• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Our cat puts her toys next to us while we are sleeping, as "presents." She'll often sneak them under the blankets or pillows. I'd love to set up a camera to see her sneaking a toy under the blankets. . . I bet it would be really cute. I think she was a tooth fairy in a previous life, because she's good at sneaking the toys in without waking us up.
Just found a toy mousie in my daughter's bed linens. 😻😺

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'd never heard the term "trash panda" before, but it does seem to describe raccoons to a tee.

I've heard pigeons referred to as "sewer falcons." Any other animals have cute-derisive nicknames like these?

Reactions: JNA

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I've heard pigeons referred to as "sewer falcons."
You posted that back in 2012 in #3

AG74683

Cyburbian
Today is Wednesday. It is hot. That is all.
It's supposed to be like 93 here today. That just annoys me. I feel like September should't be that hot. Sam Adams Ocktoberfest is out and I want it, but I can't bring myself to drink it unless the temperature is at least below 70.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It's supposed to be like 93 here today. That just annoys me. I feel like September should't be that hot. Sam Adams Ocktoberfest is out and I want it, but I can't bring myself to drink it unless the temperature is at least below 70.
We're supposed to be up to 93 ourselves with 98 % humidity.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It was 99F here yesterday, hottest day in the past seven years, and perfectly miserable. Overnight only got down to 76F and it is a sticky mess, even inside our building. We're in a stretch of seriously hot weather and are supposed to go back to the upper 90s again in the middle of next week.

++
I've heard seagulls described as flying trashcans

AG74683

Cyburbian
Sometimes I don't even know if my boss listens to me. I asked him MONTHS ago if we wanted this applicant to submit a text amendment request even though we were going to change the ordinance ourselves. He said "yes, have them initiate it". So I did.

Now, a week before the public hearing after 4 months of work on this, he can't understand why we have two amendments instead of one. I decided the best thing to do was just not even bring up the fact that this was HIS idea in the first place and I didn't think we needed to bother having the applicant apply. Now I have to redo my entire agenda packet information and figure out how to consolidate two amendments into one before noon. I wish I had gotten his comments in writing on it. The only email I have is my own to the applicant telling them that "the County Manager has requested you initiate the amendment".

I just decided I'm not going to ask his opinion on things like this anymore. I'll do it my way and if he gets mad so be it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was about 90º here yesterday and very muggy. I got home from work and changed and my wife and kids called me into the backyard where they ambushed me with water balloons and then I turned the hose on them. We ate dinner outside and it was nice and there were no bugs but 90 minutes later my oldest and I were playing tennis and being eating alive by flies and mosquitoes.

It's supposed to be nearly as warm here today and the humidity was already through the roof this morning.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's supposed to be 92F today after two weeks of pleasant weather in the low 80s and low humidity. Summer's last hurrah I suppose.

Someone in my office deemed Tuesdays a trivia game and set up online trivia. I was out in the field between meetings so I played on my phone, 10/10 in 67 seconds. When I got back to the office they told me that I wasn't allowed to play in the money pool :roflmao:

Planit

Cyburbian
DOT does not seem interested in returning phone calls or answering emails, but by gawd when they ask for something you better get it to them immediately!

AG74683

Cyburbian
DOT does not seem interested in returning phone calls or answering emails, but by gawd when they ask for something you better get it to them immediately!
I am extraordinarily blessed to have a fantastic DOT team here. Our district guys respond to emails and phone calls within a few hours. The district engineer (or rather former, he switched districts) even gave out his cell number and we could reach him basically at any time.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My kids don't really recall a time were weren't at war in Afghanistan. They are 20 and 22 years old.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Real email received yesterday:
Goat Rodeo.JPG

First, WTF is a goat rodeo? 2nd.. after this email I went to the gym. Had my apple watch on the bench as i was changing, dude knocked it down and cracked my screen. Yea.. thanks buddy.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are regulating short term rentals, folks, as a renter myself, I will say to not have it go into effect any less than 6 months, especially if you are disallowing them or sunsetting them anywhere because people usually book vacations at least 6 months in advance - so if you make them cancel, you are going to have a lot of unhappy visitors

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
If you are regulating short term rentals, folks, as a renter myself, I will say to not have it go into effect any less than 6 months, especially if you are disallowing them or sunsetting them anywhere because people usually book vacations at least 6 months in advance - so if you make them cancel, you are going to have a lot of unhappy visitors
Regulations were adopted in June. We aren't kicking anyone out, but we will fine the s**t out of you. Plus this has been a year in the making.

AG74683

Cyburbian
There is an entire empty side of the parking lot. Clearly the full side is for employees, I mean why else would there be a car in every single spot but one?

Yet where does this guy park? In the ONE staff spot left. His permit will take several days to issue.

EDIT* Wait, I guess it belongs to some new guy. Who drives a white Ford Transit van as a daily driver?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
'The' Ohio State University loses its three-letter trademark bid
O... S.... Who?

THE coffee this morning is quite enjoyable and I hear that THE weather this weekend might not be all that great. Maybe I will plant THE plants that I have been wanting to get to before I watch THE college football games on Saturday. THE oldest might also have baseball practice at THE local field at some point. THE score of THE game they played last night against THE other team was very lopsided.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There was a power line down on the way home from my daughter's rock climbing gym last night so we took a detour through a residential area. I was surprised when the first and second roads I turned down turned out to be dirt roads, and one of them was actually a divided boulevard! This is in a fully built out inner-ring suburb of nearly 60,000 residents. I've found a few other dirt roads in this city over the years when I've been out running but it still always surprises me.

Planit

Cyburbian
Had an appointment with a local curmudgeon to show him a city owned piece of property. He asked for the appointment and the time. I waited for 30 minutes & he was a no show.

He'll have some lame excuse and then be pissed when I won't drop everything to meet him at that moment.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I ordered a set of new seals for my dishwasher. I think it's leaking from the bottom right corner of the door. Appliance parts are so weird. Some parts are super expensive when they shouldn't be, others are dirt cheap but should be expensive.

Here is an interesting car conundrum I've run into. My Jeep will completely shut off while sitting still. It does this ONLY at McDonalds. No where else. I've let it sit in various parking lots, the garage, anywhere, and it won't do it. But at McDonalds, it will. It's happened to me twice now. What do? I feel like this is a perfect question for CarTalk.

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a dead raccoon on the sidewalk in front of my house this morning. I called Animal Control, hopefully it will be gone before I get home. Otherwise it will be my husband and the neighbor putting it in a bag to be picked up with the trash tomorrow. I'm not touching it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Here is an interesting car conundrum I've run into. My Jeep will completely shut off while sitting still. It does this ONLY at McDonalds. No where else. I've let it sit in various parking lots, the garage, anywhere, and it won't do it. But at McDonalds, it will. It's happened to me twice now. What do? I feel like this is a perfect question for CarTalk.
I'm going to say coincidence. Does it start again? Do you have to wait several minutes?