• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Wasn’t The Loveboat all about celebrities past their prime? You can also include cooking shows as a post-celebrity career.
Hollywood Squares and Dancing With the Stars also feature celebrities past their prime. The particular thing I'm noticing is all the online articles and other media geared towards exposing/revealing what current life is like for various has-been celebrities.

I think on some level the general public is interested in their lives now because some of the celebrities enjoyed all that fame and fortune and it hasn't always gone well for them. We wonder how we might have done in life if faced with the same circumstances. Plus, there may even be a trace of schadenfreude.....you had the world at your feet and now you're back down to earth with the unwashed masses once again. Hah! How do you like that?!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
21 minutes to go....

Should we revive the Celebrity Death Pool for 2020?

kms

Cyburbian
Hollywood Squares and Dancing With the Stars also feature celebrities past their prime. The particular thing I'm noticing is all the online articles and other media geared towards exposing/revealing what current life is like for various has-been celebrities.

I think on some level the general public is interested in their lives now because some of the celebrities enjoyed all that fame and fortune and it hasn't always gone well for them. We wonder how we might have done in life if faced with the same circumstances. Plus, there may even be a trace of schadenfreude.....you had the world at your feet and now you're back down to earth with the unwashed masses once again. Hah! How do you like that?!
Every now and then I’m interested to hear the Erin Moran lives in a trailer park in a town I’ve never heard of, but I try not to revel in someone’s less than ideal post celebrity life.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Every now and then I’m interested to hear the Erin Moran lives in a trailer park in a town I’ve never heard of, but I try not to revel in someone’s less than ideal post celebrity life.
Erin Moran and she passed away a couple of years ago. She was living in Southern Indiana at the time.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We put lights up on our house early on Thanksgiving day and I kind of went all out, as in there are white lights all the way up to the peak of the house. Yesterday, the next door neighbor asked why I couldn't have just put up a wreath instead. He said this as it was cold, windy, and he was standing on the roof because his wife commented how nice our house looked and asked him if he could do that too...

Funny thing.... my last name is not Jones.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Little girl that my kids play with informed them yesterday that even though they celebrate Christmas, it is not as big of a deal as Halloween because her mom is a witch and she is going to become a witch too. For a moment I thought she was kidding then the mom yelled out from the front porch "only if you pass all your training" and then I realized that she was serious.

They are nice people so as long as they don't put a spell on my family or I, then I am good with it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
They are nice people so as long as they don't put a spell on my family or I, then I am good with it.
Well....there are good spells, ya know.

I'd be willing to entertain any possible advantage. ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Planit that posting proves that you are truly a Cyburbian by making such a topical MP reference.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

She turned me into a newt!

....well, I got better.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Grrr-I don't know what is worse about buymas. The incessant ads to buy crap that are literally everywhere. Black Friday, Cyber Monday and heaven knows which have totally overshadowed the actual holidays. This alone has totally ruined the holiday. Now we are being constantly hit up by charities. Why can't we step back and allow people to simply enjoy the holidays?

Reactions: JNA

Planit

Cyburbian
When I said goodbye to The Girl this morning she said "Oh you have a tie on. There must be a meeting tonight."

Planit

Cyburbian
Are we becoming those annoying 1990s-style neckbeards who would recite one-liners from Monty Python at random? You know, that one person, who blurts out "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!" like it's some kind of tic.

And now for something completely different.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Are we becoming those annoying 1990s-style neckbeards who would recite one-liners from Monty Python at random? You know, that one person, who blurts out "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!" like it's some kind of tic.
"are we becoming" suggests a change of state or condition. Be advised, that some of us have always been annoying MP/Star Trek quoting neckbeards long before it became fashionable, thankyouverymuch!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
whew - 2 hour drive to work today - ice/rain/sleet/snow is wintry mix I guess
Newark was a mess with the delayed school opening and lack of plowing/salting activity especially around schools not on county roads or main thoroughfares.

I stuck to the county roads to go to work, no issues whatsoever.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Grrr-I don't know what is worse about buymas. The incessant ads to buy crap that are literally everywhere. Black Friday, Cyber Monday and heaven knows which have totally overshadowed the actual holidays. This alone has totally ruined the holiday. Now we are being constantly hit up by charities. Why can't we step back and allow people to simply enjoy the holidays?
Don't get me wrong. I contribute to charities. I also understand that this is the time of year when people give. A lot of them are worthwhile. However, it just adds to the cheapening of the holiday, be it secular or religious. It, intentionally or unintentionally makes the holiday all about money.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Don't get me wrong. I contribute to charities. I also understand that this is the time of year when people give. A lot of them are worthwhile. However, it just adds to the cheapening of the holiday, be it secular or religious. It, intentionally or unintentionally makes the holiday all about money.
I have issues with some of the administration costs for some of these charities. Therefore the one that we focus on the most is Operation Christmas Child.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
When in Target I like to say loudly, now why don't they have blue pillows, when I am in the office section. Twice so far an associate has come up and said I am in the wrong department, I need to look in the home section.

I assume this means there are people who actually are looking for pillows in the office section?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I would love to see school systems attach the long LED whip bar lights to the little flip out stop sign on the buses to get cars to stop. If a light whip flaps out in front of you and you need to stop to prevent from hitting, you might be more obliged to stop.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
well, my toy Australian shepherd got into the trash and ate the cheesecloth that we used to cover the turkey with for thanksgiving - $3,000 later with surgery to remove it so Merry Christmas - I am glad she's okay but wtf
Wow, what a serious blow. That's awful. At least the doggo is okay.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[Ring Tone]
Me - Hello?
Caller - [Stammering a little] Uh, Hi. Can I speak to Joanna?
M - No.
C - Uh, is she not available?
M - Yes.
C - Yes, she's available, or no?
M - No, she is not available.
C - Can you take a message?
M - No. And if I could, she wouldn't get it.
C - Why not?
M - She's my ex. Somebody sold you a really old phone list since she's had nothing to do with this phone in four years.
C - Well, maybe you would like to help out the Troopers' Association?
M - Uh, definitely no.
[Click][Dial Tone]

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Sweet tea is all relative. Mainly due to the sweet part. Tea is just... tea.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have issues with some of the administration costs for some of these charities. Therefore the one that we focus on the most is Operation Christmas Child.
Having worked for nearly a decade for non-profits I hope you do realize that there is a lot of overhead (rent, mortgage, property tax, utilities, operating insurance, health insurance, salaries, payroll taxes, maintenance, etc.) that needs to be covered. Many grant funds that non-profits receive either do not cover administrative costs or just a small portion of them (such as the staff person assigned to the activity/service/program). You can always look at a non-profit's 990 IRS filing (except for religious orgs, but they should be happy to share their audit with you) which lists how much salary the top 10 highest paid employees and what they are spending their funding on.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Special Santa Claus, Ind. postmark is now available

Both the design contest and getting the postmark are a big deal in Southwest Indiana.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Not being able to sleep is not an enjoyable thing. I wish it was just insomnia, but I have a sleep study, blood work, and a few other tests being done between now and the end of the year.