• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My mom's family was one of those. Her dad helped unionize Bethlehem Steel, and her five brothers all worked there at one point or another. My uncle stayed with Bethlehem long after production stopped in Lackawanna as a process consultant.
I had a grandfather and an uncle who worked in the steel mills. They were it though. They started going down long about the time about the y'alls did. My dad didn't work in the mills and obviously I didn't either. Besides being totally inept regarding anything mechanical or construction, I could see the hand writing on the wall regarding the mills.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This show sounds like it's right up @michaelskis alley: Joe Pera Talks with You. From the IMDB summary: The series stars comedian Joe Pera as a fictionalized version of himself, living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and teaching choir at a local middle school. Pera attempts to talk directly to the audience about seemingly mundane subject matter such as iron, Sunday breakfast, fall drives, dancing, sleeping, and music.

I am going to need to check that out. Escanaba in Da Moonlight with Jeff Daniels is a good one too.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
We are averaging 21 Random Thought postings per day.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
All I asked for was a shared hard drive where we can upload building plans to when we receive them so the Tax Department can easily access them when we can't upload them to our permit system because they're too large. That should not warrant a half hour conversation with IT and developing some complicated ass system of uploading them. It's a simple process. When Tax doesn't need them anymore, they can delete them.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Marine Corps is a small world, especially compared to the other branches.

The guy in the office next to mine is a fellow Marine and he went to boot camp about 8 years earlier than me. We started talking about something the other day and he was telling me about a guy he served with who he is still friends with and who went on to become a Drill Instructor at Parris Island around the same time as I was a recruit there. The name was familiar so I went home and pulled out my boot camp yearbook and lo and behold, his buddy was one of the DIs in our company and in the same building as my platoon, but a floor below us.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The Marine Corps is a small world, especially compared to the other branches.

The guy in the office next to mine is a fellow Marine and he went to boot camp about 8 years earlier than me. We started talking about something the other day and he was telling me about a guy he served with who he is still friends with and who went on to become a Drill Instructor at Parris Island around the same time as I was a recruit there. The name was familiar so I went home and pulled out my boot camp yearbook and lo and behold, his buddy was one of the DIs in our company and in the same building as my platoon, but a floor below us.
I can't count the number of times this has happened to me. Heck, remember every time you got transferred, you ended up knowing at least a couple guys you served with before at some previous duty station?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I can't count the number of times this has happened to me. Heck, remember every time you got transferred, you ended up knowing at least a couple guys you served with before at some previous duty station?
Yep. I was out for 2 years before I got recalled to active duty. The first or second day I was back at Lejeune I went to one of the chow halls for breakfast (there were probably at least a dozen of them on the base) and I get in line right behind another guy I had served with at my last duty station who had also been out for more than 2 years and was also now recalled for OIF/OEF.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Writing street technical/construction standards for TNDs, because the community where I work doesn't have standards to begin with. There's just an AutoCAD file of a "recommended" cross section that's more appropriate in a rural context - shoulders, ditches, no sidewalks, no utliities. Among "other duties as described", I'm now a civil engineer! Ask me about ESALs, reliability levels, and crest and sag vertical curves! (I'm going to be running everything by our engineer, and get his seal of approval when it's all done. He's just as miffed as I am that there's no standards He's working on drafting sewer/water standards now.)

Any reason why communities in the Northeastern US are so averse to internally illuminated street signs? Many communities avoid even moderately visible overhead signs.

DVD

Cyburbian
Writing street technical/construction standards for TNDs, because the community where I work doesn't have standards to begin with. There's just an AutoCAD file of a "recommended" cross section that's more appropriate in a rural context - shoulders, ditches, no sidewalks, no utliities. Among "other duties as described", I'm now a civil engineer! Ask me about ESALs, reliability levels, and crest and sag vertical curves! (I'm going to be running everything by our engineer, and get his seal of approval when it's all done. He's just as miffed as I am that there's no standards He's working on drafting sewer/water standards now.)

Any reason why communities in the Northeastern US are so averse to internally illuminated street signs? Many communities avoid even moderately visible overhead signs.
I remember driving around San Antonio (not downtown) and not being able to see any street name signs. They existed, but the lighting was poor or some of the signs were so faded you couldn't read anything.

On the other hand, Tempe, AZ has always had nice street signs. At least at most of the major streets. They light up real pretty at night too.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I remember driving around San Antonio (not downtown) and not being able to see any street name signs. They existed, but the lighting was poor or some of the signs were so faded you couldn't read anything.

On the other hand, Tempe, AZ has always had nice street signs. At least at most of the major streets. They light up real pretty at night too.
Yep. If you're going to have an auto-oriented and scaled street network, you have to make big street signs. Just go to the DOT manual and ask the local sign company.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
At LEPC meeting saw this video -

High Risk/Low Frequency Events in the Fire Service

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Less random yesterday, though.

Weekday posting patterns are hard to predict. It's usually very slow on weekends, and Friday is seldom the busiest weekday. During weekdays, there could be 125 posts on one day, and 50 the next. Usually, if there's a very busy day, there's a lot more activity than usual the following couple of days, as if the excitement spills over a bit.

More new threads = more posts. That's why we often split off FAC posts.

Yep. If you're going to have an auto-oriented and scaled street network, you have to make big street signs. Just go to the DOT manual and ask the local sign company.
Around here, there's little consistency with street name signs within a municipality. Where I work, some street name signs are all uppercase, some a combination of uppercase and lowercase, some pole-mounted with a white border, some blade signs without a border, typefaces all over the place, and generally very hard to read as a whole. Maybe it's a regional phenomenon, but the vast majority of communities in upstate NY -- rural, suburban, or urban -- could care less about "polish" or branding.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Around here, there's little consistency with street name signs within a municipality. Where I work, some street name signs are all uppercase, some a combination of uppercase and lowercase, some pole-mounted with a white border, some blade signs without a border, typefaces all over the place, and generally very hard to read as a whole. Maybe it's a regional phenomenon, but the vast majority of communities in upstate NY -- rural, suburban, or urban -- could care less about "polish" or branding.
I facilitate addressing & street naming for my jurisdiction. Over the years, my efforts to standardize street signs have went no where. A few years back there were some federal/state changes that required reflectivity and 9" blades with 6" lettering. We use all caps. I would love to get block numbers on the signs but at this point if I can signs installed in the correct location and the names are spelled correctly then I am happy. I have had names spelled wrong on one side of the blade, both sides of the blade, and once our guys spelled a streetname wrong on both sides but they weren't consistent with the misspelling. I have street sign on road that changed names in the 50's that still has the old name on the sign. I have requested it changed out several times over the years but I have gotten nowhere. On the bright note, there were 3 intersections signed that way when I came to work here and now there is the one; so I am batting 0.333 and Meatloaf said that 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Reactions: Dan

AG74683

Cyburbian
I mean I'm no business expert, but I suspect the reason that you're "hurting for business" is because you located a trailer sales company in the middle of nowhere, but whatever.

Fun fact of the day, more Americans have married Kim Kardashian than have died of Ebola.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've been getting three our four calls a day from Chinese scammers. Always a 212 area code that slips by the two spam blockers I have on my phone, always plingy Chinese restaurant music in the background, always a woman speaking Mandarin with a high-pitched voice,

Next time I get a call, I'm pressing "1", and saying the following:
  • Tiananmen da tusha (Tiananmen massacre)
  • Liusi shijan (Six four incident)
  • Baiju minyun (Democracy movement)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Dang, there is a group of us that is that edging toward retirement age. I had a birthday recently so the issue is hitting home for me.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, I'll probably need to go past 65 myself. We bought a house last year and I want to have it paid off before retiring.

DVD

Cyburbian
Just kind of a WTF kind of day. Like putting a road through a couple lots (with good reason) and not having an approved replat to say it's okay.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I have been off all day -

heading out tomorrow to parts south of me for the long weekend and then off to NNECAPA in New Hampshire from there so you may not see my musings here but on other social sites

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A bunch of people are out of the office tomorrow for a big event so my coworker just brought in a cake after lunch today to celebrate the Marine Corps Birthday.

I had to pull up the Adjutant's Call, Attention, and Semper Fidelis to play on my phone while we forced our coworkers to listen to me read General Lejeune's Birthday Message.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah, I'll probably need to go past 65 myself. We bought a house last year and I want to have it paid off before retiring.
I'll probably go until I'm 66. A buddy and I are talking about doing a part-time planning consultant business after we retire out. With all the ordinances written and administered over the years, it should be worth a part time gig.

kms

Cyburbian
Some things I didn’t expect to hear at lunch:
“If you don’t like this, you don’t have to pay. I’m not a cook. The cook had to leave because he had a tick. He told me how to cook this and said to cook it halfway then put it under the broiler.”

It was the best thing I ate all day, so it worked out well.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Lateral move in the office today.

For years and years I've been working as part of our economic development team, at least as far as reporting goes. I'd say about 80% of my work has generally been with business development or workforce development while the remainder has been on other initiatives spread out among planning, marketing, community and home improvement, etc. Today I was told I'll be reporting to the manager of the planning side of the office and working more on their projects.

It should be a nice change with the opportunity to work on more things related to transportation planning and community involvement.

Maybe now I'll look into actually sitting for the AICP exam since the business development and market research stuff never counted towards years of experience (and I just didn't care)... ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yeah I have been off all day -

heading out tomorrow to parts south of me for the long weekend and then off to NNECAPA in New Hampshire from there so you may not see my musings here but on other social sites
OK... I will bite on this one NNECAPA? Why don't you get your own state chapter instead of a general region.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK... I will bite on this one NNECAPA? Why don't you get your own state chapter instead of a general region.
because New England sticks together - word up! represent! why am I posting this?

lol - omg

but yeah, there's not that many planners way up here so it makes sense we financially to have it be 3 states...

HomerJ

Cyburbian
The 'Day of Meetings' has come to an end & I'm finally sitting at my desk...just in time to leave.
That was my day yesterday. Today was supposed to be 'Day of Catching Up on Everything' but I ran out of steam :confused:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And kind of slow today, too. I was too absorbed in my work as a pseudo-civil engineer to do much online today, but still, where is everybody? Is there a holiday I don't know about? A conference?

Ask me about AASHTO design vehicles and stopping sight distances!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Seventy seven years ago today, my dad was an 18 year old radarman aboard the battleship Massachusetts at the allied landings in Northern Africa.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I received a check in the mail from my insurance agent in the amount of 22% of my annual premium for my vehicle, house, and rental property insurance with no explanation other than "over payment". It's a significant chunk of change. I am calling today to get clarification before I deposit the check. I like unexpected windfalls but in my experience they typically coincide with unexpected expenses.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh dear. These people came in to get a permit. The man is listed as the property owner, more specifically listed as "an unmarried man". The woman he was with may have been one of the most annoying people I've seen all year. Poor sap.

Well it gets worse. We do not have a public restroom here. Apparently while the man was working on some paperwork she showed the permitting tech a message on her phone that asked if he could use the restroom because he "has a prostate problem" and "his bag is full". Good Lord.

Oof, structure fire in one of our larger subdivisions. Fully involved, started in the basement. This is the second one in 6 months in there which is somewhat suspicious to be sure. 4 stations have been dispatched already.

Last edited:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Terraplnr's unscientific observations of carrot peeling (or not) - based on a sample size of four people:

West Coasters - do not peel their carrots before eating
Midwesterners - peel their carrots before eating

Published in the "Journal for Cyburbian Research of Random Observations" (JCRRO), Vol. 1, Page 1, Nov. 2019.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've bought tickets to take my daughter to go see Puffs at a local middle school/high school theatre on Saturday night. It's the unauthorized story of the kids in Hufflepuff at the same time that Harry Potter is at Hogwarts. It's supposed to be pretty funny. I'm looking forward to it.