• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There was a conversation on here this past summer about student loans and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. I have a few different loans and have been verifying my employment every year as recommended. Because of some consolidations and changing of payment plans I wasn't expecting to be eligible for forgiveness on any of the loans until 2021 even though it would have been this year based on when I originally started paying.

Well, Saturday I received a letter from the Department of Education saying they did another review of my payments and I have now made the required 120 qualifying payments (actually 124 payments) for most of my loans and I should apply for forgiveness. One loan is still on track to be eligible in 2021. So today I submitted my actual application for forgiveness on those loans (you have to still be working for a qualifying employer when you apply for forgiveness) so hopefully I will hear back soon that they've actually been forgiven!

Over the years, my wife has kept suggesting that we just cut a check and pay off these loans (which covered nearly all of grad school and a bit of undergrad). It wouldn't be an insignificant amount to pay and I understand that we are fortunate that we have that option but I incurred most of this debt before I was married to her and I didn't want to use her money to pay for my poor planning. Combine that with the fact that the PSLF program existed and I had actually factored that forgiveness into turning down a private sector job offer a couple years ago and it all adds up to a nice feeling to finally apply for the actual forgiveness.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
There was a conversation on here this past summer about student loans and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. I have a few different loans and have been verifying my employment every year as recommended. Because of some consolidations and changing of payment plans I wasn't expecting to be eligible for forgiveness on any of the loans until 2021 even though it would have been this year based on when I originally started paying.

Well, Saturday I received a letter from the Department of Education saying they did another review of my payments and I have now made the required 120 qualifying payments (actually 124 payments) for most of my loans and I should apply for forgiveness. One loan is still on track to be eligible in 2021. So today I submitted my actual application for forgiveness on those loans (you have to still be working for a qualifying employer when you apply for forgiveness) so hopefully I will hear back soon that they've actually been forgiven!

Over the years, my wife has kept suggesting that we just cut a check and pay off these loans (which covered nearly all of grad school and a bit of undergrad). It wouldn't be an insignificant amount to pay and I understand that we are fortunate that we have that option but I incurred most of this debt before I was married to her and I didn't want to use her money to pay for my poor planning. Combine that with the fact that the PSLF program existed and I had actually factored that forgiveness into turning down a private sector job offer a couple years ago and it all adds up to a nice feeling to finally apply for the actual forgiveness.
Congrats! The fact that they didn't screw you over, like they did a TON of people is awesome. Here's to hoping you are forgiven!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Congrats! The fact that they didn't screw you over, like they did a TON of people is awesome. Here's to hoping you are forgiven!
Dittos....as one of the people they screwed over.

Good for you WSU.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
At what point did Halloween become a "season" instead of a day? I'm all for decorating for fall. But several weeks of Halloween inflatables and other crap? Not so much.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
At what point did Halloween become a "season" instead of a day? I'm all for decorating for fall. But several weeks of Halloween inflatables and other crap? Not so much.
October 1-31 is fair game. On November 1st I swap out Halloween for Day of the Dead decorations for a couple of days.

If I have to look at Christmas lights and decorations from November 1 through Epiphany in January then it's not unreasonable.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Girl insisted on buying a 'grey' pumpkin to carve rather than a regular old orange pumpkin.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
October 1-31 is fair game. On November 1st I swap out Halloween for Day of the Dead decorations for a couple of days.

If I have to look at Christmas lights and decorations from November 1 through Epiphany in January then it's not unreasonable.
Yeah, well what about a display window for all the turkey and pilgrim decorations that retailers will soon be clamoring for?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Someone needs a minivan. If I was closer, I'd help with one of mine. :)
No I don't. I'd rather have good fuel economy 99% of the the time, and borrow a friend's pickup the 2 or 3 days a year I need to haul something. I went back yesterday to pick up the plywood in a friend's pickup. The good part of living in truck-happy Texas is that there are always people around with an old pickup you can borrow when you need to.

Veloise

Cyburbian
My wife ...

Anyhow, still in NYC. Post-wedding breakfast today. (Not our wedding. We got married the Finger Lakes way, in our backyard.) E-ZPass locked and loaded for the drive back. ...
Whenever Dan posts a mention of his bingo queen, I get a little twinge of happiness. (On FB he shared a photo of them dressed up for this happy event.)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I slept horribly last night and I do NOT have a night meeting tonight.....meh.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I kept getting woken up by thunderstorms (but luckily no tornadoes). I have no meetings planned for tonight.

DVD

Cyburbian
Fine, my Star Trek musings aren't good enough, then ponder if X-wings have bathroom facilities. I mean, they can jump to light speed which means longer trips and I would want some kind of system just in case I needed to go on a longer trip. Just saying.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Fine, my Star Trek musings aren't good enough, then ponder if X-wings have bathroom facilities. I mean, they can jump to light speed which means longer trips and I would want some kind of system just in case I needed to go on a longer trip. Just saying.
What do US fighter pilots do for similar purposes? Or what did Lindbergh do in 1927 on his way from USA to France?

For X-wing pilots, I assume tech similar to the stillsuits from Dune.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Dude got notified of a pending rezoning from MF to C-2 for the purpose of building a liquor store. "Rather have booze than $h!+hole apartments" (C-2 still allows $h!+hole apartments).
It's usually only after drunks run apartments in the ground that they become shitholes.

Developers usually don't design, finance and build shithole apartments.

That's what you told him, right? ;)

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I kept getting woken up by thunderstorms (but luckily no tornadoes). I have no meetings planned for tonight.
Same here.

Parental abode is still without power from last night's tornado. All are physically well, but the neighborhood is in bad shape. Mom says minor damage only to their small home, while the big ones (McMansions) are missing roofs and windows. Trees down, streets blocked, and the Chucks in a Truck are already covering the neighborhood in fly-by-night repair company cards.:mad:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
we are taking bets in city hall on when someone mows down the road closed sign on this side hill-road in front of city hall - it's on a sharp incline and people drive it like it's an on ramp from the main road and you see the sign when it's too late - still there for now...

AG74683

Cyburbian
I took last week off. I came back to only 5 missed calls. I don't know if that speaks to my incredible efficiency or just a lack of interest in any planning related items. A lady did call to harass me about a bonfire in a subdivision? I don't know why she thought the planning department had anything to do with that, but oh well.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Confession: while I'm pretty much required to read every thread in the Friday Afternoon Club, I very seldom if ever bother to open the omnibus sports threads. Behave when posting there, okay?

Planit

Cyburbian
Confession: while I'm pretty much required to read every thread in the Friday Afternoon Club, I very seldom if ever bother to open the omnibus sports threads. Behave when posting there, okay?
That's okay. Hink usually takes care of that for you.

Is Random Thoughts thread required reading for Cyburbians? I think the answer is yes.

DVD

Cyburbian
Pointless Far Side fact. Scientists actually call that part of the dinosaur the Thagomizer because apparently there wasn't a word for that particular bone structure before.

1571754403866.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Pointless Far Side fact. Scientists actually call that part of the dinosaur the Thagomizer because apparently there wasn't a word for that particular bone structure before.

View attachment 46992
Because of his penchant for depicting white lab coat wearing scientists in his Far Side cartoon, Gary Larson has long been a favorite among the academic crowd. I believe some scientist even named some kind of insect they discovered after him.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Random fact checking -

Thagomizer

Strigiphilus garylarsoni
It's a sad social commentary that in the age of Trump even RTDNTOTO posts end up having to be fact-checked...

one of my favorite Far Side cartoons was one that depicted two scientists on the beach, each with their own blackboard. The scientist who had the longer equation was attracting more women. I couldn't find the image. Perhaps some 'fact-checker' might succeed where I failed?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian

This is SO encouraging!! When I went back to grad school, my public service clock reset and I 'lost' 42 undergrad payments in the calculations of PSLF. Based on your story, I'm inspired to reach back out to them and ask for a review of my account. If the loans are all treated separately, I should be just about done with paying off undergrad.

(Don't anybody burst my bubble here with a story of how the PSLF doesn't work. I'm needing a silver lining today and I'm claiming this as it!)

AG74683

Cyburbian
This is SO encouraging!! When I went back to grad school, my public service clock reset and I 'lost' 42 undergrad payments in the calculations of PSLF. Based on your story, I'm inspired to reach back out to them and ask for a review of my account. If the loans are all treated separately, I should be just about done with paying off undergrad.

(Don't anybody burst my bubble here with a story of how the PSLF doesn't work. I'm needing a silver lining today and I'm claiming this as it!)
Yeah that is definitely good news. I need to get around to applying, it's just a huge pain in the butt. None of it is submitted online from what I can tell. It needs to be physically mailed in which is absurd.

I would assume the forgiven amount is considered income for tax purposes though?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yeah that is definitely good news. I need to get around to applying, it's just a huge pain in the butt. None of it is submitted online from what I can tell. It needs to be physically mailed in which is absurd.

I would assume the forgiven amount is considered income for tax purposes though?
You can fax in the information (slightly better than mailing it in). I've called in with questions a few times and I always got right through to humans and was able to get answers to my questions pretty easily.

Originally, the forgiven amount was going to be considered income but the rules were re-written a few years back and now it is not considered income. From the Department of Education:

Will I have to pay income tax on the forgiveness amount? No. According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), student loan amounts forgiven under the PSLF Program are not considered income for tax purposes. Please contact the IRS or a tax advisor for more information.
FWIW, my amount forgiven will be close to $30k.

For anybody who is paying student loans and thinks they work for a qualifying employer, you should definitely be sending in an employment verification every year or even every 6 months.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can fax in the information (slightly better than mailing it in). I've called in with questions a few times and I always got right through to humans and was able to get answers to my questions pretty easily.

Originally, the forgiven amount was going to be considered income but the rules were re-written a few years back and now it is not considered income. From the Department of Education:

FWIW, my amount forgiven will be close to $30k.

For anybody who is paying student loans and thinks they work for a qualifying employer, you should definitely be sending in an employment verification every year or even every 6 months.
Was Fed Loan your servicer?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Had one of those "please call this person about this thing" messages plopped on my desk.

So I called.

Turned into a very entertaining call, in a good way. Made a good contact, suggested something they thought sounded great, and then they made a Parks & Rec reference that I responded to appropriately, and we ended the call smiling.

So all in all, a good way to end the day.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Today is not going to be that day. It is a day, but not that day. I hope tomorrow is that day.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today is not going to be that day. It is a day, but not that day. I hope tomorrow is that day.
So, is today the day, or will tomorrow be the day?

Wife did not look pleased when I reminded her that I have another night meeting tonight.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I got stuck in a hole with Dan Tyminski last night. If you haven't googled him, holy geez. Probably best known as the singing voice for George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou he also is the singing voice of Hey Brother by Avicii.

He is a really talented bluegrass singer. Good times...

Reactions: kms

Bubba

Cyburbian
I got stuck in a hole with Dan Tyminski last night. If you haven't googled him, holy geez. Probably best known as the singing voice for George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou he also is the singing voice of Hey Brother by Avicii.

He is a really talented bluegrass singer. Good times...
He's pretty solid with Alison Krauss and Union Station as well.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Dumb question of the day. "Do I need to live in the home to use it as a home occupation?". Do people even think about these questions before they ask them? If you're not living there, it's a home being used for a business.

Depressing local newspaper tidbit of the day. "Town citizens attending the meeting burst into spontaneous applause when Commissioners asked the engineers to display the pictures of Burger King's prototype new building design to the audience."

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Dumb question of the day. "Do I need to live in the home to use it as a home occupation?". Do people even think about these questions before they ask them? If you're not living there, it's a home being used for a business.
Provided that someone is living in the house, our ordinance would allow it, as it allows 1 non-resident employee. If no one lives in the structure then it's a commercial property and would need to be treated as such. What is the proposed use?