• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boring is a good name for the commercial property inventory report I just completed.
There's a town in Oregon called Boring.

My FIL is named Richard - most of his family addresses him as Dick. I just cannot bring myself to use that abbreviated version when talking to him...
My first roommate's name was Richard. He always got extraordinarily pissed when someone called him Dick.

Rick was his preferred nickname.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a kid in my grade whose name was Dickie Farr - not even kidding - he was extremely popular too

one of my best friend's husband is called Dick - I think this is the last generation of people calling their Rickard, Dick - as people born in the 70's and beyond I think is when the word Dick took on a new meaning

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There is an economist who I've worked with at the University of Michigan named Richard Curtain who goes by Dick around the office and in conversation or on conference agendas. He used to be on TV on occasion as he headed up the Consumer Confidence Survey but he wisely went by "Richard" in the media.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We had a councilman named Richard Bliss. He went by Dick. Nicest guy you'd ever want to know. I used to chuckle though at roll call.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
We closed escrow today :eek: :cool:. Almost 39 years into this planet, and finally I am a homeowner. Did i sell my soul to the mortgage company..yea.. but oh well.
A lot of work ahead. We start demo some minor stuff that doesn't need permits and our landscaping will be replaced next week (along with the gawd awful chainlink fence).

1574787985743.png

MD Planner

Cyburbian
There was a kid in my grade whose name was Dickie Farr - not even kidding - he was extremely popular too

one of my best friend's husband is called Dick - I think this is the last generation of people calling their Rickard, Dick - as people born in the 70's and beyond I think is when the word Dick took on a new meaning
I went to school with two females who were cousins. Their last names were Dick and Cox. They used to double date with guys. I'm just saying . . . .

Big Owl

Cyburbian
My daughter filed a complaint with her doctor's office after she repeatedly requested, both verbly and written that they correct some inaccurate information on her medical record. They sent her a letter stating that they corrected the information and it went on to say that they value correct information and that they appreciate her bringing the inaccuracies to their attention. The greeting line in the letter had the wrong name.

dw914er

Cyburbian
It's actually a 4-2. There is a ton of building in the rear. Currently preliminary sketching plans to build an attached ADU / house addition and gear up for permit submittal after the new year.
Congrats on the new home, arcplans!

Does your City have a pretty easy ADU process?

arcplans

Congrats on the new home, arcplans!

Does your City have a pretty easy ADU process?
It seems fairly strait forward. Since I am staying under 500 sf to avoid geotech, school fees, and other fun things, they have a much more simplified checklist. I don't need to add parking, and will utilize new state law to maximize setbacks, but going to talk to my neighbors first to educate them before they get all uppity. I figured I would have this discussion all while wearing my #MAGA hat. :roflmao:

Reactions: Dan

DVD

Cyburbian
Congrats to arcplans! Enjoy the first of many beers on the patio or whatever you do for fun.

On the name thing...My ship in the Navy was named after Admiral Richard Hawes. He always went by Dick. The funny part, he was well known for chewing tobacco and became known as Spitting Dick. So yes, my ship was the Spitting Dick and it was full of seamen.

arcplans

Thanks all..sorry I have been so absent on the site. Between this, work, and fall soccer (coaching 2 teams) it's been a pretty hectic fall.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the apirit of Alt-federaldepartment, I would love to have an alt-planner twitter so I can make fun of stupid planning decsions!

Today's is an unnamed city limiting the proliferation of a certain type of business to a specific number - when is someone going to appeal these kinds of regulation by max number of them things to say they are arbitrary and makes a permit a commodity

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is this a case of Murphy's Law -

Saving the boxes that printer/copier paper comes in - nobody needs them for a while
Recycle same - sooner than later - somebody needs several

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I stopped reading after this phrase - seriously, there must be an independent restaurant (not a chain) that you fine folks can go to!

But, so last night a bartender at Applebee's does make for a good thread
To be blunt, we are seriously lacking with it comes to locally owned restaurants. We have a bar that serves bar food, a really good Mexican place, and a sea food place that I have been told is awesome, but the owners hate me. There is also an locally owned Indian place that is questionable. Other than that, it is fast food or chain food. Most of it is crap and the service is just as bad. There is a locally owned BBQ joint that should be open by next summer, but that does not help me now.

The city that I work for has a few really awesome locally owned places, but I needed to stop off at a couple of retail establishments that my work community does not have.

Overall it is a moot point. I live in a fully master planned community that is just now hitting the numbers needed for the restaurants and retail to fire up.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
In the apirit of Alt-federaldepartment, I would love to have an alt-planner twitter so I can make fun of stupid planning decsions!

Today's is an unnamed city limiting the proliferation of a certain type of business to a specific number - when is someone going to appeal these kinds of regulation by max number of them things to say they are arbitrary and makes a permit a commodity
Curious about what type of business.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It is raining a lot today. I would assume this is the storm that put down 2 feet of snow in Colorado... I would have liked snow honestly.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was chatting with my neighbor yesterday and he said that his wife is planning to set alarms for when particular things go on sale over the next few days. At first I thought it was a great idea until he mentioned that one of the items goes on sale at 3:00 AM...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

You know there's a way to do it and way not to. Communities can have an effective 'cap' on the number of uses by virtue of enforcing an exclusion area or minimum separation distance (e.g. marijuana dispensaries must be in such and such a zoning district and be at least 1000' from a school and 500' from any church).

All things Mendelman rolled into one. Nice.

Image result for i see what you did there

Bubba

Cyburbian
It is raining a lot today. I would assume this is the storm that put down 2 feet of snow in Colorado... I would have liked snow honestly.
My firm's Denver office went ahead and shut down for the holiday yesterday morning due to that storm.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Today is only Wednesday, but we get to treat it like FRIDAY!
I plan on leaving around 2 today to make the long journey back your way.

Ugh... 8 more days of work this year. I've got short-timers disease.
I'm stuck having to get a special meeting together because some developer wants final plat approval. That crap annoys me. There's no reason why we should bend over backwards for these people. We already have, multiple times.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I’m working at home and don’t have to deal with crazy holiday traffic this afternoon.
Ditto. The plan had originally been to take today off, but my projected schedule this week got knocked sideways by a project that wasn't supposed to hit until January (#darksidelife). So, WFH this morning playing catch up, hoping to be able to knock off early this afternoon and head into midtown ATL for happy hour (or something along those lines)...we'll be taking the MARTA train in if we do...no way in hell I'm getting on the roads this afternoon.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Ugh... 8 more days of work this year. I've got short-timers disease.
11 days of work left.

Potential thread split - How many days left of work this year ?

==========================================================================

Thanksgiving travel - Thanksgiving day - only across town

===========================================================================

RJing at noon.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was expecting no traffic on the roads in to work this morning but there was surprisingly quite a bit.

Last night I went to the gym and on the way home I went to the big Kroger on the other side of downtown. It was about 10:00 p.m. and I drove through downtown on my way home and it was absolutely deserted. Our downtown is usually very busy from about 7:00 a.m. until the bars and restaurants stop serving around 2:00 a.m. but it always empties out around holidays. Summer holidays are even worse - if there is normally an hour wait for lunch or dinner on a Saturday, if it's near the 4th of July or Memorial Day weekend or something like that, you can walk right in.

I imagine some of the bars will be busier tonight, but not as busy as those in a couple of neighboring towns that draw a younger crowd.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

I've wondered about that- I think you can more properly do "outlet density" with spacing requirements that has the effect of limiting the number of a particular type of land use.

So who is here to the end besides me?
I am. These kind of days are dead quiet, except something really weird or random almost always shows up. My theory is that often there's family in town- especially when they are visiting an aging relative here- some conversation comes up that results in a trip to the planning office to discuss what's allowed.

Right now, it's this woman who wants to park an RV in here sister's driveway, connect it to municipal utilities, and live in it year-round like an ADU. I could almost permit it as an ADU but how the heck am i going to get it through the historic district design standards? I'm not, is probably the answer.

What this really illuminates is that this is where the best HOA is somebody else's HOA that tells them "no" so you (the poor municipal planner) don't have to.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

Curious about what type of business.
Not sure what luckless saw, but I recall that when I went on a business trip to Blytheville, AR, I heard that there were only X number of liquor licenses the city would grant. So if you wanted to open a business that served alcohol, you had to wait until another one closed to free up a license. And yes, the the licenses became a commodity because when a business closed they would transfer their license to the highest bidder.

At least that's what I heard.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Planning acronym fail -

RIP = Residential Infill Project

================================================

Can I make 143 posts to achieve 25K posts before the end of the year ?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Right now, it's this woman who wants to park an RV in here sister's driveway, connect it to municipal utilities, and live in it year-round like an ADU. I could almost permit it as an ADU but how the heck am i going to get it through the historic district design standards? I'm not, is probably the answer.

What this really illuminates is that this is where the best HOA is somebody else's HOA that tells them "no" so you (the poor municipal planner) don't have to.
When I was doing my internship with small town we had one hook up (without permits or any approval) to the sewer stub out to a vacant lot next door to the family members they were visiting. When they left, they failed to disconnect the sewer line and pulled half the infrastructure out of the ground.

We had a wreck this morning where some woman drove the wrong way up a one way street, and then pulled out in front of oncoming traffic. She was fine but the car was trashed. The car had expired tags and her license was also expired.

Planit

Cyburbian
Very little traffic on the way in today. No school buses / traffic to contend with.

The interstate was a bit more crowded last night than normal when we went to the town next door for dinner.

Staying local and staying on back roads (primarily) this weekend.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Happy Thanksgiving. I am enjoying my pre holiday day filling in a financial report, but at least its quiet. Of course, 50 MPH winds outside may have something to do with that.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I am. These kind of days are dead quiet, except something really weird or random almost always shows up. My theory is that often there's family in town- especially when they are visiting an aging relative here- some conversation comes up that results in a trip to the planning office to discuss what's allowed.
I actually don't mind working the day before a holiday. It's normally dead quiet except the random call/person coming in. We are short staffed today, so I'm buying pizza for those who are actually here. I'm going to do some professional training for myself since it's dead.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I actually don't mind working the day before a holiday. It's normally dead quiet except the random call/person coming in. We are short staffed today, so I'm buying pizza for those who are actually here. I'm going to do some professional training for myself since it's dead.
There's sort of a convivial atmosphere among coworkers here today. Things are relaxed.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am getting a lot done today, mainly because no one has come in or called today. Thank you rest of the world for having today off, so I can get stuff done....