• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
Originally posted by Bear Up North
My fellow Cyburbians:

As we welcome in a new year, we sadly say "goodbye" to an old friend and with the grin that made slackers famous, we welcome a new friend.

The RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD has been part of our lives for many a post. The thread has given us reason to laugh, made us cry, once in a while encouraged a wink or two. Even though tagged with a RANDOM line, the thread was often not so "random". Cyburbians used it to test the waters on a thought and would, once in a while, create a thread with a central theme first posted on the Random Thread.

The original Random Thread will be quietly laid to rest. The ideas, thoughts, observations, complaints, shouts of joy, exclamations of disgust.....they will still be in the archived files. But we all know that time makes us forget, and there are many things that were shared in the original thread that time will HELP us forget.

As we begin to fill this new (and exciting! ) thread with our "randoms", let's take a moment to thank all of those who contributed to the original thread. But more importantly.....let's roll out the red Cyburbian carpet for "newbies" and others to join us. We look forward to a better world.....jump-started on this 3rd day of January, 2007.....go forth and gather thy randoms.

Oh yeah.....

Road trip.

Bear
Happy 2019 everyone. Another year of random thoughts. Another year in the memory of BUN. The best of us keeps it going. Keep what's important at the forefront. Jobs can be replaced, family can't.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Happy 2019 everyone. Another year of random thoughts. Another year in the memory of BUN. The best of us keeps it going. Keep what's important at the forefront. Jobs can be replaced, family can't.
Well said and happy new year.

Gedunker

Moderating
Nicely done!

I’m thinking RTDNTOTO has nearly achieved Roman Numeral status -e.g., RTDNTOTO XIV. What do y’all think?

Planit

Cyburbian
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

I hope that your 2019 is better than your 2018!

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
Fireworks and gun fire until 2:30 this morning. :not:

Wine and cheese might be the most perfect breakfast on New Year's Day morning. ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Good Morning & Happy New Year. :)

Random Thought Progress Report

__________ 1000, _2000, 3000, _4000,_5000, _6000,_7000,_8000, _9,000,_10K,_11K, _12K, Closing #
#14 - 2019 -
#13 - 2018 - 03-16, 05-31, 08-10, 11-05, 12-31, 5,115
#12 - 2017 - 02-28, 05-23, 08-24, 11-28, 12-29, 5,096
#11 - 2016 - 02-09, 03-23, 05-12, 07-01, 08-18,10-12, 12-07, 12-31, 8,072
#10 - 2015 - 02-06, 04-06, 06-15, 08-14, 10-01, 11-29, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,570
# 9 -- 2014 - 01-31, 03-12, 05-21, 08-09, 10-21, 12-11, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,291
# 8 -- 2013 - 01-18, 02-12, 03-22, 04-22, 05-17, 06-20, 07-30, 09-16, 11-13, 12-19, 12-31, 12-31, 12,050
# 7 -- 2012 - 02-23, 05-12, 07-10, 09-12, 11-06, 12-06, 12-28, 12-31, 12-31, 9,327
# 6 -- 2011 - 02-25, 04-12, 05-26, 06-30, 08-10, 10-05, 12-05, 12-31, 8,041
# 5 -- 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 11-24, 5,563
# 4 -- 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 12-31, 5,004
# 3 -- 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
# 2 -- 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
adjusted by the 50 posts that were listed in #1 and posted on & after 01/01

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
First workday of 2019.

How do feel/react to a Monday on a Wednesday ?

Nice short week at work.

Hink

OH....IO
Glad you guys got us past 5k. We are a good bunch of folks.

So... it is 2019.... how about that?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
2019 sounds very much like the "Future". And many of us are over 40 years old now.

Back at work....should do work.
Years ago I remember thinking "wow, 1977, sounds so futuristic!" Then of course 2000 sounded uber futuristic too. That is, until it got oversaturated through all the talk back then of the much-feared global Y2k calamity.

AG74683

Cyburbian
2019 sounds very much like the "Future". And many of us are over 40 years old now.

Back at work....should do work.
There was a video game years ago called "Timesplitters" and one of the levels took place in 2019 in "Neo Tokyo".

Maister

Chairman of the bored
There was a video game years ago called "Timesplitters" and one of the levels took place in 2019 in "Neo Tokyo".
There's an art to making plausible predictions for the future. The ones that predict big changes in short periods of time (like founding a new city) pose the greatest risk of making the prognosticator look like a fool later on.

I predict the technology to produce a sustainable controlled fusion reaction will exist in 2060.

DVD

Cyburbian
Fireworks and gun fire until 2:30 this morning. :not:

Wine and cheese might be the most perfect breakfast on New Year's Day morning. ;)
How is that different from any other day in Florida?

My prediction for the year is that we'll have a new president in a couple years.

Gedunker

Moderating
I generally don't attempt plumbing projects but decided I could try to replace my original toilet in my bathroom - you know, one of those monstrously inefficient 1960s era behemoths that flushes gallons of water needlessly down the drain. And, I did pretty much replace it successfully with a 1.28 gpf version that is chair-height and elongated. All should be happy and pleased, right? Wrong!

The issue? It leaks where the water supply connects to the hose leading to the tank. It didn't leak there previously, and I have no idea why it leaks there now. I'm thinking either there was a washer missing in the new hose, or I didn't tighten the connection tight enough.

Can Teh Throbbing Brian[SUP]TM[/SUP] suggest anything I might be missing?:-o

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Seems like there were more Cyburbian birthdays at the end of the year than comparable periods of time during other parts of the calendar.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I generally don't attempt plumbing projects but decided I could try to replace my original toilet in my bathroom - you know, one of those monstrously inefficient 1960s era behemoths that flushes gallons of water needlessly down the drain. And, I did pretty much replace it successfully with a 1.28 gpf version that is chair-height and elongated. All should be happy and pleased, right? Wrong!

The issue? It leaks where the water supply connects to the hose leading to the tank. It didn't leak there previously, and I have no idea why it leaks there now. I'm thinking either there was a washer missing in the new hose, or I didn't tighten the connection tight enough.

Can Teh Throbbing Brian[SUP]TM[/SUP] suggest anything I might be missing?:-o
Or you tightened the connection too much and squashed the washer so it doesn't work anymore. I've seen that happen. If that doesn't work, just get a new hose and try that out. I am fond of the braided steel ones. They seem to outlast the plastic ones by a long shot. I have a toilet in a bathroom I need to replace. It's probably from the mid '80s and it's a design I've never seen before. A lot of the tank hardware is built in, like actually molded in the ceramic. It's very weird. I'm afraid of doing it though because I am worried how awful it will be underneath (IE rotten joists, etc.).

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Or you tightened the connection too much and squashed the washer so it doesn't work anymore. I've seen that happen. If that doesn't work, just get a new hose and try that out. I am fond of the braided steel ones. They seem to outlast the plastic ones by a long shot. I have a toilet in a bathroom I need to replace. It's probably from the mid '80s and it's a design I've never seen before. A lot of the tank hardware is built in, like actually molded in the ceramic. It's very weird. I'm afraid of doing it though because I am worried how awful it will be underneath (IE rotten joists, etc.).
I have experienced the over tightening and it drove me crazy that it leaked because everything was tight. I learned the hard way that it is always worth picking up a thing of plumbers tape when you buy fittings. I find that when I use plumber's tape that I get the fitting is tight fitting and harder to turn so I tend to stop tightening it sooner. I have also learned that when you replace something like that is the time to replace the supply line.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have experienced the over tightening and it drove me crazy that it leaked because everything was tight. I learned the hard way that it is always worth picking up a thing of plumbers tape when you buy fittings. I find that when I use plumber's tape that I get the fitting is tight fitting and harder to turn so I tend to stop tightening it sooner. I have also learned that when you replace something like that is the time to replace the supply line.
I've started using the pipe dope over tape. It seems to fill gaps better and requires less tightening.

DVD

Cyburbian
Got a water bill the other day from my empty house in Kansas. Apparently I used 40,000 gallons in the last month. Figured a pipe burst so we sent the neighbor over to check it out. No leaks, no broken pipes. At this point I'm betting the water meter went bad. I know it's rare, but an empty house shouldn't use that much water.

Gedunker

Moderating
1. It is a new braided steel supply line purchased at the big orange box yesterday. The old rigid supply line didn't reach the tank, so I had to make a last minute run.
2. Definitely not over-tightened. I know enough to avoid cracking porcelain or mashing washers, etc. But moreso, it's in a location that's difficult to reach and my arthritis certainly prevents me from going all Superman on it as I hand-tightened it.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Got a water bill the other day from my empty house in Kansas. Apparently I used 40,000 gallons in the last month. Figured a pipe burst so we sent the neighbor over to check it out. No leaks, no broken pipes. At this point I'm betting the water meter went bad. I know it's rare, but an empty house shouldn't use that much water.
40,000 gallons! My rental property was once billed for 12,000 after only having average usage of 1,200. I initially looked for a leak and then I quickly realized that it was a multiplier error on the new meter that they installed. A toilet running could use 40k.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Glad you guys got us past 5k. We are a good bunch of folks.

So... it is 2019.... how about that?
Congrats to the post padders on their uncontested accomplishment. :) I'll someday return on a NYE to make it more challenging...maybe this year...

Hink

OH....IO
So this is a pretty interesting video...

[video=youtube;ExgxwKnH8y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgxwKnH8y4[/video]

Planit

Cyburbian
Big props to mskis and his massive post-padding to RTDNTOTO14 thread going...and going...and going.

There were no battles this morning getting up or getting to school (or work for that matter). A good start to 2019!

DVD

Cyburbian
Banging my head over a zoning stipulation that requires "General conformance" with the plan submitted at zoning. We're generally pretty loose on that, but my call was it isn't compliant. Boss said it was approved earlier so we moved on. Now we need to see someone declaring it compliant and all I have is a past planner that didn't comment on it not being compliant. I need to bang my head on the wall for a while now.

kjel

Super Moderator
Happy New Year Everyone!

Gedunker get yourself some of that plumber's tape or pipe dope.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Happy New Year fellow Cyburbians.

After nearly 2 weeks off, and playing way too much Zelda Breath of the Wild with my daughter, it was tough getting out the door and to the office this morning.

Usually on the weekends or days off our oldest (who is 8-and-a-half) would still get herself out of bed well before 8:30 a.m. but suddenly started sleeping in until nearly 10:00 a.m. during the break. I was dreading waking her up for school this morning but she was surprisingly cheerful and easy going so I'll say that the year is off to a good start!

kms

Cyburbian
How does one hook up with some pipe dope?
I don’t think you’ll have much luck down there speaking the Queen’s English. Try this: “pssst. Hey buddy, ya know who can hook me up with somma dat pipe dope?” Remember to look quickly to the right and left to make sure no one’s on to you. Be cool. :h:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
After nearly 2 weeks off, and playing way too much Zelda Breath of the Wild with my daughter, it was tough getting out the door and to the office this morning.

Happy New Year Y'all from the left coast. After a week of having a switch, we got the dreaded blinking green light of death :-@

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Happy New Year fellow Cyburbians.

Usually on the weekends or days off our oldest (who is 8-and-a-half) would still get herself out of bed well before 8:30 a.m. but suddenly started sleeping in until nearly 10:00 a.m. during the break. I was dreading waking her up for school this morning but she was surprisingly cheerful and easy going so I'll say that the year is off to a good start!
I need to start back playing Breath of the Wild. I have been playing Stardew Valley with my daughter. I just read that there is a new Zelda in the works and it is rumored to use the same game engine as Zelda BOTW.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
It's usually easier to destroy something than it is to build.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
No video games over the holidays on my end, but I saw Aquaman, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins Returns, and Mortal Engines. I enjoyed them all for various reasons. One of those reasons being Jason Momoa of course. :p

AG74683

Cyburbian
I need to start back playing Breath of the Wild. I have been playing Stardew Valley with my daughter. I just read that there is a new Zelda in the works and it is rumored to use the same game engine as Zelda BOTW.
I have Stardew Valley for PC. I really like it, but my computer died a while back and I haven't touched it since then. Is the Switch worth the cost? I've thought about buying one, it seems kinda cool and the available games seem pretty good, particularly BOTW and Super Smash Brothers.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I have Stardew Valley for PC. I really like it, but my computer died a while back and I haven't touched it since then. Is the Switch worth the cost? I've thought about buying one, it seems kinda cool and the available games seem pretty good, particularly BOTW and Super Smash Brothers.
My kids have seemed to enjoy it. I didn't realize the extreme portability of the system until new years eve when my son took it with him to his room and he and his friend played in a tent for the evening.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm thinking about starting a top 10 things from google street in my town on my cube wall. So far I have a guy flipping off google and a chicken crossing the road.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Besides me, who else has toured the Mission San Juan Bautista, in California.

I got in as a senior citixen. ;)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Hmmm. I was expecting a picture of me in a tank top.

I really enjoy the Switch (oh, yeah, the kids like it too).

BOTW is addictive and awesome. My daughter really likes Splatoon (or Splatoon 2 or whatever it is). I've played it a few times with her and enjoy it but she always kicks my butt. We both liked Super Mario Galaxy and even though she's beaten it, she still goes back and plays that one because there is a lot to explore and Mario Kart is great and even my wife will play that one with us on occasion. I've heard Super Smash Bros. is a pretty great so I might get us that one this winter.

After watching my nephews play Fortnite on Christmas my daughter and I decided to download that when we got home (it's free!). We both just kept getting our asses handed to us though so we gave up. I'm half tempted to ask the 14-year-old next door to give me some secret Fortnite tutoring lessons just so I can randomly turn it back on one day and pretend I suddenly got good.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
My kids have seemed to enjoy it. I didn't realize the extreme portability of the system until new years eve when my son took it with him to his room and he and his friend played in a tent for the evening.
My wife and kids got it for me for my birthday. I don't know that I would have bought one otherwise because I have a Xbox one and other than platform exclusives like zelda and mario kart that I was covered. Like Raf said, the portability is the key. I don't have to monopolize the tv in the living room to play. I'd say even if I live alone, the ability to continue to play games especially like BOTW on the go is nice. Games on the phone are nice but it's not the same experience. Although, I will say that Stardew Valley's interface on the mobile version is neat as it auto switches between tools.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
After watching my nephews play Fortnite on Christmas my daughter and I decided to download that when we got home (it's free!). We both just kept getting our asses handed to us though so we gave up. I'm half tempted to ask the 14-year-old next door to give me some secret Fortnite tutoring lessons just so I can randomly turn it back on one day and pretend I suddenly got good.
I have played it occasionally. I suck at it; however, I did place 2nd once completely by dumb luck. I envision that on the rare occasion that I do get a kill that the player is some 11 year old kid living in the Midwest and as result he is crying to his mother that I cheated.

DVD

Cyburbian
I am not feeling the work vibe today. Getting things done, just not feeling it.