• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

kms

Cyburbian
You know what's funny? When I started in this business over 25 years ago there was all this literature telling us the things that would be going away. Branch banks was top of the list. Yet I can't tell you how many site plans for banks I dealt with as a young planner.
I'm noticing that branch banks in small communities are closing. Now people have to drive to a strip mall to bank. ATM kiosks are popping up, but they aren't replacing smaller community banks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Smaller branch banks from the big banking systems have been closing in our area as well, and this is a relatively wealthy area with a lot of private services and fancy bank offices (our local Chase doesn't even have traditional teller windows: you walk in and are greeted by a concierge who takes you to a private office to do whatever it is you're looking to do whether it's to deposit some money, make a withdraw, move money in money market accounts, take out a car loan, etc. I always feel sort of guilty when I go in there and they pull up our account my wife's account and see the money and think they're going to sell me some new account or service but all I want is $50 in $2 bills or a new roll of presidential dollar coins, but I digress...). The closures began before the pandemic but that seems to have exasperated things and sped up the consolidation of branch offices.

We used to have one or two bank branches at every intersection of our local feeder streets here in our neighborhood, plus a couple in the few small neighborhood shopping centers we have nearby. Five or six years ago there were probably 10 or 12 bank or credit union locations within a 1.5 mile radius from our house. If we added another mile to the radius, that would envelop our "downtown" to the east and a major intersection to our west and we'd probably add another 15+ banks and credit unions into our area. These days we still have a ton of bank branches in the downtown and at the major intersection but we're down to 5 that I can think of in the smaller neighborhood radius.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I guess my point was that the "prediction" all those years ago was correct, just the timing was a bit off. I moved here over 2.5 years ago. I kept PNC because that's where all my daily type banking took place in MD. There is only once branch anywhere around here. I've had to go there exactly once and that was when I was buying the house and needed a certified check. With direct deposit there's just no need to go that often. I don't miss the old days of sitting in line at the bank on a Friday evening waiting to cash my check with everybody else.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Reason #5289 why you need a content neutral sign ordinance

dw914er

Cyburbian

I have a feeling we're dealing with a similar banner.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I have a feeling we're dealing with a similar banner.
We had a "similar banner" guess what? We have content neutral sign ordinance, soooo take down your banner, as it is not allowed in residential zones, and choose which 2 sf sign you want to proudly display that says "Biden is dick" and move along.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
I am in the Catskills, it is nice.

We had a "similar banner" guess what? We have content neutral sign ordinance, soooo take down your banner, as it is not allowed in residential zones, and choose which 2 sf sign you want to proudly display that says "Biden is dick" and move along.

I would live to fly a "Biden is a Dick / Dump Trump - LEFT IS BEST" on my property, if I owned property.

As a Millennial, I feel like I may never be able to own.

Veloise

Cyburbian
That'd be yours truly having a fine ol' time in the NYT FB comments on the article. I referenced the previous Cybub discussion about allowing a US flag but limiting the size. Someone's going on about "free speech" and I'm having to explain Zoning 101.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Does this ahem tip of this rocket remind anybody of something?
Here's how the launch aired in Japan.

japan_bezos_rocket.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Need proof that I am a Census nerd -
looking up the federal register for OMB not changing the definition of metropolitan statistical area.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I've been to a bank branch 2x in the past 3 years. Recently as my daughter needed to sign her HELOC documents and about 1.5 years ago when I had a rather large check to deposit that exceeded the mobile deposit threshold. We primarily bank with Navy Fed, I don't have base access anymore to the one at the Naval Weapons Station so I have to drive an hour to visit the nearest retail branch for in person stuff. Most business with them is online, through their app, or overnight mail.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Hello from Glacier.

Hiked 8.4 miles yesterday with my kids. 2,450 feet of gain at the Dawson's Pass trail. I am sore all over today.

I will do some pics when I get back. The smoke is very visible here. There is a haze all the time in the sky here.

The towns are interesting. Different than Midwest.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So apparently the Bucks won the NBA last night... my question is does anyone watch pro-basketball? I didn't see it referenced anywhere in here.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I watched but I find it hard to do so. It's just such a different game than what I grew up with. There is so much emphasis on the 3-point shot and isolation plays that to me it seems like a lot of the beauty of a well coached and cohesive team just isn't there anymore. Not much of an inside game. And so many guys can't even make free throws anymore. As good as these guys are, there is not one player in the league that should shoot under 80% from the charity stripe.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So apparently the Bucks won the NBA last night... my question is does anyone watch pro-basketball? I didn't see it referenced anywhere in here.
B'ball is in my blood thanks to my native state. That being said, I've never liked the pro game. I like college level better.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

I watched but I find it hard to do so. It's just such a different game than what I grew up with. There is so much emphasis on the 3-point shot and isolation plays that to me it seems like a lot of the beauty of a well coached and cohesive team just isn't there anymore. Not much of an inside game. And so many guys can't even make free throws anymore. As good as these guys are, there is not one player in the league that should shoot under 80% from the charity stripe.

I always want to watch the NBA but there are a few factors that make it difficult: a) My local team (the Detroit Pistons) went from being a championship team with one of the best defenses ever to absolute garbage in the course of just a few years and b) there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how regular season games are scheduled. The scheduling problem is my biggest gripe. Your team might have a game on Tuesday, then another on Thursday, but then not play again until Monday.... then not play again until back-to-back games Friday and Saturday, followed by another two days off.... it makes it impossible for the casual fan to stay interested and follow along from week to week. I usually end up watching the first couple weeks of the season and then tune out until the playoff semifinals.

I will say that overall, I enjoy watching NBA games because it seems like the sport where the players are most enjoying themselves. Plus, the piped in music while the game is playing and fans right up to the court help with the "fun" atmosphere. I watched quite a few games during the "bubble" session of the previous season and really enjoyed those... maybe because the Pistons were so bad they weren't even invited to The Bubble. Since there were no Pistons I was cheering for the Bucks in The Bubble because I like Giannis and because their GM was a local boy from a rural community I have a bunch of relatives in.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I bank at the local hippie credit union. Whenever I'm there, I always take pictures of posters on the bulletin board in the lobby.

View attachment 54635
The shamanic services by Susan looks particularly impressive. Among other things, I see Susan offers "soul retrieval" services. I should probably give her a call. I lost mine about 20 or so years ago, and I'll be damned if I can remember where I last put it.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I always want to watch the NBA but there are a few factors that make it difficult: a) My local team (the Detroit Pistons) went from being a championship team with one of the best defenses ever to absolute garbage in the course of just a few years and b) there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how regular season games are scheduled. The scheduling problem is my biggest gripe. Your team might have a game on Tuesday, then another on Thursday, but then not play again until Monday.... then not play again until back-to-back games Friday and Saturday, followed by another two days off.... it makes it impossible for the casual fan to stay interested and follow along from week to week. I usually end up watching the first couple weeks of the season and then tune out until the playoff semifinals.

I will say that overall, I enjoy watching NBA games because it seems like the sport where the players are most enjoying themselves. Plus, the piped in music while the game is playing and fans right up to the court help with the "fun" atmosphere. I watched quite a few games during the "bubble" session of the previous season and really enjoyed those... maybe because the Pistons were so bad they weren't even invited to The Bubble. Since there were no Pistons I was cheering for the Bucks in The Bubble because I like Giannis and because their GM was a local boy from a rural community I have a bunch of relatives in.
The Hawks went from being too bad to be included in The Bubble to taking the eventual champs to six games in the Eastern Conference Finals. And now, Vegas has them back as the 11th favorite to make the Finals next season in their way-to-early odds. Go figure.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The shamanic services by Susan looks particularly impressive. Among other things, I see Susan offers "soul retrieval" services. I should probably give her a call. I lost mine about 20 or so years ago, and I'll be damned if I can remember where I last put it.
You know what might help you get your soul back? A nice long hug.

cuddles.JPG

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In looking at the players that Seattle poached from other teams, I am curious what their thinking was. While I think it is a balanced roster, I would have guessed that they would have picked a team that would start out as more of a contender or they would have picked a team that would be more geared towards development so they can set the culture.

Either way, I think they will have a decent team, but I don't think we will see a repeat of Vegas from a few years ago.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
like the new header, Dan!
Thanks! It's an experiment, to see if a style that better says "planning stuff here!" helps with attracting new members. For folks who don't like it, you can still choose the old default blue theme with the style link (bottom left of the page).

(Trivia: the background image is part of an unrealized plan by Frederick Law Olmsted for a large planned community outside of Buffalo.)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Cyburbians of a certain alma mater may be amused that I dreamt of the former planning department chairman as a conductor on a central Indiana tourist railroad. Dressed in full railroad regalia, he was smiling and clearly enjoying himself.

What prompted that dream? I have absolutely no idea.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Any veterans here that deal with code enforcement? I'm curious how you personally deal with it when folks try to play the 'veteran card' on you?

• Haha
Reactions: Dan

DVD

Cyburbian
I watched, but only because it was the Rally in the Valley. I'm not a huge basketball fan and like others I prefer college sports.

Any veterans here that deal with code enforcement? I'm curious how you personally deal with it when folks try to play the 'veteran card' on you?
I'm not code enforcement, but I just say things like great, what service...I was in the Navy. That usually puts an end to I should give you preference.

Debating if I should apply for a Planning Manager job with a TND. It's not a bad town from what I know. I would just have to go back to being a planner and doing meetings and dealing with stuff beyond approving big buildings downtown. Also, no more big buildings or projects. They're small compared to the current gig. On the plus side, pay is much more.