• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I got an unsolicited The Vermont Country Store catalogue. It has winter type clothes in it, amongst other thinks. I don't think they paid attention to my address. Winter lasts about a week or two here. :r:

DVD

Cyburbian
It's Indigenous People's Day! because screw the Columbus guy. What did he ever do for us? Except maybe start the flood of people coming over here. Oh and the whole genocide thing.

School's out
Work's in. So Monday.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Article - the history of the holiday
Working on Columbus Day? It depends on where you live

Tennessee officially does so too, but on a completely different day – the governor can, and routinely does, move the observance to the Friday after Thanksgiving, to facilitate four-day weekends

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Meanwhile, the news from Nigeria.

I have Columbus / Indigenous People's Day off today. Or at least I think I have the day off. With so much activity here today, I hope I didn't play hooky by accident.

Fellow NYS residents: are you at work, or at home?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Schools in session.
Work in session.
No Columbus Day shenanigans here.
First time in about 12 years that I've had to work on Columbus Day. An old friend of mine from college recently took a job as a Fed contractor (for the CDC, I believe), and is apparently raging on the BookFacePages about the horror of a Federal holiday celebrating Columbus (as he works for the Feds and takes the day off).

Planit

Cyburbian
dvd - I just sent your picture to a bike advocate I know. I can't wait for his response because it will be classic!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Just read an article about a young lady who tried to live a day like it was the '80s in NYC. It's a hilarious article and also reminder on how much things have changed. Disclaimer, I was in school for about 90% of the 80's, so the whole yuppy thing wasn't relevant.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The year is 1975 - what's for dinner tonight?

Swiss steak (prepared in the pressure cooker), cubed potatoes, and (canned) green beans, with lime jello topped with Cool Whip for dessert.

Recipes that defined the 1980's.

DVD

Cyburbian
The year is 1975 - what's for dinner tonight?

Swiss steak (prepared in the pressure cooker), cubed potatoes, and (canned) green beans, with lime jello topped with Cool Whip for dessert.

Recipes that defined the 1980's.
He's just trying to get a thread split, don't fall for it!!!

I'm going to say there must be green bean casserole and pineapple upside down cake. Damn, I fell for it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Home canned sauerkraut cooked with sausages with a side of bread and a glass of water.
This would have been the standard meal in 1975 if we were visiting grandma (except the sauerkraut probably wouldn't have been homemade)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
This would have been the standard meal in 1975 if we were visiting grandma (except the sauerkraut probably wouldn't have been homemade)
It was at least once a month at my home. Then again, my mom would pack me braunsweiger and cheese sandwiches on white bread with mayo for my school lunches.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
+2

I've not eaten a braunsweiger sandwich since.

Cream chipped beef on toast was another gross special in the 70s.
And let's not forget chicken ala king, or worse, 'steakums' :puke:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
And let's not forget chicken ala king, or worse, 'steakums' :puke:
I still enjoy the occasional Steak-um! My wife had never had them and I bought them once a few years back and heated them up to put on a hot sandwich but she wasn't impressed. We always have a carton in the freezer and that's often my go-to lunch on the weekends if I am home alone - A couple Steak-ums on a hoagie bun or an onion roll with some swiss cheese, a sliced onion, and some creamy horseradish. Who needs to go to Arby's when you have that in your kitchen!?!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved Chicken ala King, Hamburger Helper, except when my Mom used Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup as hat was nasty.

Tuna casserole was horrible

pot roast in a pressure cooker or beef stew in a pressure cooker - I loved the sound when I was a kid and I can still hear it in my head

My Mom rushed into the dinner out of a box or a can like crazy as she didn't like to cook and, being a child of the depression and my Dad a WWII Vet, they loved the modern conveniences of it all

Loved the Ambrosia Jello salad too

easy-ambrosia-salad-recipe-no-text.jpg

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved Chicken ala King, Hamburger Helper, except when my Mom used Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup as hat was nasty.

Tuna casserole was horrible

pot roast in a pressure cooker or beef stew in a pressure cooker - I loved the sound when I was a kid and I can still hear it in my head

My Mom rushed into the dinner out of a box or a can like crazy as she didn't like to cook and, being a child of the depression and my Dad a WWII Vet, they loved the modern conveniences of it all

Loved the Ambrosia Jello salad too

View attachment 46920
Let us not forget Chun King canned Chinese food. https://culinarylore.com/food-history:chun-king-chow-mein/

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Pot roast in a pressure cooker or beef stew in a pressure cooker - I loved the sound when I was a kid and I can still hear it in my head.
I used to love that sound too.
Just remembered another Sunday evening staple: roast beef seasoned/cooked with a packet of onion soup mix.

Image result for roast beef onion soup mix

Let us not forget Chun King canned Chinese food. https://culinarylore.com/food-history:chun-king-chow-mein/
Vintage Chun King ad

Interestingly, I used a can of La Choy Chinese vegetables in a stir fry a couple days ago.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
As long as you're all posting about old-timey food, here's a selection of restaurants in the Buffalo area from 1970. The restaurant scene in Buffalo wasn't much different in 1980. And 1990. And today, in some areas. ROAST EVERYTHING! Check out the phone numbers for the Blacksmith Shop, George & Eddie's, and the Syracuse Restaurant. Also, so much dancing, dining, and listening pleasure.

Something else interesting about the restaurant list -- all but a few are in the suburbs or Ontario. Today, the vast majority of the region's high end and more contemporary restaurants are in the city itself. You only go to Canada for "real" Chinese food, and it's not as much of a thing as when the border was more porous.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Remember when the tornado leveled the Holiday Showcase? My brother was working at Town & Country at the time and watched it slam into the Showcase.

As far as 70s food goes: Fried bologna and onion sandwich. When I worked a summer at Cheektowaga Town Hall I used to walk over to the Forks Hotel and buy a fried bologna sandwich with chips and a drink for about $3.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Holiday Showcase just closed last year! A few others were still around into the 1990s and early 2000s -- Old Red Mill, Deli Place, Cavalier, and The Prime Rib.

The "for your [X] pleasure", "your host: [some Italian-American guy]", shrimp, surf-and-turf, "inns" and "hotels", smorgasbords, phone numbers starting with T, organs and trios, and businessman's "luncheons" are deep, deep Old Buffalo. The list is from 1970, but wasn't much different than what you'd find in 1960 or 1980. "Suburban cleeyasy" style restaurants like those lasted well into the 1990s, with some holdouts still around today (Classics IV, Protocol, The Grapevine, anything with "Hotel" or "Inn" in its name).

There's a book about George & Eddie's, called The Last Fine Time.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Holiday Showcase just closed last year! A few others were still around into the 1990s and early 2000s -- Old Red Mill, Deli Place, Cavalier, and The Prime Rib.

The "for your [X] pleasure", "your host: [some Italian-American guy]", shrimp, surf-and-turf, "inns" and "hotels", smorgasbords, phone numbers starting with T, organs and trios, and businessman's "luncheons" are deep, deep Old Buffalo. The list is from 1970, but wasn't much different than what you'd find in 1960 or 1980. "Suburban cleeyasy" style restaurants like those lasted well into the 1990s, with some holdouts still around today (Classics IV, Protocol, The Grapevine, anything with "Hotel" or "Inn" in its name).

There's a book about George & Eddie's, called The Last Fine Time.
Check out those 1970's prices - all you can eat smorgasbords for a dollar and some change! Also nice to know that Master Card and Diners Club cards are honored at several different establishments in town. I don't see BankAmericard being honored at many places, though.
Image result for bankamericard

Dan, is it possible that newspaper item dates back to the 1960's, as opposed to the 70's? I mean the whole alpha-numeric phone # and the $1 meal prices seems low even by 1970's standards (I recall a local restaurant ran a special throughout the 70's that almost sounded like a jingle: "spaghetti and wine for two twenty nine")

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Which Cyburbian is waiting to be notified so they can purchase this

Warner Bros. Photorealistic Excited Buddy the Elf Inflatable Holiday Decoration

No, it is not me - I don't have a lawn or a balcony.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
My mind is busy, and my hands are more busy. Why can't my feet keep up?

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Which Cyburbian is waiting to be notified so they can purchase this

Warner Bros. Photorealistic Excited Buddy the Elf Inflatable Holiday Decoration

No, it is not me - I don't have a lawn or a balcony.
I MUST HAVE IT! I MUST!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dan, is it possible that newspaper item dates back to the 1960's, as opposed to the 70's? I mean the whole alpha-numeric phone # and the $1 meal prices seems low even by 1970's standards (I recall a local restaurant ran a special throughout the 70's that almost sounded like a jingle: "spaghetti and wine for two twenty nine")
It's from 1970. Really. The Buffalo area has a reputation as being behind the curve for a lot of things, and it was very pronounced before the region's "great reawakening" around 2010.

A bit of context: in 1960, the Buffalo area finally got nationwide direct dialing, and seven digit phone numbers. It was the last major metro in the United States to make the switch from six digits. Buffalonians held on to their alphanumeric phone numbers with an iron grip. The dial card of our home phone (note the singular) had the alphanumeric format. I remember seeing alphanumeric numbers in print as late as the late 1970s, but by then it was an oddity.

These ads are all from 1970. Really

screenshot 5.jpg

screenshot 1.jpg

screenshot 3.jpg

screenshot 2.jpg

screenshot 4.jpg

Bonus: a car ad you'd only see in Buffalo.

screenshot 10.jpg

They really weren't too concerned about political correctness in 1970.

screenshot 11.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
View attachment 46930
The larger question is why is Ted smiling?

View attachment 46923
Holy carp! $9 to get a new muffler installed?! $15 for a complete brake job? Get the time machine fired up! (and no one start up with all the "adjusted for inflation, those prices are roughly equivalent to what you'd pay in 2019...." crap)

View attachment 46924
Again with the nostalgic prices: 20 grand for a three bedroom ranch?! Also love how they identify the property by the parish; can't do dat no more.

View attachment 46926
Nice. Use of the phrase "handyman's special" before it became an ugly cliché.

Dan said:
They really weren't too concerned about political correctness in 1970.
View attachment 46931
I seriously doubt many dagos, krauts or spics were offended by the ad back then.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A followup: in the 1970s and 1980s, the cable system in Buffalo carried some channels from New York City. I remember the commercials on those channels often used alphanumeric phone numbers.

212_alphanumeric.jpg

Bonus for @kjel

nj_got_it.jpg

True. I can still remember my grandmother's old phone number with leading alphas.
TF2-4630 for my grandma. It was printed on the dial insert.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
How can everyone's child be advanced and above average?

It is my one day off this week and I am cranky. I work the next 6 days. 😳

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How can everyone's child be advanced and above average?
Garrison Keillor said:
Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

That's freaky about the alphanumeric phone #'s in Buffalo clear into the 70's. I'm aware we had an alphanumeric phone # in the mid 60's when I was an infant/toddler, but have no actual recollection of it.