• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
My fellow Cyburbians:

As we welcome in a new year, we sadly say "goodbye" to an old friend and with the grin that made slackers famous, we welcome a new friend. :-D

The RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD has been part of our lives for many a post. The thread has given us reason to laugh, made us cry, once in a while encouraged a wink or two. Even though tagged with a RANDOM line, the thread was often not so "random". Cyburbians used it to test the waters on a thought and would, once in a while, create a thread with a central theme first posted on the Random Thread.

The original Random Thread will be quietly laid to rest. The ideas, thoughts, observations, complaints, shouts of joy, exclamations of disgust.....they will still be in the archived files. But we all know that time makes us forget, and there are many things that were shared in the original thread that time will HELP us forget. :-D

As we begin to fill this new (and exciting! :p ) thread with our "randoms", let's take a moment to thank all of those who contributed to the original thread. But more importantly.....let's roll out the red Cyburbian carpet for "newbies" and others to join us. We look forward to a better world.....jump-started on this 3rd day of January, 2007.....go forth and gather thy randoms. :-D :-D :-D

Oh yeah.....

Road trip.

Bear

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Wow Bear... I have to congratulate you for making the longest thread in the history of Cyburbia...

Now to keep on slackin! :-D

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Post-mortem:
The Top Ten from RTDNTOTO. I'll miss you ol' pal. **sniffles**

Who Posted?
Total posts: 13,141
User name ........... Posts
RichmondJake ..... 1,535
Zoning Goddess.... 1,296
zmanPLAN ............. 992
Budgie ................... 795
Jaxspra .................. 621
JNA ....................... 595
Bear Up North ......... 528
Rumpy Tunanator .... 442
Michele Zone .......... 425
Queen B ................ 397

jmac

Cyburbian
Does anyone else think this thread still loads very slowly??

Just kidding! :p Thanks for continuing the tradition. I promise to step up my slackerosity and fill this thing up. :-D

Queen B

Cyburbian
Glad to see I made it to the Random Thoughts List.:-D
I will do better. I must do better. I can get those numbers up. I know I can.:-D

natski

Cyburbian
Does anyone else feel this is like a fresh new start! Great for 2007!

Thanks BUN

Happy slacking with random thoughts people!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Post-mortem:

Who Posted?
RichmondJake ..... 1,535
Zoning Goddess.... 1,296
[snip]
Scary fact: RTDNTOTH 1 has more posts (13,140) than all of the Planning and the Built Environment subforums except Land Use, Zoning and Development Control (14,297 posts).

I think we'll cut this one short and start RTDNTOTH 3 on January 1, 2008. We'll try to exercise a bit more discipline and create new threads from RTDNTOTH posts with common themes where appropriate.

Whatcha' think, Billy?

Richmond Jake

I just made a curious observation: of the two posters, of the several posters, who often complained about and called for the closure of RTDNTOTO #1, one of them was the #9 ranked poster in RTDNTOTO #1 and the other was the first to reply in RTDNTOTO #2. :r: :r:

I’m trying to draw some conclusions…..

Coragus

Cyburbian
Post-mortem:

Who Posted?
RichmondJake ..... 1,535
Zoning Goddess.... 1,296
Rumpy Tunanator .... 442
I'm embarrassed with myself. The lowest total of the Top 10 posters in the first Non-Deserving thread is still higher than my overall total. I sincerely apologize for not keeping up my end of the Slack, "Bob"!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I just made a curious observation: of the two posters, of the several posters, who often complained about and called for the closure of RTDNTOTO #1, one of them was the #9 ranked poster in RTDNTOTO #1 and the other was the first to reply in RTDNTOTO #2. :r: :r:

Maybe it's like religious people figuring out which of the commandments are convenient to follow and which are not?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Here are some of my conclusions that several/many of the posts were -
PWI (Posting While Intoxicated),
Love American Style - Florida Edition, (there they go again)
Friday/Saturday Night Single Home Alone,
BUN's multiple randoms,
and
My favorite - My SAW responses.

Otis

Cyburbian
Post-mortem:

Who Posted?
RichmondJake ..... 1,535
Zoning Goddess.... 1,296
Rumpy Tunanator .... 442

But on a total words posted, wouldn't some of these rankings change considerably? Like, say, for instance, oh, I don't know, MZ? :) NTTAWWT.

I don't recall "routinely calling for the closure" of the first version of this thread. I do recall complaining a few times about how slowly it loaded and I do recall defending it at least once when others were criticizing it. How about if you two leave me alone. I am well aware you are both hostile towards me and feel perfectly fine about ganging up on anyone you don't personally like (and most of your friends also feel perfectly fine about joining in on your side, while the mods look the other way at such behavior). I haven't done a damn thing to deserve being called out and double-teamed just because Bear and Maister colluded in closing the other thread and opening this one. I had nothing to do with any of that.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

For the record.........
neither MZ, skel, or Bear had anything to do with the original thread's retirement. The thread was taking upwards of 30 seconds or more to load for many users and no technical fix appeared available to remedy the situation. Given that 'Random Thoughts' is the single most viewed and posted upon thread in Cyburbia, the mods knew the situation had to be remedied somehow soon. Based on previous user feedback it had become equally clear that 'Random Thoughts' has become a virtual Cyburbian institution - let's face it here more than any other single place on the website is where we get to know one another and help build that signature sense of community that Cyburbia has become so well known for. It was therefore necessary to find a way to allow users to experience reasonable performance while preserving the original idea that had become so successful. As FAC mod, it was I that ultimately made the decision to close the original thread and start a new one. I offered Bear Up North the honors (since it was his brainchild to begin with) to start the new Random Thoughts thread and he graciously agreed to do so. No one here has lost a thing - anyone who wishes may continue to view the original thread if they so choose and the collegial atmosphere continues to live on..... here - the only thing that has really changed is that your random thoughts may now be viewed without having to wait half a minute. If anyone wishes to express criticism or blame they may direct it to me.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well, well, well, well, well, well....well. Isn't this a fine beginning for another runaway thread? :-D

I had to retire a pair of dress pants yesterday.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
dude...

I need to keep up, obviously - considering how most of my thoughts are random, I need to put them out there more often!

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
As alluded to on another thread, I got a "Music From Buffy the Vampire Slayer" CD for Christmas. It's got alot of cool 'indie' sort of songs on it. I am totally hooked on the 3rd song "Bohemian Like You" by the Dandy Warhols - that is one shagable tune!

Planit

Cyburbian
This is one of the best ways I know to randomly slack since they don't allow beer in the workplace;)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I am totally hooked on the 3rd song "Bohemian Like You" by the Dandy Warhols - that is one shagable tune!
:-D you should listen to the rest of the Dandy's Thirteen Songs from Urban Bohemia and their other CDs.

they also are featured in the documentary DiG!!. good stuff!!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
i went home for lunch and the BF and puppy walked me back to work afterwards. as we were walking down main street we saw a group of middle-school-aged girls getting out of their parents car. all of the girls were wearing SUPER short skirts and knee socks. they were standing on the sidewalk so we had to squeeze to get by. as we passed the doggy stuck his nose up one of the girls' skirts!! :-| :w: :-$

zman

Cyburbian
Had to say it....

i went home for lunch and the BF and puppy walked me back to work afterwards. as we were walking down main street we saw a group of middle-school-aged girls getting out of their parents car. all of the girls were wearing SUPER short skirts and knee socks. they were standing on the sidewalk so we had to squeeze to get by. as we passed the doggy stuck his nose up one of the girls' skirts!! :-| :w: :-$
Was someone is heat? :-c :-x ;) :-D :-@ :-$ :a:

dontbanme

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
LadyBuc just informed me that I've been walking around all day with my polo shirt inside-out. :-$ Some days I just can't dress myself!

cololi

Cyburbian
I am single handedly empting the vending machine of swedish fish. They are delicious.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
I am single handedly empting the vending machine of swedish fish. They are delicious.
A sense of pride will sweep over you when you accomplish this goal...at least it did when I cleaned out the vending machine of Snickers with Almonds :p

zman

Cyburbian
Dear Bossman:

Let me work 4 -10s please. Or better yet 5- 6s.

Your Faithful Drone,

zmanPLAN

donk

Cyburbian
Dear Bossman:

Let me work 4 -10s please. Or better yet 5- 6s.

Your Faithful Drone,

zmanPLAN
Please provide me enough work to actually fill a 25 hour work week (we are supposed to work 35, have to have some time for slacking)

Today I worked maybe an 1hour, 1.5 hours tops. I have determined that the project sheets I fill out this year will be 100% truthful with respect to time spent on each task.

zman

Cyburbian
Please provide me enough work to actually fill a 25 hour work week (we are supposed to work 35, have to have some time for slacking)
We're swamped, the only reason I have been checking into the forums today is because I am absolutely burned out.

Come on out to Colorado if you want to work, we need to hire somebody, the beer and the biking are great! There are college campuses nearby with lots of single women. We've hired Canadians before too, so we're framiliar with the process.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Its amazing to me that people in the planning profession can say they have not enough work. In all of my positions I have always done the work of two to three full time planners and had way too much work. Slacking only because of burn-out.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Same Ole Randoms

Back Door Random.....You know, theoretically the savvy Cyburbian could continue to post on the original Random Thoughts thread. Simple.....just continue to change your SIGNATURE. :-D

Back Door Random 2.....If you have ever listened to the music from the opening of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.....you heard the Iggy Pop version of "Back Door Man". A great tune that demands to be played loud.

Four Day Work Week Random.....At my distribution center, I have pushed to go to a 4-day work week. It is a definite morale builder. My plan would keep our facility open 5 days a week, but we would have one group of employees working from Monday through Thursday and the other group working from Tuesday through Friday. Creative scheduling could even have schedules that move back and forth, so everybody would get a 4-day weekend every other week.

My co-owners haven't bought into this, though. I push for it for morale reasons AND the instant fuel cost savings for the employees. Unfortunately for me, my plan does not include these hours for Supervisory Staff, including this Bear.

Orange Juice Random.....I like orange juice.....especially the kind with a lot of pulp. Bad news here is, so does my step son. I came home from work and went to the 'fridge and grabbed the orange juice container......EMPTY! :-@ :-{

Yeah.....empty and put back on the shelf. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

Here Comes The Weekend Random.....First big weekend of the new year. Time to update Job Jar spreadsheets, do some tax prep work, re-arrange the boys :-c , sort my CD's, get more vinyl onto CD's. Rolling Rock will certainly be part of the equation.

Bear

Richmond Jake

As I predicted, today's mediation session extended into my cocktail hour. :-{ I haven't eaten dinner yet and have no clue what I'm going to make. Probably have to skip the dip into the hot tub tonight. :eek:|

But I did print my boarding pass for tomorrow morning. :-D

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its amazing to me that people in the planning profession can say they have not enough work. In all of my positions I have always done the work of two to three full time planners and had way too much work. Slacking only because of burn-out.
Hear-hear - me too - I am working in the wrong place I guess - :p :-o ;)

donk

Cyburbian
We're swamped, the only reason I have been checking into the forums today is because I am absolutely burned out.
Hear-hear - me too - I am working in the wrong place I guess - :p :-o ;)
I guess I must be "lucky", I have never worked someplace where I am consistently busy. However, due to my personality I am burnt out most of the time.

My first job, a few projects on the go at a time, and once I figured out the systems and developed templates, it was easy to cruise along.

Second job, would sit and wait for applications 3 weeks of the month, then have to crank everything out the other 2 weeks. Do the odd study, mostly to make work and keep busy.

Job 3, as with job 2, except the deadlines were every day due to the number of municipalities I had to work with (4) Most of the time was a low grade busy, mostly just a paper pusher. Was mostly busy becasue of antiquated by-laws, poor systems and a lack of delegated authority.

Job 4, my current employer, still waiting for it to get busy. Managment is unable to manage my time properly. I look at the work plan and can see train wrecks, tell them months in advance that maybe staff should be allocated better, then have to bust my hump to meet deadlines for 5 or 6 projects all at once. And no there is no way to spread the work out, other than by giving it to other people. Then get criticised for being "slap dash" in the way I work.

I don't tend to work hard, I prefer to work smart.

Richmond Jake

Finished the new zoning district text for our proposed airport this morning. Glad that’s over. It goes to it’s first public hearing before our planning commission January 18. Two more hearings at the Board after that. I might have some flesh left on my ass at the end of February. But(t) I'll have a hard time sitting. :-c

All my laundry is washed, dried, folded, and put away (except for a couple pair of pants hanging on the back of dining room chairs). Now I need to finish packing my travel bag for tomorrow. Wondering which t-shirt I should wear to the Bob Seger concert on Saturday night. I’m leaning toward the California Bear Flag number. :-D ;-)

Listening to Crash Test Dummies “God Shuffled His Feet” CD. (Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm.) I still like that CD. I didn’t know they are Canuckistanians. :r:

Hope I sleep better tonight. Up at 3:30 this morning. :-s

zman

Cyburbian
^^ The Dummies were from Winterpeg I thought, and further proof that Canadian singers sound funny... (i.e., Geddy Lee, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Avril Levigne, that dude from The Hip)

Tonight marked the final night of my late meeting trifecta! I quickly drove home to find Northern Colo. on TV playing hoops against East. Wash Univ. (and losing as usual) Now I am on the Cyb' because the office is cracking down on Internet slacking. (Although this can be work related). My menu earlier was a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale and an Obsidian Stout! :p

SNOW~! After two large storms dumped on the front range, it has begun snowing once again. This is the first winter in the rain shadow I remember where we may not see the ground until spring as there is three feet still in my yard. Perhaps this is Mother Nature telling me to stay in Colorado for a little while longer. This is Mski and Bear type of weather as word is there isn't much of a winter in their "neck".

A buddy called telling me about some beer he has left over from stockpiling for the Denver Blizzard, he also said he has a big gift pack of Wisconsin brats and other sausages. I quickly invited him up to the north country on Saturday. Hopefully he'll show. :a: :-D

EDIT: ...... and with that...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian

Oh is it curious that the old thread started having preformance problems for the incredible amount of posts in it? See this is why I always opposed bulking up the thread, not because I wanted to leave you without a place to chat and post random things, but to avoid the performance problems.

The second biggest thread in the FAC (The never-ending thread IIRC) was cut at 2000 posts mostly to avoid bulking up all the posts like the first RTDNTOTO did.

So now enjoy this new thread, and now you know it's going to close on NYD next year!

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Well, I will be starting job # 4 in my 8 year career history in a few weeks.

Goodbye 1 hour commute and big city!!! :-D

Hello small town I live 5 minutes from!!

It remains to be seen whether I will be allowed to post on Cyburbia :-o

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian

good luck at the new job!! is this a lateral move or up a step or two?

re: 4-10s
last summer (before i started) my town had a trial program where from May X to September X people were allowed to work 4 -10 hr days. if that were offered again this summer i would jump at the chance if we're allowed. i just don't know how that would work with night meetings etc. our PB meetings are monday night and often there are developers/petitioners submitting things on fri. for monday night. :-{

Budgie

Cyburbian

Sounds like a mirror image of my career path. A little bit of this... a little bit of that... now I'm in a place where I can make a difference and I find it very rewarding.. most days.:r: :)

Congratulations! :) :b: :8: :b: :g:

and, last: :c: (so you can sober up after celebrating, before going to work at your new job. ;))

Salmissra

Cyburbian

Congratulations!! :b: :b: :b:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your new gig and find the work rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.