Auditorium.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have begun to listen to 40's on XM. It generally has a lot less singing and more instruments, is simple, but very good.

My children absolutely hate it. They want KPL, which I can no longer handle.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have begun to listen to 40's on XM. It generally has a lot less singing and more instruments, is simple, but very good.

[/old man yells at cloud meme]

Reactions: JNA

Big Owl

Cyburbian

I haven't listened to the KPL channel on XM but I have been exposed to the KPL play list on Spotify. It's brutal.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's the direct-to-brain music streaming service enabled by the chip that was injected with your Covid vaccine.
Did you receive any of the language upgrades with your chip? I expected to get Spanish, French and Russian, but was completely surprised to find I suddenly can speak Farsi!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to speak on tv this afternoon and I woke up feeling a lack of self esteem so I gotta get it together

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Infrastructure!
I just don't get how any professional driver could look at his/her wing mirror and not see that the bed was in the upright position. As far as I'm concerned, that's just not possible UNLESS she/he never looked in the mirror. Which is frightening, indeed. And to knock that bridge nearly 6'-0" off the centerline? They had to be flying!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah, this is already a big headache for the Savannah Port. As far as the driver's employment, you know "he gone".

EDIT: Apparently the driver and his girlfriend were messing around while he was driving and she hit something while "maneuvering" so more than one thing got raised in that truck. :smirk:

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

My kids still love KPL but I'm waiting for my nearly-11-year-old to outgrow it. I figure that's coming when she starts middle school next month.

I don't actually mind KPL (well, most of the shows anyway) and would say I actually enjoy the Absolutely Mindy show in the morning so when I'm working from home I don't mind when my oldest turns it on on the radio.

In the car, we compromise and let the kids pick the station on the way out and I get to pick on the way home. If it's just me and the 5-year-old in the car, when she picks KPL I normally just turn on Lithium instead and she doesn't know the difference. Thankfully she's not literate enough to read the radio screen yet!

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
My kids still love KPL but I'm waiting for my nearly-11-year-old to outgrow it. I figure that's coming when she starts middle school next month.

I don't actually mind KPL (well, most of the shows anyway) and would say I actually enjoy the Absolutely Mindy show in the morning so when I'm working from home I don't mind when my oldest turns it on on the radio.

In the car, we compromise and let the kids pick the station on the way out and I get to pick on the way home. If it's just me and the 5-year-old in the car, when she picks KPL I normally just turn on Lithium instead and she doesn't know the difference. Thankfully she's not literate enough to read the radio screen yet!
So what's KPL?

FYI my daughter has gone from all out pop to 90's alternative, alt rock, and indie rock.. kinda refreshing (still a swiftie and part of the BTS army tho)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So what's KPL?

FYI my daughter has gone from all out pop to 90's alternative, alt rock, and indie rock.. kinda refreshing (still a swiftie and part of the BTS army tho)
Kid's Place Live. It has mostly kid songs that are fun - think Weird Al style songs that a funny. The problem is the hosting is terrible. There are llama voices and chipmonks and just lots of OVER THE TOP hosts.

If they just played music I would be okay with it....

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So what's KPL?

When my daughter said she liked BTS and related bands, I watched videos of those bands. I found them harmless and far different than I listened to at that age. Given what I listened to, that's not a bad thing.:rofl::oops:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
No No No... Florida DOT says that it is ok. They put a cone up in the gap.

On a side note, how do you handle improvements within your office/department? Namely, if you to do small repairs such as patching walls, painting, or minor non-permit related construction yourself, or does is it done by another department or even contract out?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So what's KPL?

Sounds like she has good taste in music. I'm a pretty big BTS fan too. I've probably seen them about 20 times. I didn't realize they were popular with younger kids!

This doesn't come from the best BTS album, but it's definitely one of my favorite songs:

Kid's Place Live. It has mostly kid songs that are fun - think Weird Al style songs that a funny. The problem is the hosting is terrible. There are llama voices and chipmonks and just lots of OVER THE TOP hosts.

If they just played music I would be okay with it....

The Animal Farm show (the one with the llama and chipmunks) is by far the absolute worst thing on KPL. I cannot understand how anybody can be entertained by that one. My daughter really likes the Couch Potato Stew show and I've realized the best thing about that one is that it's like nearly 100% music which is definitely a bonus.

There's a guy who lives near us and performs at local libraries and parks who gets played on KPL quite a bit. Our first post-COVID concert was going to see him, in his first post-COVID concert, at a park a few weeks ago. Our oldest daughter decided she's finally getting too old for his music (she used to make us go see him anytime he was playing nearby) but our youngest had an absolute blast dancing around with the other preschoolers and kindergartners:

201994236_10104739878148376_4989194670777665335_n.jpg

(Most of the older kids were "too cool" too get up and dance but I could tell they were still secretly enjoying themselves)
...how do you handle improvements within your office/department? Namely, if you to do small repairs such as patching walls, painting, or minor non-permit related construction yourself, or does is it done by another department or even contract out?

All repairs, changes, and improvements, no matter how minor, have to go through our Facilities department. We're technically not even supposed to rearrange the furniture in our cubes or offices ourselves. We don't really complain though since minor stuff is usually repaired the same day the issue is reported, and even stuff like patching and repainting a wall or replacing a section of carpet is usually done in just a day or two. The problem comes when we want to do something that is an actual change. That takes all sorts of requests and studies and often IT feels like they need to get involved for some reason and they slow things down even more.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
On a side note, how do you handle improvements within your office/department? Namely, if you to do small repairs such as patching walls, painting, or minor non-permit related construction yourself, or does is it done by another department or even contract out?
We use a program, Dude Solutions which is like a help desk for public works. It works for all that sort of stuff as well as things out in the community like a bunch of garbage along the highway, a pothole, street sign down, etc. The public can submit issues via our website too.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
All repairs, changes, and improvements, no matter how minor, have to go through our Facilities department. We're technically not even supposed to rearrange the furniture in our cubes or offices ourselves. We don't really complain though since minor stuff is usually repaired the same day the issue is reported, and even stuff like patching and repainting a wall or replacing a section of carpet is usually done in just a day or two. The problem comes when we want to do something that is an actual change. That takes all sorts of requests and studies and often IT feels like they need to get involved for some reason and they slow things down even more.
I am doing one such 'change' and coming in over the weekend to finish it up. I am not sure why something was set up the way it was as it was not usable. But I think that the changes will be a vast improvement from the existing situation. If I put in a request to have PW do it, it would take 2 weeks, caused 4 to 5 times more than it would if I did it, and overall will be quite a bit nicer.

We use a program, Dude Solutions which is like a help desk for public works. It works for all that sort of stuff as well as things out in the community like a bunch of garbage along the highway, a pothole, street sign down, etc. The public can submit issues via our website too.
We use that for our IT request and our park repair requests. The PW director does not like it, so he does not want to use it for any facilities requests.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crap there was a tick walking along my zoning map and I picked up the paper to carry it to the sink to kill it and it dropped of the page and it's a super tiny one so I don't know where it went and I want a new office now lol

• Wow
Reactions: Dan