• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
Another traumatic death today. That's 3 this week, which is pretty significant here. This one was an accidental shooting while someone was cleaning a gun. It went off, through the wall, and shot the owners brother somewhere right above the jaw. We got sent out for a landing zone but the patient passed away before we even got out of town.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Who's going to join me for some weekend posting? C'mon!

Is it too late in the year to plant grass seed? I planted seed in a rough spot of the lawn a month or so ago, but there's still some bare patches.

Here's a man being attacked by a wild pack of dogs.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I was going to work on getting my deglazed windows painted but it’s too bloody hot. Summer here has been brutally hot and dry. Thankfully this looks to be the last scorcher weekend. Here’s hoping:daydream:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This was our dinner on Thursday night. Just a big ass bowl of fries.

meal.jpg

Lazy Saturday. Went to the Apple Harvest Festival, had a cider donut and gourmet mac & cheese, and picked up a few things at Wegmans, THE BEST SUPERMARKET ON EARTH!

How good? It inspired a high school musical.

And now I'm on the couch, watching Lifetime movies with the Mrs. I might need to go to Harbor Freight to bring my testosterone bevels back into balance.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ah, Dan...it's a Saturday in September. College football on Line 1 for you.
No Big Red home games this weekend to see in person, so let's check the guide.

Northwestern v Wisconsin
Texas Tech v Oklahoma
Clemson v North Carolina
Ole Miss v Alabama
Virginia v Notre Dame
Delware v Pittsburgh
Iowa State v Baylor
Minnesota v Purdue
FAU v Charlotte

Ole Miss v 'Bama gets my vote. Always a good game.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Thoughts...

it was nice that Michigan showed up to play football yesterday. It would have been even better if it was on TV here... but I understand that we are not in the market.

Wife and I went to a nice restaurant last night, I was disappointed with the lack of flavor in the steak.

I believe that all too often in life, we know what to do, but we don’t do it because of fear, not wanting to get out of our comfort zones, a lack of desire, or because the actions would be inconvenient. In the end, success of hard things are just in the other side of not wanting to do something. When the end result becomes more desirable than the current situation, then we will change. Until that happens, we will stay the same.

Our consult who is writing our new regulations is a great planner, but is horrible with deadlines and being responsive. We more than 7 months behind in getting this wrapped up and we are hitting a really hard deadline. For the past week, he has been more or less non-responsive and our council and PB wants to know why they don’t have the complete draft yet. So I got in a City Vehicle and drove the hour to his house since he works from home. The next morning the full draft was uploaded to the share drive. I don’t think he expected me to show up at his house mid afternoon on a Friday, but it needed to happen.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Dan said:
5) Got a new razor today. A 1966 Gillette Slim adjustable safety razor.
Anyone who shaves using any other method than dry shaving with a dulled, rusty butter knife is a girlie man!

Image result for girlie man

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thoughts...

it was nice that Michigan showed up to play football yesterday. It would have been even better if it was on TV here... but I understand that we are not in the market.
We went to the game on Saturday and about halfway through the 3rd quarter, my FIL turned to us and said he was ready to leave whenever. Blowout on either side, we've never seen him willing to leave before the final play! It was a pretty boring game but, even though it was a little drizzly, the weather was pretty nice. Even if she isn't a big football fan (yet) my daughter did enjoy seeing Rutgers fail to score a single point. When she was a kid my wife went to nearly every home game with her parents and the only other time she can remember her dad agreeing to leave early was some game against PSU back in the early '90s when it was hailing basically the entire time and the water was flowing down the steps in the stadium like Niagara Falls. We were at dinner after the game when my wife brought up that one and my FIL was laughing, reminiscing about it saying that it was hailing (to the Victors?) so hard that if the team's offense was on the field, the defense would be waiting out of the elements in the passageway to the locker rooms.

Wife and I went to a nice restaurant last night, I was disappointed with the lack of flavor in the steak.
If I am out to a fancy restaurant, I'd almost always rather order seafood or some sort of fowl dish instead of most steaks unless maybe I want a filet mignon.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm currently cancelling CenturyLink service to my house. Goodbye garbage internet.

EDIT* I've now been on hold for an HOUR. This is absurd.
EDIT 2* AN HOUR AND A HALF. AG'S GETTIN ANGRY.
EDIT 3* Well I hung up. I have a meeting at 11:30. Whoever answers when I finally do get someone will have a bad day.

As for steak, always order steak at a restaurant as rare. That way if they overcook it (which almost always happens) you have a medium rare steak instead of nasty medium.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I never order a steak at a restaurant. Mostly because I can cook it myself and do a better job of it.
Outdoor on a grill, maybe. Inside, we don't have a prosumer range with a grill, and nothing comes close to the temperatures that a restaurant grill can achieve. I'll take a restaurant steak over a kitchen steak any day. The exception: Greek diners. They seem to use USDA utility grade meat, and cook it in a dollar store pan over an electric stove.

DVD

Cyburbian
The secret is an induction stove with a cast iron pan, but I still prefer a good grilled steak.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I reverse sear on my smoker. It works really well and tastes really good.

With that said, I usually get the filet at restaurants that are of any quality. Outback and Longhorn have meats that they claim are steaks. If you go there and order such meats, you should expect to get whatever it is they call meat.

If I go to say St. Elmo's or The Precinct, I will order my steak medium rare. I have found very few places that serve a proper rare steak without the middle being cold. If you can get me a warm center I am in. If you leave it cold, it is going to be chewy and I am out.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Outdoor on a grill, maybe. Inside, we don't have a prosumer range with a grill, and nothing comes close to the temperatures that a restaurant grill can achieve. I'll take a restaurant steak over a kitchen steak any day. The exception: Greek diners. They seem to use USDA utility grade meat, and cook it in a dollar store pan over an electric stove.
You seem to be quite familiar with the operational standards of Greek diners. I know this because I guess I frequent them as well. Do we need to start a Greek diner thread, so tightwad skinflints budget-minded diners like ourselves can compare notes?

Reactions: Dan

AG74683

Cyburbian
SO yeah, I don't think that's a promising outlook. She does seem like she might just need someone to talk to so I'll probably keep up with her for that reason. I don't see it going anywhere "romantic" but knowing more people can never hurt I suppose.
Well I guess we're going to try and get lunch together sometime this week. We shall see. I think she likes me though.

I'm trying to cancel CenturyLink again. Ugh.

zman

Cyburbian
Re: Steak

I got snowbound in Seattle on a business trip once. 1 inch of snow shuts down the airports pretty much and my short hop home got cancelled, with the pass closed too I could rent a car to get home.

I got a room at the DoubleTree near the airport for the night. I decided to treat myself and order a steak from the room service menu, with a glass of Cabernet. It was probably one of the best steaks I have outside my house (or maybe I was extra hungry from travel stress... not sure)

Last year, I got a Green Mountain (pellet) Grill. Doing a reverse sear on steaks has been one of my favorite ways. Let the meat smoke for an hour, until it reaches 110 degrees inside, then crank up the heat, do a quick sear. Down the hatch.

Dont forget about the Letterkenny boys:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I feel like if I started a company and the only add on I gave was a no questions asked warranty on my work for a year I would get a ton of business.

I cannot explain how angry it gets me when I call the landscaping company I just paid a fortune to put in plants / rocks / etc. to fix a rock that has fallen and get told that it would only be $100 for their time. I didn't put in a rock that won't stay in place after 3 months, you did. Maybe offer to come out and fix it for free... you know so I feel good about it and want to hire you again for the next project.

I understand that you can't just continue to maintain a project for someone forever. Those are not fair expenses on the business either. But I do think you could take some damn pride in your work and make sure the customer is happy and that the product is doing what you said it would do...

Planit

Cyburbian
Happy October.
It's dirndls dress time.
and lederhosen,
and Oktoberfest,
and postseason baseball (didn't see that one coming did you?)

DVD

Cyburbian
Happy October.
It's dirndls dress time.
and lederhosen,
and Oktoberfest,
and postseason baseball (didn't see that one coming did you?)
Okay, so now I'm picturing Planit at a ball game wearing lederhosen with a beer in his hand and of course he has the feathered hat and whatever game it is, it's not the Braves.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Tell me information about my property! What do you mean you don't know everything about my property... you are the government?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Re: Steak

Dont forget about the Letterkenny boys:
Lately, I've dispensed with pepper on my nice steaks when grilling at home and simply let them get to room temp, pat dry and liberally season the exterior with salt.

A good cut of beef doesn't need much prepping.

I can't remember the last time I bought a steak at a restaurant. Once you perfect your own methods, it much cheaper and more accurate to grill steak at home.

Plus, when I do go to restaurants, I seek out dishes with more 'value added'. Something that is truly not cost or time effective at home, like a good reuben sandwich or a heavily loaded veg/meat/cheese omelette, etc.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I love when famous couples split that they put a photo of them together with a photo shopped "split" down the middle of them. Will it be a lighting bolt? What about a paper tear? Man I just don't know what I like more....

I do wonder what hope any of us have in our relationships if Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott can't make their beautiful love work.... err something like that.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I brought in a ham and cheese sandwich on a really really fresh onion roll. I have been looking forward to it since I decided on it last night and I've been fighting the urge to eat it since about 9:30 this morning. It better live up to my expectations!

It was a pretty good sandwich.

9/10
Will make again tomorrow

AG74683

Cyburbian
I do wonder what hope any of us have in our relationships if Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott can't make their beautiful love work.... err something like that.
There are plenty of other eligible bachelors available on the Billboard Rap charts. She could also take a look at the NBA. Her sisters might have some recommendations there.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is there a high demand for pickle forks ? or even for olive forks ?

Who owns both ?

If you do, do you keep them separated from other utensils ?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Is there a high demand for pickle forks ? or even for olive forks ?

Who owns both ?
We own olive forks. Or maybe they are pickle forks. Is there a difference? There were a few of them in the fancy old set of serving ware that belonged to my great aunt and were passed on to my grandma and then to our oldest (because she shared the same middle name as my great aunt's last name, so my grandma gave her all of her sister's stuff). Now I want to pull all those forks out and see if there is any difference between them. I think there are 3 or 4 in the set. Maybe two are for pickles and the other two are for olives?