• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 16 (2021)

DVD

Cyburbian
We have hot dog carts at Home Depot. Well at least we did until the covid thing came along and ruined everything. The one by my house is not so good.

Jerk gave me a site plan that had no changes from his last review. Several great comments came to mind like don't piss of the planner by not making corrections, or this planner hates pointless extra reviews, but I was good and just copied and pasted the old comments.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We have hot dog carts at Home Depot. Well at least we did until the covid thing came along and ruined everything. The one by my house is not so good.

Jerk gave me a site plan that had no changes from his last review. Several great comments came to mind like don't piss of the planner by not making corrections, or this planner hates pointless extra reviews, but I was good and just copied and pasted the old comments.
I've mastered the passive aggressive "I'm not sure but maybe you sent me an old version inadvertently?" email.

dw914er

Cyburbian

I typically post a note saying "all of my comments dated ___ remain outstanding" and leave it at that.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Are we talking about grabbing nuts on weiner day or something?

Speaking of hot dog stands: Home Depot closed all their hot dog stands in Michigan back in the spring of 2020 and they just announced they will now be closed permanently. My oldest daughter and I are very sad about this. Thankfully, it looks like the Home Depot closest to our house is allowing a hot dog food truck to park in their lot at lunch most days. Hopefully they keep that up.

And what is it with hot dogs at hardware stores anyway? I can even remember that the local Quality Farm and Fleet store in our little farm town used to sell hot dogs at a window in the back of the store at lunchtime when I was a kid back in the early '80s. I used to love going to the store with my dad on Saturdays or Sundays because I knew I'd get a hot dog and a Dixie Cup of Coke.

You mean Home Depot literally ran hot dog stands in Michigan? I thought the ones here in Texas were all just random vendors that got permission to set up outside the store.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
By the way, the best thing at a taco truck is not tacos. It's tortas.

1628049284168.png

If the ask you something about "todo" (all), just nod and say, "¡Si!" I don't really want to know what's in there, I just know they taste really good: The comfort food I never knew I needed.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I love listening to jazz piano when I get into the office in the morning. I feel like it just hits my mood right. A little tired and slow, but then maybe a pick up or two with some jive.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I've been run down, and I've been lied to
And I don't know why, but I let that mean woman make me a fool
She took all my money, wrecked my new car
Now she's with one of my good time buddies,
Drinkin' in some cross town bar

Sometimes I feel, sometimes I feel
Like I've been tied to the whippin' post,
Tied to the whippin' post, tied to the whippin' post
Good lord, I feel like I'm dyin'

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You mean Home Depot literally ran hot dog stands in Michigan? I thought the ones here in Texas were all just random vendors that got permission to set up outside the store.

Home Depot didn't run the stands in Michigan, they just contracted to outside vendors.

It was always interesting because certain vendors were noticeably better than others. The one at the HD closest to my house was supposedly the best in this particular area and had the widest selections of hot dogs and sausages and cooked everything on a grill. They also had the full assortment of peppers, onions, sauerkraut, etc. The one by my office, had just basic steamed hot dogs and the only toppings they offered were diced onions and sauerkraut. On the plus side, they had really good brown mustard and their hot dogs were cheap: for $2.50 you could get two dogs, a can of Faygo, and some chips. The HD on the far side of our downtown had the fancy hot dog vendor that operated out of a converted Ford van from the 1950s and would be at the local farmers market on Sunday mornings. His stuff was expensive but it was pretty good and he also had a bigger menu with egg and sausage breakfast sandwiches on really good bread.

It's like a whole community of hot dog enthusiasts!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
everybody's a landscape architect... :r:

lol

Hey, I have my AICP... I should be good.

But in reality, I was a LA major my first year of college and I worked for a company for for 5 years in high school and college doing design with over 300 projects. However now living in a new climate, I am having to learn about all these new plants that were not available to me in the past.

Bubba

Cyburbian

200.gif

Props for the Allman Bros lyrics.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Hey, I have my AICP... I should be good.

But in reality, I was a LA major my first year of college and I worked for a company for for 5 years in high school and college doing design with over 300 projects. However now living in a new climate, I am having to learn about all these new plants that were not available to me in the past.
I suggest that you check out the North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox. It has information on 4,522 plants that grow in NC and you can filter by various categories to select the right plant for a specific need/location. I use it for making suggestions for plant selections. Of course sourcing plants, is another issue all together. It has been my experience lately that most of the nurseries in my area have very limited stock due to covid related shortages, a hard late frost, and increased demand. The best piece of advise is to find a good nursery, develop a relationship with any of your city's staff horticulturist, and/or local agriculture extension agents. This will help you professionally and personally.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

As someone who took on a big hand planing job (new mast for a boat) over the weekend while this spun out (occupying a whole side of Live at the Fillmore) on my shop record player, I concur.

/Plan M-f, Plane S-S

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I enjoy running and then getting into a pool. This is a primary reason for me considering getting a pool. Financially it makes no sense, they aren't exactly the safest thing, and if you want a pool they are building you one for like 8 months, but I still want one so I can get in it after my run.

I also had doordash bring us Indian food last night because I had to have it. Am I pregnant?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I enjoy running and then getting into a pool. This is a primary reason for me considering getting a pool. Financially it makes no sense, they aren't exactly the safest thing, and if you want a pool they are building you one for like 8 months, but I still want one so I can get in it after my run.

I also had doordash bring us Indian food last night because I had to have it. Am I pregnant?
tom hardy inception GIF

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

1628167973752.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Sure wish we had hot dog day here. It's not like LP's office, where they seem to treat hot dog day like it's taco Tuesday.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

There are many hot, humid mornings where I wish we had a pool that I could jump into as soon as I am done running. Jumping into the pool immediately after a run is one of the things I enjoy most about visiting the inlaws in Florida.

If I run to the gym, I can take a route that makes it an exact 5k and once in a great while I would run to the gym and immediately jump into the pool (my goal was always to swim a few laps but I'm a horrible swimmer and I always ended up just playing around in the water) and then run home. Unfortunately, the pool at the gym is indoors and always way too warm so it just doesn't feel as refreshing as I'd want.

Walking through the neighborhood the other day I counted four houses! all currently having pools dug. I keep reading about bottlenecks in the pool industry right now. It seems like the hold up is probably because they entire labor pool of installers (no pun intended) is here in my neighborhood this summer.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure wish we had hot dog day here. It's not like LP's office, where they seem to treat hot dog day like it's taco Tuesday.

and I am making my homemade beans to go with it for the next one (next week)

Today is Doughnut Thursday so there's that too

we need some morale boostin as our beloved city manager's last day was yesterday and she was awesome - very concerned about the interim period and who they hire

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Walking through the neighborhood the other day I counted four houses! all currently having pools dug. I keep reading about bottlenecks in the pool industry right now. It seems like the hold up is probably because they entire labor pool of installers (no pun intended) is here in my neighborhood this summer.

It's kind of weird that few people have pools around here. In my exurban subdivision, there's one resident with a Cheektowaga-style above-ground pool, one with an inground pool, and that's it. Based on aerial photos of the 'burbs around here, pools are uncommon.

pool_sprawl_01.jpg

Drive two and a half hours to my hometown, and the situation is much different.

pool_sprawl_02.jpg

Yes, these two aerials are at about the same scale. In Upstate New York, suburban sprawl in the "soda" area takes on a low density New England feel, like what you might find around suburban Boston, Hartford, or Albany. In the "pop" area, suburban areas take on a denser Midwestern character; more like suburban Detroit or Chicago.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There are many hot, humid mornings where I wish we had a pool that I could jump into as soon as I am done running. Jumping into the pool immediately after a run is one of the things I enjoy most about visiting the inlaws in Florida.

If I run to the gym, I can take a route that makes it an exact 5k and once in a great while I would run to the gym and immediately jump into the pool (my goal was always to swim a few laps but I'm a horrible swimmer and I always ended up just playing around in the water) and then run home. Unfortunately, the pool at the gym is indoors and always way too warm so it just doesn't feel as refreshing as I'd want.

That is yet another reason that we are looking to get one. Problem is I am really having a hard time choosing to spend that much on something that was almost 1/2 the price two years ago.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We've been getting a number of spectacular sunsets the last couple weeks. The beauty of these, however, is tempered by the knowledge that they're largely the product of all the particulate matter from the wildfires out west.

1628183093336.png

Last edited:

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I heard the worst cover of Rhiannon (and maybe the worst cover of any decent song ever) on the muzak in a store. It was so bad I couldn't stop thinking about how bad it is and had to look it up:

Just awful. Sorry to foist it on all of you but desperate times...

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard the worst cover of Rhiannon (and maybe the worst cover of any decent song ever) on the muzak in a store. It was so bad I couldn't stop thinking about how bad it is and had to look it up:

Thanks for ruining a perfectly good lunch lol wtf

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made sweet tea at a church function yesterday. I was told that my sweet tea wasn't sweet enough. After polling some older southern women, I discovered that they use double to triple the amount of sugar that I use. I use 1 cup per gallon and they use 2 to 3 cups of sugar per gallon. I am convinced that there are southerners would favor sugar water with brown food coloring over actual sweet tea.
Champagne of the South. Two cups sugar per gallon is the standard.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

I really hope that Fleetwood Mac all come back together to kick her ass for doing that.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's kind of weird that few people have pools around here. In my exurban subdivision, there's one resident with a Cheektowaga-style above-ground pool, one with an inground pool, and that's it. Based on aerial photos of the 'burbs around here, pools are uncommon.

Drive two and a half hours to my hometown, and the situation is much different.

Yes, these two aerials are at about the same scale. In Upstate New York, suburban sprawl in the "soda" area takes on a low density New England feel, like what you might find around suburban Boston, Hartford, or Albany. In the "pop" area, suburban areas take on a denser Midwestern character; more like suburban Detroit or Chicago.
For living in a beach town, there are a lot of pools. It's an even mix of above ground and in ground pools. I have a 12' Intex Easy Set pool that we put up for summer. We will likely go the above ground pool route (probably a 12 x 24) in a year or two since my little is rapidly outgrowing the Intex pool and actually swims now. We also have very sandy soil which complicates in ground installations.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I really hope that Fleetwood Mac all come back together to kick her ass for doing that.

They're already together. Well, all except for Lindsey. And everyone hates him.

(Like seriously hate. The last show of theirs I worked a few years ago the crew had shirts that said "FU LB". The only other crew I've come across that hated the artist they worked for that much was J-Lo. Not popular with the roadies at all.)

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian

I issued a permit to lady name Rhiannon a few years back. I had to ask if there was a Fleetwood connection and there was; her parents were big fans. I jokingly said that there were worse Fleetwood Mac songs to be named after. She responded that I should ask her sister "Gypsy".

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I issued a permit to lady name Rhiannon a few years back. I had to ask if there was a Fleetwood connection and there was; her parents were big fans. I jokingly said that there were worse Fleetwood Mac songs to be named after. She responded that I should ask her sister "Gypsy".

post of the flippin day omg lol

no Sarah?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This is a Truck... (ie, new Ford Lightning)
1628253864991.png

This is not a Truck....
1628253844180.png

It reminds me too much of this....
1628253791630.png

or the evil spawn of these:
1628253936654.png
1628254026195.png

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I am already bracing myself for the level of obnoxiousness with which the Tesla Trucks will be driven. Like a hummer driver, but more self-righteous.

Reactions: kms

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want a Lightning very badly...

what is that? it sounds like something I want too or maybe I should have had breakfast before leaving the house and the vending machine is busted downstairs (curse you 1st floor people!)

and maybe I am just a little hangry here but wtf is up with people not recording subdivisions and then trying to pull permits a year later and not understanding why they can't pull them - it's in the decision to do all this crap wtf wtf wtf - I never saw this when I was a masshole but it has happened repeatedly in Maine - I know they want to wait until the last second for tax assessment purposes but now they have to start all over again! I am used to developers running, not walking, to the registry after getting their plans endorsed - this is just crazy crap!

oh man, I gotta stop (now I am laughing at myself)

GIF by Giffffr

michaelskis

Cyburbian