• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
One of my cameras is now just saying it detects motion basically every 15 minutes even though nothing is there. I think it might be detecting sunlight off the soffit when the trees move. It didn't have issues yesterday because it was cloudy.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like your place is the reason for hacky sacks. You use them to get to odd parts of the neighborhood, not like mine where they just made circles of hacky sacks for fun.
Not sure if you saw my earlier comment. I used to live in that subdivision on the straight portion of Sandra Circle.

Small, small world.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
See Dan's post above for the reasons why the overuse of cul-de-sacs when not really necessary are problematic, at best.

Also, the 'hate' of them by some is more a knee-jerk reaction than a reasoned understanding of the pros/cons.
Hi, my name is michaelskis, and I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. We have 11 homes and 15 kids that live on our cul-de-sac that are all about the same age.

I don't hate cul-de-sacs but I do work to prevent their overuse and limit the length whenever possible.

DVD

Cyburbian
Not sure if you saw my earlier comment. I used to live in that subdivision on the straight portion of Sandra Circle.

Small, small world.
I remember you said you grew up near me, but that's awesome that it's right around the corner from where I live now. I grew up about a mile west of this place.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember you said you grew up near me, but that's awesome that it's right around the corner from where I live now. I grew up about a mile west of this place.
We lived in the same neighborhood you do for about a year. The rest of the time we lived just north of Thunderbird between Greenway and Black Canyon Highway.

DVD

Cyburbian
We lived in the same neighborhood you do for about a year. The rest of the time we lived just north of Thunderbird between Greenway and Black Canyon Highway.
That would be where my friends dad lived and where one of my kids friends lives now.

Thanks to AG rotisserie flavored candy canes are coming up in my amazon feed.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Comes with the territory of being one of a few actual practicing urban planners in r/urbanplanning.
I unsubbed a while back. 90% of the content was oh-so-edgy circlejerking about superstar cities and the evils of suburbs, cars, America, gentrification, and zoning. The horse has long been pulverized,

Planit

Cyburbian
Is there a variety pack in the flavored canes. I can’t justify buying an entire box just to have 2 or 3 licks.

I guess I could make my own variety & send them to my brothers & secret Santas.

Clam, Rotisserie Chicken, Pickle & ???

DVD

Cyburbian
Milkshake idea canceled due to a high volume of customers on a Friday at 3:30. Plus that one guy showed up. We all have that guy. Never has an easy project to approve. Always some kind of variance or you just can't do that involved. Needless to say I am not pleased. Oh well, I'll just look forward to pizza at home later.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oil change for my vehicle and my wife’s vehicle. It is crazy how expensive this is, but it is a great preventative measure.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Oil change for my vehicle ...It is crazy how expensive this is, but it is a great preventative measure.
Same here - 1 yr old Honda Civic w/ only 5K miles. Finally the oil quality indicator dropped to 10 % meaning time for an oil change.
Agreed with the cost - more labor than oil.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It is crazy how expensive this is, but it is a great preventative measure.
Dude, it's not preventative maintenance. It's regular maintenance. Unless you own a vehicle that's powered by a Chrysler Slant Six, you gotta' change the oil at a regular interval -- 3,000 miles (5,000 km) if you're anal, 5,000 miles (8,000 km) at the most.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Where in the US would you recommend for vacation if you child likes the beach/ocean but your spouse is part vampire and hates a lot of direct sunlight?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Where in the US would you recommend for vacation if you child likes the beach/ocean but your spouse is part vampire and hates a lot of direct sunlight?
Cape Cod? Lake Michigan shore in Michigan? Jersey Shore?

Maybe the Gulf Coast of Florida, like Sarasota or Naples? It always seemed cloudier over there than on the Atlantic side.

Anyone ever notice that Two and a Half Men is on all the damn time on some channel?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I would recommend the Jersey Shore, specifically Long Beach Island, because I have a 45 yr bias.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Hey! Dont think I forgot about yall.

Lots going on. Havent "been a planner" for the past 4 months now. It feels good! But momentous changes are abound soon.

Montreal bound in less than 2 weeks, Lots been going on!! Had to delay my Departure from July due to broken Volvo 240 induced temporary car-lessness and cashlessness. Such is the old Volvo life, I have a 1987 Wagon now ;) NY Historical plated for the time being.

Sorry for not seeing your messages anyone who PMed me this summer! Sh!*s been cray cray, ill explain in another post after the big move.

@WSU: If you want to talk Diesel Mercedes, get at me for my digits, I love talking all things W123/W124/W114/W116.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sunday Newspaper ads inserts - It's that season -

1/2 page for tree hunting stands, 1/2 page of game trail cameras & 2 pages of halloween decorations

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Our local newspaper is doing stories on people who have had the newspaper for 30 years or more. I find this funny because it seems like they are trying to get readership by doing this. No one is reading the newspaper, so why would this cause new people to read the newspaper? Because some old guy reads it?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Our local newspaper is doing stories on people who have had the newspaper for 30 years or more. I find this funny because it seems like they are trying to get readership by doing this. No one is reading the newspaper, so why would this cause new people to read the newspaper? Because some old guy reads it?
I think it's more about 'retain' than getting new readers.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think it's more about 'retain' than getting new readers.
So because Bill has been a subscriber for 30 years you should keep paying for it? I just don't see the value proposition I guess. Maybe if they were writing solid articles and had interesting news items people would pay for it. Having negative stories and really poor overall writing quality is why people aren't buying the paper, not because Gerald, who has been getting the paper since 1952, hasn't shared his story.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My dishwasher leaked last night. It wasn't a massive leak at least. It did get into the hardwood and swell up a board or two. I doubt that will come back down but my floors in the kitchen are basically crap anyway. I think it came from the top instead of the bottom, I saw no obvious signs of water after I took off the bottom plate to look underneath. I had a bowl on the top that was in contact with this spinny wheel thing that I think throws out water from the top. My guess is that the wheel wasn't able to move and the water pressure built up enough to leak out from under the seal. I hope it didn't do any lasting damage though, I can't get to that part of the dishwasher without taking the entire thing out.

I used my homebrew cider making kit last night. I guess I'll see if it's any good in about 20 days.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So because Bill has been a subscriber for 30 years you should keep paying for it? I just don't see the value proposition I guess. Maybe if they were writing solid articles and had interesting news items people would pay for it. Having negative stories and really poor overall writing quality is why people aren't buying the paper, not because Gerald, who has been getting the paper since 1952, hasn't shared his story.
The intended appeal/value is likely on two levels: 1) give someone their 15 minutes, which is perceived as a reward; and 2) a (weak) attempt at creating a sense of 'family' among subscribers.

In other news, who here knows or has ever met a juggalo?

TOFB

Cyburbian
I brought my mom's Sunday paper in for her from the porch. I was shocked at how small and insignificant it was.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My sunny island, of course - as it has beaches and mountains and local beer so something for everyone - and my fair city nearby has a children's museum!
I would second this. MDI would be perfect for that kind of trip. Although while they have beaches I truly have no idea how anyone can handle water temp! I stuck a foot in the water in August and it almost froze and broke off!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I brought my mom's Sunday paper in for her from the porch. I was shocked at how small and insignificant it was.
One of the things I miss is leafing through a newspaper, especially the Sunday Chicago Tribune. You could blow an entire afternoon and it be time well spent. By the same token, I now prefer ebooks over print books. The print type for regular books, especially paperbacks, has gotten so small it's hard to read with my iffy eyesight. I miss the tactile sensation of reading print books and papers, but I can adjust the font for both. Ebooks take up less space plus don't fade and yellow over time.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I had to download a new scanner app since CamScanner evidently housed malware for a while without telling anyone. I realized that Google Drive saves literally EVERYTHING so I had to spend a long time deleting things.

The Adobe Scan app isn't as good as CamScanner I think.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One of the things I miss is leafing through a newspaper, especially the Sunday Chicago Tribune. You could blow an entire afternoon and it be time well spent. By the same token, I now prefer ebooks over print books. The print type for regular books, especially paperbacks, has gotten so small it's hard to read with my iffy eyesight. I miss the tactile sensation of reading print books and papers, but I can adjust the font for both. Ebooks take up less space plus don't fade and yellow over time.
I like leafing through the paper still too but these days, the only one that seem to be worthwhile is the Sunday New York Times (the Chicago and LA papers are still good on a Sunday too if I can get them). Every couple of weeks or so in the fall and winter I'll pick up the Sunday NYT and sit in front of the fireplace and go through the entire thing section by section. If I tried that with the Detroit paper I'd be done in about 35 minutes.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My wife and I realized this quite soon after moving to Chicagoland. We both were amazed by the high number of sunny days in NE IL versus anywhere in the MI LP, especially in winter.
The grey days aren't just limited to LP, NI had plenty of grey days as well. We would go days, and at times weeks, without seeing the sun during winter.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The grey days aren't just limited to LP, NI had plenty of grey days as well. We would go days, and at times weeks, without seeing the sun during winter.
Yep. Likely due to the same meteorological reasons for the grayness in MI.

In northerly/westerly Chicagoland, there aren't the same dynamics and clouds blow in/out more quickly.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Anyone attended the California APA conference next week in SB? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yep. Likely due to the same meteorological reasons for the grayness in MI.
I grew up in Buffalo and it says they don't have that many sunny days a year, but I don't remember it being that gray. I didn't mind the gray days; much easier to deal with than the relentless sun here in Texas.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I grew up in Buffalo and it says they don't have that many sunny days a year, but I don't remember it being that gray. I didn't mind the gray days; much easier to deal with than the relentless sun here in Texas.
The only time the gray days bothered me was went they stretched into weeks. The rest of time, you simply just didn't see the sun.

DVD

Cyburbian
I like that my meteorologists get confused by partly cloudy days like the big storm is coming and are very adept at using a thesaurus for the term hot and dry.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I found out I have something called "hitch hikers thumb" today. I was not aware my bendy thumbs aren't normal.