• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
HVAC is sending an enticing aroma of ham or bacon through the office. It’s so dreamy....
Ours was stuck on yet again this weekend. It was 80 when I got in this morning but I think it was much higher than that initially. Apparently the floors bubbled up again. The water in my water bottle is warm to the touch.

Facilities made a big deal about these "wifi connected thermostats" and how it would enable them to check in at any time. What's the use if he doesn't check it?! I'd imagine they have the capability to text his phone when a certain temperature is reached, both high and low.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I have a hard time watching the NBA. It is really terrible. Especially James Harden, who is just a Kobe-like ball hog. Turns out it is easy to score 50+ points a night when you take 40 shots.
I like college bball, but not the pro game. Too much showboating and not enough real basketball. With football, it's flipped. I like the polish of the pro game. I have never cared for the college game. I also went to a basketball school, not a football school in college. I like all levels of baseball and none of hockey.

Last edited:

Bubba

Cyburbian
The walking though.... lol. Well I guess at least I know someone likes it... ;)
The one shot a few weeks ago when he was allowed to take three or four steps after what should have drawn a travelling call was the worst I've seen since Patrick Ewing got away with taking six steps after catching a pass and never putting the ball on the floor. But, I don't have a issue in general with Harden - it's not his fault that the NBA is unwatchable relative to college basketball.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Why doesn't that surprise me. :rolleyes:

I use my phone for a variety things. Calls. texts, gaming (non betting) I'll do internet searches on it when I'm not at home, fb, map program. The gf uses it for directions when we go someplace. I check the weather on it.
I also use it to take and store pictures.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I found a buffalo nickel under a base board in my nearly 100 year old house yesterday. The coin has seen better days. It was so worn that I couldn't make out the date. It's the 4th or 5th coin that have found under a base board and the first on that wasn't a penny.

I tried to buy a new pair of shoes online saturday morning. Thanks to amazon and their "people who looked at this also looked at these items"; I bought a new fly fishing reel. I am not sure of the conection but I am not going to question it.

Gedunker

Moderating
I went to the Pro Bowl in - like - 1996ish? Let's just say you wanted to give the Hawai'ians a wide, wide berth when you walked under the open walkways at the four corners of the stadium, lest you take a golden shower.

Sadly, that was the mest memorable take-away from that game.:wow:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
The Board of Supervisors' agenda says they'll be appointing our new PD tomorrow morning, but I haven't heard a word on who this mystery person will be. . . suspense, argh!!!

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Board of Supervisors' agenda says they'll be appointing our new PD tomorrow morning, but I haven't heard a word on who this mystery person will be. . . suspense, argh!!!
That kinda seems weird. Wouldn't you think they'd let department folks have some idea ahead of time?

terraplnr

Cyburbian
That kinda seems weird. Wouldn't you think they'd let department folks have some idea ahead of time?
Yeah one would think! :confused: Or, if they were expecting to have someone appointed tomorrow but aren't actually ready yet, they could let us know that too so we aren't guessing. Staff communication is not a strong suit here.

Sending out requests to people I'd like to be part of a conference panel I'm putting together is a little nerve-wracking. :roflmao:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Whatever desire I ever had to get stubby ratcheting wrenches is gone.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I didn't get a request. I am a good speaker o_O
We should put together a panel for the college students - "What Planning Is REALLY like on the Central Coast!" But all attendees must show a valid college ID, and must surrender their phones/recording devices at the door. :roflmao:

Hink

OH....IO
I am going to wear a coat and gloves all day today and tomorrow. In the office, in my car, in my house. I don't care. This is just silly.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
*** Detroit Development Manager, Ford Motor Company ***
Indeed ad has more details. Sorry I can't find the salary.
  • Experience developing new urban design & planning project proposals, providing strong design direction on projects, and experience winning public support for such proposals.
  • Strong research, writing and presentation skills, excellent conceptual design skills with land use and physical planning experience, and inherent curiosity to explore new methods and opportunities to think outside the box.
  • Comfortable with large group facilitation, public presentation and community engagement.
  • Highly-motivated, self-directed planner who has initiated, developed and implemented complex and multi-use urban planning projects • Assertive and collaborative individual capable of maintaining momentum.
  • High ethical judgment, understands confidentiality in all aspects of work; shows a commitment to work and dedication to the project

• Master’s degree in urban planning or business administration with a focus on real estate finance and development or relevant field strongly preferred.
  • 10+ years successful experience in managing large scale developments, capital projects, and pre-development activities.
I actually love my job and I have no intention of leaving, not to mention moving my family across country (in the wrong direction from home) however... I want this job. A planner for Ford?!! Sign me up!!

AG74683

Cyburbian
I had an NOV served on a property by the Sheriff's Department yesterday. Is that a merit badge?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
After years of hearing people yap about comic books, I broke down and downloaded "A Killing Joke" one of the supposed seminal works. It was dark, weird gritty and simplistic. I don't get it. I read comic way back in the '70s when I was a kid. I was fan of X-Men. I've seen most of the superhero movies. Again, just I don't get the appeal.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Just a quick capitalization question. Would it be Central New York or central New York?
Option A.

I had an NOV served on a property by the Sheriff's Department yesterday. Is that a merit badge?
My department once had the privilege of serving an NOV and Stop Work Order TO the neighboring municipality (who owned property in our municipality). It deserved a merit badge for sure!

AG74683

Cyburbian
After years of hearing people yap about comic books, I broke down and downloaded "A Killing Joke" one of the supposed seminal works. It was dark, weird gritty and simplistic. I don't get it. I read comic way back in the '70s when I was a kid. I was fan of X-Men. I've seen most of the superhero movies. Again, just I don't get the appeal.
Some are better than others. Try Kingdom Come. That one was pretty good. Also Watchmen. I haven't read any for a long time. I used to have a few I actually subscribed to and picked up at the comic book store every week in high school. There's no reason to buy them in hard copies anymore, digital is way better.

DVD

Cyburbian
We should put together a panel for the college students - "What Planning Is REALLY like on the Central Coast!" But all attendees must show a valid college ID, and must surrender their phones/recording devices at the door. :roflmao:
Great session idea. The Merit Badges We Have Earned. Lock up all the phones and have people come up if they like. Do it like an AA meeting. Hello, my name is DVD and I'm a planner...I earned my serving a NOV by Sheriff merit badge when...

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I think I might have done something to piss off the the Geography God(s)/Goddess(es). I have been asked to assign a address to a location located somewhere. Nobody knows where this location is but everyone with the exception of myself is in agreement that it needs an address. I can not get folks to understand that I can not assign a physical address to a non-physical location. My question is what do I need to offer to the Geography God(s)/Goddess(es) in order to appease them and gain their favor?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Some are better than others. Try Kingdom Come. That one was pretty good. Also Watchmen. I haven't read any for a long time. I used to have a few I actually subscribed to and picked up at the comic book store every week in high school. There's no reason to buy them in hard copies anymore, digital is way better.
Hopefully Watchmen is better than the movie. I almost walked out on that one. I remember the timeframe Watchmen takes place. I was in HS and college. It definitely has a alternate history/timeframe feel to it.

Today is my aunt's funeral, in all of the bitter cold up there. Since she's half Swede, I suppose a Viking funeral would have been appropriate. Wish I could have been there with them. Rest in Peace CF.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Hopefully Watchmen is better than the movie. I almost walked out on that one. I remember the timeframe Watchmen takes place. I was in HS and college. It definitely has a alternate history/timeframe feel to it.
I'm not a big comic book fan (unless you count Mad Magazine - I'm still waiting for somebody to bring Dave Berg's The Lighter Side of... to the big screen) but I decided to read the Watchmen about a decade ago after hearing all the hype for years and years but my god that movie was horrible.

I am however looking forward to the upcoming HBO Watchmen series.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'm not a big comic book fan (unless you count Mad Magazine - I'm still waiting for somebody to bring Dave Berg's The Lighter Side of... to the big screen) but I decided to read the Watchmen about a decade ago after hearing all the hype for years and years but my god that movie was horrible.
Watchmen is truly a wretched movie. Again, I nearly walked out on it. I've only walked out of one movie in my entire life. I was also Mad magazine fan. The Lighter Side and Spy VS Spy would be great.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh it's definitely better. The end of the comic (or "graphic novel") was way different and made a lot more sense than the stupid movie. The movie lost a lot of the more nuanced things in the novel.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I think I might have done something to piss off the the Geography God(s)/Goddess(es). I have been asked to assign a address to a location located somewhere. Nobody knows where this location is but everyone with the exception of myself is in agreement that it needs an address. I can not get folks to understand that I can not assign a physical address to a non-physical location. My question is what do I need to offer to the Geography God(s)/Goddess(es) in order to appease them and gain their favor?
I am so confused! o_O

Maybe tell them that if someone called the Fire Dept. about a fire at this "address", the FD wouldn't know where to go.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just discovered that there's a Giodano's pizza in Detroit (apparently it's been there a couple years now). I don't care for Chicago-style pizza but I figure maybe once every 6 or 7 years isn't bad. I'm going to have to head down there to check it out.

Watchmen is truly a wretched movie. Again, I nearly walked out on it. I've only walked out of one movie in my entire life.
What movie did you walk out of? I've never walked out of a movie but was very tempted to do so with Mars Attacks.

I did have a date who walked out of Galaxy Quest leaving me there all alone but that's a different story...

AG74683

Cyburbian
What movie did you walk out of? I've never walked out of a movie but was very tempted to do so with Mars Attacks.

I did have a date who walked out of Galaxy Quest leaving me there all alone but that's a different story...
I hope you immediately dumped her because Galaxy Quest is a national treasure!! And FWIW, Mars Attacks was SUPPOSED to be bad.

The only one I've ever walked out on was Dennis the Menace because Christopher Lloyd's character was too scary for 6 year old me.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I actually love my job and I have no intention of leaving, not to mention moving my family across country (in the wrong direction from home) however... I want this job. A planner for Ford?!! Sign me up!!
Growing up in the area, I developed a disdain for the Motor City mentality that made being a cyclist ... complicated. it's one of the main reasons I moved across the state.
However, Bill Ford is my favorite, and not just because he's my age, and I met him at a private birthday party for his mom, then saw him on TV wearing the same exact shirt. He's leading granddad's company in a good direction. Buying the old train station was a genius move.
GM may have bought up the old streetcar lines; Ford is looking beyond the personal motorcar in urban transportation.

I have no affiliation with the company, just a bystander wanting to see the "D" continue its turn-around.

ETA: Indeed sent me some more planner ads for the 313. I will add them to the appropriate spot.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I hope you immediately dumped her because Galaxy Quest is a national treasure!! And FWIW, Mars Attacks was SUPPOSED to be bad.

The only one I've ever walked out on was Dennis the Menace because Christopher Lloyd's character was too scary for 6 year old me.
After about 10 minutes I realized she wasn't coming back but I was too cheap to leave the movie and figure out where she went. It was only our 2nd date (and I didn't drive her there) and when I left the theatre there was a note on my windshield that earlier in the day she and her ex had decided to try and work things out and she felt guilty about going out on a date with me so she went home so I guess I sort of got dumped mid-movie?

I remember not really caring for Galaxy Quest at the time but I think it's slowly obtained a bit of a cult status. I might need to watch that one again. Re: Mars Attacks - I think I just didn't get the humor of it when it was first released because I watched it again one night when our first daughter was born and I was up late with her and thought it was pretty funny. Nowadays, if I see it on cable it's one I'll happily flip over to to watch for a bit.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I could rehash the one I did back in 2013. Maybe we can be savage and do it in meme form and feature planner shark a-dooooo doooo dooo number?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Growing up in the area, I developed a disdain for the Motor City mentality that made being a cyclist ... complicated. it's one of the main reasons I moved across the state.
I don't know if it's related, but whenever I've taken a Google Street View drive through Detroit, I've noticed far more Malaise-era land barges parked in driveways and on the streets, than in any other part of the US I've seen.

1: Visit Google Maps, search for Detroit.
2: Plop down the little Streetview man/woman/genderfluid marker on any street. Go up or down a block.
3: MURICA!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I just discovered that there's a Giodano's pizza in Detroit (apparently it's been there a couple years now). I don't care for Chicago-style pizza but I figure maybe once every 6 or 7 years isn't bad. I'm going to have to head down there to check it out.

Heartbreak Hotel was the film. It was at the dollar movies and I still walked out on it. I liked Galaxy Quest. It was a playful skewering of the Sci-Fi genre and a fun film. It's also one of Tim Allen's better films. Mars Attacks I sat through but wouldn't watch it again. It walked a thin line of celebrating and making fun of 50's era sci-fi films. Either you like Tim Burton films or you don't. Largely I don't like his films.

dw914er

Cyburbian
I remember not really caring for Galaxy Quest at the time but I think it's slowly obtained a bit of a cult status. I might need to watch that one again. Re: Mars Attacks - I think I just didn't get the humor of it when it was first released because I watched it again one night when our first daughter was born and I was up late with her and thought it was pretty funny. Nowadays, if I see it on cable it's one I'll happily flip over to to watch for a bit.
Perhaps the delirium from the lack of sleep helped you see the humor of Mars Attacks. It has been along time since I have seen it, but it was certainly over the top.

Galaxy Quest is a great movie though, in my opinion.

kjel

Super Moderator
My city uses 1/2 addresses :)

I live between 28 1/2 and 30 1/2.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Heartbreak Hotel was the film. It was at the dollar movies and I still walked out on it. I liked Galaxy Quest. It was a playful skewering of the Sci-Fi genre and a fun film. It's also one of Tim Allen's better films. Mars Attacks I sat through but wouldn't watch it again. It walked a thin line of celebrating and making fun of 50's era sci-fi films
Speaking of "thin lines", that reminds me of A Thin Red Line which is another that I nearly walked out of. It had a star-studded cast and was a war movie about the war in the Pacific while I was stationed on Okinawa. It should have been right up my alley! That movie just went on and on forever and meandered all over the place. I can remember that there were like three or four different times in the movie where I thought, "Ahh, this is the end!" and started gathering up my stuff to leave only to be wrong every time.

DVD

Cyburbian
You must complete 3 geography treasure hunts and rebuke 5 flat earthers.

https://collections.storymaps.esri.com/treasure-hunts/

Raf I am so stealing your idea of savage memes for the next conference.