• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I plan on leaving around 2 today to make the long journey back your way.
Catawba Brewing Company is releasing their Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout this friday. It's not bad, if you are into stouts. They will likely have their Honey Nut Breakfast Stout still left too. I haven't tried the breakfast stout yet.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Catawba Brewing Company is releasing their Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout this friday. It's not bad, if you are into stouts. They will likely have their Honey Nut Breakfast Stout still left too. I haven't tried the breakfast stout yet.
I'll definitely have to track that down. I'll have to come back here Saturday. The EMT lady decided we needed a class on Sunday for some reason.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Today's random youtube videos.

Making championship curling ice. Oddly satisfying.

Australians explore Buffalo through Google Streetview. Also, go Bills.

British expats in the US try to understand NFL football.

Public meeting WTF #1: complete randomness.

Public meeting WTF #2: ACAB! ACAB!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So Junior wants to wrestle at his middle school. The season starts after New Year. Right now I’m trying to find out all the information I can about middle school wrestling. I looked online and saw that the team has practices scheduled every weekday and has about five tournaments that will take place on weekends. I was also a little surprised to learn (although I probably shouldn’t be) middle school wrestling is now a coed sport.

Anyone here ever wrestle?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
So Junior wants to wrestle at his middle school. The season starts after New Year. Right now I’m trying to find out all the information I can about middle school wrestling. I looked online and saw that the team has practices scheduled every weekday and has about five tournaments that will take place on weekends. I was also a little surprised to learn (although I probably shouldn’t be) middle school wrestling is now a coed sport.

Anyone here ever wrestle?
No, but both my boys wrestle (8th grader and freshman). They love it, and it has turned into my favorite of the sports they participate in. The camaraderie and sense of accomplishment you can get as a wrestler is unique to team sports...not to mention the benefits of body awareness, mental toughness, etc. Great sport, definitely recommend it!

Planit

Cyburbian
Did a lap around city hall of people still present:

Admin - 0
HR - 0
Finance - 4 (that's about half)
Planning - 2 (that's everyone)

If the other guy in the office would hang up his phone, I'd tell him to go home.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I had to tell a clueless realtor that it was 34 degrees and snowing outside before she believed she was not talking with a City in Florida with the same name. Happens all the time.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Don't forget this now classic from one of my P&Z meetings. Between this version and another, 2 million views
That was one of your meetings? You were witness to a viral sensation!

There's someone who claps (lower left hand corner) when she says "I don't like Facebook!" at 5:58.

I think this screencap says it all.

portillos.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Based on this screencap from this video, you know the crowd is there to oppose something.

olds.jpg

As a Generation Xer who will probably never retire, I totally get the whole "ok boomer" meme. In the 1970s, these folks paid the equivalent of $50K in 2019 dollars for 2,000 square foot houses on half-acre lots, and now they're probably furious about some project with an affordable housing or mixed use component that will attract "those people". Still, where are the Millennials and Zers among the crowd? They can't all be slaving away at their second and third jobs.

Anyhow, say it loud! "I do no sex."

Best. Invocation. Ever.

No, really. Ignore the whole "Temple of Satan" veneer, and listen to his message. Or, look at the Wikipedia article.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Aaaaaand everybody's gone. Stop on by if you get tired of turkey or football.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Happy Thanksgiving to all Cyburbians & their families !

Safe travels, control your overeating, enjoy your leftovers, & don't over spend on your shopping.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I left the house yesterday to go to a Dallas Stars game. Met a friend for dinner, took DART to the arena and back, then came home and slept.

It was a great day after Thanksgiving.

Reactions: kms

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Aaaaaand work is closed. Ice storm! Unfortunately, my wife has to work today. Here's what it looks like down the driveway.

ithaca_snow.jpg

Yes, that house is perpendicular to the street. Exurban cluster subdivision.

Drinking hot chocolate.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have a lot to do today, but my fingers are cold.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Aaaaaand work is closed. Ice storm! Unfortunately, my wife has to work today. Here's what it looks like down the driveway.
Color me jealous. Not only do you get some charming snow, but an extra day off as well. Is this a five day weekend for you?

AG74683

Cyburbian
I got sick over the weekend, probably from standing outside for 2 hours taking family photos. My brother and his family came down for Thanksgiving and do a set of photos with his son every year for a 2020 New Years card. He won't have his son for Christmas so they did the photos while they were here. I had to come back for a class on Sunday.

We went to the air museum my dad volunteers at. They had some model kits for sale. Several were Guillows large scale balsa models. They had a JU-87B Stuka, F6F-3 Hellcat, P-38 Lightening, and a B-24 Liberator, all for around 25 bucks. I bought the Hellcat on a whim, just to see what sort of RC conversion capability exists for it. Turns out that all these kits are very easily adapted to RC, and they sell for anywhere between 80-120 bucks each on the open market. I strongly hinted at wanting the rest of them for Christmas to my dad.

Tonight is this big fire department Christmas party. Apparently it is a huge deal. We get our yearly check tonight. I think mine will be around 500 dollars. We get 5 dollars a call + meetings and stuff like that. I had no clue we even got paid.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want to feel old, today is Britney Spears' 38th birthday - my office mate is out today so I am listening to Britney radio on YouTube lol hope we can still be friends (but hey I had little girls in my house when she was big! I have a good reason!)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If you want to feel old, today is Britney Spears' 38th birthday - my office mate is out today so I am listening to Britney radio on YouTube lol hope we can still be friends (but hey I had little girls in my house when she was big! I have a good reason!)
And if you want to feel positively ancient....remember Tiffany? You know the peppy little fresh faced teen pop star who performed "I Think We're Alone Now" in malls across the country during the 80's? Well she's 48 now!

Image result for tiffany darwish
Then
Image result for tiffany darwish
now

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Color me jealous. Not only do you get some charming snow, but an extra day off as well. Is this a five day weekend for you?
Yup! Thing is, it doesn't feel like one.

Nice big flakes still falling. Took a walk, and the only vehicle I saw was a truck from the water district.

ice storm 01.jpg

ice storm 02.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And if you want to feel positive ancient....remember Tiffany? You know the peppy little fresh faced pop star who performed "I Think We're Alone Now" in malls across the country during the 80's? Well she's 48 now!
I remember my parents making a big deal whenever the death of some Broadway star that I never heard of was announced on the news. "Who the hell is Peggy Cass?" I wonder if young people feel the same when their parents expressed shock over the deaths of Tom Petty or Luke Perry.

FWIW, we're planning a trip to Las Vegas next year. I was looking at shows, and discovered Dean Martin is still alive and performing! All that alcohol must have preserved him like Keith Richards.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I remember my parents making a big deal whenever the death of some Broadway star that I never heard of was announced on the news. "Who the hell is Peggy Cass?" I wonder if young people feel the same when their parents expressed shock over the deaths of Tom Petty or Luke Perry.

FWIW, we're planning a trip to Las Vegas next year. I was looking at shows, and discovered Dean Martin is still alive and performing! All that alcohol must have preserved him like Keith Richards.
Try to get out outside of the strip. The Clark County Museum is pretty cool. Red Rocks Valley and Fire of Fire are great if you are into nature.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wonder why folks are so fascinated by celebrities from the past (I admit I'm not immune from it) that you haven't heard from in a long time? How many times do you see clickbait ads or articles that compare celebrities' lives from decades back to now. Usually, you discover that they've been getting bit parts in movies and tv shows every few years (or increasingly common do voice work for video games) for the past 20 years that you weren't really aware of, or that they've devoted themselves to some charity or became stay at home parents.

Life after celebrity is a strange thing. I'm not sure one can ever entirely return to a normal existence once you've spent a certain amount of time in the spotlight. Some even try to use their former fame or notoriety to springboard into other endeavors - take Vanilla Ice; he has a home flipping/rehab show now.

kms

Cyburbian
I wonder why folks are so fascinated by celebrities from the past (I admit I'm not immune from it) that you haven't heard from in a long time? How many times do you see clickbait ads or articles that compare celebrities' lives from decades back to now. Usually, you discover that they've been getting bit parts in movies and tv shows every few years (or increasingly common do voice work for video games) for the past 20 years that you weren't really aware of, or that they've devoted themselves to some charity or became stay at home parents.

Life after celebrity is a strange thing. I'm not sure one can ever entirely return to a normal existence once you've spent a certain amount of time in the spotlight. Some even try to use their former fame or notoriety to springboard into other endeavors - take Vanilla Ice; he has a home flipping/rehab show now.
Wasn’t The Loveboat all about celebrities past their prime? You can also include cooking shows as a post-celebrity career.

I can't tell if you're joking or really don't know that Dean Martin died about 24 years ago.
I wondered the same. If he’s well preserved, it’s with embalming fluid.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Uh, that sounds weird. Dean Martin died on Christmas day in 1995. IIRC no members of the Rat Pack are alive anymore. Frank Sinatra Jr. used to do some work and did some voice acting for Family Guy. He sadly died in 2016.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm here to announce that I'm ending my presidential campaign for the White House. That is all.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I'm here to announce that I'm ending my presidential campaign for the White House. That is all.
I guess I missed the press conference when you tossed your hat into the ring. Besides, it's a rigged event anyways. Just ask the Russians and Hillary.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Ok, I finally broke down and plugged in the Christmas lights. I also switched my Pandora station to Jazz Christmas. Let the holiday season begin.