• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I received a check in the mail from my insurance agent in the amount of 22% of my annual premium for my vehicle, house, and rental property insurance with no explanation other than "over payment". It's a significant chunk of change. I am calling today to get clarification before I deposit the check. I like unexpected windfalls but in my experience they typically coincide with unexpected expenses.
My insurance company mistakenly applied someone else's insurance premium to my account for my rental property and it appeared that a double payment was made so I got an erroneous refund check. Their premium happened to be the same amount of mine and it was a part of a bulk payment from my bank's escrow department that included my payment as well. The bank told me to give the money back to the insurance company and the insurance company told me to give the money back to bank. I started to shred the check, do nothing, and let the bank or insurance company figure out their mistake but I was concerned that someone's insurance would be canceled. Cashing the check was never an option. The bank was concerned and tried to help; however, the insurance company was the one that screwed up and they seemed annoyed that I called. It only took 13 phone calls and 47 minutes of my time to give back money that was sent to me by mistake.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I've bought tickets to take my daughter to go see Puffs at a local middle school/high school theatre on Saturday night. It's the unauthorized story of the kids in Hufflepuff at the same time that Harry Potter is at Hogwarts. It's supposed to be pretty funny. I'm looking forward to it.
Report back with your thoughts on the play! Other Puffs want to know. :nerd:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I got nothing done so far this weekend. Except buy two new toilets, which will be delivered tomorrow.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I took my car in to the dealership this morning. Nothing major, just getting a 60K hybrid checkup. Drop off went well.

So the shuttle driver brought me home, and now I'm trying to stay awake after a crappy night's sleep. I'm supposed to be working.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

I saw the original Cyndi Lauper "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" video recently and realized it sounded dated (and not entirely in a good way). That's really the first time I've felt this with a 1980's hit song. Now that I think about it, though, LOTS of songs from the 80's sound dated now. It just happened one day and that day I guess is today.

kms

Cyburbian
Our office building is being remodeled. At the beginning of the project, the owner put signs in the lobby advertising the upgrades. One sign noted the proposed “robust heating and cooling system”. There’s nothing robust about it. I’m sitting at my desk with an electric blanket on the back of my chair. I don’t mind outside temperatures until they move inside. I’m going out this afternoon for inspections and I’m sure I’ll feel much warmer.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Did you know that Mickey Mouse will become public domain in 2024? That's right, Steamboat Willie, where the famous mouse first appeared was created in 1924.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Hockey icon Don Cherry fired for immigrant comments
I didn't find his comments that harsh. I know quite a few men his age who are all about that poppy around November 11th (my dad included), and although I only occasionally wear one (a certain consultant in our office, who is also roughly that age) brings some in for the vets in the office some years) I don't begrudge anybody who doesn't wear one but I also don't care if some old thinks I should be wearing wearing one.

To me, it sounds like CBC Sportsnet was looking for a reason to fire Cherry and this was probably just the incident that arrived at just the right time, no matter how minor, to make it happen. I still occasionally watch Hockey Night in Canada but haven't watched Don Cherry's segments in a long time. He had become the type of blowhard loudmouth that is everything I despise in radio and TV sports commentary.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Food for thought: chavs of the early 2000's are mostly now in their 30's

Planit

Cyburbian
This past weekend The Girl's soccer team played in a tournament and won the U17 Girls division. It was great result.

I found out at practice last night that one of the girls, who had complained of a stomach ache before the final, went to the ER at 10:00 Sunday night and ultimately had her appendix removed. She is doing well with no complications.

She had played every minute of all 4 matches too.

DVD

Cyburbian
Debating on applying for the sign manager job here. Our city breaks down the planning group into smaller divisions. Site planning - what I do now, zoning - processing variances, etc., village planning - long range and writing stipulations plus presenting at meetings, and signs is it's own division.

The good:
  • Pay raise, promotion, and all that
  • I'm a manager (is that good or bad?)
  • The sign group is very independent (no hands on managing required)
  • They seem to like me if one of them asked me to apply and I never work with them currently. I hardy know their names.
  • All the past managers promoted or moved to private sector
  • Easy enough job that I can sit and be lazy at for 20 years.
  • still 8-5 job with no night meetings.

The bad:
  • Always uncomfortable going to new unknown jobs - I have it good where I'm at.
  • It looks like a dead end even if past people promoted
  • I don't want to get bored
  • I'd have to do hearings
  • It's signs
  • The people aren't planners, just trained to do signs (maybe that's a good thing).

Maybe I'll just go home, drink a good drink, smoke a good smoke and think about it.

Reactions: Dan

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've bought tickets to take my daughter to go see Puffs at a local middle school/high school theatre on Saturday night. It's the unauthorized story of the kids in Hufflepuff at the same time that Harry Potter is at Hogwarts. It's supposed to be pretty funny. I'm looking forward to it.

Report back with your thoughts on the play! Other Puffs want to know. :nerd:
It was absolutely hilarious. I think comedy can be difficult to do for high school kids but they nailed it

If you are a Harry Potter fan and there happens to be a performance of Puffs somewhere near you, I'd definitely recommend it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We signed up for Disney+ this morning. (Package that also includes Hulu and ESPN+)

I looked at the list of available shows and movies and I am impressed.

When I was downloading the app onto our Roku, I was also shocked to have AppleTV on there. So we can now access all the movies that we bought on iTunes years back, like the Harry Potter series and such and have them stream on the Roku as well.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well today involved standing in the freezing rain for 2 hours directing traffic around a wreck in a pair of jeans and regular shoes that completely soaked through in the first 5 minutes and the new information that we are creating 4 new zoning districts. Neat.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We only have 7 weeks or 50 days left in the 2019. I've already bought my new Non Sequitur calendar and order a new National Parks/Poster Art of the WPA calendar for 2020.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
We signed up for Disney+ this morning. (Package that also includes Hulu and ESPN+)

I looked at the list of available shows and movies and I am impressed.

When I was downloading the app onto our Roku, I was also shocked to have AppleTV on there. So we can now access all the movies that we bought on iTunes years back, like the Harry Potter series and such and have them stream on the Roku as well.
I signed up last night for the bundle. I canceled AT&T TV Now, which used to be Directv Now. It was going up to $25 from $10, evidently I had a introductory rate that was good for 2 years. We didn't use it enough to justify the cost increase. Now, I have just netflix and the disney+ bundle with hulu and espn+. I hear good things about the live action Star Wars series, so hopefully that's a good thing.

AG74683

Cyburbian
What is it? Do explain.
I still don't really understand. It takes place in a post apocalyptic United States where some event called the "Death Stranding" occurred. I guess it has something to do with the dead being unable to like leave the earth or something. If you die, your body necrotizes and then explodes which destroys basically anything within a significant radius. All bodies need to be burned now, but they release something called "chiral" matter so the incinerators have to be built far from civilization. The chiral matter attracts something called "BT's" or "Beached Things" which are basically the souls of the dead. Apparently throwing grenades at the BT's made of your own blood or bath water causes them to disperse. You play some guy named Sam Porter Bridges (who is basically Norman Reedus). He is basically a delivery man, carrying random stuff from one place to another. Like literally, you can stack cargo until it's 3 times your own height. It's absurd. OH he also carries a fetus inside of some sort of manufactured womb on his chest, called a "BB" or "Bridge Baby". The BB can detect the BT's I guess. And I forgot to mention that rain is now called "Timefall" because it accelerates time for anything it touches. If you're out in it without proper protection you age incredibly fast. That also goes for infrastructure, vehicles, and your cargo. The game is a singleplayer experience but has multiplayer facets. Basically when you build infrastructure (roads, wind generators, postboxes, bridges, ladders etc.) they can show up in other players games so you can use them. You never see other players though. You have to actively maintain the infrastructure too.

Oh, some people have become addicted to transporting cargo. They are called MULES and basically beat you up to steal your stuff so they can deliver it instead. And no one has normal names. I've been introduced to Deadman, Die-Hardman, Heartman, and Mama. Your job is basically to traverse the entire United States rebuilding infrastructure (roads, recharging stations, etc.) while connecting all the various areas of civilization to a "chiral network", basically the internet.

It's an incredible game visually, the environment is incredible. I just have no clue what's going on.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I still don't really understand. It takes place in a post apocalyptic United States where some event called the "Death Stranding" occurred. I guess it has something to do with the dead being unable to like leave the earth or something. If you die, your body necrotizes and then explodes which destroys basically anything within a significant radius. All bodies need to be burned now, but they release something called "chiral" matter so the incinerators have to be built far from civilization. The chiral matter attracts something called "BT's" or "Beached Things" which are basically the souls of the dead. Apparently throwing grenades at the BT's made of your own blood or bath water causes them to disperse. You play some guy named Sam Porter Bridges (who is basically Norman Reedus). He is basically a delivery man, carrying random stuff from one place to another. Like literally, you can stack cargo until it's 3 times your own height. It's absurd. OH he also carries a fetus inside of some sort of manufactured womb on his chest, called a "BB" or "Bridge Baby". The BB can detect the BT's I guess. And I forgot to mention that rain is now called "Timefall" because it accelerates time for anything it touches. If you're out in it without proper protection you age incredibly fast. That also goes for infrastructure, vehicles, and your cargo. The game is a singleplayer experience but has multiplayer facets. Basically when you build infrastructure (roads, wind generators, postboxes, bridges, ladders etc.) they can show up in other players games so you can use them. You never see other players though. You have to actively maintain the infrastructure too.

Oh, some people have become addicted to transporting cargo. They are called MULES and basically beat you up to steal your stuff so they can deliver it instead. And no one has normal names. I've been introduced to Deadman, Die-Hardman, Heartman, and Mama. Your job is basically to traverse the entire United States rebuilding infrastructure (roads, recharging stations, etc.) while connecting all the various areas of civilization to a "chiral network", basically the internet.

It's an incredible game visually, the environment is incredible. I just have no clue what's going on.
Okay, the next time I see you use the word "weird" I will definitely take it quite seriously and not dismiss it as mere hyperbole.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Middle son is obsessed with getting a Nintendo Switch and Mario Cart 8 Deluxe for Christmas. The wife is softening a little bit but I am not going to spend that kind of money for him to play a video game. Sure he can get more games, but they are like $50 per game which is ridiculous to me. We bought him a new iPad last year and I am going to see if I can get a video game style controller for it and see if Mario Cart is available for it and call it good.

Personally, I think that almost all of these video games are a total waste of time and money and are causing lasting damage to society.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Middle son is obsessed with getting a Nintendo Switch and Mario Cart 8 Deluxe for Christmas. The wife is softening a little bit but I am not going to spend that kind of money for him to play a video game. Sure he can get more games, but they are like $50 per game which is ridiculous to me. We bought him a new iPad last year and I am going to see if I can get a video game style controller for it and see if Mario Cart is available for it and call it good.

Personally, I think that almost all of these video games are a total waste of time and money and are causing lasting damage to society.
We have a Switch and Mario Kart 8. I will say it is fun. The switch is mobile, so you can take it with you places. It also allows for 4 players. The Switch games generally are more kid friendly. I will agree they are crazy pricey though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We only have 7 weeks or 50 days left in the 2019. I've already bought my new Non Sequitur calendar and order a new National Parks/Poster Art of the WPA calendar for 2020.
Thanks to my employer's very liberal holiday time off policy, I've only got 14 days of work left this year. I love November and December here!

We have a Switch and Mario Kart 8. I will say it is fun. The switch is mobile, so you can take it with you places. It also allows for 4 players. The Switch games generally are more kid friendly. I will agree they are crazy pricey though.
I have yet to see any convincing evidence that video games are harming society or causing lasting damage (might they harm an individual, sure but that's a different issue)... but as far as the Switch goes, we enjoy ours. I bought it for us for Christmas a couple of years ago and my daughter and I still get quite a bit of use out of it. I agree that the games are pricey, but video games have always been pricey. And thankfully, my daughter isn't the type that wants to have 84 different games; she likes to pick one game and play it to death or until she beats every aspect. Mario Cart was one of the first games we got and she loves that one. Plus, it's simple enough that if a friend comes over and they want to play together the friend can pick it up very easily even if they've never played it before.

Regarding games - our local library has a selection of video games and over the last few months I've noticed they've slowly started adding Switch games to what they loan out.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

You realize that probably half the adults (or more) running the western world right now grewup playing copious amounts of video games.

It's not the thing, it's how the person interacts with the thing that matters - aka boundaries and limits and explanations, etc.

Planit

Cyburbian
Who TF can afford to go to college anymore? A year's tuition for grad school at Boston University is 54k, not including fees, books, etc.

Yep. We're starting to sweat since The Girl is midway through her Junior year. Fortunately she is in the early college program too, which will mean she will be halfway through her Sophomore year of college when she graduates from HS. That will help!

kms

Cyburbian
Yep. We're starting to sweat since The Girl is midway through her Junior year. Fortunately she is in the early college program too, which will mean she will be halfway through her Sophomore year of college when she graduates from HS. That will help!
My daughter teaches at an early college program in a county near you.

We found that college tuition in your state was much less than in state tuition here.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
That sounds like a cool program!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Who TF can afford to go to college anymore? A year's tuition for grad school at Boston University is 54k, not including fees, books, etc.
Holy mother forking shirtballs.

I would have to spend 3 times today what I paid ~19 years ago for my grad degree at my alma mater.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think I just heard the single dumbest thing I've ever heard in my time here.

We have been complaining for years because no one will give us a key to the water department downstairs. So if they aren't there we can't get down there. The break room is down there, so if we forget anything in the fridge we can't get it after 5. We've always been told that they don't want to hand out keys since the water department money is stored down there. After hours it's stored in a giant safe. So the logic just isn't there for that argument.

So I find out today that the damn facilities maintenance guy has the combination for the safe. WTF? Why? Like that makes zero sense to me. Yes, let's give the combination to the safe to a guy who can't manage even a single facility here. I mean doesn't that completely invalidate the security argument? There is absolutely no overlap in job duties that requires that man to have the combination to the safe.