• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
The food inspector girl is all upset because she saw some event a school was having advertised on Facebook and decided to get involved. I guess the school is all pissed about her involvement now.

Pro tip - do not read things on Facebook. If you do, ignore them. It's not your problem until someone (IE, not YOU) makes it your problem. Plausible deniability is a thing until you have open contact with the event holders. :r:

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Why is "Dress Like a Meme Day" a thing? Do we really need to have meme games? I don't get it.

Pass me my wooden hoop and stick.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Is Jojo Siwa like Peewee Herman? This is confusing to me.

AG74683

Cyburbian
So the finance department got a new employee. She came from the health department and moved upstairs. I never really saw her in the health department because I avoid that area for reasons.

Anyway I saw her yesterday and was impressed. Her best friend is the Clerk so I asked her to put in a few good words for me. She called today (the Clerk) to give me her number. SO, how long should I wait to send her a message?
Woof, so this was a disaster. I ended up messaging her last night. Within the first 2 messages she had both mentioned my ex that she used to work with in the Health Department (confirmed giant B which I am glad I know now) AND told me about her ex who is A)40 something years old (she's in her early 30's), B) extremely violent, C) the father of her two kids, and D) she met when she was 19 and he was in his 30's.

SO yeah, I don't think that's a promising outlook. She does seem like she might just need someone to talk to so I'll probably keep up with her for that reason. I don't see it going anywhere "romantic" but knowing more people can never hurt I suppose.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I had never heard of susu or tanda until last night. It's an informal type of bank or really like a "loan club" whereby each member pays a set amount in a certain time period and each one eventually get's the "pot". If you go first it's more of a loan and if you're last it's more of a savings plan. I'm assuming some of you had heard of it but I honestly had no idea about it. I just found it interesting.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had never heard of susu or tanda until last night. It's an informal type of bank or really like a "loan club" whereby each member pays a set amount in a certain time period and each one eventually get's the "pot". If you go first it's more of a loan and if you're last it's more of a savings plan. I'm assuming some of you had heard of it but I honestly had no idea about it. I just found it interesting.
That sounds like a tontine, which I only learned about because of the Simpsons episode "Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in 'The Curse of the Flying Hellfish'".

MD Planner

Cyburbian
That sounds like a tontine, which I only learned about because of the Simpsons episode "Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in 'The Curse of the Flying Hellfish'".
A tontine is actually a bit different because everyone gets an annuity and the last survivor gets the remaining amount. A susu is for a set period of time and set amount.

DVD

Cyburbian
Official legal training is done. I have learned that I can't be sued for crap or something like that.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The food inspector girl is all upset because she saw some event a school was having advertised on Facebook and decided to get involved. I guess the school is all pissed about her involvement now.

Pro tip - do not read things on Facebook. If you do, ignore them. It's not your problem until someone (IE, not YOU) makes it your problem. Plausible deniability is a thing until you have open contact with the event holders. :r:
A former fire inspector used to constantly scour book of faces looking for illegal businesses. All the ones that required my involvement would have festered to the surface sooner than later. I prefer waiting for complaints but addressing them when he discovered them allowed me to throw him under the bus. I always told them that our fire inspector discovered it on facebook. He didn't like being thrown under the bus but it didn't stop him from doing it. The replacement fire inspector doesn't do that.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You ever notice how they talk about a lot of different stuff?

AG74683

Cyburbian
A former fire inspector used to constantly scour book of faces looking for illegal businesses. All the ones that required my involvement would have festered to the surface sooner than later. I prefer waiting for complaints but addressing them when he discovered them allowed me to throw him under the bus. I always told them that our fire inspector discovered it on facebook. He didn't like being thrown under the bus but it didn't stop him from doing it. The replacement fire inspector doesn't do that.
She still hasn't learned her lesson. Today she was over here talking about how one of the restaurant owners she went to see today said they were going to do renovations to the store. And?

I've made fun of her all day about Facebook. I told her I read on Facebook that Steve McGillicutty was cooking pancakes on the side of the road and selling them and she should probably go shut them down. She's all upset because she feels like people "don't want her to do her job". Your job is to enforce things you know about, not constantly seek things out yourself. If some idiot wants to eat hotdogs from a man cooking them on a grill out of the trunk of his car and then gets sick, that's just natural selection. No joke, that was a real thing that happened.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
She still hasn't learned her lesson. Today she was over here talking about how one of the restaurant owners she went to see today said they were going to do renovations to the store. And?

I've made fun of her all day about Facebook. I told her I read on Facebook that Steve McGillicutty was cooking pancakes on the side of the road and selling them and she should probably go shut them down. She's all upset because she feels like people "don't want her to do her job". Your job is to enforce things you know about, not constantly seek things out yourself. If some idiot wants to eat hotdogs from a man cooking them on a grill out of the trunk of his car and then gets sick, that's just natural selection. No joke, that was a real thing that happened.
She must have only seen the first 1/4 of Hot Fuzz, then modeled her professional conduct after this guy:

hot fuzz.jpg

DVD

Cyburbian
Email sarcasm and sad emojis are not the best way for residents to respond to the information we send them.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan

AG74683

Cyburbian
Found the planner Bitmojis!
I really want a denied stamp that's on the end of a large hammer or gavel. So I can physically smash the plans. I think that would help me quite a bit.

This is an actual news headline for today: "Mark Ronson isn't sapiosexual after all and apologizes for identifying as such". 1) Who is Mark Ronson? 2) What is a "sapiosexual"? 3) Why is this news? 4) Why should I, or really anyone else for that matter, care about this?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
"sapiosexual?" Never heard the term, but I'm guessing the root here is 'sapiens' as in the name of our species. So someone that is sapiosexual is presumably one who is attracted to mate with members of one's own species (and not sheep, camels, or donkeys).

AG74683

Cyburbian
"sapiosexual?" Never heard the term, but I'm guessing the root here is 'sapiens' as in the name of our species. So someone that is sapiosexual is presumably one who is attracted to mate with members of one's own species (and not sheep, camels, or donkeys).
According to the article "a sapiosexual is someone who is attracted to intelligence and the human mind above other traits, including physical appearance and gender".

I see no reason why that needs its own term. Apparently sapiosexuals are a "marginalized community". The world is a confusing place.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
According to the article "a sapiosexual is someone who is attracted to intelligence and the human mind above other traits, including physical appearance and gender".

I see no reason why that needs its own term. Apparently sapiosexuals are a "marginalized community". The world is a confusing place.
Adding that to my 'what I learned today that I didn't particularly need to' list.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is it time to buy a new umbrella when I repair it by using multiple zip ties to attach the fabric to the ribs/stays ?

Does that prove how frugal I am.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This is an actual news headline for today: "Mark Ronson isn't sapiosexual after all and apologizes for identifying as such". 1) Who is Mark Ronson? 2) What is a "sapiosexual"? 3) Why is this news? 4) Why should I, or really anyone else for that matter, care about this?
  1. Mark Ronson is easily one of the greatest pop music producers of the past 20 years (and he's a pretty good musician and DJ in his own right) - he's one of those people that even if you haven't heard of him, you've definitely heard some of the music he's produced, written, composed, played on, etc
  2. I don't know and don't care
  3. It shouldn't be
  4. I don't think we should

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I think it goes back to the root sapiens which means wise or intelligent. It's being sexually attracted to someone's intellect. Evidently it's a real thing, though it does give a new meaning to f!@#%&*( someone's mind. Both my ex and my ex fiancee are very smart. It's one of the things that attracted me initially.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I have heard of a MIck Ronson who played guitar for Bowie and Lou Reed - Transformer.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Has anyone cold smoked things? How does one cold smoke something?

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
This punk working historic preservation once told me that a project review I'd done "lacked rigor". You feel? Lacked rigor. So when I bumped into him the next month downtown, I cold smoked his ass. You better believe I did.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Summing up the risks
We have covered a lot of information regarding the risks of cold smoking. Let’s sum it up.
  • Cold smoked food is not cooked, and is essentially kept in the temperature “danger zone” for bacterial growth while it is cold smoked.
  • Parasites that may have been present in the meat are not killed by the cold smoking process.
  • The risk of botulism or listeria is particularly high when cold smoking sausages and fish.
  • People who are immunocompromised, such as those who are chronically ill, frail aged or pregnant, are advised against consuming cold smoked meat products..

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This punk working historic preservation once told me that a project review I'd done "lacked rigor". You feel? Lacked rigor. So when I bumped into him the next month downtown, I cold smoked his ass. You better believe I did.
OMG that is one of funniest things posted EVAR!:roflmao::roflmao: (I am literally LOL'ing to the point I'm getting looks from coworkers). Stop it ursus, you're getting me in trouble ! If you don't, I will fly over there and stone cold smoke your sorry ass!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

OMG that is one of funniest things posted EVAR!:roflmao::roflmao:
You should probably just lock this thread now and make everybody start over from scratch on Monday.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Oh God. Reading the line about how it "opens up flavor possibilities", while looking at the long list of risks, is like reading the justification for unpasteurized milk ("It's natural and tastes better, maaaan"), even though the risks (it could kill you) far outweigh any perceived benefits.

Has anyone tried dry shaving with a safety razor? How about using Feather blades in a vintage Gillette Red Tip? If you think wet shaving is manly, you haven't tried shaving like a Marine. In boot camp. Being punished for laughing at the drill sergeant.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Oh God. Reading the line about how it "opens up flavor possibilities", while looking at the long list of risks, is like reading the justification for unpasteurized milk ("It's natural and tastes better, maaaan"), even though the risks (it could kill you) far outweigh any perceived benefits.

Has anyone tried dry shaving with a safety razor? How about using Feather blades in a vintage Gillette Red Tip? If you think wet shaving is manly, you haven't tried shaving like a Marine. In boot camp. Being punished for laughing at the drill sergeant.
Poser!

:actually: There are no drill sergeants in the Marines. We have Drill Instructors!

...and I did get punished for laughing at them on multiple occasions. I was always horrible at keeping a straight face.

Now excuse me while I go drink some raw milk with my lunch.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Not to try to come off as some sort of hard azz who's ready to cold smoke some loser at the drop of a hat...but yes I routinely dry shave with a safety razor. The advantage of this practice is that it saves time because you don't have to dink around with applying shaving cream beforehand, rinsing while you shave, and then having afterwards to wipe off the residual cream. In other words, it saves precious seconds every day. The only minor drawback is that it is frequently painful. But, hey, it's only pain we're talking about here. And that doesn't really signify for anything, right?

So who is up for some caber tossing this weekend?

Image result for caber toss weight

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm having a moment where I wish I hadn't called someone to ask a few questions, because their answers are now going to create a lot more questions on my end, that I don't have answers to. 🤦

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
pumpkin man 2.jpg

In addition to all the other things that I do in lieu of working, or actively listening to people, I doodle. This particular doodle is in honor of the approach of October. I'm thinking about blowing it up as a poster to use for Community Planning Month instead of the boring drivel available from the APA.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
So who is up for some caber tossing this weekend?

Image result for caber toss weight
holy eff balls! You totally shed light on the names within the subdivision i grew up in. They are all scottish names. I just never put 2 and 2 together until this very picture and your comment.
Scotland, highland, kilts, caber. Yea, I am an effin genius.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
holy eff balls! You totally shed light on the names within the subdivision i grew up in. They are all scottish names. I just never put 2 and 2 together until this very picture and your comment.
Scotland, highland, kilts, caber. Yea, I am an effin genius.
Image result for golf clap gif

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
"sapiosexual?" Never heard the term, but I'm guessing the root here is 'sapiens' as in the name of our species.
It seems like every discrete wavelength in the human sexuality and gender identity continuum has to have its own label now. Unlike other labels, the term "sapiosexual" has a lot of critics. From a Daily Beast article:

A person who likes writers is not a scribosexual, a person who likes lawyers is not a jurosexual, and a person who loudly proclaims that they only date smart people might be dangerously full of themselves, but they’re not a “sapiosexual.” ...

Instead, “sapiosexual” seems to circulate primarily as a layer of pretension on top of a more traditional sexual identity. It’s a sexual orientation for people who think that they’re too smart to have a sexual orientation. ...

When even Tumblr doesn’t recognize your sexual orientation, you’ve got a problem. ...

A quick browse through OKCupid users who identify as sapiosexual in the New York area, for example, reveals some common themes: they’re young, they’re atheists, they live in Brooklyn, they list philosophical and theoretical texts as their favorite books. If you didn’t know what “sapiosexual” meant before browsing their profiles, you might conclude that it’s a term for the sort of educated millenial that you’d find in a coffee shop on a weekday afternoon.