• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
oh man - I said the wrong thing by accident at lunch today at this conference with 2 councilors sitting right there - off color one liner - can't believe I did that wtf :spicy::cry::einstein::alien::extinguish::ob::wf:
Better check social media to see if anybody posted / repeated it.

DVD

Cyburbian
I found a sandwich and I want to know why there was no mayo on it!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
If I cook onions and garlic for dinner my fingers smell like them for the next day. And I wonder why people at work stay away from me most days..... ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If I cook onions and garlic for dinner my fingers smell like them for the next day. And I wonder why people at work stay away from me most days..... ;)
You say that like it's a bad thing.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I cook pretty regularly, 3 times a week at least. I bought THIS thing and it works surprisingly well.

I found a channel on YouTubeTV that had a marathon of ER episodes last night. I watched a bunch. I forgot how good that show was. I could actually understand maybe a third of what they were talking about too.

We are currently in the process of constructing a central high school and a career and technical education facility. Apparently we are the first in the nation to centralize all these educational facilities. We will have one central high school, an early college, a career and technical education facility, and a community college all in one single centralized location. I find it hard to believe that we are literally the ONLY one to do something like this.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Cold nights make me want to sleep in until 11:00. Especially when Wednesday night is the first night without a meeting and the first nice chilly one as well. Now at work it's like I'm tired all over again, even after a really great night's sleep.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cold nights make me want to sleep in until 11:00. Especially when Wednesday night is the first night without a meeting and the first nice chilly one as well. Now at work it's like I'm tired all over again, even after a really great night's sleep.
While it wasn't cold last night, it started to rain around 7pm and cooled off dramatically from yesterday's high of 92 to around 55. I slept so well and didn't want to get up this morning.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
We are currently in the process of constructing a central high school and a career and technical education facility. Apparently we are the first in the nation to centralize all these educational facilities. We will have one central high school, an early college, a career and technical education facility, and a community college all in one single centralized location. I find it hard to believe that we are literally the ONLY one to do something like this.
I think any statement that begins with "we are the first in the nation" has to be followed up with "that we aware of". With that said I don't know of any of those four elements at that location. We have a early college high school, career and techinical facility, and community college all on the same site.

AG74683

Cyburbian
What condiment goes with a salami sandwich? I found out yellow mustard is not exactly the best.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What condiment goes with a salami sandwich? I found out yellow mustard is not exactly the best.
I like yellow mustard with salami, but I would likely go with dijon or honey mustard instead if you want mustard. Salami in my head is an Italian sandwich style meat so I would suggest Italian dressing or oil and vinegar.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Miracle Whip and maybe Dijon mustard, or even a spicier German mustard, like Lowensenf.

DVD

Cyburbian
Like Owl said, that you know of. Most of these things I find out it's just a technicality. Our local high school has a massive trade school and offers basically the same stuff, but our community colleges are not on the same campus. Usually it's just a teacher providing the college level work or something like that.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think any statement that begins with "we are the first in the nation" has to be followed up with "that we aware of". With that said I don't know of any of those four elements at that location. We have a early college high school, career and techinical facility, and community college all on the same site.
Like Owl said, that you know of. Most of these things I find out it's just a technicality. Our local high school has a massive trade school and offers basically the same stuff, but our community colleges are not on the same campus. Usually it's just a teacher providing the college level work or something like that.
They have actually done not one, but two different studies on this. Like actually researched to find out just to confirm that they are the first. They literally hired a company to do this, just to prove a point I think.

Is cream cheese a weird condiment to have with salami?

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm hungry for cake with chocolate icing for some reason...might have something to do with the banner, but I'm not sure.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I actually like yellow mustard on a salami sandwich but some sort of brown spicy mustard or beer mustard are good too. Better yet, go for salami and onion on a bagel with cream cheese and skip the mustard altogether!

My dad used to have a bagel with salami and cream cheese for lunch all the time and I always thought it was the most disgusting thing and then I tried it and realized it was an awesome combination.

AG74683

Cyburbian
"Would rather talk by phone" is code for "I do not want a record of this". Nope. Sorry bud. (disclaimer, unless you're Donald Trump).

I will try the salami sandwich with spicy mustard.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Just to add, this guy is the same one who purposefully misrepresented himself at least once before. He was the PD at a county next door, and sent me an email asking about a use someone had proposed over there and asked how we'd permit it. Turns out the use was never proposed there, he was actually working as a consultant for the business and they were actually looking here the entire time. No surprise, but his departure from that county as the PD was not his idea. No clue what happened there, but word on the street is that it was a very sudden situation (IE they found out he's basically a scumbag). The current PD said he was doing a lot of questionable stuff there. Funny enough, his "phone call" involves a determination about watershed regulations that we ALL enforce. They submitted a proposal that calculated density completely wrong, knowing full well what the state regulations are and our own. I told the DEQ guy the same, and said it might be worth taking a look at any previous approvals he did there considering that it appears he either has a tenuous grasp on the law or just willfully ignores it.

I am riding along with the EMS folks on Saturday. Kind of nervous about that.

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a request recently from a local naysayer. I gathered the info the next day and sent him an email that it was available in our office for pickup.

The packet stills sits on our desk some 3 months later.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have a lunch date with new girl in finance, the one I talked about previously. Hope it goes well.
Soooo I think it went well, but it's always hard to tell these things. I did learn that I'll probably need an extra plane to carry all the baggage though! She's very nice and seems like it might be worth that.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Soooo I think it went well, but it's always hard to tell these things. I did learn that I'll probably need an extra plane to carry all the baggage though! She's very nice and seems like it might be worth that.
By the time we reach our late 20's/early 30's there's no such thing as people without baggage. The only question is quality and quantity of baggage.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
and if the wheels work
Really there's only one way to find out if that's the case, and that's to haul it all the way to the plane's boarding gate.

And even then the contents of the baggage might still be suspect. After all, more than one person with bad designs has slipped by TSA's sharp eyes and gotten bad things on board and hidden them in the overhead compartment.

AG74683

Cyburbian
By the time we reach our late 20's/early 30's there's no such thing as people without baggage. The only question is quality and quantity of baggage.
Well she has a court date coming up. Why? Because of a restraining order violation against her ex, who is also the father of her two kids. He apparently broke into her house the other week, threatened her, and attempted to break her phone. So yeah, that seems slightly risky.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You should have just as much baggage as them, in my opinion. A bit less is okay, a bit more is okay, but if someone is not used to carrying a lot of weight, do you want to burden them with a heavy load, or vice versa? Of course, you can help carry their baggage when they're tired. However, if someone else gave her a few fully loaded suitcases and took off, it's up to you to decide if you want to carry them.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This is how I feel right now after meeting with the consultant to is writing our code for the past 6 hours...

brain-full.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Another consideration with regard to baggage is does it match or is it a mishmash coming from multiple sources.

Some baggage has a large zipper all the way around and opens up displaying all of its' contents, while other baggage has multiple pockets and pouches all over than conceal their contents and are not obvious at first glance.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another consideration with regard to baggage is does it match or is it a mishmash coming from multiple sources.

Some baggage has a large zipper all the way around and opens up displaying all of its' contents, while other baggage has multiple pockets and pouches all over than conceal their contents and are not obvious at first glance.
some bags are really duffles, some bags look like only a CIA agent could open them, and most are just all black and you can't tell one from the other

AG74683

Cyburbian
So off of the baggage topic, why are is the Almond Joy not the Mounds bar? The Mounds bar doesn't have mounds, unless you could the actual thing being a mound. The Almond Joy has mounds, they are the almonds.

I think I prefer the Almond Joy to a Mounds, and I definitely prefer it to something like a Snickers. It's lighter and you can taste all the flavors separately.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've always jumped between Butterfingers and 3 Musketeers. Damn Halloween is getting close. Time to consider raising the dad tax.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So off of the baggage topic, why are is the Almond Joy not the Mounds bar? The Mounds bar doesn't have mounds, unless you could the actual thing being a mound. The Almond Joy has mounds, they are the almonds.

I think I prefer the Almond Joy to a Mounds, and I definitely prefer it to something like a Snickers. It's lighter and you can taste all the flavors separately.
Off the candy bar topic, I find Tabasco sauce is far superior to Texas Pete. Frank's is not bad, but it does not the aged quality that Tabasco has. I don't think that anything quite meets up to it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Off the candy bar topic, I find Tabasco sauce is far superior to Texas Pete. Frank's is not bad, but it does not the aged quality that Tabasco has. I don't think that anything quite meets up to it.
Tabasco is leagues better than Texas Pete. Texas Pete is pepper water. Tabasco has real flavor.

IMO the best Mexican hot sauce is Valentina.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

I immediately started singing this jingle

AG74683

Cyburbian
I immediately started singing this jingle
I feel like Mounds/Almond Joy really over extended their reach with that commercial. Those two aren't candy you make advertisements for. They are the kind of candy you forget about for years until you're at the checkout line in Tractor Supply and see it on the end cap with other long forgotten candies of yesteryear. They aren't cool like a Snickers, or hip like Skittles or Starburst.