• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Well, sometimes trying to figure out settings on a new vehicle can be a bad thing. Turns out Ford has this 'my key' thing... my truck only came with my key and I accidentally turned my key on, and now I can't go faster than 80. Not a big deal under normal situations but it chimes when I hit 75 which is a common speed on the freeway.

I have also learned that the only way to turn it off is with the other key (which I don't have) or take it to a dealer and pay a couple hundred dollars for them to reset it. Not a really happy camper at the moment as I am trying to find another option.
There isn't an associated app that would let you change settings maybe?

We now own two Chrysler Town & Country minivans outright (2016 & 2008).
Actually, no. Not at all.

(Although we rented one for a trip and it was very utilitarian; I like the way the seats fold.)

You know you're in Texas when you're at a gas station, and you're the only one there not driving a truuuuuuuuck.
Fixed it for me. This is especially noticeable since I'm 6-2, 240 and drive a Fiat 500.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There isn't an associated app that would let you change settings maybe?
There is one guy who made an app and a modified OBD 2 connector that will allow you to use your phone as an admin key, which will then let you clear out all the keys. Only problem is the app is android only and I have an iPhone. I am also looking to see if I can find a way to use the app using a windows laptop.

I think that am going to need to contact the local ford dealer and buy a second key for it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
And yet, if you put icing on brownies I'm back in. Now I would argue they are now cake, but cake is better than cookies.
Frosting (especially white) on brownies is the best, agreed.

Is it cake? No. It's a frosted brownie which is better than cake.

Now, in terms of the brownie v. cookie debate - depends on the cookie.

Fresh homemade cookies are about even with fresh homemade brownies, but a simple shortbread cookie is trash compared with pretty much any brownie (except brownies with nuts...ew).

The above is indisputable truth, because it is my fact and I have the best and huge brain.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Are folks going to hate on me if I do a sizeable split for a mid-century residential architecture thread? I've hired a few pollsters and a top notch PR firm to assist with the decision.
Do it.

Something like this may get some good Google juice if you give it an appropriately 'searchable' key word title.

Planit

Cyburbian
Are folks going to hate on me if I do a sizeable split for a mid-century residential architecture thread? I've hired a few pollsters and a top notch PR firm to assist with the decision.
I'm surprised you actually haven't done it before now...

Speaking of brownies, the last one I had was covered with vanilla ice cream and hersey's syrup.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frosting (especially white) on brownies is the best, agreed.

Is it cake? No. It's a frosted brownie which is better than cake.

Now, in terms of the brownie v. cookie debate - depends on the cookie.

Fresh homemade cookies are about even with fresh homemade brownies, but a simple shortbread cookie is trash compared with pretty much any brownie (except brownies with nuts...ew).

The above is indisputable truth, because it is my fact and I have the best and huge brain.
white frosting on a brownie is just wrong - personally I like brownies as is or as the base layer of a sundae but if it must be frosted, then chocolate only

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Nervous Maister's unhinged meltdown!

Note I will only be using DJT quotes to discuss this topic, from now on....

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer the wife's homemade brownies with no frosting. We're talking brownies from scratch, not that box crap. Super chocolaty.
does she use baking chocolate squares or cocoa powder?

RABID RANT ALERT: seriously it's almost 2020, why do people still type documents like it's a typewriter when it comes to formatting - as in using the space bar to set up indents, really? space bar to go to the next line? what is happening?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RABID RANT ALERT: seriously it's almost 2020, why do people still type documents like it's a typewriter when it comes to formatting - as in using the space bar to set up indents, really? space bar to go to the next line? what is happening?
We actually had applicants for our admin position do a typing test (business letter) so we could see how they formatted the document. If they used the space bar to format the page-centered date, DONG! Next! :ha:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish it was that simple, but the only key that I have is now a 'mykey' so the settings to clear it do not show up on the screen anymore.
Ugh that sucks. Clearly it's an issue given the amount of people searching for a solution.

The fob things always have weirded me out, I like having an actual key.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Guess what I get to deal with today....

staff said:
:actually: We can't change that, it's the way we've always done it.
I think I might have HR join me in this conversation....

Ugh that sucks. Clearly it's an issue given the amount of people searching for a solution.

The fob things always have weirded me out, I like having an actual key.
It is an actual mental key that goes into the ignition... it just flips out like a switch blade from the keyfob.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Went to the other building for our Benefits meeting. While there, my building had a fire alarm go off. Good thing the weather turned nice!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Went to the other building for our Benefits meeting. While there, my building had a fire alarm go off. Good thing the weather turned nice!
A false fire alarm at 3:30 on a Friday sounds like just the sort of thing to break up one's day and get through this last 90 minutes. It's sunny outside and 56.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mama always said you'd be the chosen one.

IMG_1749.JPEG

Every time I drive through the "that's where they dump the bodies" part of NJ, I notice a LOT of dump trucks on the highway.

My wife is from LA proper. She was behind the wheel when we hit the city. She said driving across midtown Manhattan is horrendous. When a Los Angeles native says the traffic sucks, while frequently letting loose with a stream of profanities that would make a Jersey dump truck driver blush, you know they aren't kidding.

IMG_1754.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Is there a rule that every business in New Jersey has to have "and Sons" in its name? Not to be all woke, but has there ever been a business in NJ called ... oh, Giordano and Daughters, or Calabrese and Daughters? Would Castiglione and Daughters Hauling and Dumping, Colangelo and Daughters Waste Disposal, or D'Agostino and Daughters Heavy Equipment Service find they're not getting much business because the business name isn't super manly? "A woman's place is in the basement kitchen!"?

Anyhow, still in NYC. Post-wedding breakfast today. (Not our wedding. We got married the Finger Lakes way, in out backyard.) E-ZPass locked and loaded for the drive back. Squish the Fish. Go Bills.

zurbanist

does she use baking chocolate squares or cocoa powder?

How about when 3 of our staff members still use a typewriter?! It drives me absolutely bonkers. I mean, 2020... there are label makers, there are printers. Why, WHY?! I have now refused to make our application folders because I refuse to use a typewriter as a millennial. :p @ursus please make it stop!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
How about when 3 of our staff members still use a typewriter?! It drives me absolutely bonkers. I mean, 2020... there are label makers, there are printers. Why, WHY?! I have now refused to make our application folders because I refuse to use a typewriter as a millennial. :p @ursus please make it stop!
I think typewriters are still useful for ...
  • Filling out carbonless duplicate and triplicate forms.
  • Filling out any form that isn't available as a .pdf
  • Addressing small numbers of envelopes.
  • Presentable correspondence when there's no electricity available, or where cybersecurity may be compromised.
  • The Amish.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mama always said you'd be the chosen one.

View attachment 46986

Every time I drive through the "that's where they dump the bodies" part of NJ, I notice a LOT of dump trucks on the highway.
That's Harrison in the foreground and Newark in the background. Looks like you were on the Turnpike.

It's an industrial area and the Keegan landfill is in Kearny, next door to Harrison. There is also a soil treatment and recycling facility in Carteret which is a couple of exits south on the Turnpike.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife is from LA proper. She was behind the wheel when we hit the city. She said driving across midtown Manhattan is horrendous. When a Los Angeles native says the traffic sucks, while frequently letting loose with a stream of profanities that would make a Jersey dump truck driver blush, you know they aren't kidding.
I dated a girl from Long Island for a few years and when we would drive up from NC to visit her family I liked to time it so that we would hit NYC after midnight but before about 5:30 a.m. so I could take the Holland or Lincoln tunnel and go across Manhattan when there would be very little traffic. It's such a different environment that time of day than it is after people start coming to work. If we hit the NYC area anytime other than late at night, we'd just take boring ole 278 through Staten Island and across the Verrazzano Bridge.

DVD

Cyburbian
So I'm watching a Star Trek Voyager rerun and I wonder deep thoughts like where do all the dishes go that get created by the replicator? I want tea, earl grey, hot, and it gives me a nice tea cup every time. What do I do with that teacup when I'm done? Is there a cargo hold with nothing but tea cups that they eject into space as trash before going to warp?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
So I'm watching a Star Trek Voyager rerun and I wonder deep thoughts like where do all the dishes go that get created by the replicator? I want tea, earl grey, hot, and it gives me a nice tea cup every time. What do I do with that teacup when I'm done? Is there a cargo hold with nothing but tea cups that they eject into space as trash before going to warp?
They put the dirty dishes back in the replicator and it 'dissolves' them back into the base material for reuse..

Seems pretty obvious to me and it should be to you too if you're watching a Voyager rerun as only 'fans' of Start Trek would do this. And such fans would easily know the correct answer to this musing. C'mon. :p

If there is going to magical technology, you have to assume that it's been fully thought through...beginning to end.

Last edited: