• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I giggle every time I drive by this sign.
What about when you're at the supermarket?

extra_dick_toilet_paper.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Progress Report

#16 - 202102-1103-3105-1907-16
#15 - 202001-2703-1005-1207-2309-1611-1112-2812-3112-319,375
#14 - 201902-1204-0505-2407-1508-3010-1712-0512-2412-319,484
#13 - 201803-1605-3108-1011-0512-315,115
#12 - 201702-2805-2308-2411-2812-295,096
#11 - 201602-0903-2305-1207-0108-1810-1212-0712-318,072
#10 - 201502-0604-0606-1508-1410-0111-2912-3012-3112-319,570
# 9 -- 201401-3103-1205-2108-0910-2112-1112-3012-3112-319,291
# 8 -- 201301-1802-1203-2204-2205-1706-2007-3009-1611-1312-1912-3112-3112,050
# 7 -- 201202-2305-1207-1009-1211-0612-0612-2812-3112-319,327
# 6 -- 201102-2504-1205-2606-3008-1010-0512-0512-318,041
# 5 -- 201003-0405-0907-2609-2211-245,563
# 4 -- 200902-1904-2407-1310-0712-315,004
# 3 -- 200804-0407-0709-2312-224,085
# 2 -- 200703-1005-1907-2410-114,862
# 1 Original RTDNTOTO 2004-200713,142

Reactions: Dan

TOFB

Cyburbian
Since I have almost always worked in the largest city in a media market, I have given well over 100 TV interviews. My favorite interview was over a weekend and one station didn't want to get scooped by another, so they asked to talk to me at my house. How did they find me? Crazy to think, but they found me in the telephone book.

Anyway, they asked that I put on a collared shirt and sit at my home desk and computer. This was maybe 1995.

As they were filming, one of our cats walked between my legs and decided this was the perfect time to launch a hairball.

OK, take 2.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Bootleg Fire, the largest wildfire in the United States this year,
That means the blaze has spread around 24,000 acres per day on average, or just over 1,000 acres every single hour. That's an area larger than the area of Central Park each hour, or a rate of a football field burned every 5 seconds for 10 days,

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Here's the AT&T building in downtown Port Huron, MI:

The front half of the building was built in the 1920s but the back addition seems to match the trend we're seeing with the '60s and '70s construction.

One more note on these buildings: AT&T must be a good corporate resident to have in these downtowns. They might not occupy the most remarkable or aesthetically pleasing buildings, but they seem to be long-term tenants. Once they move into/construct these buildings, it looks like they maintain them pretty well for the most part and don't just leave them vacant (I have to imagine there is a lot of infrastructure inside these buildings that makes it pretty cost prohibitive to move to a newer fancier facility a couple miles outside of town).
Jumping in late (was on vacation): Ft Worth has one of those buildings too

But they also have them in all the neighborhoods too. Smaller, but ubiquitous. They are the IT closets of the city.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I need to go to the chiropractor. He needs to fix my neck...

Planit

Cyburbian
I found a yellowjacket nest this weekend. Wasn't looking for it, but all of the sudden the occupants let me know it was there. Only popped twice thanks to a quick reaction of my brain telling my legs to run.

Said nest was duly gassed last night.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I found a yellowjacket nest this weekend. Wasn't looking for it, but all of the sudden the occupants let me know it was there. Only popped twice thanks to a quick reaction of my brain telling my legs to run.

Said nest was duly gassed last night.
I've got paper wasps building a nest under the canopy above my back patio. Gassing will commence a little after sunset to make sure everybody's on the nest ....

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bees are cool. They help make honey and pollinate dozens of different important food crops. Yellowjacket wasps, on the other hand, serve neither humanity nor the animal kingdom any useful purpose.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday morning we went and checked out a park my wife I had read about south of Detroit Metro Airport. Before she came across the park on a local blog, neither of us had ever heard of it, even though my aunt and uncle live just a few miles from the park and we'd been down to the area on occasion.

The marsh is entirely man made and I believe I read it's only about a decade old but exploring through it you'd think it has been there for centuries, except for how square the property is. Apparently is was about 1,000 acres of farmland until the airport authority bought it up and dammed a small creek to create the marsh. They did all this to mitigate the loss of some wetlands at the nearby airport when it underwent a recent expansion.

Very cool project that seems to have turned out really nice. We'll definitely be heading back to explore some more, especially since we found a really good ice cream place a few miles away.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A certain city has a policy of never removing ghost bikes, no matter how old they are.

This one has been around since I moved here, over 10 years ago. At this point, it's not a tribute; it's litter. Let it go. I'm surprised none of the neighbors have said anything, but then again, the community as a whole is pretty tolerant of "urban grit" like this.

ghost_bike.jpg

TOFB

Cyburbian
A certain city has a policy of never removing ghost bikes, no matter how old they are.

This one has been around since I moved here, over 10 years ago. At this point, it's not a tribute; it's litter. Let it go. I'm surprised none of the neighbors have said anything, but then again, the community as a whole is pretty tolerant of "urban grit" like this.

View attachment 54619
Give roadside memorials in the ROW one year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We were joking the other day about how a mutual acquaintance was obviously 'not the kind of girl you bring home to meet mother'. Which invites the question who exactly IS the kind of girl to bring home to meet mother?

The answer is probably someone who exhibits competency in some areas and has at least a veneer of respectability. LP, for instance, would handily pass the aforementioned criteria. Heck, she might exude excessive respectability. Like you'd be happy to have her around hosting an event where the Governor, or some visiting dignitary was present. No worries with mom there. But what about folks who exhibit competency, yet somehow wear their freak at least partially on the outside? Someone who might knowingly say something inappropriate, or look, or dress inappropriately - know anyone like that?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were joking the other day about how a mutual acquaintance was obviously 'not the kind of girl you bring home to meet mother'. Which invites the question who exactly IS the kind of girl to bring home to meet mother?

The answer is probably someone who exhibits competency in some areas and has at least a veneer of respectability. LP, for instance, would handily pass the aforementioned criteria. Heck, she might exude excessive respectability. Like you'd be happy to have her around hosting an event where the Governor, or some visiting dignitary was present. No worries with mom there. But what about folks who exhibit competency, yet somehow wear their freak at least partially on the outside? Someone who might knowingly say something inappropriate, or look, or dress inappropriately - know anyone like that?

I don't know what to say here but make a Desperately Seeking Susan reference as that's the first thing that came to mind

Awkward Desperately Seeking Susan GIF

Reactions: kms

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
More random: how to measure things like a Canadian.

how_to_measure_things_like_a_canadian.png

One thing they're missing: real estate. Canadian zoning codes use metric units, but for measurements based on Imperial units. For example, "7.6 m" for 25', "1.8 m" for 6', and so on. Real estate advertising and the construction industry use Imperial. A Canadian home builder will sell 2,200 square foot houses on 45' lots.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

View attachment 54619
'Elves' take care of that sort of thing around here. They use magic, as opposed to officialdom to make it go away.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So I took the new-ish (opened just before the pandemic) TEXRail from DFW Airport to downtown Fort Worth last night on my way home from NY State. Comments:
  • I have the local transit app (GoPass for Trinity Metro) on my phone.
  • Surprisingly difficult to find the schedule on the app or online. I chased three or four rabbit holes before found it, and even then I had to actually plug in information: Direction, Time of Day, Time of Departure, etc., and then it told me what that particular route ran.
  • Also surprisingly difficult to find the price. From what I saw on the app and online, it seemed that it was probably a Local Day Pass but I wasn't sure so I held off buying the ticket through the app.
  • Also also surprisingly difficult to find the actual station. If you don't know, DFW Airport is very large- 5 terminals that are BIG. I determined that TEXRail left from Terminal B. By a stroke of luck, my plane came into Terminal B. But at the wrong end, so it was a several minute walk. And then even knowing which end it was at, there was very little signage, and none of it branded, showing the way to the terminal. The signs were typically small, looked like they were put up at the last minute (i.e., didn't really match existing terminal signage) and simply said, "Rail to Fort Worth". Not once did it say TEXRail.
  • My flight was late so I missed the train I thought I could catch. But looking at the online schedule (second bullet above), I saw another left a half hour later.
  • It's a good thing I spoke to an employee at the station about the train. I found out two vital bits of information: 1. The train leaves every half hour, but not all trains go to downtown Fort Worth. Some only go halfway. This actually amazed me but I'm glad I found out before I hopped on the next train, which didn't go all the way. 2. There was a fair option (not one of the defaults) to buy a "single train ride". So instead of buying a full Day Pay for $5, I only needed a single train ride for $2.50.
  • There is a monitor on the train that tells you where you are, and shows the next few stops and the end stop. But it doesn't increment until several minutes after the train pulls out. So if you leave the Northside station, it will say your next stop is Northside until you're about halfway to the next stop. I can see where this would be confusing.
  • A few pluses: Only $2.50 for a 30+ mile train ride seems like a great deal.
  • It's a new system, and it shows. I don't think I've ever ridden on a smoother, quieter train.
But really, getting information through the app and the in-airport signage is really awful and desperately needs improvement.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wonder if the local cannabis market is approaching saturation yet?

HomerJ

Cyburbian

Someone from the bike advocacy side over there should push for legislation requiring that, for the department responsible for ROW wherever there is a ghost bike, go ahead and remove each one as soon as an appropriate safety improvement has been implemented.

Not sure this is the case elsewhere but around hear it seems that effective advocacy around bike safety has really stalled out.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Are ghost bikes ever appropriate? I can think of little else that would have a greater effect in deterring bike riding. Helmets and spandex aren't even a close second.

Hey look, a cyclist was killed there riding a bike. That must be a dangerous thing to do. I think I'll just stay in my car/truck/suv/van.

Planit

Cyburbian
Nice phone call from a person wanting to move here.

Do you allow live/work units downtown? - Yes.
Does the city have any for sale? - There is one for sale that I am aware of.
Will the city be selling any soon? - The city doesn't own any units.
Really? So do private people own them? - Yes.
Can you give me their name and number so I can call them? - There are multiples, but they're units are leased. There are a couple buildings for sale, but the 2nd floors need renovations for an apartment.
How much are they? - I'm not sure. I'm not a real estate agent. Here's the name and number of one that I know owns a couple buildings. Maybe he can help.

She actually thought the city owned the buildings in downtown and rents them all.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Can you give me their name and number so I can call them? - There are multiples, but they're units are leased. There are a couple buildings for sale, but the 2nd floors need renovations for an apartment.
How much are they? - I'm not sure. I'm not a real estate agent. Here's the name and number of one that I know owns a couple buildings. Maybe he can help.

She actually thought the city owned the buildings in downtown and rents them all.
Hello, is this the planning department? Yes? Well, I wanna lodge a complaint.... what is the deal with these property taxes? Why do you set them so high? I mean if you want to attract more development, you certainly don't want to price yourself out of the market do you?

Veloise

Cyburbian

View attachment 54619
Ick. I'd be ashamed of that one.

My practice has been to steer the families toward a parking rack that's designed for the elements, and is placed in a location to be accessible as well as functional.
If the family has chosen cremation, or there's a step-relative involved, the loved ones have a place to visit on Father's day or birthdays. Local cyclists can appreciate it and hold the rider in the light. And no one has to look at a rusted Huffy that was never intended to be sitting outside that long.

memorial GB.jpeg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I wonder if the local cannabis market is approaching saturation yet?
We don't have retail weed in NYS yet. I can say that around here, it seems like we've gone way past the point of saturation for vape or CBD stores, yet more continue to open every month. Almost every time I walk or drive past one, there's no customers inside.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We don't have retail weed in NYS yet. I can say that around here, it seems like we've gone way past the point of saturation for vape or CBD stores, yet more continue to open every month. Almost every time I walk or drive past one, there's no customers inside.
I assume retail weed will be like CDB- so there's a "gold rush" of sorts and lots of ill-advised, undercapitalized would-be retailers in the mix. I'm not in a jurisdiction where it's cheap to be a retailer, so they seem to have found all of the low-rent places to occupy.

Weed stores will come with a much higher bar for licensure - there's already angst in my fair state that "big marijuana" is going to take over- which to me is like, what did you THINK was going to happen? Of course the big companies are going to push the little guys out.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Five dispensaries opening within the last 180 days.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I assume retail weed will be like CDB- so there's a "gold rush" of sorts and lots of ill-advised, undercapitalized would-be retailers in the mix. I'm not in a jurisdiction where it's cheap to be a retailer, so they seem to have found all of the low-rent places to occupy.

Weed stores will come with a much higher bar for licensure - there's already angst in my fair state that "big marijuana" is going to take over- which to me is like, what did you THINK was going to happen? Of course the big companies are going to push the little guys out.
We pretty much vetted our retailers. Not to say there was some "funny business" with who got licenses, because there very much seems to be something that happened before I got onboard, and I leave it at that. With all that said, "big marijuana" has taken over 2 of our licensees, while the other big guy (medmen) has gone away because they got too big for their own good.

Our neighboring jurisdiction has a "whopping" entrance fee (yearly price for the privilege of opening up a retailer) at $84K a year. I live in said jurisdiction. How this is "cost recovery" is beyond me (full disclosure, our annual fee is 20K).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We pretty much vetted our retailers. Not to say there was some "funny business" with who got licenses, because there very much seems to be something that happened before I got onboard, and I leave it at that. With all that said, "big marijuana" has taken over 2 of our licensees, while the other big guy (medmen) has gone away because they got too big for their own good.

Our neighboring jurisdiction has a "whopping" entrance fee (yearly price for the privilege of opening up a retailer) at $84K a year. I live in said jurisdiction. How this is "cost recovery" is beyond me (full disclosure, our annual fee is 20K).
The mark ups on the product are obscene. When you buy from Big Weed, much of what you're paying for is marketing and overhead.

arcplans

The mark ups on the product are obscene. When you buy from Big Weed, much of what you're paying for is marketing and overhead.
Not that I have "purchased from big weed", but Lagunitas (yea the brewery) makes a fabulous drink called "high hops". It is just what the name implies. Assuming it is only brewed in California due to all the laws, but hey, it was worth the $8.

DVD

Cyburbian
I think we have most of the weed stores covered in our town. We get the occasional new one, but I think all the licenses the state will give out have been given out. Of course they all expect special treatment or want to avoid the code because they're just converting a retail space into a different retail space and not doing anything else so why should they get that use permit and site plan and...

dw914er

Cyburbian

I get that a lot, as well the common social media posts of why did the city pick another Mexican food restaurant to open up here. Along that theme, one of our business owners also created this odd petition where my key takeaway was that they thought I had way more power than I actually do.

arcplans

• Haha

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Are ghost bikes ever appropriate? I can think of little else that would have a greater effect in deterring bike riding. Helmets and spandex aren't even a close second.

Hey look, a cyclist was killed there riding a bike. That must be a dangerous thing to do. I think I'll just stay in my car/truck/suv/van.
I think you've got the purpose of ghost bikes wrong. It's not for riders or potential riders. It's for the MOTORISTS to point out that a person lost their life in a particular spot, so be careful and watch out.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I get that a lot, as well the common social media posts of why did the city pick another Mexican food restaurant to open up here. Along that theme, one of our business owners also created this odd petition where my key takeaway was that they thought I had way more power than I actually do.
But when ‘we’ open a Chickfila, ‘we’ take full credit. 😉

MD Planner

Cyburbian
See also: "Why did you allow so many banks in town?"

You know what's funny? When I started in this business over 25 years ago there was all this literature telling us the things that would be going away. Branch banks was top of the list. Yet I can't tell you how many site plans for banks I dealt with as a young planner.